PDA

View Full Version : Need help picking a class!

Joeyco1989
04-05-2020, 07:57 PM
So figured I would turn to the masses.

My main is a monk. Lots of fun and love the ability to get groups. With that said, constant pulling can get tiring, especially when I have real world things going on around me (I.e. having with the fam while playing). As such I am looking to make an alt for when I can’t devote complete attention to pulling or just want to enjoy the game at a more leisurely level.

Before this monk I have always played a tank, so they are out.

What I want is a class that can get a group no problem, but is also pretty good at soloing (lvl30+) in case I need to afk frequently. Classes that come to mind are: necro, mage, chanter, shaman and Druid (didn’t include bard as they seem to be very hands on) - all with varying levels of being desired and groups and being able to solo.

I would rank being desired in a group above the solo ability, as soloing would be for times I can’t devote to a group (but I much prefer grouping)

Any advice?

solleks
04-05-2020, 08:42 PM
Halflign druid - name : Bilbens

ChooChoo Train
04-05-2020, 08:48 PM
Necro or mage. Ench and shaman are super hands on as well but are great options for farming gear in Kunark for monk.

Swish
04-05-2020, 08:55 PM
I would rank being desired in a group above the solo ability

Any advice?

1. Enchanter
2. Shaman

The others aren't so desired, especially at later levels.

Vizax_Xaziv
04-05-2020, 10:15 PM
I would also say Enchanter or Shaman, but:

1) Enchanter is not great if you anticipate frequent AFKs. You will be expected to have a charm pet every time you group (especially 50+ in Kunark) and this makes AFKing a real PITA.
2) Shaman is great, but you will have to be "hands on" insofar as you'll need to be canni-dancing to keep your mana up (as opposed to, say, a Cleric who is just gonna sit and med)

That said I would recommend you go Shaman. It's an absolutely fantastic soloer and HIGHLY desirable for groups! 50+ Kunark groups will often have both a Shaman as well as a Cleric and if you get 60 and Torpor you can fill the role of a Cleric your own self!

Joeyco1989
04-05-2020, 10:26 PM
Thanks everyone for the messages so far! Can you share shaman soloing practices? Is it root and rot?

Menenolly
04-14-2020, 05:18 AM
You can root rot but you can also melee with slow and a dot or two. Add in a pet later and you can watch the pet for a bit and step in to melee while the pet heals itself pretty quickly. I've used melee from 1-37 so far and I don't have hp rings or extra mana. If you can stand being a troll you can really have fun watching your hp regen match your mana regen and play with it. I don't even mem a heal spell while solo.

magnetaress
04-14-2020, 08:55 AM
druid

but consider cleric (they can solo to 50)

Trivonus
04-14-2020, 03:15 PM
Joey,

I am note quite sure that everyone read or understood your question. Let me go through some of the responses:

1) Enchanter - in the entire game, there is no less second-to-second time and mili-second response time required class in the game. At 50+ you will be doing so much you will click more than a bard, and everyone will yell at you if you don't mez the 50 mobs they overpulled while doing top dps (all the dps of the entire group combined) plus keeping up all mind candy and haste buffs. I can't believe this was listed as an option, frankly.
2) Druid - druids don't get groups pretty much 30+. Even if they do, your group will wipe because you have absolutely no ability to heal or recoup mana (w/o manastone or an enchanter buff). Clerics have much more mana efficient heals. Shamans have better regen AND canni. Druids have squat. Don't play a druid (given your above needs) as you will be alone at 30+.
3) Cleric - Yes, you will get groups, but take your eyes off the screen for 5 seconds and your enchanter is dead or your tank is or puller is. No way is this fitting your description.
4) Shaman - EXTREMELY busy class. You will be canni'ing, buffing nonstop, healing, regening, rooting and dmging without pause. There is no "chill" here.
5)Necro - You won't get many groups, in my experience. But, if people are desperate, they will let you in. Everything else fits.
6)Mage - YOUR ANSWER!!! Gets groups instantly every single level until the top tier end of kunark or maybe velious, due to your dps being insane. Also, can solo extremely well. This is your answer.

TripSin
04-14-2020, 10:06 PM
Would also definitely not recommend playing an enchanter if you're looking to be able to AFK while in groups. You don't have to always be active like a puller does, but you do need to pretty much always be paying attention. With charming, even just getting away for a sec to pee is dangerous.

Joeyco1989
04-14-2020, 11:29 PM
Thanks for all the input and insights.

Only slight clarification I would add... I don’t not mind a busy call during grouping, but as a puller - running back and forth to get and deliver mobs for hours is tiring. Even busy classes such as chanters - I imagine - a bit more manageable hour after hour.

I am also looking for a class that can solo if day I am working and want to afk between pull - if I’m playing like this I would solo, not group.

Regardless. All very helpful! Think I’m leaning shaman or mage.

Trivonus
04-15-2020, 12:09 AM
mage

Swish
04-15-2020, 12:24 AM
Both good choices ^^

Taiku
04-15-2020, 12:57 AM
Necro is super chill, I'm biased, but being able to feign death ANYWHERE if you need to afk, is really comfy. Pet dps, superior mana regen and life taps, you can root-rot, agro kite, fear kite, so many options! And you're already evil so you can kill guards and it's in character!