PDA

View Full Version : Which weapon in main hand?

Annona
02-20-2020, 09:42 AM
For Rogue:

Gloomwater Harpoon 9/31
Polished Steel Dirk 8/23

Wiki suggests Gloomwater Harpoon but according to the DPS chart the dirk puts out more damage. Would I not want the dirk in main hand?

Wallicker
02-20-2020, 09:44 AM
Dirk for sure.

azeth
02-20-2020, 09:55 AM
What is the obsession over the gloomwater in classic... its been trash in every era. just because it pierces doesnt mean its a rogue weapon.

Wallicker
02-20-2020, 10:02 AM
Dirk is almost 20% more dps not accounting for small uptick in BS dmg from the gloomwater I’d say it’s a solid 10% better sustained dps using napkin math.

Kalamurv
02-20-2020, 10:43 AM
Normally you want the highest dmg poker main hand for higher backstabs, but in this case with dirk being so much faster I would put it main hand. Best bet though would be parse and see which does more dps for you.

Annona
02-20-2020, 10:51 AM
What is the obsession over the gloomwater in classic... its been trash in every era. just because it pierces doesnt mean its a rogue weapon.

What do you recommend that is not too hard to get?

Swish
02-20-2020, 11:15 AM
What is the obsession over the gloomwater in classic...

You can call it a "gloom poon" <3

Swish
02-20-2020, 11:17 AM
For Rogue:

Gloomwater Harpoon 9/31
Polished Steel Dirk 8/23

Wiki suggests Gloomwater Harpoon but according to the DPS chart the dirk puts out more damage. Would I not want the dirk in main hand?

The dirk is better overall, your backstab damage will be slightly less but for the big ratio difference you might as well go for it until you have a better damage main hand. The dirk is a fine off hand at that point, low delay is good for it <3

DMN
02-20-2020, 01:53 PM
The answer is both: the harpoon when you backstab and the dirk any other time.

BlackBellamy
02-20-2020, 01:56 PM
Assume no weapon switching for this answer. No one likes it, let's not encourage bard-like behavior out there.

Annona
02-20-2020, 02:14 PM
The answer is both: the harpoon when you backstab and the dirk any other time.

I would assume the act of switching the weapons back and forth, even if you could do so very fast would negate the extra DPS due to missing a cycle of damage to the time it took to switch them. Am I incorrect with this?

If I am right, what is the point of your answer? We know 9 is better then 8 for BS damage.

DMN
02-20-2020, 02:39 PM
I would assume the act of switching the weapons back and forth, even if you could do so very fast would negate the extra DPS due to missing a cycle of damage to the time it took to switch them. Am I incorrect with this?

If I am right, what is the point of your answer? We know 9 is better then 8 for BS damage.

I dunno. Just how long does it take you to press left click on your mouse twice and and click a button on the keyboard?

Cen
02-20-2020, 03:02 PM

For rogues, probably. For this difference in weapon speed, maybe, but for the extra 1 damage for all this? Not worth wasting effort.

Dirk mainhand and find a sexy slasher or blunt for offhand.

Bigsham
02-20-2020, 04:35 PM
who would switch for backstab for a measely 1 damage?

in everquest faster weapon goes primary

zaneosak
02-20-2020, 05:46 PM

I put these two items on my rogue alt semi-twink. What is the better option then?

DMN
02-20-2020, 05:47 PM
who would switch for backstab for a measely 1 damage?

in everquest faster weapon goes primary

1. Cause you got nothing better to do as a rogue.
2. cause the main reason to pay a rogue is to do damage, and it does more of it.
3. the only other reason to play a rogue is to see big numbers, and it gibes bigger numbers/backstabs.

A better question is what kind of loser wouldn't?

Zeboim
02-20-2020, 05:49 PM
Sub 46, who cares.

After 46, just go get a rot Eyerazzia.

Cen
02-20-2020, 05:54 PM
As a middleground, get a better ratio secondary to the dirk as primary, and switch in the harpoon for a backstab just to the primary slot. Its effective and slightly easier then a swap of primary and secondary. A third drop in switch isn't that annoying.

Wallicker
02-20-2020, 05:54 PM
Rot phinny trident pre 46

Gatorsmash
02-22-2020, 12:47 PM
For Rogue:

Gloomwater Harpoon 9/31
Polished Steel Dirk 8/23

.29 gloom vs .35 Dirk pre lvl 35? Probably doesn't matter

Higher level when the weapon damage gets pretty different between weapons, your off hand weapon delay number will be important since it directly effects your off hand dps.

Kalamurv
02-22-2020, 09:25 PM
I honestly don't know why people worry about offhand delay, they obviously don't understand how it works....the only time you ever need to worry about offhand delay is if you have a faster main hand. The way your offhand works is this, every time you swing your main hand, eq does a dual wield check, if successful it then checks whether your delay has cycled, then rolls for a hit, follow on success by multiplying base dmg x 1d20 (hence why you will always have 20 separate hits for any weapon), and checking that dmg vs npcs ac to weight it whether its towards top or bottom end etc.

At lower levels in the game, your dual wield is honestly kinda shit so don't even bother worrying about the delay of the weapon, just go for higher dmg (although you want the highest possible dmg poker main hand for backstab).

Zeboim
02-23-2020, 12:57 AM
I honestly don't know why people worry about offhand delay, they obviously don't understand how it works....the only time you ever need to worry about offhand delay is if you have a faster main hand. The way your offhand works is this, every time you swing your main hand, eq does a dual wield check, if successful it then checks whether your delay has cycled, then rolls for a hit, follow on success by multiplying base dmg x 1d20 (hence why you will always have 20 separate hits for any weapon), and checking that dmg vs npcs ac to weight it whether its towards top or bottom end etc.

At lower levels in the game, your dual wield is honestly kinda shit so don't even bother worrying about the delay of the weapon, just go for higher dmg (although you want the highest possible dmg poker main hand for backstab).

I was under the impression that the 'Offhand only swings when mainhand does' was an old wive's tale from Live.

Gatorsmash
02-23-2020, 01:11 AM

Do you even lift bro? Lol this is about as wrong as you can be
I was under the impression that the 'Offhand only swings when mainhand does' was an old wive's tale from Live.
It is. Everytime the delay of your off-hand triggers eq does a DW check. Its completely independent of your main hand.

- it's on the wiki under the skill

Asteria
02-23-2020, 01:18 AM
Assume no weapon switching for this answer. No one likes it, let's not encourage bard-like behavior out there.

Agreed, unless you need to grab your shield for warrior bash maybe? :p

Wallicker
02-23-2020, 05:37 AM
Jfc polished steel dirk will parse better from the front, side, back lvl 1-50.