PDA

View Full Version : West Karana Gate

knottyb0y
02-27-2020, 12:25 PM
I know this is not the fault of anyone responsible for p1999 but WTF were the Verant devs thinking putting the wizard WK port RIGHT NEXT TO THE NK ZONE LINE!!!

Like there's NK Port right there! This spell could have been a great way for wizards to get to Qeynos fast if the port location was closer to the other side of HUGE ASS WK.

Anyway. I always wondered what they thought with that execution. I bet some artist messed up and it was too late to fix before release lol.

stebbins99
02-27-2020, 12:29 PM
Fair point! The main drawback of the NK wizard port is that you have those pathing guards (mitigated by invis of course).

If it makes you feel any better, they added the Surefall Glade port (for druids) "tragically" late in the timeline

Cen
02-27-2020, 12:43 PM
I would have liked Wizard portals to be more social portals, and Druids to be the more naturey ones out in the wilderness. Like Wizard portals would be at various wizard guilds or circles, and the wizards have like an agreement not to murder each other at them. Then if you wanted to go to a city, youd find a wizard bro, but if you wanted to go for a hunt, youd find a druid for your quickest route.

stebbins99
02-27-2020, 12:50 PM
Cen that actually makes perfect sense! Especially with the "lore" considerations you've laid out. It's interesting that they decided for druids/wizzies to *share* certain port spots but not others (what's the point of the slightly spaced out pair of port-ins in Dreadlands)

cd288
02-27-2020, 01:26 PM
A surefall glade port gets added later. Relax

branamil
02-27-2020, 01:33 PM
Yes, it was very dumb. Most likely, different people made the zones and didn't talk to eachother.

sentinel
02-27-2020, 01:44 PM
They started making zones in the Qeynos Karana are and finished in Faydwer. You can see how their experience with huge, bland, copy/past mobs in Karana informed them in the much better Faydwer zones.

I'd chalk up this horrible port location to their inexperience when making zones in the Karanas.

Doktoor
02-27-2020, 01:49 PM
I always figured that they wanted one area of the world to be a PIA to get to as another time sink as they added time sinks throughout the game from the very beginning.

Wallicker
02-27-2020, 02:00 PM
An everfrost peaks wizard portal would make sense.

Kirdan
02-27-2020, 04:07 PM
WK is still significantly faster than NK druid, and once evacuate comes out you can get to the QH zoneline very fast

fadetree
02-27-2020, 07:10 PM
I know this is not the fault of anyone responsible for p1999 but WTF were the Verant devs thinking putting the wizard WK port RIGHT NEXT TO THE NK ZONE LINE!!!

Like there's NK Port right there! This spell could have been a great way for wizards to get to Qeynos fast if the port location was closer to the other side of HUGE ASS WK.

Anyway. I always wondered what they thought with that execution. I bet some artist messed up and it was too late to fix before release lol.

Thats an easy one. They were thinking "Hmmm, how can we f*ck with these guys? Hmmm. I know!

DMN
02-27-2020, 08:11 PM
Druids have some of the same stuff.
Feerot/SRo port
misty thicket/WC

gkmarino
02-27-2020, 08:37 PM
I mean it's just similar to the EK druid evac and the NK druid portal..

Balimon
02-27-2020, 10:38 PM
There should have definitely been a wizard portal in Everfrost, huge missed opportunity there for sure.

Fammaden
02-27-2020, 11:23 PM
I always figured that they wanted one area of the world to be a PIA to get to as another time sink as they added time sinks throughout the game from the very beginning.

It makes Halas/EF and Odus feel like far off remote places, yes.

Quylein
02-27-2020, 11:43 PM
It makes Halas/EF and Odus feel like far off remote places, yes.

Not really Odus as there is a portal right next to Erudin in Tox. but the feeling to Qeynos is remote and as far as the atmosphere of the world I like the feeling of a big world. In essence it's not but it works for this world. I would of liked a late portal to Halas but in all I do like how it works. they " fixed" it with Planes books but IMHO it was overkill at that point

cd288
02-28-2020, 11:45 AM
There should have definitely been a wizard portal in Everfrost, huge missed opportunity there for sure.

Would kind of defeat the lore of the Barbarians as this race that lives their lives far away from civilization in the mountains. Part of the point of the Barbarians is that they don't get as involved as the other races. Halas and Everfrost are supposed to be these far away lands that you have to undertake travel to get to.

Balimon
02-28-2020, 04:53 PM
Would kind of defeat the lore of the Barbarians as this race that lives their lives far away from civilization in the mountains. Part of the point of the Barbarians is that they don't get as involved as the other races. Halas and Everfrost are supposed to be these far away lands that you have to undertake travel to get to.

Add it in later, and say hey look we found this old combine structure!

Miragul had a teleport pad in his creepy necro caves , so why not?

cd288
02-28-2020, 05:07 PM
Add it in later, and say hey look we found this old combine structure!

Miragul had a teleport pad in his creepy necro caves , so why not?

Probably because the point of EQ wasn't too make the world super small where you could just get everywhere very easily a la WoW

Balimon
02-28-2020, 06:56 PM
Probably because the point of EQ wasn't too make the world super small where you could just get everywhere very easily a la WoW

Don't want Wow easy mode, just pointing out something the devs missed. You don't have to agree my duder.

Wallicker
02-28-2020, 07:14 PM
I like skyfire wizzie port, they should put the wizard port for Halas in the bear pits.

Bigsham
02-28-2020, 09:30 PM
Was my most casted spell on red since no one was ever in WK i would heal and bandage up in a house.

See on a red server when your low hp you have to go hide from other players. So many different things on a pvp server.

Also you can cast evac and be right at queynos hills

Meiva
02-28-2020, 11:02 PM
Doesn't casting evacuate west in west karana evac you to qeynos hills zoneline?

Old_PVP
02-29-2020, 02:24 PM
I always thought it was a tragic waste that apparently once upon a time druids and wizards had many more portal options available. Just think of all the abandoned druid rings and wizard spires scattered across Norrath. Ocean of Tears seafury island, Greater Fay druid rings, Rathe mountains unkempt druids ... just to name a few.

Whirled
02-29-2020, 04:37 PM
Possibly more incentive to get Evacuate spell.

Arogarn
03-02-2020, 03:47 PM
What server was it on where the GM's made the custom "Rile" event in the Everfrost ice tunnels? The one where the boss would spawn minis corresponding to the kunark class titles, and if they were killed by anyone but the correct class, the boss would heal HP.