PDA

View Full Version : Do pets benefit from armour?

RipVanFish
02-18-2020, 01:32 PM
I’ve heard some people say they were reasonably sure this was the case (chanters giving their pets a - mr gear) but they couldn’t swear to it.

Does anyone have any evidence that this is or isn’t the case?

Would giving my mage pet a suit of banded increase his ac by a bunch?

branamil
02-18-2020, 01:38 PM
Possibly might notice on level 1-4 pets. But I wasted a bunch of money giving my pet a full suit of plate and had no effect.

uygi
02-18-2020, 04:30 PM
Pets can wear armor, and aren’t subject to any race/class/deity restrictions. They have every slot you have, except they can only wear one earring/ring/bracer. AFAIK AC doesn’t help them, but they do get the stat bonuses. I doubt (don’t know) that attribute stat (STR/STA/etc) bonuses do anything, but the resists should work. Worn haste definitely works, I’m sure some rich psychotic enchanter has gone around giving pets FBSSs, but the obvious pet haste item is Muzzle of Mardu.

Pets also have very large inventories. I’m not sure how big it is or if it has a limited number of slots, but you can definitely charm a pet and just dump piles of FS weapons and other loot onto it, and at the end you can kill the pet and loot it all back. Pets can’t hold stacks of items (it won’t let you give stacks anyways) and they won’t hold coin (it’ll just poof).

Bigsham
02-18-2020, 04:35 PM
Phantom plate

Cerate
02-18-2020, 06:01 PM
Not only do resist gear work on pets, but haste items work as well (hence muzzle of mardu). AC is more difficult to demonstrate.

cubiczar
02-19-2020, 12:31 AM
I don't have any concrete evidence, but my lvl 12 fire pet seemed to do a lot better after dumping a bunch of leather armor on him. At the beginning of a night his health goes down pretty fast and I'd have to use nukes a fair amount, but as the night wears on and his suit of leather was completed he seemed to tank a lot better.

This was doing orcs and I was there for a couple hours a night for about a week and each night was the same so I don't think it was a fluke.

But then it is a level 12 pet so I don't know if it is noticable at higher levels.

Natewest1987
02-19-2020, 12:36 AM
Pets can wear armor, and aren’t subject to any race/class/deity restrictions. They have every slot you have, except they can only wear one earring/ring/bracer. AFAIK AC doesn’t help them, but they do get the stat bonuses. I doubt (don’t know) that attribute stat (STR/STA/etc) bonuses do anything, but the resists should work. Worn haste definitely works, I’m sure some rich psychotic enchanter has gone around giving pets FBSSs, but the obvious pet haste item is Muzzle of Mardu.

Pets also have very large inventories. I’m not sure how big it is or if it has a limited number of slots, but you can definitely charm a pet and just dump piles of FS weapons and other loot onto it, and at the end you can kill the pet and loot it all back. Pets can’t hold stacks of items (it won’t let you give stacks anyways) and they won’t hold coin (it’ll just poof).

Omg. I didn’t realize about the loot mule. Genius.

Natewest1987
02-19-2020, 12:37 AM
I always give my pet any banded or bronze that drops. I think it makes a difference.

Seducio
02-19-2020, 01:22 AM
They have every slot you have, except they can only wear one earring/ring/bracer.

This was previously tested on Blue. Assuming Green is like Blue regarding Pet equips then two rings can be given to a pet.

https://www.project1999.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1442744&postcount=29

--> Credit for discovery on p99 - Tecmos (2014)

Wallicker
02-19-2020, 06:52 AM
I don’t have empirical data but giving my pet a full set of crusty on blue made a noticeable difference. Someone with a lot of time on their hands could summon a lvl 29 pet and test on the 2min spawn hermit in Sk

DMN
02-19-2020, 08:50 AM
Easiest way would be to get 2 same level/type pets. Give one a full set of banded. Then have them fight. pull them apart if the non armor one is about to win. It should only take a few fghts to show a significant difference. if there is none noticed in handful of fights, 99% chance it does nothing to very little.

RipVanFish
02-19-2020, 09:56 AM
Easiest way would be to get 2 same level/type pets. Give one a full set of banded. Then have them fight. pull them apart if the non armor one is about to win. It should only take a few fghts to show a significant difference. if there is none noticed in handful of fights, 99% chance it does nothing to very little.

This is an excellent idea, I’m gonna ask a guild mate to do this with me lol.

Tecmos Deception
02-19-2020, 10:09 AM
This was previously tested on Blue. Assuming Green is like Blue regarding Pet equips then two rings can be given to a pet.

https://www.project1999.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1442744&postcount=29

--> Credit for discovery on p99 - Tecmos (2014)

:D

I haven't tested it again lately, to be fair, but I don't think it was ever a mentioned change if it has changed. I assume pets will take two earrings and bracers, just like with rings, as well; but again, I haven't tested those.

I've never tested whether things like worn AC (let alone strength or dex) affect pets. Have seen plenty of people claim it does, nobody prove it doesn't, but haven't tested or seen any tests that I can recall where someone parsed a pet taking damage for an extended period. Wouldn't be hard to throw a mage pet (and a charmed pet, they could be different) at a mob and let it take hits for 15 minutes while a friendly cleric keeps healing, then repeat after giving the mob a full set of banded or something to see if the damage taken is different. I guess DMN's idea could work too, but it seems like too short of a test to notice a 5% or even 10% difference given p99 RNG. Even 10 minutes of parsing seems likely to establish whether there is a difference, though it'd really be a pain to test how much of a difference AC gives by slowly adding more and more AC to a pet each test.

Ligma
02-19-2020, 12:54 PM
Way back in the day I saw a screenshot of an epic pet that bugged out and left a corpse. It was pre equiped with armor. Most likely the AC does next to nothing.