PDA

View Full Version : What's up with the boat??

Zephire
02-14-2020, 10:01 PM
I had a shock when I saw the boat for the first time.. as it's not the one I remember from classic.

So my question is: Was this the original design? I didn't join until July 99 (Brell) which was four months after release.. so it might have changed between where we are now and the time point we're currently at on Green.

Thanks!

Kavious
02-14-2020, 10:17 PM
https://www.project1999.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14310

Zephire
02-14-2020, 10:32 PM
https://www.project1999.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14310

Thank you!

Zephire
02-15-2020, 12:21 AM
Too bad none of those links work :(

This is how I remember it <3

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E2fFbWIUUQQ

Taiku
02-15-2020, 07:02 AM
Too bad none of those links work :(

This is how I remember it <3

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E2fFbWIUUQQ

This is how I remember it as well, much nicer small boat!

Zephire
02-15-2020, 03:57 PM
This is how I remember it as well, much nicer small boat!

Which didn't clip through the dock when it pulls in LOL :D

BurtMacklinFBI
02-15-2020, 11:30 PM
What are the white sleeves mentioned in that nilbog thread for humans . Don’t think I ever saw that before

Wisteso
02-16-2020, 05:06 AM
Why would the authentic boat not work for P99? Nilbog says it's hollow and doesn't collide with the players in the client, but then how would it have even worked in retail then?

El-Hefe
02-16-2020, 05:26 AM
Why would the authentic boat not work for P99? Nilbog says it's hollow and doesn't collide with the players in the client, but then how would it have even worked in retail then?

Retail used what is essentially a entirely different game engine and used an earlier version of Direct X. Some things like night vision and boats were broken when the game engine was updated along with Shadows of Luclin. Retail simply did away with boats in favor of translocators. On p99 we are given the weird levitation solution. I would imagine the old boat with it’s smaller surface area, thinner surfaces and split level configuration would make the p99 solution to fixing boats very problematic and from a practical standpoint it just made sense to use the larger beta boat.

Zatiken
02-17-2020, 03:06 AM
I remember the original boat was pretty glitchy back in the day. Mobs would sometimes get on board during the ride and kill everyone. You could fall through the floor on the lower level or slide through the walls and be left swimming in the ocean. A lag spike could also leave you stranded in the water. From the water you could get in front of the boat and swim through to appear on the lower level. If you went linkdead on the boat, you would likely come back to find your character naked at bind point and a lost corpse that took hours to find.

DMN
02-17-2020, 09:12 AM
Ya the original boat was indeed really buggy. it wasn't rare they'd just drop you right into the ocean when zoning, and at least three different dupes were associated with using boats back in the day.

Wallicker
02-17-2020, 09:14 AM
If you are in the water and need to get on the boat in p99 just zig zag through the center mast and it will push you up onto the deck of the boat. Your welcome.

OuterChimp
02-17-2020, 10:51 AM
I remember it wasn't that uncommon to finally zone into OOT and find yourself in the water - though it was a good way to get your swimming skill up.

Wallicker
02-17-2020, 10:52 AM
I remember it wasn't that uncommon to finally zone into OOT and find yourself in the water - though it was a good way to get your swimming skill up.

Sorry you had a slow connection

Zephire
02-18-2020, 09:22 PM
Sorry you had a slow connection

lol Everyone had a slow connection back then :D

Philistine
02-18-2020, 10:42 PM
I had a shock when I saw the boat for the first time.. as it's not the one I remember from classic.

So my question is: Was this the original design? I didn't join until July 99 (Brell) which was four months after release.. so it might have changed between where we are now and the time point we're currently at on Green.

Thanks!

Good catch! I didn't even notice, and I've spent quite a bit of time onboard!