PDA

View Full Version : Would you reroll your class if you could?

Dezik
03-29-2020, 09:25 PM
Hi all,

I started on green at launch but could not play for real life reasons. I am now considering coming back but kind of want to know given the current state of the server how everyone's experience with their main class is going? I rolled a Necro initially thinking it would be good to have a class that can solo, isn't gear reliant and can farm money for me later on. However, I am intent on trying to group as much as I am able to to enjoy the social aspect of the game and am worried that Necro isn't the most group friendly class (i know skilled players can overcome this stereotype, just not sure how many others realize this).

Anyways, simple question, if you could reroll your main now would you and what would you roll knowing what you know now?

Thanks!

Swish
03-29-2020, 10:39 PM
I wanted full hardcore mode for green. A dark elf warrior. I don't regret the choice but the equipment available in the first week or two was so limited it was hard to get the cash for a suit of banded.

If I could do it again I'd probably go with a druid, like a lot of people did lol

magnetaress
03-29-2020, 10:56 PM
Looking at the pop n considering the pop discussion thread. Take your time and take a year to get your main to 40+. Farm easy stuff for money or solo afk boredom. There's always minotaur axes & light stones. 300pp will make you a master Smith n a rogue can easily pick pocket that within a week.

That said, this is the insane way I use to play red. I had a lot of fun this way. And I actually know very little about green. When I came back I took a month to level a necro, and I am really glad I did. Starting out a wizard with 400 mana and an SMR has been a total blast.

Ivory
03-29-2020, 11:43 PM
Rogue is most fun....especially non twinked (since you can start makin some real money at level 7 when you get pick pocket! then go around robbing cities for shields or sneakin down into dungeons where people don't care about their treasure....like I was in runnyeye earlier and a group wasn't looting anything and were just letting fine steel rot!!).

Leveling also isn't bad, since you got all that nice moneys to get a good bow and potions and weapons. So as long as you go adventuring and get moneys, then by the time you are ready to level up some you are quite fancy.

BlackBellamy
03-30-2020, 12:19 AM
if you could reroll your main now would you and what would you roll knowing what you know now?

what do you mean "would you reroll your class if you could"? what is stopping anyone from deleting their char and starting another one with the same name?

solleks
03-30-2020, 12:22 AM
we've all played every class 100 times in the year 1 a.b.

Dezik
03-30-2020, 12:24 AM
what do you mean "would you reroll your class if you could"? what is stopping anyone from deleting their char and starting another one with the same name?

I mean if you could do it over from the start...

Thanks all for the input so far! I never thought of playing a rogue like that that's a great idea lol.

we've all played every class 100 times in the year 1 a.b.

Well... i havn't.. and I appreciate the advice from those from you who have.

Vizax_Xaziv
03-30-2020, 12:43 AM
Necros are criminally underrated on regards to their grouping capabilities.

Play well and ull have no problem getting a group as a Necro on Green

Cen
03-30-2020, 12:51 AM
I started on Green as a Human Ranger named Cenro, and a Cleric named Cenbo, a halfling.
I got the Cleric to level 14, and the Ranger also to 14.
I deleted the Cleric, and remade into a Barbarian Shaman.
I got that Barbarian Shaman to level 12
I deleted the Barbarian Shaman, and remade it into a Halfling Cleric again, which I leveled to 35 and got a guise.

I made a Ogre Shaman named Cenki got it to level 5, and deleted it, remaking that into a Human Warrior named Cenki which I got to level 8. I deleted that and remade that into a Barbarian Shaman which I got to level 5. I deleted that and remade it into a Human Warrior, and got it to level 16. I deleted that Warrior and made Cenki into a Wood Elf Ranger, which I got to 35. I got into a list for the guise, got from slot 12 to slot 1, got really tired, almost passed out, GAVE UP MY SLOT 1, and haven't logged back into the game whatsoever.

I'm debating remaking my Ranger for some reason to something that doesn't need a guise, but then I might delete that again and such.

I don't even know what the fuck i'm doing to be honest. I decided I didn't want to reuse my blue names so im less confused after a merger with blue later ;D So I have that lowbie ranger named Cenro still too, but I wont use him for anything, since Cenro is my blue bard.

You ask if I would reroll if I could? I have, I would, and I would again.

I won't reroll anything that obtains a legacy item though. My Halfling cleric is locked in for life.

solleks
03-30-2020, 12:57 AM
If you are a man of taste who enjoys a slow burn i recommend a troll shadow knight

Tethler
03-30-2020, 03:45 AM
If you are a man of taste who enjoys a slow burn i recommend a troll shadow knight

I leveled my troll SK on blue into the 40's pre-velious. Never again.

He's still sitting at like 44 to this day.

magnetaress
03-30-2020, 08:50 AM

Oh come on, you're almost there, just 1 more mile.

Swish
03-30-2020, 09:26 AM

My first main on P99 was a troll SK, similarly he got to 41 and the XP bar stopped forever - plus the issues getting a group tank slot in Sol B at the time with only 1-2 real possible camps.....eh... made a cleric and continued my journey :)

BlackBellamy
03-30-2020, 10:13 AM
I mean if you could do it over from the start...

I'd be a six-foot girl. Asian.

magnetaress
03-30-2020, 01:03 PM
I'd be a six-foot girl. Asian.

Petite, 5'2'' with super gorilla strength and amazing agility and balance. Long blond hair, dark green emerald eyes. And a perfect mind. ;)

ldgo86
03-30-2020, 03:21 PM
Would of gone Hobbit Warrior from the start instead of dragging through a Necro for the 3rd time. Being twinked is nice tho.

El-Hefe
03-30-2020, 03:40 PM
Nah, I’d stay Enchanter.

I picked the best one on the first try!

Lendari
03-30-2020, 09:54 PM
As a 35 mage, I feel like enchanters are just better in ever possible way. Better pet when they charm and then all the utility from mez, clarity and haste. It's kinda crazy how good that class is.

Cen
03-30-2020, 11:26 PM
As a 35 mage, I feel like enchanters are just better in ever possible way. Better pet when they charm and then all the utility from mez, clarity and haste. It's kinda crazy how good that class is.

Yep, the game isn't balanced. Broken record here, but if Magician and Wizard were both merged into one caster class, with all their spells, abilities, powers, and even their epics were combined into one epic power.. they MIGHT be as strong as an enchanter, but probably not.

choppedandglued
03-30-2020, 11:37 PM
I made a druid on green. My first druid. I really wish I meet this class on live. I feel like it's the best class in the game, and I'm in love with it.

Lendari
03-31-2020, 08:10 AM
I made a druid on green. My first druid. I really wish I meet this class on live. I feel like it's the best class in the game, and I'm in love with it.

Druids really drop off in power after about level 40. By level 60 they will be considered a "backup healer" without any other meaningful utility to offer. Especially when fighting in a dungeon or other "indoor" locations where many spells are not usable. This is because greater heal is not mana efficient enough to heal a fully geared tank (and the rest of the party) through continuous pulls. While the same issue affects shaman, they have slow which greatly reduces damage on the tank and they have haste/tash and melee stat buffs that will always result in them getting picked over a druid for an xp group.

If you really want to play a druid to max level get ready for a lot of solo quad kiting sessions.

solleks
03-31-2020, 09:03 AM
Druids really drop off in power after about level 40. By level 60 they will be considered a "backup healer" without any other meaningful utility to offer. Especially when fighting in a dungeon or other "indoor" locations where many spells are not usable. This is because greater heal is not mana efficient enough to heal a fully geared tank (and the rest of the party) through continuous pulls. While the same issue affects shaman, they have slow which greatly reduces damage on the tank and they have haste/tash and melee stat buffs that will always result in them getting picked over a druid for an xp group.

If you really want to play a druid to max level get ready for a lot of solo quad kiting sessions.

So wrong

magnetaress
03-31-2020, 09:08 AM
Wizards are the best.

Lampolo
03-31-2020, 12:40 PM
Please dont be a hybrid. Every group im in has a hybrid. Also necro is good dps class for groups. I dont mind necros

Videri
03-31-2020, 05:41 PM
So wrong

Yeah, I just hit 49 on my druid and she is such a powerhouse. Yes, she can't bulldoze a dungeon like an enchanter or shaman, and she can only main heal because I have a manastone, but anything else, she can do. Quadding, root-rotting, charming mobs in Kedge, two-shotting yun shamans in Lower Guk with Starfire, Skin Like Nature is a huge HP buff with +2 hp regen...every class has limits, but druids are strong in many ways.

I won't be maining her, however. I'm going either warrior or cleric this time around.

Videri
03-31-2020, 05:48 PM
Yep, the game isn't balanced. Broken record here, but if Magician and Wizard were both merged into one caster class, with all their spells, abilities, powers, and even their epics were combined into one epic power.. they MIGHT be as strong as an enchanter, but probably not.

Have you heard of this notion that if they gave Clarity to wizards instead of enchanters, it would balance both classes? I think I like the idea.

And ya know, I actually think there's something to appreciate in how tightly-focused wizards are. Nukes; and root/stun/dispel/ports. Lots of sitting, lots of downtime, lots of time to socialize and plan. I enjoyed playing my wizard on Blue to 55. I was doing the quad + afk tactic a lot of the time, with chores/workouts/other games in between. :p

I also think high-downtime roles like wizard and cleric are good for players who like to contribute in the form of leadership or socializing. It's hard to type out plans and suggestions while chasing NPCs around or spamming CC spells. As a sitter, you have the luxury of assessing the situation and making calls.

Videri
03-31-2020, 05:50 PM
Also necro is good dps class for groups. I dont mind necros

Necros who actually use their mez or their healing spells get an instant /friend from me. They can be great at single-pulling a mob from a dangerous crowd, too.

Videri
03-31-2020, 05:53 PM
I started on Green as a Human Ranger named Cenro, and a Cleric named Cenbo, a halfling.
I got the Cleric to level 14, and the Ranger also to 14.
I deleted the Cleric, and remade into a Barbarian Shaman.
I got that Barbarian Shaman to level 12
I deleted the Barbarian Shaman, and remade it into a Halfling Cleric again, which I leveled to 35 and got a guise.

I made a Ogre Shaman named Cenki got it to level 5, and deleted it, remaking that into a Human Warrior named Cenki which I got to level 8. I deleted that and remade that into a Barbarian Shaman which I got to level 5. I deleted that and remade it into a Human Warrior, and got it to level 16. I deleted that Warrior and made Cenki into a Wood Elf Ranger, which I got to 35. I got into a list for the guise, got from slot 12 to slot 1, got really tired, almost passed out, GAVE UP MY SLOT 1, and haven't logged back into the game whatsoever.

I'm debating remaking my Ranger for some reason to something that doesn't need a guise, but then I might delete that again and such.

Cenbro. Consider the amount of time you'd save if you stopped deleting characters EVER. Just keep 'em around. You never know when you'll want to park a level 4 or 10 or 20 character in some zone.

Imagine if you hadn'd deleted your level 12 Barbarian shaman. You could level him to 14 before Kunark and bind it at the TD firepots. Then, if you feel like playing a shaman someday, you have a level 14 shaman bound at the firepots.

Just come up with a few more suffixes, ok? Like -sored, -turion, -terfold...the possibilities are endless.

Eshez
03-31-2020, 05:56 PM
Have you heard of this notion that if they gave Clarity to wizards instead of enchanters, it would balance both classes? I think I like the idea.

And ya know, I actually think there's something to appreciate in how tightly-focused wizards are. Nukes; and root/stun/dispel/ports. Lots of sitting, lots of downtime, lots of time to socialize and plan. I enjoyed playing my wizard on Blue to 55. I was doing the quad + afk tactic a lot of the time, with chores/workouts/other games in between. :p

I also think high-downtime roles like wizard and cleric are good for players who like to contribute in the form of leadership or socializing. It's hard to type out plans and suggestions while chasing NPCs around or spamming CC spells. As a sitter, you have the luxury of assessing the situation and making calls.

I've always said that it would help a lot if wizards got clarity. Would have made them a lot more group friendly.

NPC
03-31-2020, 08:20 PM

That's because the original devs actually played EQ, the game they made, an buffed the classes they played while the others got the shaft an they didn't care. Shamans get SoW, Root, awesome heals, regen, make potions that Port, get easy azz to get clickable snare item, pets, Kunark armor with clickable free dot, clickable free DD.
Chanty -Charm enough said.
Cleric- Complete heal enough said.
Any tard could have balanced these classes, they didn't care.

Fires of Heaven was a developer run guild, they would patch the game with new content, then immediately jump on their characters and raid the content they just patched. That's why they were the biggest, most successful guild. If you're raiding content you made, I'm pretty sure that's what they call bullshit.

NPC
03-31-2020, 08:33 PM
Yeah, I just hit 49 on my druid and she is such a powerhouse. Yes, she can't bulldoze a dungeon like an enchanter or shaman, and she can only main heal because I have a manastone, but anything else, she can do. Quadding, root-rotting, charming mobs in Kedge, two-shotting yun shamans in Lower Guk with Starfire, Skin Like Nature is a huge HP buff with +2 hp regen...every class has limits, but druids are strong in many ways.

I won't be maining her, however. I'm going either warrior or cleric this time around.

Druids are ok now, but when kunark hits an all the 50+ lv mobs have 20k hps, you will spend your whole mana bar HELPING the group kill 2-3 mobs. Those spells you have that do 20% of mobs life bar in one cast? You will have to cast it like 5-6 times to do that same 20% in Kunark. The real problem is the HP buffs mobs keep getting the higher level you go. 1st example Hill Giants 2500hp, but spectre, griffons, deep aqua goblins, all same level as giants, but have 1k less hps. Kunark is way, way worse. 40th level hps start doubling on mobs, 45th level they triple, 50th an kunark they quadruple, and it just keeps going. Casters start to get the shaft as melee's are a complete heal away from infinite damage. Casters doing spell damage have to spend so much time medding due to the insane increase in mob HPs. If you cannot help do or augment melee damage in Kunark you start to fall to the way side as a class.

So for the record, chanters are the best simply do to this reason, they can augment melee damage with haste, they can do melee damage with charmed pets, then haste those pets an hand them magic weapons an armor. They can also mez, and do DD damage, tash, clarity, slow. I think they have kitchen sink some place too.

NPC
03-31-2020, 08:40 PM
I've always said that it would help a lot if wizards got clarity. Would have made them a lot more group friendly.

They did, they gave them familiars, in Luclin? That's basically self only clarity. I think the 1st familiar is 2/per tick, next one is 4/per tick, i think you can get an AA familiar with like 6 mana per tick, then I believe the last is 8 mana per tick.

magnetaress
03-31-2020, 08:41 PM
I kinda don't disagree with you all. However chillin out in TD on a Wiz or Dru is really nice.

I just helped a CR in a green zone on my necro. I was so confused.. My DD had a long cool down, n took half of my mana.

The saving grace was the freedom to pet back & attack green to it mobs.

I am going back to blowing up stuff in the Xorbb Gorge on my wizard with a ton of gratitude for root, gate, and fun nukes.

magnetaress
03-31-2020, 08:45 PM
They did, they gave them familiars, in Luclin? That's basically self only clarity. I think the 1st familiar is 2/per tick, next one is 4/per tick, i think you can get an AA familiar with like 6 mana per tick, then I believe the last is 8 mana per tick.

Luclin was awesome. The familiar was my favorite addition. Even the first one which was just a slight +mana buff and fizzle buff.

Wizards got more amazing as they were able to resist stuff n rune themselves against AoE magic by pop, ldon.

Christina.
03-31-2020, 09:20 PM
Luclin was cool. It introduced gnomes and halfling Knights. Vah Shir race, Beastlords, AA's and new models.. the Nexus was cool too.

Sorry this was off of the topic but after magnetaress made me think of luclin lol

mai.cj
04-01-2020, 12:32 AM
Luclin was cool. It introduced gnomes and halfling Knights. Vah Shir race, Beastlords, AA's and new models.. the Nexus was cool too.

I think I thought Luclin was not cool because of all those reasons. Except AA. I like horizontal progression options. Vah Shir and Beastlords were crap ideas. Should have just given pets to druids and/or rangers.

Frug
04-01-2020, 09:57 AM
I liked BLs and AA's. Moon cats, not my thing.

larper99
04-01-2020, 01:16 PM
Actually, the designers seemed to base the Wizard class from both the Tolkien model and from other fantasy where Wizards were isolated, aloof, and selfish power mongers.

So, like Necros, they shouldn't be too group oriented, per se. But they should be able to be effective in a group, which seems to be the general consensus that they are not.

Since Necros have the logical ability to sacrifice Health (ie, Life) for Mana (Power), Wizards should similarly be able to sacrifice Endurance(ie, Strength, vitality) for Mana (Power).

Endurance seems to be a relatively unused statistic in the game. The Bard gets a Endurance regen song which I have never used, nor seen a need to use. If Endurance were more dynamic in game like Health and Mana, the Wizard tapping into it would be similar to a Necro tapping into Health. Now, a Bard would have a reason to play Jaxan's. The group could feed Endurance to a Wiz when needed. Food would play a bigger role in the game. Etc.

Don't give then clarity. Give them something that makes them different, with different mechanics than other classes, like Necros. Yeah, that makes it a different game altogether, not classic EQ. The game always seems to have the feel of being unfinished, like it was a prototype. It should have been "finished", not constantly patched and extended.

magnetaress
04-01-2020, 01:42 PM
I really don't mind that wizards don't have clarity even though I thought about it a lot yesterday before reading these posts.

I would settle for a double sized mana pool. As well. Something that would let a wiz pump out 20k in damage. Ya, raids. But whatever the game wasn't balanced around raids when it was started.

This would make it feasible for a classic wiz to solo frenzy, lord, and ice, and fire giants, with reasonable ease. This is what they lack in classic.

Once kunark hits, wizards get amazing tools and stay on par with all the other classes.

Wizards are bookish, so a 30-40 minute med time from 0 to FM wouldn't be unreasonable, and would work fine in groups as wizards would have more leeway to manage their resources appropriately. Do I delete this mob? Or do I just do some dps to speed this along? Do I make this mob flee? It would play into the strategic gameplay of a wizard.

Cen
04-01-2020, 02:39 PM

Cenbro. Consider the amount of time you'd save if you stopped deleting characters EVER. Just keep 'em around. You never know when you'll want to park a level 4 or 10 or 20 character in some zone.

Imagine if you hadn'd deleted your level 12 Barbarian shaman. You could level him to 14 before Kunark and bind it at the TD firepots. Then, if you feel like playing a shaman someday, you have a level 14 shaman bound at the firepots.

Just come up with a few more suffixes, ok? Like -sored, -turion, -terfold...the possibilities are endless.

I concur with everything. I wish I wasn't a crazy person, and that Wizards ran on a different type of mana hardcoding like bards do, that makes theirs regen super fast all the time. Wizards with a whole spell line of 100% free nukes might not even be the most OP thing in the world.

TheRusty
04-02-2020, 03:51 PM
I'm happy with enchanter, but I probably wouldn't have made mine a human if I could go back and re-do. Only went human because I started on day 1 and FP /Qeynos newbie yards have highest spawn density of any newbie yard, so it was the only way to get level 2 within five hours :D

magnetaress
04-02-2020, 04:07 PM
I concur with everything. I wish I wasn't a crazy person, and that Wizards ran on a different type of mana hardcoding like bards do, that makes theirs regen super fast all the time. Wizards with a whole spell line of 100% free nukes might not even be the most OP thing in the world.

There's always wizard clickies come kubark.

Christina.
04-02-2020, 04:35 PM
I feel as if every class is the way it was intended to be. Think about it..if this game was balanced, it would suck and not be Everquest. A warriors job is to lead a group into battle so he's going to be group dependent for the most part. An enchanter is an illusionist, a controller of the "mind"..it made sense an played into the lore that they'd be able to give other players mental "clarity" and change NPCs perception of reality.. necromancers do exactly what necromancers should do..cast plagues, curses and control undead. paladin's are holy warriors , sks etc etc. I personally think the devs did an awesome job on everquest and made it to where us player would need each other, somewhere down the line..wether if it's just for a portal opening or an increase of run speed lol.

Albane
04-03-2020, 12:03 PM
However, I am intent on trying to group as much as I am able to to enjoy the social aspect of the game and am worried that Necro isn't the most group friendly class

What part of Necros is not group friendly?
- Their CC abilities
- Their DMF buff
- Their ability to offtank
- Charm undead
- Lull half of Lower Guk
- Solo pull
- Top tier dps (DD, pet and/or DoTs)
- Ability to self heal
- ability to heal others
- Their lack of a huge xp penalty

Any group that doesn't want a necro is a group you should avoid.

solleks
04-03-2020, 12:13 PM
necros dominate