PDA

View Full Version : Does stat food work?

Feracitus
03-09-2020, 09:36 AM
So i just made some gnome kabobs, and they're supposed to give me +2 int, but when i eat them i'm still at the same int i had before?

magnetaress
03-09-2020, 09:53 AM
I don't know about green, it does on red )

mcoy
03-09-2020, 10:23 AM
You don't eat it - you put it ahead of the non stat food in your inventory, and you manually eat the non-stat food so you don't auto-eat the stat food.

-Mcoy

Tuurin
03-09-2020, 10:24 AM
So i just made some gnome kabobs, and they're supposed to give me +2 int, but when i eat them i'm still at the same int i had before?

You don’t eat it. You put stat food in the top bag slot ahead if any other food to get the stats for it. Ideally the. You just manually eat regular food (until you’re full) so the stat food never gets eaten

Benanov
03-09-2020, 11:20 AM

Yeah you're gonna need more than a few gnome kabobs to fix that problem :)

You don't EAT the food, you STARE at it longingly. It's the CRAVINGS for the delicious gnome meat, roasted over an hardwood fire with spices and sauces that make you smarter. Hmm. Stringy little gnomes, roasted in the fires of Solusek's Eye...their little bodies tenderised by a thorough beating by Jobantik... anyway.

Go buy a stack of muffins or find a steady source of cheap food (whatever you can forage, fishing results that aren't sandals or daggers, summoned black bread, chunks of meat) and then take your gnome kabobs and put them in your top-left bag, in the top-left slot. You will see your INT go up.

Then stuff your fat face full of muffins until you will explode.

Every so often, stare longingly at the kabobs. Drool over them. Make sure you haven't eaten one yet.

Then stuff another muffin in your gob.

larper99
03-09-2020, 11:26 AM
Fun little story:
I always have several stacks of my crafted food on me, both so that I never have to worry about being hungry, and so that any team member that asks "Anyone got any food to spare?" can immediately be handed a stack of quality food instead of summoned food.

Did this in one group recently, and the monk responds, "Food can have STATS!!?"

Benanov
03-09-2020, 12:00 PM
Fun little story:
I always have several stacks of my crafted food on me, both so that I never have to worry about being hungry, and so that any team member that asks "Anyone got any food to spare?" can immediately be handed a stack of quality food instead of summoned food.

Hasn't happened a lot on Green, but on Blue people seemed to let themselves get low on food a lot. Usually in Kunark because of the distance from all the vendors. I raised baking to about 135 just to give people creative things to eat.

I did manage to gross out one of my friends by handing him some of Cabilis' more... interesting... cuisine choices.

Earthworms are full of protein, after all.

Feracitus
03-09-2020, 06:32 PM
HA! you learn something new everyday! Food that you're supposed to NOT eat to get it's benefits lol, talk about wonky game mechanics!

larper99
03-09-2020, 07:02 PM
HA! you learn something new everyday! Food that you're supposed to NOT eat to get it's benefits lol, talk about wonky game mechanics!
While it is a wonky mechanic, I can see how it came about, being an applications programmer for many years.
In hindsight, food eaten should give an unremovable spell effect, just like any spell cast on a player by a mob during combat. The effect would have stats such as duration and player stat adjustments. The effect would survive zoning, like other detrimental effects.

But, perhaps food was added to game development late (or perhaps actually early, before spell effects were added). In this case, it was simply an inventory check, not a state of the character. The character has a state of "fullness", but not a state of what was eaten. So, to implement food stats, that said, well, we already pull food from an inventory slot, what is in that slot? That will be the current food stats if the character is not "hungry". Just like how armor and jewelry work. The system checks the inventory on any event (such as zoning or changing inventory) and applies the stats based on current inventory.

I can see the meeting: "Well, players could change the food they are going to eat to maximize their stats at any time." "Yeah, right. Who is going to do THAT? Besides, it's too late to change the code now for something that will never happen."

Happens ALL OF THE TIME in app development when requirements are constantly changing. The words "That will never happen" are always negated on day 1 of beta.

magnetaress
03-09-2020, 07:23 PM
Ya I don't bother force feeding myself, I just let my character auto-eat the stat food.

loramin
03-09-2020, 07:33 PM
While it is a wonky mechanic, I can see how it came about, being an applications programmer for many years.
In hindsight, food eaten should give an unremovable spell effect, just like any spell cast on a player by a mob during combat. The effect would have stats such as duration and player stat adjustments. The effect would survive zoning, like other detrimental effects.

But, perhaps food was added to game development late (or perhaps actually early, before spell effects were added). In this case, it was simply an inventory check, not a state of the character. The character has a state of "fullness", but not a state of what was eaten. So, to implement food stats, that said, well, we already pull food from an inventory slot, what is in that slot? That will be the current food stats if the character is not "hungry". Just like how armor and jewelry work. The system checks the inventory on any event (such as zoning or changing inventory) and applies the stats based on current inventory.

I can see the meeting: "Well, players could change the food they are going to eat to maximize their stats at any time." "Yeah, right. Who is going to do THAT? Besides, it's too late to change the code now for something that will never happen."

Happens ALL OF THE TIME in app development when requirements are constantly changing. The words "That will never happen" are always negated on day 1 of beta.

They figured it out later in Star Wars Galaxies: that game had all sorts of long lasting buffs from eating, drinking, and some other stuff like doing drugs or watching someone dance (no joke). Like you said, in EQ they were just shoe-horning something into their engine, after the fact.

But while I don't know if stat food works on Green or not, I'm pretty sure it shouldn't. On live EQ stat food bonuses were not added until much later in the timeline (I want to say Velious era but I'm too lazy to look it up).

magnetaress
03-09-2020, 07:34 PM
They really aren't classic, but they started working late kunark on blue.

It is still fun to eat non-classic food though, so go for it.

DMN
03-09-2020, 07:50 PM
They figured it out later in Star Wars Galaxies: that game had all sorts of long lasting buffs from eating, drinking, and some other stuff like doing drugs or watching someone dance (no joke). Like you said, in EQ they were just shoe-horning something into their engine, after the fact.

But while I don't know if stat food works on Green or not, I'm pretty sure it shouldn't. On live EQ stat food bonuses were not added until much later in the timeline (I want to say Velious era but I'm too lazy to look it up).

Ya I remember that on SWG. I remember always being drugged up on muon gold. i think you got something like a "relaxed" buff if you watched someone dance for long enough. or was it you just had to sit in cantina or long enough?

magnetaress
03-09-2020, 08:12 PM
We should be able to make stims in EQ that give us mana/hp regen other than the sham pots, and give us like steep penalties unless we keep using them, like rez sickness for 1 hr.

Vizax_Xaziv
03-09-2020, 08:33 PM

In other words exactly how every MMO that came after EQ handled "stat food" type items.

cd288
03-11-2020, 10:36 AM
They really aren't classic, but they started working late kunark on blue.

It is still fun to eat non-classic food though, so go for it.

Proof?

magnetaress
03-11-2020, 09:02 PM
Proof?

I refuse to back up any assertion I make with any and all evidence.

Proof? I said I was there and said so. Also I *really* believe myself.