PDA

View Full Version : shakespearean firepot dilemma

Seducio
03-16-2020, 08:18 PM
I've experienced both having firepot access and not having it and am seeking a discussion on whether firepots is worth it or not for various classes.

I had one character bind at firepots on blue. As a epic Enchanter this made him extremely self sufficient almost never needing a port except for Planes. One negative was that dieing deep in a dungeon while soloing would take longer to CR than if I was bound at dungeon entrance. Although still bound there it became harder to justify in Velious era.

On the other hand I had another character on blue who was unable to bind at firepots because of when he was created. This character was a Torpor Shaman had to rely on binding near dungeons. For travel he relied on his OT hammer and Porters to get around. But he was able to get back quick in a dungeon if he died because he was usually bound right outside.

Currently I am undecided whether I want to bind at firepots on green.

Do you plan to bind at the firepots in November, why/what class, and for how long?

Does anyone have actual experience as a melee character bound at firepots and what its like day-to-day for a melee?

Appreciate any and all positive discussion

Jibartik
03-16-2020, 08:23 PM
It's extremely nice for a melee raid toon!

Balimon
03-16-2020, 10:40 PM
Definitely going to bind at firepots, it's a one time shot. You can change your mind later, so why not? There is something to be said about being able to bind in Velious, but with the thurg gate potions I don't see the need, same with OT hammer.

MaCtastic
03-16-2020, 10:58 PM
What firepot?

Nuggie
03-16-2020, 11:05 PM
I had a necro and druid bound at firepots on Blue. I can say it greatly hindered by druid and made things better for my necro.

I had access to a firepot bound cleric, which was extremely helpful as a ress-bot for the guild but would hinder CR'ing in grouping efforts in dungeons like you said. Firepot bound porters are good for guild-bots for the quick access to halas and to a lesser extent other starting cities.

In kunark any class that can't invis themselves after death aren't gaining much, since they cant go through Cab without help or extraneous effort with faction. Most binding classes are generally better off binding where they are exping/farming.

That said, I'm binding my cleric at firepots, but leaving my Mage able to bind at dungeons.

Sunderfury
03-16-2020, 11:48 PM
I'm confused... isn't it everyone's dream to wake the sleeper in full rubicite, whilst holding manastone, dropped jboots in inventory, guise active, and during warder death cry hit hotkey:
/dance, pause 5
/charinfo, pause 5 (shows bound in TD)
/say Sorry you didn't get warder loot
Taking a screenshot...

???

Furitor
03-17-2020, 12:04 AM
I'm confused... isn't it everyone's dream to wake the sleeper in full rubicite, whilst holding manastone, dropped jboots in inventory, guise active, and during warder death cry hit hotkey:

Taking a screenshot...

???

I didn't realize it was my dream, but now that you mention it... I guess it is.

Videri
03-17-2020, 12:09 AM
What firepot?

The Firepot room in Timorous Deep (Kunark) contains 9 firepots of different styles that teleport you to 9 cities. Here's a good guide on the Wiki (http://wiki.project1999.com/Firepot#Timorous_Deep_Teleportation_Room_Guide).

You can bind in Timorous Deep for the first few days of its existence. For non-port classes, this gives access to most of Norrath via gating to the Firepots and clicking wherever you want to go.

Please note: it's better to bind on top of the spires outside the firepot room, since you can't get back up out of the firepot room. This allows you access not only to all 9 teleporters, but to Timorous Deep itself (Faydedar, quest turn-ins, interesting mobs, and boats to several places).

Naxy
03-17-2020, 03:30 AM
And still no access to Qeynos. They didn’t like Qeynos much.

Tethler
03-17-2020, 04:44 AM
I'll be levleing an alt account cleric to be a rez bot. He'll be bound at pots with 0 regrets.

Besides that, my only other class that can bind is wizard, which doesn't really need the mobility.

Cen
03-17-2020, 08:49 AM
If you bind at firepots, it will be ruined by someone in your group someday binding you somewhere else against your will. If you dont, you cant get f'ed over :D

Erati
03-17-2020, 10:00 AM
firepots suck ( unless you are moblizing for enchanter epic mobs)

Bind at the VP door for a real raider's use of 10k.

magnetaress
03-17-2020, 10:25 AM
Only melee should firepot. Always have a cleric handy for CRs

aubie
03-17-2020, 12:45 PM
What's minimum level to access TD? And if melee it's better to bind above spires correct? I have a monk I want to put there.

Shaman bound there on blue and I think it's great, but only casual player, not a raider.

Videri
03-17-2020, 03:35 PM
Real quick, how are people planning to bind their melee at the firepots? Are you guys going to farm a Locket of Escape in the first few days of the server, or pay someone for a Locket click? I thought the Locket would be removed in a matter of days. Not so?

And then are you going to buy Gate potions during 8 months of Kunark before Translocate is added in Velious?

Videri
03-17-2020, 03:54 PM
And if melee it's better to bind above spires correct?

For any class, it's better to bind above the spires. No one can get out of the firepot room. Binding on top of the spires is like a tenth firepot that lets you go elsewhere in Timorous Deep. It might not be needed much, but it's cool.

Seducio
03-17-2020, 07:52 PM
Thanks for the varied responses. Hence the dilemma.

So it seems Wizards and Druids are a def no at firepots. The loss of binding wherever is too large a cost for classes that can already move around Norrath with ease.

Clerics, Necros, Enchanters, Shaman, and Mages can gate and get Teleportation abilities if they bind at firepots. They lose onsite and near dungeon binding. Still these classes stand to gain the most from firepots.

Melee and Tanks firepot viability might come down to the level of the character. A level 1 melee bound at firepots would enhance leveling options greatly. However min/max raiding melee may benefit from VP ent bind rather than firepots at 60.

The only melee able to bind themself on p99 is a Dark Elf SK. All other melee would have to rely on Locket of Escape.

Both Locket and Firepots only are available a few days after launch. Likelihood of Locket being a /list item is not confirmed.

Then Locket no longer drops and Timorous Deep is no longer a zone you can bind in. However everyone that binds at firepots in the few days where this is an option after launch retains their firepot bind location.

With two Lockets a person or group of people could bind any melee on the server who would want to get a Firepot bind before it goes away. This would actually cost 20k, not 10k tho. Buying back two lockets at 10k a piece.

That's what I have so far as far as details on what options there will be.

Still not sure if my melee will be getting a firepot bind yet. He'll likely be 50 at Kunark lanuch.

Jibartik
03-17-2020, 11:38 PM

Hey wait, is your user name like a harry potter spell reference for casing like a seduction spell?

Toehammer
03-18-2020, 12:40 PM
I have 2 characters on blue (60 shaman, 20 necro) and 2 characters on red (55 mag, 55 nec) still bound at firepots. Best EQ decision I ever made.

It makes it possible to do /who all lfg, send a tell, and be at the group in a few minutes. I enjoy traveling around norrath by foot, but when you only have limited play time, it can make things much more enjoyable.

Bind up top, watch out for Faydedar! Also, get an OT hammer on all your characters.

cd288
03-18-2020, 01:29 PM
Related question, when is Kunark hitting?

cd288
03-18-2020, 02:10 PM

So it seems Wizards and Druids are a def no at firepots. The loss of binding wherever is too large a cost for classes that can already move around Norrath with ease.

Clerics, Necros, Enchanters, Shaman, and Mages can gate and get Teleportation abilities if they bind at firepots. They lose onsite and near dungeon binding. Still these classes stand to gain the most from firepots.

Melee and Tanks firepot viability might come down to the level of the character. A level 1 melee bound at firepots would enhance leveling options greatly. However min/max raiding melee may benefit from VP ent bind rather than firepots at 60.

The only melee able to bind themself on p99 is a Dark Elf SK. All other melee would have to rely on Locket of Escape.

Both Locket and Firepots only are available a few days after launch. Likelihood of Locket being a /list item is not confirmed.

Then Locket no longer drops and Timorous Deep is no longer a zone you can bind in. However everyone that binds at firepots in the few days where this is an option after launch retains their firepot bind location.

With two Lockets a person or group of people could bind any melee on the server who would want to get a Firepot bind before it goes away. This would actually cost 20k, not 10k tho. Buying back two lockets at 10k a piece.

That's what I have so far as far as details on what options there will be.

Still not sure if my melee will be getting a firepot bind yet. He'll likely be 50 at Kunark lanuch.

Keep in mind that in groups in the 50s you will pretty much always have a Cleric since they are the only truly viable class to main heal from 50-60. As such, you will almost always have someone who can rez you if your melee dies. As such, I wouldn't say it matters much where your melee is bound for pure grouping EXP purposes.

There's of course the benefit of being able to be TLed to your bind at firepots and get more quickly to various cities that way, but I wouldn't say it's a huge benefit compared to the time it saves you vs. just getting a port and running.

Videri
03-18-2020, 02:24 PM
Keep in mind that in groups in the 50s you will pretty much always have a Cleric since they are the only truly viable class to main heal from 50-60. As such, you will almost always have someone who can rez you if your melee dies. As such, I wouldn't say it matters much where your melee is bound for pure grouping EXP purposes.

There's of course the benefit of being able to be TLed to your bind at firepots and get more quickly to various cities that way, but I wouldn't say it's a huge benefit compared to the time it saves you vs. just getting a port and running.

Yeahhhhh. :/ Any wizard that can TL to bind (level 50) can TL you to any wizard portal (level 39 to 49).

I just realized one of the benefits of these self-melee-bind items. Perhaps its value is not about some particular special location where you get to bind your melee, but the fact that you can bind yourself, and re-bind yourself, on a melee class, anywhere you want. Assuming you have a Ring of the Dead (rechargeable for 10p) or access to two Lockets of Escape. You could bind your Dark Elf SK outside of any dungeon, or heck, inside most of them (?).

I'm saying forget melee Firepots bind - bind yourself wherever you want, anytime, changing it depending on your current haunts and goals.

Even cooler than getting Translocated to the Firepots and then clicking on a firepot - is getting Translocated to your bind point in Droga, or Howling Stones, or outside Veeshan's Peak, or outside Temple of Veeshan, or in Plane of Mischief, or in Skyshrine by a click-out...

Also, what's the recharge cost on Lockets?

MaCtastic
03-20-2020, 10:18 AM
The Firepot room in Timorous Deep (Kunark) contains 9 firepots of different styles that teleport you to 9 cities. Here's a good guide on the Wiki (http://wiki.project1999.com/Firepot#Timorous_Deep_Teleportation_Room_Guide).

You can bind in Timorous Deep for the first few days of its existence. For non-port classes, this gives access to most of Norrath via gating to the Firepots and clicking wherever you want to go.

Please note: it's better to bind on top of the spires outside the firepot room, since you can't get back up out of the firepot room. This allows you access not only to all 9 teleporters, but to Timorous Deep itself (Faydedar, quest turn-ins, interesting mobs, and boats to several places).

Thanks Tala, very helpful post.