PDA

View Full Version : Which Languages does the game actually use outside of players?

Cen
02-23-2020, 11:06 PM
I decided I want to master one language with training points, to teach it to a bunch of players someday soon. I was going to pick a non PC language like Faerie, but then thought - is there any language NPCs use that you know of? I might do that instead :p

I am updating the Wiki with any special findings on the system. One question I had that I tested out was, if I learn a language to 1-2 points at the trainer, and try to speak it, do people who have it mastered know im trying to speak it, or does it become not "unknown tongue" after a certain skill level. The reverse as well.

Turns out, they know im trying to speak it, but it is still unknown to me until a certain skill level. I intend to find out what skill that is.

Anyway, once I get 100 in a rare language, ill try to get this whole server speaking faerie or something lol.

Any language experimenters here?

Seducio
02-23-2020, 11:58 PM
I don't know the answer to your question.

That said, Tiffany in game - a Erudite 50 Cleric - taught me Erudin and apppeared to know the ins and outs of language skillups on p99.

I think I have seen a Druid named Tifany also I think is same person - but have not confirmed.

So seek out this language mastery individual - Tiffany - and you will find your answer.

Anyhow good luck on your language sharing adventure.

Phaezed-Reality
02-24-2020, 12:17 AM

That said, Tiffany in game - a Erudite 50 Cleric - taught me Erudin and apppeared to know the ins and outs of language skillups on p99.

I think I have seen a Druid named Tifany also I think is same person - but have not confirmed.

So seek out this language mastery individual - Tiffany - and you will find your answer.

There is only one true Tiffany, all others are imposters !

Mblake81
02-24-2020, 12:57 AM
You would think the Dragons in Skyshrine/TOV would speak Elder Dragon.. like part of the quest to get Kael, Dwarf or Dragon armor would be learning their language to talk to them.

Streamline

Scoojitsu
02-24-2020, 04:38 AM
I don't think you need to master the language with training points. You can train your skill 1 point higher than the one teaching you has. So you can raise it to max with two people.
Have you checked out the wiki on this?
https://wiki.project1999.com/Languages

Scoojitsu
02-24-2020, 04:41 AM
Would be kind of cool if <Dark Men of Odus> spoke Old Erudian. :)

Cen
02-24-2020, 08:53 AM
I don't think you need to master the language with training points. You can train your skill 1 point higher than the one teaching you has. So you can raise it to max with two people.
Have you checked out the wiki on this?
https://wiki.project1999.com/Languages

Yes. That seems awful to zone 100 times

Phaezed-Reality
02-24-2020, 09:43 AM
Would be kind of cool if <Dark Men of Odus> spoke Old Erudian. :)

we do !

mcoy
02-24-2020, 11:56 AM
There are some books/scrolls that appear as gibberish unless your language skill in Orc or Gnoll is high enough. There are probably others that I'm forgetting/not familiar with.

-Mcoy

larper99
02-24-2020, 12:27 PM
There are some books/scrolls that appear as gibberish unless your language skill in Orc or Gnoll is high enough. There are probably others that I'm forgetting/not familiar with.

-Mcoy

I was sad to find the Tesch Val scrolls were readable.

I played almost exclusively on Firiona Vie servers for both EQ and EQ2. Never realized that languages were NOT so important until P99.

loramin
02-24-2020, 12:37 PM
http://wiki.project1999.com/Languages has a "Use" column ... but all it has are the scrolls (which are broken here anyways).

Cen
02-24-2020, 02:44 PM
http://wiki.project1999.com/Languages has a "Use" column ... but all it has are the scrolls (which are broken here anyways).

Im currently editing that. Im trying to test which level hearing a language changes from unknown to known :p

Benanov
02-24-2020, 04:51 PM

I played almost exclusively on Firiona Vie servers for both EQ and EQ2. Never realized that languages were NOT so important until P99.

So did I! Antoin here. It was a sad day when everyone started using Human Tongue.

Also, we do speak Old Erudian in Dark Men of Odus - just we're careful not to speak the language with outsiders present. ;)

Cen
02-27-2020, 11:35 AM
I finished testing the unknown to known barrier. Turns out it was 25. The moment the skill hits 25, you know the language enough to recognize it being spoken by others. Information added to Wiki

Nirgon
03-03-2020, 01:52 AM

You need it for the research tomes in game. I literally had to learn languages and use these to figure out my combines. Elder dragon might have been one required.

Stickyfingers
03-03-2020, 10:12 AM

Did I teach you Erudian in an Efreeti group? Was it awhile back now? I have taught a few groups the language. Fortunately, Benanov is a master of language and has imparted a small piece of knowledge onto me.

Appreciate the kind words!

loramin
03-03-2020, 11:47 AM
I finished testing the unknown to known barrier. Turns out it was 25. The moment the skill hits 25, you know the language enough to recognize it being spoken by others. Information added to Wiki

https://i.imgur.com/yUsZFJo.gif

magnetaress
03-03-2020, 12:28 PM
I thought orcs, gnolls, and goblins all said stuff in their own language occasionally that we could see if we trained in it. I am probably wrong though and that may have been a later addition.