PDA

View Full Version : What’s the craziest thing you’ve done because of EQ?

Smellybuttface
02-18-2020, 01:08 PM
I’m curious what lengths people have gone to for this game. From /listing for items upwards of 100 hours, or back in the day carrying a beeper for dragon spawn notices, this game has caused folks to do some pretty crazy things.
I have a friend who camped Aqua Goblins for plat for I think it was 3 days straight. Not as crazy as some /lists, but still pretty nuts.

For me, I played EQ in 2000 when I was in high school. I remember I faked a story about some family matter to get out of going to a wrestling tournament over a 3 day weekend so I could play EQ instead lol. For those in the know, I even did a wrestle off against 3 different people to guarantee my spot at my weight class for the tournament, and then I decided not to go but to play EQ instead =).

So what craziness has the game led you too? Have you pooped in a sock, or know someone who has?! Passed out from physical exhaustion playing for days??
Tells us your darkest secrets!

RipVanFish
02-18-2020, 01:13 PM
This topic will range from amusing to downright depressing if everyone answered honestly. Some people have very real issues with this game, life in general or both around here.

alkalinesky
02-18-2020, 01:31 PM
I just camped the jBoots for 22 hours straight and that will go down as the craziest thing I've done and ever will do for this game. I mean, it's straight up lunacy how long some of us spend in this space. I love it but when it starts to impact my diet, my workout routine and my sleep, I'm putting it on the back burner.

This game is scary addictive!

red_demonman
02-18-2020, 01:42 PM
All night raid (don't even remember where) and time slipped away from me, until I heard the bus honking outside because it was time to go to school. My mom was NOT happy that she had to drive me after I missed the bus.

eqravenprince
02-18-2020, 02:56 PM
I got up at 3 am to kill hadden which I think is pretty fucking crazy. Pretty tame compared to others I am sure.

Octopath
02-18-2020, 03:13 PM
52 hours at manastone

Frankenbeanz
02-18-2020, 03:29 PM
like 16 years ago? got sick while raiding and waited until the raid was over to go to the hospital, turned out my appendix burst

acaron1013
02-18-2020, 03:39 PM
As a 12 year old in middle school during live I used to set my alarm every night for about 1:00AM so I could stay up until about 5:30 playing, then go back to bed for an hour before school.

Bigsham
02-18-2020, 04:39 PM
i stole an earthshaker and sold it for 650$ western union then bought weed

jackd104
02-18-2020, 04:50 PM
It’s not kind to ask the mentally ill about the depths of their handicap.

cd288
02-18-2020, 05:01 PM
i stole an earthshaker and sold it for 650$ western union then bought weed

You sound like a good person

pirate23
02-18-2020, 05:56 PM
Hadden camp on live i would say. At one point in the early 2000's, i had over 1 year of play time on my warrior.

sedrie.bellamie
02-18-2020, 08:02 PM
camping frezny on blue, inbetween spawns i drove to work and went back to farming frenzy while at work

NPC
02-18-2020, 08:22 PM
On live, my 1st raid ever, 12+ hour Vox raid that wiped like 8 times. After the 4th-5th wipe I kept falling asleep. I woke up after everyone had left like the next day.

El-Hefe
02-18-2020, 08:45 PM
Regularly read these forums.

mzl0011
02-18-2020, 08:50 PM
After reading these....I should be ashamed of myself; I am not however.

Wallicker
02-18-2020, 09:01 PM
Failed out of college, divorced my wife and lost career at high paying job in search of 20yr old elf pixels.

Doktoor
02-18-2020, 09:02 PM
I got laid off from my primary job in 2000 and got a 3.5 month wage severance/vacation time pay out.

I was burned out from working two jobs and night classes so I decided to take 3 months off work and a quarter off of college and play EQ 18 hrs a day.

That 3 months turned into about a year. I first went back to college full time and then a few months later, got a job.

I still ended up finishing my undergrad degree and going to med school, but I still look back at that year fondly. I had such a great time.

waltjig
02-18-2020, 09:10 PM
These are some weak ass stories. You losers are either lying or need to step it the fuck up.

Smellybuttface
02-18-2020, 09:29 PM
These are some weak ass stories. You losers are either lying or need to step it the fuck up.

What?! These are some pretty damn good ones.

Burst appendix is nuts. RMT’ing an item for $650. 12-year old getting like 4 hours of sleep a night to play (I doubt I could have even functioned in junior high on that much sleep each night). Taking a year off to play EQ lol (glad you finished your degree, but I can’t believe you didn’t get burned out on the game over a solid year).

I love hearing about people doing the Manastone camp completely solo. One guy did 100+ hours, and SOMEHOW was able to take short 5-10 minute “power naps” in between afk checks. FOUR DAYS STRAIGHT camping an item non-stop. He said at one point he started sitting on a wooden box to be as uncomfortable as possible to not pass out.

I guarantee someone out there has shit themselves playing the game. Probably a main tank on a hardcore raid or something. I still have hope for finding this individual.

Doktoor
02-18-2020, 09:39 PM
What?! These are some pretty damn good ones.

Burst appendix is nuts. RMT’ing an item for $650. 12-year old getting like 4 hours of sleep a night to play (I doubt I could have even functioned in junior high on that much sleep each night). Taking a year off to play EQ lol (glad you finished your degree, but I can’t believe you didn’t get burned out on the game over a solid year).

I guarantee someone out there has shit themselves playing the game. Probably a main tank on a hardcore raid or something. I still have hope for finding this individual.

I played on Vallon Zek so you could spend days on end just pvping.

About 10 years ago, I had a patient who said that he once shit himself for 3 days straight in a foxhole during the Vietnam war, afraid to move, pinned down by enemy machine guns and that that was actually a common thing to do to avoid getting shot.

Every time I see the term “poopsock, I think of that guy shitting himself in the Vietnamese jungle.

Philistine
02-18-2020, 10:48 PM
On live I just did the normal neglecting of family and friends and (very annoying) high school girlfriend...:-/

Madbad
02-18-2020, 11:09 PM
logged in

Siege
02-18-2020, 11:26 PM
Failed out of college, divorced my wife and lost career at high paying job in search of 20yr old elf pixels.

That sounds like a success story to me. You could have ended up being a pussy-whipped wagecuck with student loan debt that would have hung from your neck like a millstone for a couple decades.

Budder
02-18-2020, 11:34 PM
Did a Vox raid in 2000 while getting really drunk. Needless to say I passed out dead in her lair. Guild left me because I wouldn’t wake up. Woke up next day and logged into the game seeming my naked char. Didn’t remember shit. Ended up giving a guild mate my password and log in so he could get me out. Good times!

Natewest1987
02-19-2020, 12:52 AM
I need to know if pooping in a sock is a real thing

Asteria
02-19-2020, 12:55 AM
Craziest thing ever - posted here on the forums and read them - and engaged w some of the most immersed residents. :eek:

Somekid123
02-19-2020, 01:13 AM
Was 14 or something, begged my dad to let me skip school the following day because we were going to raid rallos zek in PoP and it likely wouldnt happen again because were neuts (tides of wrath) and i needed to hail the mob at the end to flag for PoElementals or whatever it was at the time. Definately on the more tame side od things but it was worth it!

Master Roshi
02-19-2020, 05:04 AM
passed on a guaranteed piece of tail in highschool cause I was the only SK on a hate raid and I wanted a DarkMetal Falchion, which didn't drop.

Smellybuttface
02-19-2020, 08:05 AM
passed on a guaranteed piece of tail in highschool cause I was the only SK on a hate raid and I wanted a DarkMetal Falchion, which didn't drop.

Lol. Pixels >> Women

I need to know if pooping in a sock is a real thing

I’ve always thought it didn’t make sense. Pants are for pooping. A sock has a use...but a much different one....

Smellybuttface
02-19-2020, 08:09 AM
I played on Vallon Zek so you could spend days on end just pvping.

About 10 years ago, I had a patient who said that he once shit himself for 3 days straight in a foxhole during the Vietnam war, afraid to move, pinned down by enemy machine guns and that that was actually a common thing to do to avoid getting shot.

Every time I see the term “poopsock, I think of that guy shitting himself in the Vietnamese jungle.

Jesus. Having pants filled to the brim with feces, but then just having to wallow in it in a tropical environment with flys and various insects probably huddled en masse around your drawers. Oh, and gunfire.

Reminds me a bit of this story recently about a guy that walked across part of Antarctica:

“ 1st person to cross Antarctica alone pooped his pants halfway through”

https://www.msn.com/en-us/weather/video/1st-person-to-cross-antarctica-alone-pooped-his-pants-halfway-through/vp-BB1002mA

Thrombosis
02-19-2020, 08:47 AM
Was 14 or something, begged my dad to let me skip school the following day because we were going to raid rallos zek in PoP and it likely wouldnt happen again because were neuts (tides of wrath) and i needed to hail the mob at the end to flag for PoElementals or whatever it was at the time. Definately on the more tame side od things but it was worth it!

Your Dad actually let you skip school for EQ? That's awesome :D

Nothing too exciting here, suppose taking a week's holiday off work when an expansion got released counts. I did raid Planes of Air and Earth until 5am on a work day too, totally worth it as it got me Time-keyed. Couldn't do that now though.

sycopata666
02-19-2020, 10:10 AM
I got sex with my ex girldfriend in mid of a raid just in the pc chair. I feel bad now, about this.
Also falled sleep in mid of plane of fear raid and wake up in the morning in mid of plane, i have created my big train ever ,to leave the plane, i zoned out the plane with just a hit to die

cd288
02-19-2020, 10:53 AM
Jesus. Having pants filled to the brim with feces, but then just having to wallow in it in a tropical environment with flys and various insects probably huddled en masse around your drawers. Oh, and gunfire.

Reminds me a bit of this story recently about a guy that walked across part of Antarctica:

“ 1st person to cross Antarctica alone pooped his pants halfway through”

https://www.msn.com/en-us/weather/video/1st-person-to-cross-antarctica-alone-pooped-his-pants-halfway-through/vp-BB1002mA

Well I'd imagine by "shit himself" they meant he pooped in the foxhole but no way to wipe. So you still probably have a super gross situation where you're basically in a small whole with 3 loads of your feces, but it's probably not in your pants. Even in a foxhole you can pull your pants down to your thighs.

Tuurin
02-19-2020, 02:08 PM
My college roommate got busted by his gf doing some EQ ERP. They were arguing she was calling him all kinds of names etc. so after she took off I asked him what happened and he told me lol. Said he was fapping with some elf chick and his gf woke up and saw him rofl. He then showed me the text and it was funny as fuck.

IDK he was a weird rm tho. Was into that shit and gave a bunch of lewts away to these eq skanks. I told him it was probably a bunch of dudes from our guild that were just scamming him but he said he didn't care lol. Loved the Luclin models- said the HIE cat/plate suits were his fav. That dude was crazy.

charmcitysking
02-19-2020, 02:18 PM
Passed on sex just last night to get level 4 on my new enchanter.

Then realized (after reading the forums) I should have put 5 starting points into agility and the rest in CHA (I did 25int and 5cha). So I deleted the character so I could keep the name and get the correct starting base stats.

Will likely skip sex again tonight to get to level 4 again. Will confirm tomorrow.

Wallicker
02-19-2020, 02:23 PM
Why would you put 5 points into AGI? Even if erudite you will get a passive 5 AGI from gear eventually.

sycopata666
02-19-2020, 02:28 PM
Why would you put 5 points into AGI? Even if erudite you will get a passive 5 AGI from gear eventually.

You non wear armor in a CR

Wallicker
02-19-2020, 02:37 PM
You non wear armor in a CR

With runes/beserker line/invis/Ivu/self cha buff/root/pacify/charm/summoned pet you shouldn’t be worried about the effects of 5agi below cap on a naked CR but rather just getting your corpse.

azeth
02-19-2020, 02:48 PM
Wife went on a few-day trip with her sister the day Velious released, so I was on my own for food etc. I went and bought 3 gigantic t bone steaks (b/c treat yo'self), got home and prepared for a marathon session.

Turned out, about 35 hours after Velious release, I had never put the steaks in the refrigerator... so there sat about $85 worth of room temp/hot rotting steak.

charmcitysking
02-19-2020, 03:08 PM

Is this the sever consensus? Yeah he’s an Eurdite..

at this rate I might not get laid till next week

Graventhel
02-19-2020, 03:13 PM
Played live from just about launch 1999 until 2004 when WoW entered the scene. I did the usual stuff, long camps, raids, druid epic, but the craziest thing I did was the jboot camp back in November.

I set aside an entire night, knowing full well what I was getting into. Told the missus I'd be gaming until the wee hours of the morn, but that I would be good to go helping her sister move early afternoon the next day. At 9 pm I join the list at #8. The evening goes fairly well, we see three boots drop so the list is moving, and I managed to squeeze in a prison workout in my office to help stave off the drowsiness. At about 3 am, for whatever reason, my modem decided to takes a dump on me so I switch to my phone's mobile hotspot. The modem reset fast enough but I thought, "Why risk it?" and decided to stay on cell network for the duration. No more drops that evening, but 3 people couldn't hack it and left the list.

The time is now 9 am and I am #2 on the list. I've been at my current position for 3 hours. I'm getting pretty nervous because if we don't see some drops soon I am going to have to bail to attend to the day's obligations. Noon rolls around and my wife is ready to head out to her sister's place, but I manage to convince her that I can just meet her there. Just a quick shower, and if the boots don't drop by the time I am ready to go, that will be the end of it. She reluctantly agrees and hope is kept alive. I get freshened up and just as I was ready to go, a pair dropped...and I am now #1 on the list. I...I can't leave at the top, but I also can't stay, which brings us to phase 2 of this adventure.

Already being on my mobile hotspot, I decide the best thing to do is take my operation mobile. Due to the nature of my work, I game from a laptop, so as long as my connection is solid this should work. My rig is a bit of a power hog, as I bought it to run some of my VR titles, so it has two bricks. I have one of those heavy duty battery packs in my truck used to jumpstart cars but also has AC outlets, so I thought I would be good to get to my next destination that was about 20 miles away. Once underway I realized, to my horror, that the power supply was insufficient and that I was running purely on battery. The good news was that according to GPS, I had just enough time to make it to my destination...that is until my wife texted that they were going to the new place and to meet them there. I was stranded out in the field, too far to turn back, but not close enough to the objective. I managed to get off the freeway and make it to a local eatery. It was a cold and rainy day, but fortunately it had let up a bit and I managed to jack-in to an exterior outlet they had near a table on their front patio. Once I got the situation stabilized, I was able to shift some power management options and recharge enough juice to make it to my sister-in-law's. After arriving I helped them unload their truck for the next few hours as I assisted my group kill PH's, and thanked them for understanding my semi-afk status. Enter phase 3.

I had yet another obligation that day, a family get together about 30 miles from my current location. The boots refused to drop, and yet again I was forced to hit the road. Thus far I had been able to avoid PH spawns while in transit, but this time it would be unavoidable. To make matters worse I was going to have to pass through a tunnel, and the timing lined up perfectly with a Drelzna spawn. I decided to play it safe, stopped for fuel, and waited...PH, of course. Surprisingly I passed through the tunnel while maintaining connection, and only had to pull over one additional time for another PH. My second destination was safely reached, and I had to explain to my brother (a D&D player from the early 80's so he kinda understood) what it was I was doing setting up shop in his office. After about 2 hours at his place, in between mingling with family and helping my group kill PH's, my boots finally drop at 10 pm. My epic camp tale ends at 25 hours, and after 36 years of gaming I've never felt so satisfied by a virtual accomplishment.

Pootytangx
02-19-2020, 03:42 PM
I started playing around 16ish and I always thought wood elf girls were so hot. I remember one night for whatever reason I rolled a wood elf Druid chick and ran around Kelethin naked. I swiped a pair of my moms panties from the laundry room and put them on and jerked off to my character.

21 years later I discovered P99 and was having a blast but seeing all these wood elf chicks brought back memories. During Christmas the family gathered at my sisters house where I pilfered a pair of her panties. Later that night I created a wood elf female chick with the blonde hair and went for a stroll around kelethin wearing the panties. It didn’t really do it for me though. Not sure if it is because the graphics are so outdated or the fact that my sisters fat ass panties are so big it’s hard to imagine them being a petite wood elf pair.

But yeah anyway in 36 years of gaming the craziest thing I ever done was camp manastone for 4 days straight.....

Evia
02-19-2020, 03:44 PM

No I’d put 5 into agi as erudite.

cd288
02-19-2020, 04:30 PM
Played live from just about launch 1999 until 2004 when WoW entered the scene. I did the usual stuff, long camps, raids, druid epic, but the craziest thing I did was the jboot camp back in November.

I set aside an entire night, knowing full well what I was getting into. Told the missus I'd be gaming until the wee hours of the morn, but that I would be good to go helping her sister move early afternoon the next day. At 9 pm I join the list at #8. The evening goes fairly well, we see three boots drop so the list is moving, and I managed to squeeze in a prison workout in my office to help stave off the drowsiness. At about 3 am, for whatever reason, my modem decided to takes a dump on me so I switch to my phone's mobile hotspot. The modem reset fast enough but I thought, "Why risk it?" and decided to stay on cell network for the duration. No more drops that evening, but 3 people couldn't hack it and left the list.

The time is now 9 am and I am #2 on the list. I've been at my current position for 3 hours. I'm getting pretty nervous because if we don't see some drops soon I am going to have to bail to attend to the day's obligations. Noon rolls around and my wife is ready to head out to her sister's place, but I manage to convince her that I can just meet her there. Just a quick shower, and if the boots don't drop by the time I am ready to go, that will be the end of it. She reluctantly agrees and hope is kept alive. I get freshened up and just as I was ready to go, a pair dropped...and I am now #1 on the list. I...I can't leave at the top, but I also can't stay, which brings us to phase 2 of this adventure.

Already being on my mobile hotspot, I decide the best thing to do is take my operation mobile. Due to the nature of my work, I game from a laptop, so as long as my connection is solid this should work. My rig is a bit of a power hog, as I bought it to run some of my VR titles, so it has two bricks. I have one of those heavy duty battery packs in my truck used to jumpstart cars but also has AC outlets, so I thought I would be good to get to my next destination that was about 20 miles away. Once underway I realized, to my horror, that the power supply was insufficient and that I was running purely on battery. The good news was that according to GPS, I had just enough time to make it to my destination...that is until my wife texted that they were going to the new place and to meet them there. I was stranded out in the field, too far to turn back, but not close enough to the objective. I managed to get off the freeway and make it to a local eatery. It was a cold and rainy day, but fortunately it had let up a bit and I managed to jack-in to an exterior outlet they had near a table on their front patio. Once I got the situation stabilized, I was able to shift some power management options and recharge enough juice to make it to my sister-in-law's. After arriving I helped them unload their truck for the next few hours as I assisted my group kill PH's, and thanked them for understanding my semi-afk status. Enter phase 3.

I had yet another obligation that day, a family get together about 30 miles from my current location. The boots refused to drop, and yet again I was forced to hit the road. Thus far I had been able to avoid PH spawns while in transit, but this time it would be unavoidable. To make matters worse I was going to have to pass through a tunnel, and the timing lined up perfectly with a Drelzna spawn. I decided to play it safe, stopped for fuel, and waited...PH, of course. Surprisingly I passed through the tunnel while maintaining connection, and only had to pull over one additional time for another PH. My second destination was safely reached, and I had to explain to my brother (a D&D player from the early 80's so he kinda understood) what it was I was doing setting up shop in his office. After about 2 hours at his place, in between mingling with family and helping my group kill PH's, my boots finally drop at 10 pm. My epic camp tale ends at 25 hours, and after 36 years of gaming I've never felt so satisfied by a virtual accomplishment.

This is the best story in the thread

fadetree
02-19-2020, 05:19 PM

You seem to have an unusually hawt sex life for somebody playing a TYOES (20 yr old elf sim). How is it you get to turn down sex for multiple nights in a row? Are you merely bragging? You did mean with someone else, right? or?

Asteria
02-19-2020, 05:24 PM

Is streaming getting boring? :confused:

Arrowleaf
02-19-2020, 06:17 PM
I started playing around 16ish and I always thought wood elf girls were so hot. I remember one night for whatever reason I rolled a wood elf Druid chick and ran around Kelethin naked. I swiped a pair of my moms panties from the laundry room and put them on and jerked off to my character.

21 years later I discovered P99 and was having a blast but seeing all these wood elf chicks brought back memories. During Christmas the family gathered at my sisters house where I pilfered a pair of her panties. Later that night I created a wood elf female chick with the blonde hair and went for a stroll around kelethin wearing the panties. It didn’t really do it for me though. Not sure if it is because the graphics are so outdated or the fact that my sisters fat ass panties are so big it’s hard to imagine them being a petite wood elf pair.

But yeah anyway in 36 years of gaming the craziest thing I ever done was camp manastone for 4 days straight.....

Dude.......WTF?

charmcitysking
02-19-2020, 07:03 PM
You seem to have an unusually hawt sex life for somebody playing a TYOES (20 yr old elf sim). How is it you get to turn down sex for multiple nights in a row? Are you merely bragging? You did mean with someone else, right? or?

Well I’ve only been playing for about a week. Give me a bit more time on this TYEOS and I reckon there won’t be much of a sex life left to report on :o

Smellybuttface
02-19-2020, 08:14 PM
This is the best story in the thread

Agreed. Those are some freaking incredible lengths to get a pair of Jboots. I can’t believe it actually worked though. I’m both impressed, and slightly ashamed because I don’t think I’d have been able to pull that off. Hopefully you told your wife the story and she proceeded to mock you mercilessly lol. Good read!

I started playing around 16ish and I always thought wood elf girls were so hot. I remember one night for whatever reason I rolled a wood elf Druid chick and ran around Kelethin naked. I swiped a pair of my moms panties from the laundry room and put them on and jerked off to my character..

<vomits violently in trash can>

Will likely skip sex again tonight to get to level 4 again. Will confirm tomorrow.

Lol. My friend, you need to either learn how to have sex faster, or how to level faster. How long is it taking you to get to level 4?!

Graventhel
02-19-2020, 10:46 PM
Agreed. Those are some freaking incredible lengths to get a pair of Jboots. I can’t believe it actually worked though. I’m both impressed, and slightly ashamed because I don’t think I’d have been able to pull that off. Hopefully you told your wife the story and she proceeded to mock you mercilessly lol. Good read!

I met her back in 2003 at the twilight of my EQ career, but before my WoW one took off, so she is no stranger to my hobby. It was much more amusing telling my old EQ buds who refuse to try Green the story.

Madbad
02-19-2020, 10:51 PM

Which one of you fuckers just posted this gem on a throwaway account?

Wallicker
02-20-2020, 08:15 AM
Which one of you fuckers just posted this gem on a throwaway account?

Philistine
02-20-2020, 11:33 AM
but the craziest thing I did was the jboot camp back in November.

Awesome story lol. I hope you didn't lose too much wife faction completing your quest :p

Asteria
02-20-2020, 01:33 PM
Awesome story lol. I hope you didn't lose too much wife faction completing your quest :p

Gracenthel is winning the thread so far.

Philistine
02-20-2020, 11:42 PM
I 100% concur, lol

Sunderfury
02-21-2020, 12:05 AM
Not going to be the crown jewel in this thread or anything, but I must have been 19 at the time and had been in a guild up and coming into their own. Major stuff was happening and I was on the cusp of being a major player in our raid scene and had ambitions of getting that phat lewt.

We wiped on some trash in CoM and I went on a teenage rant about how everyone sucked and this isn't going to cut it and no one deserved to lick my boot and whatever else I could think of to try and "motivate" them.

Well the guild leader kicked me right there and I was crushed. He laid into me good and all my dreams of raid pixels were instantly obliterated.

I actually cried IRL and I remember looking over and seeing my face in the closet mirror and thinking how pathetic I was that I am crying over a video game. So yea, crying over this game is the craziest thing I've ever done in the name of Norrath.

Philistine
02-21-2020, 02:39 AM
Wife went on a few-day trip with her sister the day Velious released, so I was on my own for food etc. I went and bought 3 gigantic t bone steaks (b/c treat yo'self), got home and prepared for a marathon session.

Turned out, about 35 hours after Velious release, I had never put the steaks in the refrigerator... so there sat about $85 worth of room temp/hot rotting steak.

This is amazing too lol. I love that they didn't even make it to the refrigerator. "Lemme just boot up and zone into Velious real quick " is how I suspect that thought process went, lol

Smellybuttface
02-21-2020, 07:22 AM
I actually cried IRL and I remember looking over and seeing my face in the closet mirror and thinking how pathetic I was that I am crying over a video game. So yea, crying over this game is the craziest thing I've ever done in the name of Norrath.

MMO’s have a way of getting in your head unlike any other game. I mean you have to think of all the people you interacted with in your guild on a regular basis, and instantaneously you lose all those possible friends and folks you’ve grouped with. Depends on how immersed you are in the game, but I remember I used to play Elder Scrolls Online pretty devoutly years ago and was in a guild with quite a few folks I talked to and interacted with daily. I never got booted, but when I stopped playing I remember a feeling of loss since I’d suddenly been divested of all these folks that I knew fairly well.

It’s all basically a more immersive form of social media. I know plenty of people who would probably have the exact same reaction if someone removed them from Facebook suddenly.

Thulghor
02-21-2020, 08:35 AM
Back in 2001 or so, I met a woman on Everquest (Brell Serilis server) and we hit it off. I was enlisted in the Marines at the time, and like a dumb and young Marine Lance Corporal, I took leave and flew to California for a few days to visit her. Amusingly, she wasn't kidding about being a hot model (she was stunning), but she also ended up being really freaking crazy in person. Like really crazy. Our fling didn't last very long, and looking back all these years later, I can barely believe that I did something so dumb and impulsive. It was fun while it lasted though. I blame Everquest. :-P

cd288
02-21-2020, 10:57 AM
Not going to be the crown jewel in this thread or anything, but I must have been 19 at the time and had been in a guild up and coming into their own. Major stuff was happening and I was on the cusp of being a major player in our raid scene and had ambitions of getting that phat lewt.

We wiped on some trash in CoM and I went on a teenage rant about how everyone sucked and this isn't going to cut it and no one deserved to lick my boot and whatever else I could think of to try and "motivate" them.

Well the guild leader kicked me right there and I was crushed. He laid into me good and all my dreams of raid pixels were instantly obliterated.

F

Cen
02-21-2020, 04:34 PM
The craziest thing ive done because of EQ was evolve aliases from it. I randomed a character named Tonax on Rallos Zek server.

I made an alt saying I liked the nax somehow made Senax.

On Diablo 2 Senax was taken so I made Cenax. I said I like how that looked better so started using it.

Eventually a wrestler named John Cena became popular and everyone kept asking me John Cena questions and thinking I was a fan and all the jokes fell flat with me I stuck to just Cen.

As more people asked the meaning instead of the long explanation I just said the phonetics and said it stands for Charlie Echo November. When I started doing pornography and one guy told me to use a less boring name then my own I went with Charles November. This all happened because of EQ

cd288
02-21-2020, 04:42 PM
As more people asked the meaning instead of the long explanation I just said the phonetics and said it stands for Charlie Echo November. When I started doing pornography and one guy told me to use a less boring name then my own I went with Charles November. This all happened because of EQ

Lol wait what

Thulghor
02-21-2020, 06:29 PM
You're Charles November? No fucking way.

ldgo86
02-21-2020, 08:39 PM
Lol wait what

BlackBellamy
02-21-2020, 09:15 PM
This all happened because of EQ

Did you say it out loud? "I like how that looks?"

Tethler
02-21-2020, 10:27 PM
In 2001 a buddy of mine owned a LAN/coffee shop. Spent a lot of time there playing for free and getting free coffee. Two of us went on a 3-day stretch once where we didn't leave the place. Playing EQ, taking turns crashing on his office couch and ordering pizzas.

Compared to some others here, it's not too crazy, but man those were good times. Sometimes I wish I was 19 again with no responsibilities.

I'm still waiting for the p99'er that forgot their kid in the car in summer and left them to die to go answer their batphone. You have to know someone here has had a close call at least.

Jibartik
02-21-2020, 10:46 PM

All that in 2 years? :o

Edit:

You're Charles November? No fucking way.

What's Charles November?

Jibartik
02-21-2020, 10:51 PM

OMG I totally cried IRL because of EQ when I was 19 too! I felt so pathetic I was like what the hell is wrong with me I am crying over a video game?? :(

This thread is so great!

Tethler
02-21-2020, 10:54 PM
OMG I totally cried IRL because of EQ when I was 19 too! I felt so pathetic I was like what the hell is wrong with me I am crying over a video game?? :(

This thread is so great!

Where you been?! Haven't seen you post in a while.

Smellybuttface
02-21-2020, 10:55 PM
In 2001 a buddy of mine owned a LAN/coffee shop. Spent a lot of time there playing for free and getting free coffee. Two of us went on a 3-day stretch once where we didn't leave the place. Playing EQ, taking turns crashing on his office couch and ordering pizzas.

Compared to some others here, it's not too crazy, but man those were good times. Sometimes I wish I was 19 again with no responsibilities.

I'm still waiting for the p99'er that forgot their kid in the car in summer and left them to die to go answer their batphone. You have to know someone here has had a close call at least.

I remember hearing horror stories of parents playing EQ while they had their kid in the bath....pretty awful shit. I don’t think we’d ever hear from folks like that. And I hope to god they never touched EQ again if any of those stories were actually true.

I would love to hear from someone who actually met their spouse on EQ. I remember talking in guild chat in a few different games in years past, and there would always be two guild members “dating” lol. Don’t know how the hell that worked, that were. Ever geographically close to one another, but they would take every opportunity to hold themselves out as a “couple.” I do recall people getting married in-game in EQ, but I think it was just a virtual thing. Like they’d take on the same surname, but I don’t think it was ever a really relationship. Fairly bizarre shit.

Tethler
02-21-2020, 11:11 PM
I would love to hear from someone who actually met their spouse on EQ. I remember talking in guild chat in a few different games in years past, and there would always be two guild members “dating” lol. Don’t know how the hell that worked, that were. Ever geographically close to one another, but they would take every opportunity to hold themselves out as a “couple.” I do recall people getting married in-game in EQ, but I think it was just a virtual thing. Like they’d take on the same surname, but I don’t think it was ever a really relationship. Fairly bizarre shit.

I met my ex-wife in EQ. Were in same guild together for a long time. She came from Michigan to Oregon to meet me. Moved out to Oregon a few months later. We had a good solid 10 years, but we both changed for various reasons and ended up divorcing a few years ago.

Just remarried in 2019 (to a non-gamer).

Asteria
02-22-2020, 12:25 AM

This thread is so great!

Thank you all for sharing! This is really a good thread!! :)

Smellybuttface
02-22-2020, 01:36 AM
I met my ex-wife in EQ. Were in same guild together for a long time. She came from Michigan to Oregon to meet me. Moved out to Oregon a few months later. We had a good solid 10 years, but we both changed for various reasons and ended up divorcing a few years ago.

10 years is a pretty solid amount of time, especially having met each other virtually. Did you guys talk mostly in text or was it over voice chat (though voice chat programs were fairly unheard of back in the day). 2 friends and I used to do a 3-way conf call and play the game for hours with phones crooked into our necks.

Congrats on the recent nuptials!

Tethler
02-22-2020, 04:52 AM
10 years is a pretty solid amount of time, especially having met each other virtually. Did you guys talk mostly in text or was it over voice chat (though voice chat programs were fairly unheard of back in the day). 2 friends and I used to do a 3-way conf call and play the game for hours with phones crooked into our necks.

Congrats on the recent nuptials!

I didn't even own a cell phone back in those days. I lived in a shitty area that hadn't even been wired for cable internet, so I was on dialup at first, so I'd have to go buy a long distance phone card from the convenience store if we wanted to talk (thinking back on this, good lord lol). We talked a lot in text and on Teamspeak after I moved to civilization and got cable internet.

Zeboim
02-22-2020, 05:00 AM
One time back in live my buddy was debating on if he wanted to stay or quit.

So I offered him $100 for all his stuff. He took it.

Got a FBSS out of that deal.

Feracitus
02-22-2020, 10:27 AM
Grandma's on ICU right now, so i'm letting go of my treants camp to go see her.

Jibartik
02-22-2020, 12:45 PM
Where you been?! Haven't seen you post in a while.

Hi tethler! I just took some time off from gaming because work got real busy and so I was just preoccupied.

I almost quit life and moved to the mountains to play green though instead, which would have been the craziest thing I've ever done because of EQ but, instead I chose to just be normal :p

edit: not to insinuate that EQ is gaming and not life but you know what I mean hehe

edit edit: Thank you all for sharing! This is really a good thread!! :)

Haha I forgot to tell you guys why I cried, it's even more embarrassing. I deleted a +7 charisma torch I looted in lavastorm on my level 11 necro.

It was my most prized possession.

Crying over a Charisma item on a necro...

Whats next maxing wisdom on startup? Hail if you remember that blunder :smacksforhead:

Smellybuttface
02-22-2020, 02:10 PM
One time back in live my buddy was debating on if he wanted to stay or quit.

So I offered him $100 for all his stuff. He took it.

Got a FBSS out of that deal.

I took a break from the game for a little while, so I let a friend borrow my gear. I had some pretty high end stuff - Iksar Ceremonial, two Lamentations, FBSS, etc. (non-raid gear, but pretty valuable items at the time). He tried to transfer those items to another character by doing the ol’ “ground drop” method. Of course his internet goes out, the items disappeared, standard fare. He was really apologetic, and there wasn’t anything to be done about it. It was many hours of TunnelQuesting to get a lot of that stuff, but c’est la vie.

I came back to the game and had a completely naked Ranger. I actually petitioned a GM and they gave me some sort of “starter set” of gear out of pity lol.

ISP’s were such dogshit back in the day. I’d constantly be zoning and randomly get booted, only to come back to my corpse on the other side of the zone. Good times!

Asteria
02-22-2020, 04:25 PM
I took a break from the game for a little while, so I let a friend borrow my gear. I had some pretty high end stuff - Iksar Ceremonial, two Lamentations, FBSS, etc. (non-raid gear, but pretty valuable items at the time). He tried to transfer those items to another character by doing the ol’ “ground drop” method. Of course his internet goes out, the items disappeared, standard fare. He was really apologetic, and there wasn’t anything to be done about it. It was many hours of TunnelQuesting to get a lot of that stuff, but c’est la vie.

I came back to the game and had a completely naked Ranger. I actually petitioned a GM and they gave me some sort of “starter set” of gear out of pity lol.

ISP’s were such dogshit back in the day. I’d constantly be zoning and randomly get booted, only to come back to my corpse on the other side of the zone. Good times!

Heck yeah...I feel like LDs and their consequences were such a huuuuge part of gameplay and the classic experience of EQ that will never be replicated. It was like a critical luck fail on the RNG for all sorts of things that can probably never be emulated with modern hardware. I actually remember grouping sometimes in 2000 - 2002 JUST to avoid LD solo deaths/lost exp/lost time. :)

Frug
02-22-2020, 05:09 PM
like 16 years ago? got sick while raiding and waited until the raid was over to go to the hospital, turned out my appendix burst

winner.

Balimon
02-23-2020, 01:52 AM

Not exactly Everquest related, but I met my ex-wife on World of Warcraft in 2005, had a 10 year run and a kid, was totally worth it. Love that kid!

I never really did anything crazy in EQ compared to the rest of you nerds. Did a 60 hour Verina Tomb camp, but most of that was afk. In high school back in 99/00 I would take caffeine pills to stay awake all night and then sleep during school hours so I could exp late with my buds. Barely graduated!

Later on I would camp Runed bone forks every day after school for weeks, usually took 4-8 hours to get the fork and sell them for 500p (!!!) in EC, that's how I was able to buy my FBSS.

Smellybuttface
02-23-2020, 03:35 PM
I never really did anything crazy in EQ compared to the rest of you nerds. Did a 60 hour Verina Tomb camp, but most of that was afk. In high school back in 99/00 I would take caffeine pills to stay awake all night and then sleep during school hours so I could exp late with my buds. Barely graduated!

I think caffeine pills and playing all night qualifies you as a fairly high-end EQ nerd ::p

Still holding out for someone that legitimately pooped their pants.

I wonder if we’ll see /lists in Kunark, and if they’ll outdo the length of camps in Classic. I can’t see anything really being as bad as 4 day’s straight at a Manastone camp, but it’d be interesting.

It’s hard to imagine someone going beyond 4 days, but the Guinness World Record holder for not sleeping:

“Randy Gardner (born c. 1948), a high school student in San Diego, California set the record for the longest a human has gone without sleep in 1964, at the age of 17. Gardner stayed awake for 11 days and 25 minutes (264.4 hours.)”

Can you imagine if this guy was around nowadays and played EQ? He’d be a veritable god.

Balimon
02-23-2020, 05:30 PM
I think caffeine pills and playing all night qualifies you as a fairly high-end EQ nerd ::p

Still holding out for someone that legitimately pooped their pants.

No doubt about it I belong here.

I think you should just poo your pants sir, so you can stop holding out.

Smellybuttface
02-23-2020, 08:29 PM
No doubt about it I belong here.

I think you should just poo your pants sir, so you can stop holding out.

Well, though it wasn’t in-game, there was a period of like 3 months (still don’t know why the hell it was happening) but I nearly pooped my pants like 5 different times.

Two of the times I was out walking my dog. Felt totally fine, then all of a sudden it was like a freight train was on its way out my ass. I barely had time to get right off the sidewalk, drop my pants and just unleash brown hell right on the ground. Worse part was a mom and her kid were walking towards me on the sidewalk, and I was desperately trying to pull my dog (he weighed about 140lbs) away from the poop. They walked by and I was all but running away. Definitely think they knew what it was; human poop fairly easy to discern from a dogs.

Another time was right before a job interview. In a full suit and tie, I dropped one in the parking lot walking in to the building. Also fairly sure the interviewers smelled something off....

So never got to the point of ‘actually’ shitting my pants, but I was about 99% of the way there. I think it might have been from pumpkin seeds I was eating during that period of time.

I think I’m more intrigued by a gamer doing it just because it shows a level of fixation on the game where they’re so invested in something going on to actually reach the point of defecating/pissing themselves.

Perhaps my dream will never be realized. On the other hand, reading the stories on this thread has been a lot of fun. Definitely some great ones on here.

Wallicker
02-23-2020, 09:01 PM
Damnit guys it’s 2020, I walk my laptop to the shitter.

solleks
02-23-2020, 10:35 PM
Accidentally chugged a mountain dew piss jug.

tankboyt
02-24-2020, 08:17 PM
Got a divorce not by my choice but worked out great in the end and I'm still playing EQ!

Smellybuttface
02-24-2020, 08:19 PM
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=HaMFveebhFw

You can actually hear him squeezing out some brown sauce.

Something is definitely up with this kid though. He sounds either super high or else just a huge goober.

ChairmanMauzer
02-24-2020, 08:56 PM
I had a couple friends skip taking their high school Advance Placement (AP) tests for college credit.

They had studied all year and payed the fee for the test but didn't go to play EQ instead.

zanderklocke
02-25-2020, 11:27 AM
I was at a concert in downtown Minneapolis with some friends and got a batphone that Maestro had popped in Hate (I wanted his lute and had been trying to get it for about 6-7 months). I made up some excuse to my friends, and I left the concert. It was raining outside, and I didn't have a car at this point in my life and used public transit to get everywhere. Google Maps told me that the next bus was 20 minutes away, and I was about a 20 minute run from home. Therefore, I decided to run home.

By the time I got home, I was drenched due to the downpour. When I logged into my computer, Maestro was just killed by my guild, and observed the "Grats so-and-so on lute!"

That was a turning point, and I realized real life moments were more valuable than EverQuest to me and that I would never put EverQuest before some important moment or event in my life. Funny enough, I was able to get the better lute from VP probably less than a year later, so that whole Maestro moment was a moot point.

Wallicker
02-25-2020, 11:41 AM
I was at a concert in downtown Minneapolis with some friends and got a batphone that Maestro had popped in Hate (I wanted his lute and had been trying to get it for about 6-7 months). I made up some excuse to my friends, and I left the concert. It was raining outside, and I didn't have a car at this point in my life and used public transit to get everywhere. Google Maps told me that the next bus was 20 minutes away, and I was about a 20 minute run from home. Therefore, I decided to run home.

By the time I got home, I was drenched due to the downpour. When I logged into my computer, Maestro was just killed by my guild, and observed the "Grats so-and-so on lute!"

That was a turning point, and I realized real life moments were more valuable than EverQuest to me and that I would never put EverQuest before some important moment or event in my life. Funny enough, I was able to get the better lute from VP probably less than a year later, so that whole Maestro moment was a moot point.

Think if your 1-mile avg run time was 2 minutes faster, this is why you should maintain a strict excercise and diet regiment outside of EQ!

Jibartik
02-26-2020, 09:28 PM

I visualized this like it was a scene in everquest the movie.

Also Soandso loot hords agian. Shame on him.