PDA

View Full Version : Brown Chitin Protector thread

Videri
02-20-2020, 10:12 AM
Hey guys, I have a question. I was wondering if I should buy a Brown Chitin Protector for my druid. Here are the stats.

Slot: CHEST
AC: 12
DEX: +9 STA: +9 AGI: +9
WT: 10.0 Size: LARGE
Class: DRU
Race: HUM ELF HEF HFL

Just kidding. I would rather wear a chest item with wisdom, mana, hp, or resists that weighs less than 10 pounds.

My real question is: why are people trying to sell this for 2-3k? Is that its actual value? Has someone ever bought it for that much?

And if so, are people playing melee druids or something? Is this is Diablo II expansion with a Fury werewolf build? Is this World of Warcraft with a Guardian druid tank build? Or is this EverQuest, where druids don't use AC nor agility nor dexterity and don't want to wear 10 pounds of garbage on their chest when they could have wisdom there instead?

*pants heavily*

ldgo86
02-20-2020, 10:17 AM
I wondered this too. Is it just for fashion quest? Because if I see a Druid wearing this I just chuckle.

lubyen13
02-20-2020, 10:20 AM
I completely agree. I have some guildies (level 30+ druids) looking to buy this. This is almost a worthless piece of gear. I get that in early levels you are meleeing, and hey if you have this, more power to you. I just don't understand the value and post 20 you are barely in melee range anyways. I will stick with +wis gear chest.

Taiku
02-20-2020, 10:39 AM
I remember buying this for my druid in 1999! I was a very casual player and never got to max level on the druid, but I really liked the idea of having all those random stats and the plate look on my wood elf, I seem to remember it costing more like 500p though!

Didn't really know it wasn't good but I liked it a lot, anyway.

drdrakes
02-20-2020, 10:43 AM
Just a fashion/ nostalgia item. The tints don't look right to me though so the BCP looks yellow and the BCL look greenish so I don't really care for it.

Swish
02-20-2020, 11:18 AM
Fashionquest, nothing more... unless there's some roleplay melee druids out there tanking somewhere.

Hazek
02-20-2020, 11:23 AM
Because it makes you tankier and looks awesome. WIS not worth looking like 99% of other druids with tree pajamas.

DMN
02-20-2020, 11:45 AM
it's a fashion quest item to pair with other plate-appearing items like:

https://wiki.project1999.com/Black_Chitin_Leggings

Nirgon
02-20-2020, 11:56 AM
Looks too good on a wood elf druid.

Don't be a moran.

Graventhel
02-20-2020, 12:03 PM
You had to be there, I suppose. The height of druid fashion back then was the Brown Chitin Protector, Black Chitin Leggings, Golden Efreeti Boots, and a Runed Falchion.

Modwolf
02-20-2020, 01:03 PM
You had to be there, I suppose. The height of druid fashion back then was the Brown Chitin Protector, Black Chitin Leggings, Golden Efreeti Boots, and a Runed Falchion.

Only on a woodelf, poor halfling get jaundiced feet in those boots.

Kaedain
02-20-2020, 01:08 PM
Don’t forget the runed mithril bracers too!

RipVanFish
02-20-2020, 01:38 PM
Fashionquest sells. I got one of the first BCPs on green and Druids were tripping over each other to buy it from me.

Bigsham
02-20-2020, 04:36 PM
its a low level twink item when you are meleeing

thats it

good until level 20 or so then go wis items

actual value? 250p

Videri
02-20-2020, 05:51 PM
Thanks for the replies. Ok, cool, so it turns out the Brown Chitin Protector's value is primarily for fashionquest and perhaps low-level durability. I tend to prioritize stats over looks, but I must acknowledge that in EverQuest, you can often accomplish whatever you want to do while wearing almost any gear.

I hope this clarifies the negotiations for this item and I hope my exaggerated rant gave some folks some laffs.

Cen
02-20-2020, 05:57 PM
I tend to prioritize stats over looks

wtf is the matter with you

Videri
02-20-2020, 06:00 PM
wtf is the matter with you

I'm sorry. I learned how to play EverQuest on Red. :/

marquisxxx
02-20-2020, 06:01 PM
Someone gave my level 1 halfling druid one of these on Blue when I first started. And I still wear it, along with my Glaive of Marltek (https://wiki.project1999.com/Glaive_of_Marltek).

Nirgon
02-20-2020, 07:16 PM
Solmn has one for sale, for now.

shovelquest
02-20-2020, 07:44 PM
Fashion quest.

Pre kunark a druid wears full plate (sans arm) and looks effing magic as eff!

silo32
02-20-2020, 07:51 PM
Top Secrect

silo32
02-20-2020, 07:53 PM
Those that understand how to utilize this bp will swap it out and in. The 'un educated will say fashion quest and those that are curious about it's use like op will ask quuestions in this thread Something is special about it.

I bet you haven't figured out how to use the three sea shells

silo32
02-20-2020, 08:03 PM
Nephew Delete this

beargryllz
02-20-2020, 09:18 PM
Imagine thinking some dinky +3 wisdom chest actually does anything

What, you really want that one extra flame lick?

DMN
02-20-2020, 09:41 PM

MRT is 50 mana at level 50. Every little bit helps on a druid for quading. If you used this logic for al your armor pieces you'd be sitting there in basic leather.

Asteria
02-20-2020, 09:56 PM
Werefurry build - WTB high dps Maul

Cen
02-20-2020, 11:28 PM
The object of fashionquest is to essentially dress like the class you aren't. Casters wear plate, melee wear robes, non dark elves try to look like dark elves with guise, and the rarest illusion item you own is the highest tier fashion quest. Bards with halfling mask / barbarian mask / water elemental form, etc

You gotta whip that fat one out

Videri
02-21-2020, 12:13 AM

Firstly, I agree that we shouldn't just blindly stack wisdom because "priests need wisdom." There are many group sessions where we're limited not by mana pool, but by mana regen...more wisdom doesn't help if you're nearly oom all the time.

Secondly, the real question is what is more valuable: fashionquest; melee stats; or wisdom. It depends on the situation and player preference.

However...if I were solo kiting or quadding, I'd rather have a dinky +3 wisdom chest than anything without wisdom, even if it's a beautiful piece of craftsmanship like a Brown Chitin Protector.

Videri
02-21-2020, 12:13 AM
The object of fashionquest is to essentially dress like the class you aren't. Casters wear plate, melee wear robes, non dark elves try to look like dark elves with guise, and the rarest illusion item you own is the highest tier fashion quest. Bards with halfling mask / barbarian mask / water elemental form, etc

Hm! Insightful! Good observation.

Videri
02-21-2020, 12:14 AM
Top Secrect

Those that understand how to utilize this bp will swap it out and in. The 'un educated will say fashion quest and those that are curious about it's use like op will ask quuestions in this thread Something is special about it.

I bet you haven't figured out how to use the three sea shells

Nephew Delete this

silo, please explain...all of this. :p

Edit: wait, the three sea shells...are those the three 9s in the stats? How, indeed, do we use them?

Tethler
02-21-2020, 05:35 AM
it's a fashion quest item to pair with other plate-appearing items like:

https://wiki.project1999.com/Black_Chitin_Leggings

Yas! I wore this combo on blue for a bit when I was leveling. Solid low level fashion quest. As far as stats, it's a turd.

Same reason people wear blackened iron armor from Runnyeye. It's worse than banded AND heavier, but has that black tint so it looks different.

OuterChimp
02-21-2020, 10:45 AM
My druid wears fine steel plate cause he's l33t.

Eyeke
02-22-2020, 12:27 AM
I'm selling one of these if someone wants to buy it. :)

silo32
02-22-2020, 12:30 AM
chit ton of them now in ec tunnel think around 10pp per

Hazek
02-22-2020, 05:54 AM
Yas! I wore this combo on blue for a bit when I was leveling. Solid low level fashion quest. As far as stats, it's a turd.

Same reason people wear blackened iron armor from Runnyeye. It's worse than banded AND heavier, but has that black tint so it looks different.

It has the highest pre-raid AC and 9 STA and 9 AGI which adds even more AC.

You will get hit by mobs while leveling and even at higher levels from adds or charming.

And you can get plenty of WIS from other pieces.

Plus the look.

That's why its worth a decent amount of plat.

Its a good BP but so is a chest piece with WIS. Depends on the situation.