PDA

View Full Version : Greedy Wizards and Druids

Madae
02-22-2020, 05:33 PM
I get that you're entitled, and spoiled, by rich folks, but if your first response is to complain because you didn't get the tip you wanted for a port (that you also didn't specifically ask for), then you can rightly go fuck yourself.

I just don't get it. Perhaps you can, instead, tell me what you feel is appropriate so I can judge whether or not your time is worth it to me. Don't make me guess when, clearly, your expectations are through the roof, just so you can pitch a fit when you don't get it.

Isn't it all just money anyway? When all you're doing is standing around being useless in ecom and you have nothing better to do, and the entire process is free anyway, shouldn't you be thankful you get anything at all?

I'm sure there will be a bunch of people lining up to tell me where I'm wrong about this, but let's go back to point #1 here; if it's important to you, form a fucking a union and set a price already.

Madae
02-22-2020, 05:46 PM
Maybe we can also use this time to discuss what an acceptable payment is, anyway. I usually pay what I can afford that is, at the very least, not going to be more expensive than what I'll actually make when I go somewhere for a group or whatever. I'm sure other people toss around several times more than me, but tip culture is inherently open, and whining about it just makes no sense.

Nuggie
02-22-2020, 05:52 PM
1pp per level.

Phaezed-Reality
02-22-2020, 05:54 PM
yea, i give 50pp for my ports.

cornisthebest
02-22-2020, 06:52 PM
do NOT give 1p per level. expecting a level 9 to tip 9p per port is gross

Kohedron
02-22-2020, 06:53 PM
Ah, the nose pickers lurking on RNF strike again!

BlackBellamy
02-22-2020, 06:53 PM
When all you're doing is standing around being useless in ecom and you have nothing better to do, and the entire process is free anyway, shouldn't you be thankful you get anything at all?

You entitled little bitch.

When someone is sitting in EC tunnel medding up because ports cost fucking mana, their time is just worth shit to you, but you can't be bothered to fucking take three minutes and send a couple of tells to various porters asking them what the usual fare is?

But you can take the time to post your rancid little diatribe here?

Fawqueue
02-22-2020, 07:04 PM
I've only had this offered once while porting, but it was probably my favorite method of payment. The guy told me I had the option of accepting 1pp per level, or /random his level x2. I chose the random option because it was more fun, rolled a 19, and got less than the 50 I would have had I taken the flat rate. 10/10, would do it again.

Madae
02-22-2020, 07:10 PM

When someone is sitting in EC tunnel medding up because ports cost fucking mana, their time is just worth shit to you, but you can't be bothered to fucking take three minutes and send a couple of tells to various porters asking them what the usual fare is?

10/10 post, had a great laugh. Thank you.

While you're moaning, perhaps you can explain to me how it is more efficient for me to ask dozens of people and calculate the average payment through those responses of an ever inflating economy and highly varied amounts dependent on personal wealth and otherwise generous offerings instead of just having one person nut up and tell me what is an acceptable payment for their time instead of cowering behind your own fear of looking greedy? At the very least, the responsibility is equal from where I'm sitting. I certainly won't be offended if you give me a number and I don't like it, and I'm also certain I can find someone else who doesn't care nearly as much as you do.

And maybe you missed this with your furious keyboard slapping, I dunno;

Maybe we can also use this time to discuss what an acceptable payment is, anyway.

At any rate, thanks for your reply.

Madae
02-22-2020, 07:12 PM

I was going to say something similar, but it didn't seem like it was worth the effort. Without proper instruction, most new players don't know how to make money... it's not hard to learn them, but those types of players are rare I suppose.

Madae
02-22-2020, 07:23 PM
And since this is a trolling forum and I have nothing better to do at the moment, I'm going to extol my virtues and brag to people like BlackBellamy and say that I played a Wizard on the progression servers rather recently, and I was happy to do ports for all manner of tips, even for free, because I was just excited to have a somewhat unique ability that people wanted to utilize. The reward for doing something nice for someone is equally as rewarding as the generous payments I would sometimes receive. I preferred the former.

indiscriminate_hater
02-22-2020, 07:24 PM
Druids and wizards are worthless and they should be grateful they can provide a free service to the rest of us load bearers

Madae
02-22-2020, 07:28 PM
Druids and wizards are worthless and they should be grateful they can provide a free service to the rest of us load bearers

Arguably almost true.

Freakish
02-22-2020, 07:40 PM
What does a lvl 9 need ports for? Go explore, do an adventure learning zones you've never walked through before. There's content between druid rings believe me.

Madae
02-22-2020, 07:43 PM
What does a lvl 9 need ports for? Go explore, do an adventure learning zones you've never walked through before. There's content between druid rings believe me.

Can't speak for everyone, obviously, but some people prefer playing some of the Antonican races and then leveling in Faydwer, like Crushbone for example. I tend to leave Befallen or other places around levels 10-11 to go to Unrest.

Madae
02-22-2020, 07:46 PM
Wish I could edit posts... but yeah, there's also Everfrost and Qeynos starts that people happily want to get out of for something a little more populated.

Octopath
02-22-2020, 07:47 PM
I've only had this offered once while porting, but it was probably my favorite method of payment. The guy told me I had the option of accepting 1pp per level, or /random his level x2. I chose the random option because it was more fun, rolled a 19, and got less than the 50 I would have had I taken the flat rate. 10/10, would do it again.

I will be doing this for now own. That’s awesome

PDX0621
02-22-2020, 10:24 PM
I dunno, I mean, if they aren't stating a fixed price, you pay what you want to pay and you move on.

Barlu
02-22-2020, 10:50 PM
If I still played would definitelt have done the /random for ports. Love that.

I always tried to tip generously the whole time I was on the server if I asked for a poet. When I was dead broke I ran places. When I had plat I payed well for pickups because I valued their time. As enchanter brain buffs were an added bonus.

There are a ton of people on this server that are incredibly generous with their time and just happy to help. The rest are trying to make plat for their mains and are posting for plat. They should be compensated for their time.

baakss
02-22-2020, 11:00 PM
Can't speak for everyone, obviously, but some people prefer playing some of the Antonican races and then leveling in Faydwer, like Crushbone for example. I tend to leave Befallen or other places around levels 10-11 to go to Unrest.

But mooooooom! I wanna level theeeeeere! Not here! And when I didn't wanna pay for a port they made fun of me!

I know, I'll post about how the big bad druid was meanie head! That'll show em.

Gtfo crybaby.

RipVanFish
02-22-2020, 11:32 PM

LOL, it’s savage, but also kinda true.

Videri
02-23-2020, 01:05 AM

I actually think 1pp per level is ok even at low levels. A level 9 should not be porting all over Norrath looking for a group. They should be hunkering down in an exp zone and grinding. If they’re not born near a good exp zone, they should save up 9pp, take one port, with bind, and grind in their new neighborhood.

Natewest1987
02-23-2020, 03:06 AM
Well. You’re not wrong (about most of it), but they’re also not wrong for wanting to be compensated for their time. Ports are a great incentive to play those classes, and many people might make the decision to play them based off potential pp return, just as someone else might choose to play an enchanter so they could farm high level content.

I always lead with what I’m offering when I ask for a port. I tend to overpay, because as an erudite, traveling was terrible until I recently could summon a cold stone. It is rare though that I pay less than 30 plat per port.

The big issue with ports in my opinion is that people treat them as services, instead of products, but somehow forget that 99% of the time you pay a flat rate for a service and then tip on top of that based on your experience. For instance, when is the last time that you got a haircut without paying for the cost of the service itself ?

You are absolutely right that they should specify what they want as compensation, but while they are at it - get rid of the “suggested donation” bull shit. Either do it strictly on a donation basis and GTFOver it, or charge what you want to and drop the word donation, because that’s when it comes across as ridiculous.

Several times Ive came across Druids that charge per spell tier. So for instance level 29 spells were a different rate than 34, etc. I’ve also seen them include “tips greatly appreciated”. I think that’s the way to go and it would solve a lot of this bull shit

doomstove
02-23-2020, 03:24 AM
Maybe we can also use this time to discuss what an acceptable payment is, anyway. I usually pay what I can afford that is, at the very least, not going to be more expensive than what I'll actually make when I go somewhere for a group or whatever. I'm sure other people toss around several times more than me, but tip culture is inherently open, and whining about it just makes no sense.

I'd never gripe if someone tipped me 15 - 20pp for a port, but if someone tips me less that's OK too. I tip 5pp for important buffs and 20pp for ports assuming I am not inconveniencing someone. If someone goes above and beyond for me, I will do 30pp for buffs and 75pp for ports (e.g. pls come Clarity me at this nearby port so I don't lose this camp or can you port this rezzer to my body since the closest spire is 3 zones away).

On what average/normal looks like, I have a script that parses all port and trade data and throws it in a spreadsheet. I've only got ~140 datapoints in there now, but when I get 1,000+ ports in there I'll let you know what the averages look like.

What I can tell you today is that my most popular ports are EC to NRo (~30pp/port) and GFay to WC or NRo(~4pp/port). Most people in raiding guilds tip 30+ with most around 40, though they will do as much as 75 or 100pp, and people late at night trying to avoid a boat ride will pay fat stacks of cash, even if they have to wait for me to finish a quad and med up (~34pp average).

Hope this helped. :)

drdrakes
02-23-2020, 10:26 AM
You're 'not knowing how much to tip' while also posting on this forum pretty much sums up the kind of piece of shit you are =)

Wallicker
02-23-2020, 10:47 AM
Or you can send a tell saying will tip x amount for port from A to B. The porter will accept or decline.

CharlesBarkley
02-23-2020, 11:00 AM
I actually think 1pp per level is ok even at low levels. A level 9 should not be porting all over Norrath looking for a group. They should be hunkering down in an exp zone and grinding. If they’re not born near a good exp zone, they should save up 9pp, take one port, with bind, and grind in their new neighborhood.

What are your other thoughts on how other people should play everquest

Smellybuttface
02-23-2020, 11:25 AM
Donation, by definition, is a gratuity that doesn’t in itself require to pay anything. A “tip” on the other hand implies that some amount be given, though not clearly delineated.

Porters are just as much to blame when asking for something and not getting what they’re “unspoken” reserve is. The reason they ask for tips and not a straight amount is that they’re HOPING they get considerably more than what they’d charge. They’re not being altruistic, they’re providing a service and hoping for a big payout, but have to balance that with sometime accepting less.

If the porter simply asked for a donation or tip, it’s not OP’s fault the amount wasn’t acceptable to the porter. They can either ask for a flat rate, or ask for a tip. Flat rate guarantees they make a certain amount, tip means they could end up making much more at the risk of making less. Both have advantages, but it’s on them to set the terms. Not the one asking for a port.

There are ‘recommended’ amounts to give (1pp per level) but that’s just a custom, and not set in stone.

Fammaden
02-23-2020, 04:30 PM
Donation, by definition, is a gratuity that doesn’t in itself require to pay anything. A “tip” on the other hand implies that some amount be given, though not clearly delineated.

Porters are just as much to blame when asking for something and not getting what they’re “unspoken” reserve is. The reason they ask for tips and not a straight amount is that they’re HOPING they get considerably more than what they’d charge. They’re not being altruistic, they’re providing a service and hoping for a big payout, but have to balance that with sometime accepting less.

If the porter simply asked for a donation or tip, it’s not OP’s fault the amount wasn’t acceptable to the porter. They can either ask for a flat rate, or ask for a tip. Flat rate guarantees they make a certain amount, tip means they could end up making much more at the risk of making less. Both have advantages, but it’s on them to set the terms. Not the one asking for a port.

There are ‘recommended’ amounts to give (1pp per level) but that’s just a custom, and not set in stone.

We get it, you're cheap as shit and looking for any semantic reason to stiff people.

Every last one of you "well they shouldn't say DONATION then huurrrrr" fuckwads knows damn well they are doing it trying to make money. Its fake ass pixel cash, just give the fucker some of it for the convenience of being ported. Get over yourselves.

Smellybuttface
02-23-2020, 04:32 PM
We get it, you're cheap as shit and looking for any semantic reason to stiff people.

Every last one of you "well they shouldn't say DONATION then huurrrrr" fuckwads knows damn well they are doing it trying to make money. Its fake ass pixel cash, just give the fucker some of it for the convenience of being ported. Get over yourselves.

Words have meaning. I don’t stiff anytime I get ported, but if they’re looking for something specific then they can damn well say what the fuck they’re asking for.

Madae
02-23-2020, 05:16 PM
Get over yourselves.

Whew... Epic entitlement there, buddy.

cd288
02-23-2020, 10:47 PM
1 pp per level = absurd expectation for lowbies to pay

ldgo86
02-24-2020, 12:35 AM
1 pp per level = absurd expectation for lowbies to pay

For a first character on a server and completely new to EQ, yeah, 9p at level 9 is a lot. I don’t buy that for most people tho. On any character you could have 10p to spare if you did any research on quests and such in any starting area. Even Halas area has white bear pelts people want and will pay for, those drop from lv 2 bears.

When I first started I figured out what could be done pretty quick to accumulate plat at a low level.

Videri
02-24-2020, 01:57 AM
What are your other thoughts on how other people should play everquest

These entire forums are about how other people play Everquest.

Grinding levels on foot instead of wasting money on too many ports is good advice.

dunk harder

TomisFeline
02-24-2020, 04:46 AM
time is the commodity,
which seems to be a point missed by some here.

your Porter chose to spend it (time) porting you
in exchange of spending it (time) on something else that generates pixel wealth.

tip the porter, ffs. what the hell is wrong with you?
on the flip side, were I a porter, id ignore you as to never make the mistake of porting you again.

I believe smelly butt face has an accurate analysis on why hard prices aren't set. If prices get set, competition rises, standards protect the consumer, and the port cartel breaks down.

that being said, I happen to like the port cartel, and those of you who play classes that make more money have an easy opportunity to make someone happy by giving them more money.

when I played an enchanter, for example, id be embarrassed not giving 1pp per level minimum. understandable this isn't the case for a warrior.

Canelek
02-24-2020, 05:37 AM
One of the best things about being able to port others is not porting others. It just isn't worth it in the long run.

Smyd
02-24-2020, 07:34 AM
Summary for those of you that missed the actual point (because he did tip if you didn't get that far into his post) :

Wizards and Druids - Don't complain about the amount you were tipped if you didn't clearly stipulate what your minimum required tip amount was while offering/negotiating for your services.

If you ask for a random tip amount, then expect a random amount.

KingOrkish
02-24-2020, 11:49 AM
How the fuck are there always thread about this? It's not rocket science. 1pp per level is the "standard". If you can't afford it, speak on it. I tip anywhere from 20-70pp for a port depending on how my pocketbook is looking. If I'm low on funds, I let them now. Never once have I ever had someone gripe that I didn't tip well enough. Seriously makes me question the character of these individuals getting screamed on by porters.

firesyde424
02-24-2020, 12:07 PM
1pp per level.

I don't know that it's an accepted standard, but that's what I do. I usually tip 5 peridots or 50pp for my ports.

Bondrake
02-24-2020, 12:10 PM

Lmao look how mad you're getting over a post regarding a 21 year old video game for something that probably hasn't even affected you personally. Easy to tell who has a shitty life.

cd288
02-24-2020, 05:30 PM
For a first character on a server and completely new to EQ, yeah, 9p at level 9 is a lot. I don’t buy that for most people tho. On any character you could have 10p to spare if you did any research on quests and such in any starting area. Even Halas area has white bear pelts people want and will pay for, those drop from lv 2 bears.

When I first started I figured out what could be done pretty quick to accumulate plat at a low level.

Some people on the server get enjoyment from the game without trying to min/max everything, including how much plat they are making.

Smyd
02-25-2020, 01:33 AM
How the fuck are there always thread about this? It's not rocket science. 1pp per level is the "standard". If you can't afford it, speak on it. I tip anywhere from 20-70pp for a port depending on how my pocketbook is looking. If I'm low on funds, I let them now. Never once have I ever had someone gripe that I didn't tip well enough. Seriously makes me question the character of these individuals getting screamed on by porters.

It's also not rocket science to understand that giving what you can afford to someone who is asking for just that, is very far from the type of character you are describing.

If you're the type of person to offer ports for a random tip amount, what type of person are you to expect more than any given amount?

There are no written standards for this that players can religiously abide by, so trying to impose your own personal rules on others that may not be in the position to afford this, is quite unfair.

Wallicker
02-25-2020, 06:51 AM
Or you can send a tell saying will tip x amount for port from A to B. The porter will accept or decline.

Ex. “Hey, would you mind porting me from NK to BB, I will Pay you 5pp (insert excuse here ).”

- after this sentence apparently only a rocket scientist could come up with, within seconds you will know if you are getting a port from said Druid AND you will have eliminated all ambiguity bc they will next do 1 of 3 things.

1) Druid says “sure, On my way!” Or “sure, I have two ports ahead of you’”
2) Druid says “sorry, that tip is too small (or some rude remark in which is great RNF mat).
3) Silence

If you are polite and use the setup above I guarantee within asking 3 druids you will have your port. And all parties will have already agreed upon your cheapass rate and no one will get butthurt. Be wary of tipping like a cheapass consistently though as your deeds may spread. Hope this helps.

bodenn
02-25-2020, 07:03 AM
I am happy to get what ever the person pays. I don't set prices so I can't get mad if you pay less than i think you should. I also will add you to my /ignore list if you don't tip at all.

If you tip well i encourage you to PM me even when my tag is down because i will drop a quad in a heart beat for a good repeat customer.

I wont take a tip from a low level that you can tell isn't twinkled. I also buff them to the max.

I cast group SOW no matter what followed by the port. I load the destination prior to going to get them for less down time. I always regen anyone not at full health and necros if I am certain by just looking.

I don't do hammer hill pick ups and I don't do skyfire ramp pickups. I have been offered insane amounts to break this rule and have done so but I don't offer that in tells. Simply "sorry not bound there"

I am fine will smaller tips if Crack is included. I will also port for no tip and not /ignore if asked to up front.

I seldom get bad tips 1pp per level or 50pp if above 50 is just fine and dandy. My favorite is when give the option of a cash value or an unnamed item. I love surprises.

I even like gold because banking for me is easier than you.

Benanov
02-25-2020, 12:07 PM
I've had a silent policy for rezzes that is basically "whatever you stick in the trade window" - and I think I'm going to have to do away with it. Maybe at least the silent part.

1) No one brings me booze, bandages, or symbol reagents. (Okay, one person paid me in dots. I love you.)
2) If you're bound in a city, and you get rezzed, and you have all of 6p on you...you missed the boat there, I'm afraid. I even promised my group a cut. 500 mana for the 50% rez is a nontrivial amount. Well at least it was 1 plat for everyone. My bar was "if they tip, at least they tried" - I'm rethinking that.
3) If you don't tip well the first time, I might find myself less likely to rez you in the future.
4) I don't have to rez you. I'm doing it because I know what it's like to lose a chunk of orange off your bar for some stupid thing that happened. Show some appreciation for me undoing the stupidity that was your senseless death.

Smellybuttface
02-25-2020, 06:01 PM
2 Corinthians 9:7 - Each of you should give what you have decided in your heart to give, not reluctantly or under compulsion, for God loves a cheerful giver.

Fawqueue
02-25-2020, 08:44 PM
2 Corinthians 9:7 - Each of you should give what you have decided in your heart to give, not reluctantly or under compulsion, for God loves a cheerful giver.

I'll translate this for you all:

Ancient Illiterate Peasants 9:7 - Do whatever the fuck you feel like, God don't give a shit.

Wonkie
02-25-2020, 08:59 PM

Swish
02-25-2020, 09:33 PM
https://i.imgur.com/AMcLqWp.jpg

alsa
02-25-2020, 10:57 PM
I think the main problem here is people want to have it both ways.

By not stating how much they charge per port, there's the chance that some people will over pay, and they do. So in this case, porter will happily accept the extra payment and feels good about themselves. But the risk is that by not stating how much you want for your service, there are times people does not value your time and your service as much as you value them and we have the problem here.

How to fix that? Well easy, just like many people already said, just tell people how much you expected to be paid. But doing that would mean that those future "big tippers" will just pay the standard asked amount. But that's the risk for that.

You can't have it both ways.

Wonkie
02-25-2020, 11:05 PM
I think the main problem here is people want to have it both ways.

By not stating how much they charge per port, there's the chance that some people will over pay, and they do. So in this case, porter will happily accept the extra payment and feels good about themselves. But the risk is that by not stating how much you want for your service, there are times people does not value your time and your service as much as you value them and we have the problem here.

How to fix that? Well easy, just like many people already said, just tell people how much you expected to be paid. But doing that would mean that those future "big tippers" will just pay the standard asked amount. But that's the risk for that.

You can't have it both ways.

https://i.imgur.com/aUDk4pi.png

kaluppo
02-25-2020, 11:14 PM
I get that you're entitled, and spoiled, by rich folks, but if your first response is to complain because you didn't get the tip you wanted for a port (that you also didn't specifically ask for), then you can rightly go fuck yourself.

Way too little information here.

1). What level was your character that you got a port for?

2). How much was your tip/donation that the porter complained about?

I just don't get it. Perhaps you can, instead, tell me what you feel is appropriate so I can judge whether or not your time is worth it to me. Don't make me guess when, clearly, your expectations are through the roof, just so you can pitch a fit when you don't get it.

As has been previously stated, 1 pp per level is the popular rule of thumb. But this is just a guideline. Tipping 12 PP even if you are say lvl 20 is not going to ruffle too many feathers. Just try to be somewhat close to 1 pp per level and you'll be fine.

If you can't or won't come close to that guideline then communicate this before the port. I had a lvl 25 toon send me a tell asking if I would port him for 5 PP because it was all he had on him. I ported him for free and was happy to do it. Now if that same player solicited me for a port and then just tipped that small amount for his level without warning, I would have called him a cheap prick.

Isn't it all just money anyway? When all you're doing is standing around being useless in ecom and you have nothing better to do, and the entire process is free anyway, shouldn't you be thankful you get anything at all?

Are boats not free? Are your legs broken? It's just time and the game is free. Shouldn't you be thankful that you don't actually need a port? You may want one but you don't need one. If you are going to be a cheap tipper then communicate this up front and claim whatever you are offering is all you have on you.

I'm sure there will be a bunch of people lining up to tell me where I'm wrong about this, but let's go back to point #1 here; if it's important to you, form a fucking a union and set a price already.

That would be the Dial a Port union.

You want free ports? Put all your gear in bags and claim to be on a corpse run. You may wait longer for a port but at least the price will be affordable, even to the cheapest of port tippers.

mcoy
02-26-2020, 12:49 AM
I've had a silent policy for rezzes that is basically "whatever you stick in the trade window" - and I think I'm going to have to do away with it. Maybe at least the silent part.

1) No one brings me booze, bandages, or symbol reagents. (Okay, one person paid me in dots. I love you.)
2) If you're bound in a city, and you get rezzed, and you have all of 6p on you...you missed the boat there, I'm afraid. I even promised my group a cut. 500 mana for the 50% rez is a nontrivial amount. Well at least it was 1 plat for everyone. My bar was "if they tip, at least they tried" - I'm rethinking that.
3) If you don't tip well the first time, I might find myself less likely to rez you in the future.
4) I don't have to rez you. I'm doing it because I know what it's like to lose a chunk of orange off your bar for some stupid thing that happened. Show some appreciation for me undoing the stupidity that was your senseless death.

If anyone's on your blacklist or if you're just not feeling it - tell them to pm me.

-Mcoy

solleks
02-26-2020, 01:00 AM
OP is racist against gnomes and halfling

Tethler
02-26-2020, 04:22 AM
OP, how much was your tip that you triggered your porter so hard? Did you pay in silver?

Madae
02-26-2020, 06:09 AM
OP, how much was your tip that you triggered your porter so hard? Did you pay in silver?

3p at level 11.

Tethler
02-26-2020, 06:39 AM
3p at level 11.

Heh nice. I've paid for ports with items in the past. Like give the druid a HQ bear pelt and a stack of bone chips. Stuff that low levels can get their hands on even if they don't have coin.

Noren
02-26-2020, 06:44 AM
When I ask a porter, I tell him how much I'll donate to him.

If he agrees, we are both happy, if not then it's ok for both of us, no drama.

Sometimes I give a little more if the porter is fast/have to wait me or have to travel.

Agreeing on price before trade is the best way I can think of..

Vallyx
02-26-2020, 07:26 AM
tl;dr

OP is crying that porters expect to be compensated for their time

Canelek
02-26-2020, 07:32 AM
Some of you think that EQ money is real money is the takeaway here, eh?

Tethler
02-26-2020, 07:44 AM
Some of you think that EQ money is real money is the takeaway here, eh?

I mean, if someone RMTs, it becomes real money.

Fammaden
02-26-2020, 07:59 AM
3p at level 11.

Were you wearing full rubi and DW'ing yaks?

Frug
02-26-2020, 08:47 AM
tl;dr

OP is crying that porters expect to be compensated for their time

He has one point; if the porter doesn't set a price, he should not complain about what he gets.

But yeah, saying it's just time for the porter, but ignoring it's the same "just time" for the portee, is a bit of entitled bullshit.

Madae
02-26-2020, 09:06 PM
But yeah, saying it's just time for the porter, but ignoring it's the same "just time" for the portee, is a bit of entitled bullshit.

You guys crack me up.

Smellybuttface
02-26-2020, 09:50 PM
If you can’t afford a port, at least offer to cyber with the Druid/Wiz. If you’re coin can’t satisfy them, maybe your seductivity can get them ‘where they need to go.’

Alzeric
02-26-2020, 10:53 PM
Ill give my 2 cents as somebody new to the server, only one char so far, and a very very small friends list.

I have heard that p99 uses a common standard of 1p per level. That has its ups and downs as a youngling as it forces you to to be EXTREMELY picky about ports and restricts the exploration of the game but nor would I want to spend my night porting lvl 5s all over for 5p a shot. I wonder if most of you realize how far from live servers the culture of p99 is. 1p per level is a heavy cost in that relation but on this server LOTS of players seem to have fat loads in the back and dropping that kind of cash is nothing. This is not a complaint as i'm just pointing out the difference in servers.

The "establishment" of ports (really we cant say their name here?) I personally think has a bit of sticker shock but dam its nice to be able and /a all *** and get a port at 3am. Its they way of the server and the economy here. On the ultra fking cool side twice now I have ran to the bank to get $ for a port on a CR and the porter refused to take the tip. They ported me for free and even buffed me. That shiz don't happen on live servers.

I guess the short point I am trying to make is that this is the way of the server and so be it. But to label the population as greedy $ mongers I just don't see it. Nearly every single player I have met have been cool peeps with a mature sense of playing and very helpful. It more then offsets the price of ports.
Now if there was a fast way to get a bind at 3am that would be worth $ too as there seems to very little population in the towns. Changing a bind on p99 if your a new guy takes hours of /ooc begging.

Peppykorn
02-27-2020, 03:51 AM
Porters should advertise clearly the amount if they are expecting a certain amount, you should say ‘porting available, 50pp per’ instead of using misleading words like ‘tips’ and ‘donations’. If you don’t want to port, then clearly reply that you are not porting or don’t reply at all.

On the other hand, people looking for port service should also be clear like ‘can you port me from a to b for 50pp?’ ‘Would you be able to port me from a to b for free?’ when sending druids and wizards a tell, otherwise take a hike

Splixxen
02-27-2020, 04:48 AM
I'd never set a fixed rate for my ports.
I never check the level when someone ask for a port and I'd feel horrible charging a lowbie 50pp for a port.

When people ask if there's a rate I always tell them "Whatever you can spare".
This is to give everyone a chance for a port and not feel cheap.

Sure some higher level abuse that and tip a low, but it still means a lower level is able to get a port.

Give your tipper what you can afford. Dont try to "abuse the system" by going "Well in that case I can only give you 1 gold on my level 50 in full Rubi, since I cant spare anything", since I can also simply put you on ignore if you try to abuse my service.
Same with the few people who abused the "CR ports are free" then started to equip their gear as they ran away after the port. Easy way to get on ignore.. and come'on what a pathetic way to save a few PP.

In 99% of the cases people are able to use common sense and if they're in doubt, they can always ask.

As for needing a bind, most of us wont mind dropping by and binding.

- Splixx

Tarsonis
02-27-2020, 08:11 AM
Better idea OP

1.) Your the one in need of a port, you tell the porter how much your going to pay him for his service in the first message to him. [ i.e. = /tell druid Hi, BB ring to Ferrott ring. 20plat ]

2.) He can ignore since 1-19 plat isn't worth the time to (a) port to where you are (b) port you to where you want to go (c) port back to where he was before you asked.

Take the boat if you don't pay a min of 20plat. There no flat rate for ports because sometimes a person will give you a lot more, but 20 plat is generally understood as the min fee for a port.

If anyone ever was to buy a port from me if they offered between 1 and 19 plat I would ignore them.

Tarsonis
02-27-2020, 08:17 AM
Now you say
"20 plat is way to much for a port"
And I say.
"Then take the boat, run all the way to where you want to go, and try not getting killed by mobs on your run. Good Luck!"

With a port your not only saving time, your buying safe travel. Not to mention buffs if you ask for them and if you put another 10plat on top of the port fee I'd even run to town and bind you if you needed.

BlackBellamy
02-27-2020, 08:47 AM
That has its ups and downs as a youngling as it forces you to to be EXTREMELY picky about ports and restricts the exploration of the game

This is fine. You can get everywhere by walking and taking boats. Exploration isn't really rewarding if someone drops you off at the front gate.

The "establishment" of ports (really we cant say their name here?)

Of course you can say their name, or whoever's name. This is the specific forum for doing so. It's encouraged.

But to label the population as greedy $ mongers I just don't see it.

For every person who accuses people of being greedy there is an equal and opposite accusation of cheapness, so they cancel each other out.

Madae
02-27-2020, 03:14 PM
For every person who accuses people of being greedy there is an equal and opposite accusation of cheapness, so they cancel each other out.

And then there are people like you who obviously can't read, because I didn't mention the word greedy at all in the OP. It wasn't even an implication until your dumb post later in the thread.

The point is and will always remain to be; if you're expecting an amount and you didn't get it, throwing a fit about it is not an effective way to go about resolving the problem.

Tarsonis
02-27-2020, 03:54 PM
And then there are people like you who obviously can't read, because I didn't mention the word greedy at all in the OP. It wasn't even an implication until your dumb post later in the thread.

The point is and will always remain to be; if you're expecting an amount and you didn't get it, throwing a fit about it is not an effective way to go about resolving the problem.

Tell the porter in the first message you send to him the amount your paying and let him decide if its worth his time to port you.

For me its like this.

/tell Druid :Hi Port from BB ring to Ferrott ring 1-19 plat
/tell You :Nope

or

/tell Druid :Hi Port from BB ring to Ferrott ring 20 plat
/tell You :Sure be there in a minute

If you think that's unreasonable take the boat. With the mana I use up porting you I could have killed 2 hill giants and made between 20 and 80 plat potentially.

If you think the service of ports is valueless then it is also equally valueless for me or another porter to port you around.

BlackBellamy
02-27-2020, 04:14 PM
I didn't mention the word greedy at all in the OP. It wasn't even an implication until your dumb post later in the thread.

What are you some kind of a fucking idiot?

The thread title is Greedy Wizards and Druids.

aspomwell
02-27-2020, 05:24 PM
Now if there was a fast way to get a bind at 3am that would be worth $ too as there seems to very little population in the towns. Changing a bind on p99 if your a new guy takes hours of /ooc begging.

The guild may be called 'dial a port', but they do a lot of other services too. Depending on your destination, they may oblige to running over a zone line or two to bind you as long as you make that part of your request. Hell, if your destination is surefall or gfay they can bind you right there!

A couple times I've done cross-continent item transfers using them. Give them a bag in EC tunnel to give to your new toon over in GFAY. I try to tip a iittle extra for that service but it's always an option too!

Fawqueue
02-27-2020, 05:45 PM

Glad you said it because it was exactly what I was thinking.

Madae
02-27-2020, 06:03 PM

That is not the OP, that is the thread title.

Madae
02-27-2020, 06:23 PM
Tell the porter in the first message you send to him the amount your paying and let him decide if its worth his time to port you.

For me its like this.

/tell Druid :Hi Port from BB ring to Ferrott ring 1-19 plat
/tell You :Nope

or

/tell Druid :Hi Port from BB ring to Ferrott ring 20 plat
/tell You :Sure be there in a minute

If you think that's unreasonable take the boat. With the mana I use up porting you I could have killed 2 hill giants and made between 20 and 80 plat potentially.

If you think the service of ports is valueless then it is also equally valueless for me or another porter to port you around.

It's not so much of an issue now that I'm actually making money and can pay the prices people have been discussing here. The unreasonable expectation that had been placed and are hard to apply to lower levels was where I was coming from. At any rate, I got enough of an idea of what to expect now.

indiscriminate_hater
02-27-2020, 06:32 PM
Now you say
"20 plat is way to much for a port"
And I say.
"Then take the boat, run all the way to where you want to go, and try not getting killed by mobs on your run. Good Luck!"

With a port your not only saving time, your buying safe travel. Not to mention buffs if you ask for them and if you put another 10plat on top of the port fee I'd even run to town and bind you if you needed.

This level of English competency is about what I expect from the average druid/wizard on P99

Madae
02-27-2020, 06:38 PM
This level of English competency is about what I expect from the average druid/wizard on P99

Still not nearly as bad as the TLP servers.

DMN
02-27-2020, 06:45 PM
Someone needs to photoshop that sneering jew caricature image on a halfling body so we can distract horza for the next couple months. Bonus points if you edit in the name Jewid Platberg.

Madae
02-27-2020, 06:49 PM
We take everything literally in this thread.

El-Hefe
02-27-2020, 07:00 PM
Y’all need Jesus.

Bardp1999
02-27-2020, 07:32 PM
15pp and not a copper more - NOT A COPPER

Bardp1999
02-27-2020, 07:33 PM
and on Green - 10pp max until Kunark - NOT A COPPER MORE I TELL YA

BlackBellamy
02-27-2020, 07:39 PM

I would like to direct you to the thread where some asshole is all like why the fuck people put pp can't they just put p the pieces is understood you dumb shits. Personally I don't have an oppinion on it but maybe you can make him see.

DMN
02-27-2020, 07:39 PM
15pp and not a copper more - NOT A COPPER

You could use a bit of an avatar update yourself.

Madae
02-27-2020, 08:12 PM
I would like to direct you to the thread where some asshole is all like why the fuck people put pp can't they just put p the pieces is understood you dumb shits. Personally I don't have an oppinion on it but maybe you can make him see.

Everything you say makes you look triggered.

Smellybuttface
02-27-2020, 10:05 PM
Why is this dogshit thread still going?

Madae
02-27-2020, 10:23 PM

For the lulz.

Wrekt
02-27-2020, 10:25 PM

Take the boat, you cheap fuck!

aaezil
02-28-2020, 03:49 AM
Op is mad/bad

Wallicker
02-28-2020, 07:31 AM
When will this thread end. We need something better. We Deserve something better.

Madae
02-28-2020, 09:55 AM
I was expecting more from this forum... maybe something where people went to engage in an epic battle of wits, but all I got is low effort shitposting...

You got people like BlackBellamy who acted like he just discovered swear words and is trying way too hard to be offensive... but I guess I shouldn't have expected much from a New Yorker. At least when a southerner is being stupid, their accent actually has charm to it.

These guys;

When will this thread end. We need something better. We Deserve something better.

... complaining about a thread not dying... while actively posting in the thread and keeping it alive. Weird.

And then this;

Op is mad/bad

The kind of response I expect from a 12 year old, because, ya know, their brains aren't fully developed yet, but you're playing a 22 year old game, which means you're easily in your 30's, most likely in your 40's, and quite possibly in your 50's, and that just makes me giggle. Does babby want his bottle?

Very disappointed.

BlackBellamy
02-28-2020, 10:10 AM
I was expecting more from this forum... maybe something where people went to engage in an epic battle of wits, but all I got is low effort shitposting...

You got people like BlackBellamy who acted like he just discovered swear words and is trying way too hard to be offensive... but I guess I shouldn't have expected much from a New Yorker. At least when a southerner is being stupid, their accent actually has charm to it.

These guys;

... complaining about a thread not dying... while actively posting in the thread and keeping it alive. Weird.

And then this;

The kind of response I expect from a 12 year old, because, ya know, their brains aren't fully developed yet, but you're playing a 22 year old game, which means you're easily in your 30's, most likely in your 40's, and quite possibly in your 50's, and that just makes me giggle. Does babby want his bottle?

Very disappointed.

You can't spell BABY you fucking retard and meanwhile you're trying to leak /iamversmart like an octogenarian trying to make it to CVS.

Madae
02-28-2020, 10:16 AM
You can't spell BABY you fucking retard and meanwhile you're trying to leak /iamversmart like an octogenarian trying to make it to CVS.

lol, are you trying to throw memes at me while not knowing one of the oldest memes in the book?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=39lHPHs8bV8

I guess it's true then... you really are retarded. I'm starting to feel bad now.

Madae
02-28-2020, 10:33 AM
Speaking of low effort, here is my paint image of what I see every time Bellamy slaps his limp wrists on his keyboard.

DMN
02-28-2020, 10:40 AM
lol, are you trying to throw memes at me while not knowing one of the oldest memes in the book?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=39lHPHs8bV8

I guess it's true then... you really are retarded. I'm starting to feel bad now.

LoL at that being an old "meme". It's not even a meme in the first place. Even if it were a meme, you be meme-ing that you are a fucking moron by using it. You should feel bad because you took your 1/10 post down to 0/10 with all your stupid posts.

BlackBellamy
02-28-2020, 10:44 AM

I'm trying as hard as I can but this guy can't be riled because he has an extensive meme library to fall back on.

Madae
02-28-2020, 10:46 AM
LoL at that being an old "meme". It's not even a meme in the first place. Even if it were a meme, you be meme-ing that you are a fucking moron by using it. You should feel bad because you took your 1/10 post down to 0/10 with all your stupid posts.

What

Madae
02-28-2020, 10:47 AM
an extensive meme library to fall back on.

I posted one.

BlackBellamy
02-28-2020, 10:47 AM
I'm trying as hard as I can but this guy can't be riled because he has an extensive meme library to fall back on.

Oh shit never mind, I think I scored hard. Dude is painting my icon, now I know I'm in his head.

Madae
02-28-2020, 10:49 AM
Oh shit never mind, I think I scored hard. Dude is painting my icon, now I know I'm in his head.

That's quite the reach... but while you're at it, I think DMN could use some lovin'.

BlackBellamy
02-28-2020, 10:52 AM
I was thinking about using your icon as my new one but you lost the animation so no.

DMN
02-28-2020, 11:01 AM
What

You are dumb fuck. that clear things up, "babby"?

Madae
02-28-2020, 11:16 AM
You are dumb fuck. that clear things up, "babby"?

No

twitchthroe
03-03-2020, 01:44 AM
I never tip the pizza guy, he doesn't ask for one and he's already getting paid, and at the end of the day all he's providing is a heart attack early in life. What were we talking about again?

Videri
03-03-2020, 02:16 AM
Speaking of low effort, here is my paint image of what I see every time Bellamy slaps his limp wrists on his keyboard.

This is really funny. :)

magnetaress
03-03-2020, 08:52 AM
No one ever helps wizards n druids and they learn to be independent n self sufficient. That is not greed.