PDA

View Full Version : Scute shield myth

JDFriend99
03-12-2020, 06:32 PM
:confused:

Recently I came to see Scute shield being offered for 18k from a player. I messaged them asking to see the effect in use.

After them being bothered i asked to speak to their guildie because they were afk a long while, they declared the shield actually doesn't give any illusion at all like the images on wiki were displaying.

Being a moderator for wiki i changed the code to reflect that item doesn't offer the illusion and is only an AC15 sta9 shield worth max 500pp.

The green server has been ripping people off under this false pretense for over a month, and i warned them not to post it again or I would contact staff regarding the eula violations.

This member is in black lotus and should certainly know better and im sure they know exactly what they were doing.

--- Beware to anyone on the server --- Do not purchase a scute shield for anything over 500pp as it is nothing but a shield that looked like a wooden kite shield and has poor stats. The folks posting pictures are trying to deceive you into paying your hard earned plat to further their game.

Goodluck all!

RipVanFish
03-12-2020, 06:34 PM
You need to name this person, seriously.

Jibartik
03-12-2020, 07:14 PM
lol are people saying wearing the scute sheild makes you look like this?

https://wiki.project1999.com/images/Scuteman.png

Man I'd be rich if I was playing on green.

sentinel
03-12-2020, 07:52 PM
desert madman illusion would be so tight

JDFriend99
03-12-2020, 08:15 PM
You need to name this person, seriously.

rezon from black lotus

JDFriend99
03-12-2020, 08:17 PM
It would. That was my thoughts, illusions I've Neve seen and 18k was cheap. TBH they are scamming using the picture to sell it for a lot.

I should have reported it but asked them to stop listing it and let the chips fall when a guide sees it.

JDFriend99
03-12-2020, 08:19 PM
lol are people saying wearing the scute sheild makes you look like this?

https://wiki.project1999.com/images/Scuteman.png

Man I'd be rich if I was playing on green.

Yeah. They didn't say it. In fact she said it doesn't. But they are pricing it using the images to create an illusion that wearing the crappy ass shield gives you GM illusion desert madman. I changed the code to earn people and they changed it back to include this was an effect cast by GM etc. Trying to cover their tracks rightfully so.

Videri
03-12-2020, 08:20 PM
S’cute.

JDFriend99
03-12-2020, 08:20 PM
Either way asking 18-20k for ac15 shield is nuts. They know they did it trying to fake people out. Can okay stupid all they want.

If I see it listed again I'll contact sirken and he can handle it.

drdrakes
03-12-2020, 08:27 PM
First

RipVanFish
03-12-2020, 08:28 PM
Rezon or anyone from Black Lotus, care to comment?

Vizax_Xaziv
03-12-2020, 08:33 PM
Dunedigger sounds like the name of a Monster Truck

Balimon
03-12-2020, 11:06 PM
Don't know anything about that player, I'm hearing they just joined. Will let an officer know what's going on. Love that Battletoad pic! He is the man.

Castle2.0
03-12-2020, 11:11 PM
Let me get this straight.

He tried to sell you a super rare item for 18k, then when you asked if it had an illusion he correctly said no (although was AFK for a while before answering) and that is considered trying to scam you?

If you got pics of a convo of him lying about the item - make sure to share. If you're made he is trying to sell a super rare item for 18k that you were somehow (unrelated to him) under the impression had an illusion (when the item is inspectable via link and shows no such thing).... well....

magnetaress
03-12-2020, 11:17 PM
Have to admit I won the roll on this shield once, it was pretty cool. 18kp is a lot though.

Balimon
03-12-2020, 11:18 PM
Yeah. They didn't say it. In fact she said it doesn't.

What's the real issue here then?

Castle2.0
03-12-2020, 11:25 PM
On the wiki under the picture (https://wiki.project1999.com/Scute_Shield) it clearly says....

This is a GM Madman Illusion casted on a player as a congratulations for obtaining the first Scute Shield on his server.

Zal22
03-13-2020, 01:53 AM
TBH when i first saw it was someone in <Black Lotus> that was trying to price gouge, there was one name on my mind.....

Mannastone.

Visual
03-13-2020, 02:20 AM
It would. That was my thoughts, illusions I've Neve seen and 18k was cheap. TBH they are scamming using the picture to sell it for a lot.

I should have reported it but asked them to stop listing it and let the chips fall when a guide sees it.

It would be millions if it were tradable and scarce

Tilien
03-13-2020, 02:40 AM
I've never heard of this rumor and never been lead to believe this illusion exists by anything.

Other than being tricked by the picture, where is the rumor coming from? The person price gouging and explaining it has no illusion is being an idiot not being a scammer. The person scamming is the person whose saying it has an illusion. Has anyone heard of this before?

DisbeAsos
03-13-2020, 08:58 AM
This accusation is Egregious...

This post is Egregious....

This reply is Egregious...

Any further comments are..... Egregious...

Castle2.0
03-13-2020, 09:47 AM
I just have one more egregious response then...

TBH when i first saw it was someone in <Black Lotus> that was trying to price gouge, there was one name on my mind.....

Mannastone. My heart sank when I heard a BL app potentially scammed someone. But when I read this post my heart welled up with pride that one of our apps landed one of the rarest items in game, and had the courage to set the price he believed in, despite the naysayers.

I've called my local news station for them to put on this human interest story. I will narrate, and there will be the obligatory dramatic music, and scene where Rezon walks down the sidewalk holding his shield looking pensive as I ask him questions about his experience.

A story of triumph against the RNG odds.
A story of courage and fighting for the price you believe in.
A story of EverQuest.
---The Scute Shield----

Rust1d?
03-13-2020, 11:02 AM
The fact that the guy was trying to sell it for 18k is proof enough he was scamming. Not sure anything else needs to be said. Glad the wiki is fixed.

Castle2.0
03-13-2020, 02:18 PM
The fact that the guy was trying to sell it for 18k is proof enough he was scamming. Not sure anything else needs to be said. Glad the wiki is fixed. You're right - only your price is the true price. Everyone else is a scammer. I bet you get great deals pitching that in the tunnel.

Fix the wiki? What was wrong with it?

I've only checked posts after 2012, but there is zero deceptive information on the Scute Shield wiki page. Can see for yourself https://wiki.project1999.com/index.php?title=Scute_Shield&action=history

People added more info to make it clear the illusion isn't a part of the item, but neither the item description and nor the text (in the last 8 years) ever said it's an illusion clicky.

Conclusion:
+1 DMN Points for egregiously calling someone a scammer because you don't like their price
-1 Wiki Points point for an ignorant comment on wiki being "fixed" when it was never "broke"

-TK-
03-13-2020, 05:03 PM
I don't see where anyone trying to sell the shield actually said it gives an illusion. All I see is OP misread something and didn't like the price and thought they'd come here to try to White Knight-it against someone they don't like.

When P99 first opened I sold a couple of these for between 6-8k to collectors and SK's that wanted it before Kunark, but I can't see there being enough of a market for 18k. Most people in-game have no idea it exists or what a bitch getting one can be because it's not an amazing item. The time invested wasn't worth the reward, but I was hell-bent on figuring out the spawn at the time.

Jibartik
03-13-2020, 08:23 PM
Im just glad Dunedigger is causing a commotion because that's some classic stuff right there.

scute scuuute! (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C4QMffMAwAU&feature=youtu.be&t=102)

Tethler
03-13-2020, 09:37 PM
Lol @ people saying "it's rare" as a justification for that absurd price. Rarity is irrelevant if the item sucks.

Jibartik
03-13-2020, 10:00 PM
It was always a very high priced item, I always figured the stamina and ac was very good for a tank back then? + it's rarity I guess. /shrug

magnetaress
03-13-2020, 10:08 PM
It's kinda rare. It's an awesome item pre 50.

Tethler
03-13-2020, 10:11 PM
It was always a very high priced item, I always figured the stamina and ac was very good for a tank back then? + it's rarity I guess. /shrug

I mean, stamina gives so little hp in the lower levels. I'd use even darkwood shield over this.

Rust1d?
03-14-2020, 12:07 AM
You're right - only your price is the true price. Everyone else is a scammer. I bet you get great deals pitching that in the tunnel.

Fix the wiki? What was wrong with it?

I've only checked posts after 2012, but there is zero deceptive information on the Scute Shield wiki page. Can see for yourself https://wiki.project1999.com/index.php?title=Scute_Shield&action=history

People added more info to make it clear the illusion isn't a part of the item, but neither the item description and nor the text (in the last 8 years) ever said it's an illusion clicky.

Conclusion:
+1 DMN Points for egregiously calling someone a scammer because you don't like their price
-1 Wiki Points point for an ignorant comment on wiki being "fixed" when it was never "broke"
You take this game way too seriously

Rust1d?
03-14-2020, 12:10 AM
How is this shield better than CMM or charred? 18k ffg or 9 sta? Its obvious they hope suckers will think it gives the illusion.

Jibartik
03-14-2020, 01:54 AM
I think that

1. its a super low level ultra rare find, so it got famous fast in classic.
2. its got 15 sta, for a low level item back in the day those were big numbers.
3. it had that unique graphic that looks like a kite shield, but special and looks like an upside down cross.

I think those things created a sense of status for it, and so it sold for high prices.

Up until p99 has time to look at it through a magnifying glass for years and years haha

Doktoor
03-14-2020, 02:13 AM
It’s got a cross on it for the Christian folks. They’re used to paying lots of money for false illusions.

drdrakes
03-14-2020, 09:57 AM
The irony is the guy that made this thread spends weeks farming GBSs to sell for 20k+ when people could just buy a Stein. Should probably report him to Sirken.

Hazek
03-14-2020, 10:12 AM
The irony is the guy that made this thread spends weeks farming GBSs to sell for 20k+ when people could just buy a Stein. Should probably report him to Sirken.

Yeah but thats a cup

magnetaress
03-14-2020, 10:33 AM
I would want a scute shield just because it comes off an armadillo and has a bad ass name.

Sarkhan
03-14-2020, 10:50 AM
Great alternative for those that can use is the Giant Laceless Sandal. Not as good but you get the benefit of holding a giant's sandal as a shield!

Unfortunately it has a funky smell so merchants don't like to deal with you :-(

http://wiki.project1999.com/Gaint_Laceless_Sandal

drdrakes
03-14-2020, 11:04 AM
Yeah but thats a cup

I agree, I will never own a cup on Green since I was blessed with a GBS on day two. But I'm talking about regular people, the kind of people that care about 18k.

Jibartik
03-14-2020, 11:34 AM
I would want a scute shield just because it comes off an armadillo and has a bad ass name.

Yea!

magnetaress
03-14-2020, 11:43 AM
Gottta have a Scute shield for my Scutie character in the <Scutest> of all guilds, ahhh scuuute booooot n boooogie!

Zephire
03-16-2020, 04:14 PM
I wouldn't even pay 500p for it

Maledict
03-25-2020, 10:39 AM
Hi, I found this thread serendipitously while digging through the forums and had a chuckle. That shield is actually mine, I was leveling in north ro on the beach and this Armadillo guy showed up and after a long fought battle I killed him and he had the shield. Rez is a IRL friend of mine and he looked it up on that wiki and saw it said like 18k or 20k or some such insane price which for a brand new character sounded like an amazing windfall as you can imagine.

I thought it was a piece of crap but he wanted to try to sell it so I told him if he could sell it to someone I would split it with him so he set off to try to see if anyone would bite lol.

Long story short I was proved correct, it is in fact a piece of crap and noone wants it and the wiki just had some troll price info on it or something. Anyways I am still using it just because it was a cool story and I had never seen that NPC before in my life.

And no hes not trying to scam anybody, I think your mind just ran away on you and concocted this story because he was AFK and you were under false pretenses.

WTS Scute Shield make an offer! :)

sentinel
03-25-2020, 11:26 AM
18k?

loramin
03-25-2020, 11:36 AM
The thing that bugs me about this thread is ... ok I know it's a rare item, but surely some people out there (eg. Maledict) have one.

All it would take is for a single person to take a screenshot of themselves not in with an illusion, wielding that shield ... and then the stupid desert madman illusion image could be removed (or added to some "here's what GM illusions look like" page), and the item could just have a normal screenshot, that couldn't possibly confuse anyone.

Just two minutes of screenshot + upload to wiki is all it would take to really fix this ...

Castle2.0
03-25-2020, 11:44 AM
Doesn't need fixing. The person that got the shield was honored with a GM illusion and so they are getting some recognition for their efforts. That shouldn't be changed.

The Wiki says clearly the person in the picture is under a GM illusion as a reward. That's the point.

WTB Scute Shield 1,800pp

Canelek
03-25-2020, 01:04 PM
Hi, I found this thread serendipitously while digging through the forums and had a chuckle. That shield is actually mine, I was leveling in north ro on the beach and this Armadillo guy showed up and after a long fought battle I killed him and he had the shield. Rez is a IRL friend of mine and he looked it up on that wiki and saw it said like 18k or 20k or some such insane price which for a brand new character sounded like an amazing windfall as you can imagine.

I thought it was a piece of crap but he wanted to try to sell it so I told him if he could sell it to someone I would split it with him so he set off to try to see if anyone would bite lol.

Long story short I was proved correct, it is in fact a piece of crap and noone wants it and the wiki just had some troll price info on it or something. Anyways I am still using it just because it was a cool story and I had never seen that NPC before in my life.

And no hes not trying to scam anybody, I think your mind just ran away on you and concocted this story because he was AFK and you were under false pretenses.

WTS Scute Shield make an offer! :)

Hmmm. This explanation wouldn't make it through Elf Court.

All one needs to do is look at the wiki sales history and your own obviously-made up story to see that you are both Rezon and Maledict. The illusion bit was a red herring.

At least own it as opposed to pawning off on RL friend/brother/girlfriend in Niagra Falls area.

Maledict
03-25-2020, 01:38 PM
k I guess you figured me out then, sorry all for my huge ruse that had no point

loramin
03-25-2020, 01:51 PM
Doesn't need fixing. The person that got the shield was honored with a GM illusion and so they are getting some recognition for their efforts. That shouldn't be changed.

The Wiki says clearly the person in the picture is under a GM illusion as a reward. That's the point.

WTB Scute Shield 1,800pp

I disagree, strongly. The wiki is not here for anyone's personal vanity.

The wiki exists to serve the players of P1999. Those players are best served by seeing images of items in the same way they will actually look for those players.

Since no one will ever look like the person in that screenshot, it is the least useful screenshot possible of that item.

strongNpretty
03-25-2020, 02:17 PM

WTB Scute Shield 1,800pp

You annoy me.

Jibartik
03-25-2020, 05:02 PM
I disagree, strongly. The wiki is not here for anyone's personal vanity.

The wiki exists to serve the players of P1999. Those players are best served by seeing images of items in the same way they will actually look for those players.

Since no one will ever look like the person in that screenshot, it is the least useful screenshot possible of that item.

Consider this. It took us all ages to find a teeny tiny amount of information that we have found, that we use to recreate classic ever quest!

I think that the wiki should have all kinds of stuff like that on it, including personalities from our server. And we should keep donating to (presumably you) to update it for the next 30 years. So we wont be forgotten like so many of the other things from EQ's yore.

So when we want to make a project 2014 we'll be able to go to this wiki, and have all the GM illusions, the moments in time, the arguments, the everything!

OR you know ,we could go back to using the forums as our recourse for p99 and that would be a shame because you've added so much amazing information to it loramin!

I think you should definitely, at least for the rest of us who appreciate that stuff, respect that we need for posterity, as much as we can on that wiki, and continue to keep and make sure that stuff is available as you work on it! Please! :o

loramin
03-25-2020, 05:47 PM
It doesn't matter what you write in a book if no one reads it.

Look, you can compose vaguely EverQuest-themed fan fiction to Xena in the wiki if you want. As the only active administrator (that I know of), I won't try to stop you ... as long as you keep it somehow tangentially P99-related.

But again, the wiki does not exist for anyone's vanity, or their Xena fan fiction, or anything else: it exists to provide useful P99 information to P99 players. When you add content that doesn't help anyone, all you are doing is stroking your ego: you're writing a book no one will ever read.

We already have lists of "firsts" on the wiki ... and no one reads them. The only people who do are the ones that fight with each other over who was first on something.

The goal of the wiki should be to have content that people can read and use. If what you're adding to the wiki isn't something others want to read/see, it is my opinion (just that; again I'm not going to ban anyone for vanity posting if it's at least somehow P99-related) that said content doesn't belong on a wiki whose only reason for existence is to be useful of P99 players.

loramin
03-25-2020, 05:52 PM
P.S. And as a wiki editor I will do my part (as others should to) to promote useful content, and demote useless content. In this case, I'll happily replace an image on an item page that shows what a player will look like with any item ... over an image that doesn't. I'll do that whether the image has a Vah Shir is wielding the item, a Froglok, or a desert madman.

But that doesn't mean the madman picture can't be on the wiki; it just belongs where it's useful. That's not on the item page, where people go to see "what stats will this item give my character and how will it look on them?"

It belongs somewhere like the server firsts page. As I said, in my experience very few people find such pages useful, and they're mainly about vanity for the people on them ... but they are P99 related, and so do have a place on the wiki.

They just need to stay on their (rarely viewed) pages, and not get in the way of useful information.

Canelek
03-25-2020, 07:07 PM
Nothing wrong with the image, as it is properly captioned.

Dude was just posing as two people and selling an item based on rarity as opposed to it having a non-existent ability. His elf-crime was simply manipulating the sales history of an item with two or more characters in order to sell to someone with more elf-money than elf-sense. And he figured by posting with one character on the forums saying it was a "RL friend" he'd be exonerated of said elf-crimes.

His scam failed and he got called out for it. I would have liked to see more twists and turns in the plot, but it is what it is.

mcoy
03-25-2020, 10:34 PM
You know - I've never seen an episode of Xena: Warrior Princess. I remember it being on around the time MacGyver aired on USA and I'd see maybe the last 2 minutes of an episode while waiting for some RDA action. I should add that to my watch list.

-Mcoy

Maledict
03-25-2020, 10:45 PM
At first I thought it was funny yall painting me as some mastermind that im pretending to be two people trying to commit some imagined crime, now its just sad.

like wtf

Like if I was some kind of social engineering malcontent, wouldn't I have made a post on this account in the seven years it says I've had it apparently.

I just showed rez this thread and he told me not to get into arguments with idiots because they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience. He has a point.

gundumbwing
03-25-2020, 11:32 PM
To the window to the wall.....

.....scute scute scute scute scute....

Canelek
03-25-2020, 11:39 PM
oh don’t be such a bitch. Your story was lacking and your “friend’s” advice is the advice of a child.

kaev
03-26-2020, 02:23 AM
Why isn't this tepid moldy mess of a thread in R&F?

Jibartik
03-26-2020, 03:26 AM
So help me god if that image is removed I will be very sad.

Loramin I feel like you need to be more open minded to what other players here think the wiki is and considers valuable information, I dont think you need to demand it, if someone says something is useful then I think it's worth considering that it might be!

I fail to see how images of players on the wiki to look at to get info about fashion and history is not useful and needs to be eradicated is all.

I find that info useful.

Sacer
03-26-2020, 05:36 AM
So many shocking things in this thread :

- people don't understand rarety make the price of an item, not the stats
- people think a madman illusion clicky shield would be only 20k
- people think selling overpriced is a scam
- people think an item give an illusion based on a character screenshot, not the actual stat on the item even with a very clear description under said screenshot

I am amazed.

loramin
03-26-2020, 11:03 AM
So help me god if that image is removed I will be very sad.

Loramin I feel like you need to be more open minded to what other players here think the wiki is and considers valuable information, I dont think you need to demand it, if someone says something is useful then I think it's worth considering that it might be!

I fail to see how images of players on the wiki to look at to get info about fashion and history is not useful and needs to be eradicated is all.

I find that info useful.

Jibartik, I think you and I are mostly in violent agreement.

I'm NOT saying that picture doesn't belong on the wiki. What I'm saying is, if I go to the wiki wondering "what stats will a Scute Shield have?", I expect to find it on the Scute Shield page. If I go to the wiki looking for "what will a Scute Shield look like on my character?", I also expect to find that on the Scute Shield page.

If I go to the wiki looking for "what did the guy who first got a Scute Shield look like after the GM rewarded him with a desert madman illusion, and what was that guy's name?" I should also be able to find that ... in the appropriate place. We 100% agree on all that.

We can hopefully even agree that it might be helpful to have a link somewhere on the Scute Shield page to the firsts ... but it should not be a giant link/image near the front of the page, it should be a small link towards the bottom. Why? Because 99.9% of the people on that page aren't there to see what illusion the first guy to get the item was given ... they're there for the item's information. Trying to serve 0.01% of people by making things harder for 99.9% doesn't make sense.

And if you think I'm wrong about those percentages, get objective on me! Start a poll, or add Google Analytics to the server first pages and some item pages, and see who visits which more, and how much more :)

You know - I've never seen an episode of Xena: Warrior Princess. I remember it being on around the time MacGyver aired on USA and I'd see maybe the last 2 minutes of an episode while waiting for some RDA action. I should add that to my watch list.

-Mcoy

I've never seen it either and don't specifically recommend it or anything. Xena was just on my mind because I was telling someone about the Dragonlance animated movie, and it had Kiefer Sutherland and Lucy Lawless as voice actors.

Jibartik
03-26-2020, 02:47 PM
Jibartik, I think you and I are mostly in violent agreement

lol this is a funny phrase.

You just make sure that wiki will be able to help us completely recreate p99 in 20 years and Im happy hehe :o

edit: I too have never once watched an episode of Xena, I wonder if I would like it now.

strongNpretty
03-26-2020, 03:20 PM
lol this is a funny phrase.

You just make sure that wiki will be able to help us completely recreate p99 in 20 years and Im happy hehe :o

edit: I too have never once watched an episode of Xena, I wonder if I would like it now.

Man the back to back Hercules/Xena collabo was dope.

BattleToad
04-18-2020, 09:08 AM
What a great thread. Shame on the scammers. I agree with everyone. Balimon, Jibartik, Loramin. I will upload some more relevant useful screenshots regarding this most excellent shield.

Geomance22
04-18-2020, 09:17 AM
no ones paying 18k for a normal kite shield with a useless +9 STA, whoever was trying to sell it was obviously doing some funny business

boukk
04-18-2020, 03:45 PM
no ones paying 18k for a normal kite shield with a useless +9 STA, whoever was trying to sell it was obviously doing some funny business

That s actually the best shield tank wise, highest AC, magic and about 40hp and it is super rare.

It s not worth 18k obv but price are always crazy initially 30k mith 2HS anyone :eek: , doubt anyone paid that.

Price is more around 3-4K nowadays anyway.