PDA

View Full Version : Necro pet with daggers

renegadeofunk
02-18-2020, 12:51 AM
Does the thing with necro pets getting faster attack speed by giving them fast weapons exist currently?

Edit: I was also wondering about pet xp, I assume you only have to do 1 dmg to get xp in this current point in time?

axisofebola
02-18-2020, 03:13 AM
No. All pets have normalized attack speed regardless of weapons given.

And on P99 you have to do more than 50% of the mobs HPs when you are solo to avoid your pet taking half the exp. When grouped you always get full exp.

Dolalin
02-18-2020, 03:22 AM
The "do one damage to get full xp" pet thing wasn't brought in until 2002. Where do people keep getting this idea from? :D

Here's a Dev Corner post by Rich Waters explaining the (then new) pet XP changes:

https://everquest.allakhazam.com/story.html?story=960

Pets had always stolen half xp solo in Classic EQ, right from launch in March 1999. Additionally they are supposed to take a share of xp in groups if they outdamage the whole group.

Vaarsuvius
02-18-2020, 06:44 AM
Does the thing with necro pets getting faster attack speed by giving them fast weapons exist currently?

Edit: I was also wondering about pet xp, I assume you only have to do 1 dmg to get xp in this current point in time?

No it does not. As some other pointed, I doubt it ever did.

But giving your pet a 2 hander (rusty scythe are cheap and very good to that regard) will make your pet hit slightly harder w/o losing any hit speed

At least it does with MAG pets

DMN
02-18-2020, 07:18 AM
No it does not. As some other pointed, I doubt it ever did.

But giving your pet a 2 hander (rusty scythe are cheap and very good to that regard) will make your pet hit slightly harder w/o losing any hit speed

At least it does with MAG pets

It never did on p99, but it worked in original classic for quite a long time before it got nerfedd. and pet damage will only go up if the weapon has better damage than your pet's base damage/

Vaarsuvius
02-18-2020, 08:58 AM
It never did on p99, but it worked in original classic for quite a long time before it got nerfedd. and pet damage will only go up if the weapon has better damage than your pet's base damage/

I was under the impression that they did on Blue.
I think I've often seen 16 water pet hit for more than what it should when I gave it a scythe or halberd, but not with (shortened) spear, or any one hander.

I will have to double check my logs

Smellybuttface
02-18-2020, 09:06 AM
I believe when pets are able to dual-wield (lvl 17 pet?) they’ll usually parse higher than with a 2-hander. Of equal quality of course (ex. fine steel swords vs. fine steel two-hander etc).

Mags proc weapons of course being the height of extremely good damage.

Does exp gained issue of pets taking exp work the same for charm pets? Do they always take half-exp, or only if you don’t do more than 50%? Can’t really see enchanters doing more than 50% though compared to a charm pet.

ldgo86
02-18-2020, 09:07 AM
If you’re a low level necro, giving your pet a halberd is a massive dps boost. Max hit is like 12 around level 8? I think. My pet was doing hitting for 20.

cd288
02-18-2020, 10:43 AM
I believe when pets are able to dual-wield (lvl 17 pet?) they’ll usually parse higher than with a 2-hander. Of equal quality of course (ex. fine steel swords vs. fine steel two-hander etc).

Mags proc weapons of course being the height of extremely good damage.

Does exp gained issue of pets taking exp work the same for charm pets? Do they always take half-exp, or only if you don’t do more than 50%? Can’t really see enchanters doing more than 50% though compared to a charm pet.

You just don't let the pet hit until you've done 50%. With root, throwing the low level DoT on, and then like two (sometimes 3 depending on level of content) of your best DD and you're usually over 50%. Then you let your pet, whether charmed or animation, go kill the mob.

It's actually tougher with the animation because if root breaks early now you're in a DPS race because you can't call the animation off. With the charmed pet you can have it back off to avoid risking losing the damage race.

Edit: Alternatively, you can use the memblur technique and clear the mob's hate list which also apparently clears the damage sources. Then you just need to do the majority of damage to the remaining health. So you could let your pet do 75% of the damage, memblur, then do the majority of the remaining needed damage. Or at least people say it works that way.

Obrae
02-18-2020, 12:20 PM
Just trow your pet with a halberd and kill 4 times as fast. Still a net gain and almost 0 downtime at low levels.

Then 50% isnt bad you’ll be 50 in no time.

Also can duo for same exp, so duo a healing class or another caster.

But even mote fun when available, 6 man groups ;)

Frug
02-19-2020, 10:18 AM
If you’re a low level necro, giving your pet a halberd is a massive dps boost. Max hit is like 12 around level 8? I think. My pet was doing hitting for 20.

Yeah, any pet class at low levels doubles their DPS with a halberd, which isn't TOTALLY rare. Surprised it hasn't been removed for "#reasons".

DMN
02-19-2020, 10:39 AM
Does anyone know if the gatorsmash works on pets in p99? I know they nerfed that giant axe or whatever to not be equipable but curious if any other high dam weapons got nerfed too.

Wallicker
02-19-2020, 10:40 AM
Pet will do Double the Dmg of the weapon equipped or their base dmg for a normal hit whichever is higher. There are some exceptions to this rule for lower lvl pets on certain weapons but items like executioner axe(pet would hit for 50) or gatorsmash maul(pet would hit for 60) should work on any pet of any level and would certainly make your pet super OP, on blue the weapons with dmg over 25 were a crapshoot on whether they were nerfed or not and I do not have a comprehensive list. Maul May or May not work.

For thinking low lvl Summoned pets(you don’t get items back) is probably have an ogre blacksmith forge a couple Ogre War Mauls 18dmg for pet hits of 36 for relatively cheap.

renegadeofunk
02-19-2020, 07:36 PM
Thanks for the replies, all. Necro pets absolutely used to have a bug where their attack speed was also changed by the weapons they were holding, but I guess that's just another thing that wasn't included even though it's classic. Ah well.

Smellybuttface
02-19-2020, 08:16 PM
Pet will do Double the Dmg of the weapon equipped or their base dmg for a normal hit whichever is higher. There are some exceptions to this rule for lower lvl pets on certain weapons but items like executioner axe(pet would hit for 50) or gatorsmash maul(pet would hit for 60) should work on any pet of any level and would certainly make your pet super OP, on blue the weapons with dmg over 25 were a crapshoot on whether they were nerfed or not and I do not have a comprehensive list. Maul May or May not work.

For thinking low lvl Summoned pets(you don’t get items back) is probably have an ogre blacksmith forge a couple Ogre War Mauls 18dmg for pet hits of 36 for relatively cheap.

So pets don’t have damage caps at certain levels? They can just start hitting for that much even at lvl 1??

Wallicker
02-19-2020, 09:09 PM
It’s weird, they would and wouldn’t depending on which weapons but on blue I had a lvl 8 summoned pet running train in crushbone hitting in the 40s lol

Frug
02-20-2020, 01:42 PM
So pets don’t have damage caps at certain levels? They can just start hitting for that much even at lvl 1??

There may be limits, but I've seen level 1 pets hit for 20-22 with the rusty halberd drops.

Rust1d?
02-20-2020, 01:45 PM
Thanks for the replies, all. Necro pets absolutely used to have a bug where their attack speed was also changed by the weapons they were holding, but I guess that's just another thing that wasn't included even though it's classic. Ah well.

Yes 100% correct. Used to give the lv 49 pet FS daggers and they would hit like a truck and super fast. People could literally clear Lguk with ease. You could send the pet on the lord and the pet would mow it down like it was a lv 20 mob. That lasted a long time before they nerfed it. Not sure why this is not in the game.

Frug
02-20-2020, 06:40 PM
Yes 100% correct. Used to give the lv 49 pet FS daggers and they would hit like a truck and super fast. People could literally clear Lguk with ease. You could send the pet on the lord and the pet would mow it down like it was a lv 20 mob. That lasted a long time before they nerfed it. Not sure why this is not in the game.

Because this server is ruled by the function: max_disadvantage_to_player(classic, GM_idea).

aka: "the neckbeard function"

Dolalin
02-21-2020, 03:25 AM
Having worked with eqemu now for a bit, I think a big problem for classic mechanics, as opposed to classic data changes in the DB, is that you're basically stuck recompiling the server for every era, then having to deploy that whole new batch of binaries to "implement" the era. It's a pretty big headache.

(Idea for the p99 devs):

This is the reason I went with a Docker approach for my little test server, since you can just build multiple docker images of the code with whatever compile time constants you want, then deploy them on the fly just by changing the image tag. Takes like 60 seconds.

If you wanna see how I do it:

https://github.com/dbsanfte/eqemu-server-docker

You can use Docker build-args to pass in compile time constants to the compiler (admittedly I haven't put these in the Dockerfile yet but it's trivial), then do something like:

docker build --build-arg era=0 -t eqemu-server:march-1999 .
docker build --build-arg era=1 -t eqemu-server:april-1999 .
docker build --build-arg era=2 -t eqemu-server:may-1999 .

Etc.

acedeathkill
02-21-2020, 05:21 AM
/offtopic reply - Oof, nice work Dolalin!

Yeah I'm using rusty halberds on my enchanter pet on green (level 15 currently) until charm becomes viable.

Imagine a hasted pet with a weighted axe (https://wiki.project1999.com/A_Weighted_Axe)... might be worth spinning up a test eqemu server just to find out :D (assuming the "no pet equip" is set in the database rather than in 20 year old c/c++ spaghetti code). Incidently, did anyone actually use that axe on Live? For pvp? For pull agro?

DMN
02-21-2020, 09:23 AM
/offtopic reply - Oof, nice work Dolalin!

Yeah I'm using rusty halberds on my enchanter pet on green (level 15 currently) until charm becomes viable.

Imagine a hasted pet with a weighted axe (https://wiki.project1999.com/A_Weighted_Axe)... might be worth spinning up a test eqemu server just to find out :D (assuming the "no pet equip" is set in the database rather than in 20 year old c/c++ spaghetti code). Incidently, did anyone actually use that axe on Live? For pvp? For pull agro?

I used it a lot on my Sk on rallos zek for either first round of combat and then switch it out or more commonly jousting in PvP.

fadetree
02-21-2020, 10:05 AM

You pretty much answered your own question.