PDA

View Full Version : 2 clients on same computer?

Annona
02-13-2020, 01:51 PM
Is there a way to run two clients on one computer? I would sure like to play blue and green at the same time which is legal.

cd288
02-13-2020, 01:57 PM
Not entirely sure. If you created a virtual machine for one of them, then definitely. I thought I read something about someone being able to run two clients without a VM though back when Green first launched (they needed two completely different EQ directories though due to different patch files), but I can't recall if that's correct

DMN
02-13-2020, 02:11 PM
Why is there need to do anything other than open 2 instances of everquest? I've done it before and it should work fine. I do have to switch in and out of fullscreen mode sometimes when tabbing between them but that only takes a second. There is probably some display settings you could adjust to not have to do that but I never bothered checking it out.

cd288
02-13-2020, 02:25 PM
Why is there need to do anything other than open 2 instances of everquest? I've done it before and it should work fine. I do have to switch in and out of fullscreen mode sometimes when tabbing between them but that only takes a second. There is probably some display settings you could adjust to not have to do that but I never bothered checking it out.

Is there a specific way to start up the second instance of it? I've tried to see if it was possible before and my PC just says the executable is already running. I guess it wouldn't say that if you created a second installation directory for the other version of the executable, so the PC would consider it two different programs since they route to different directories?

Erati
02-13-2020, 02:54 PM
Is there a way to run two clients on one computer? I would sure like to play blue and green at the same time which is legal.

Just start new client up and log into the other server.

As long as you arnt logging two clients to same one, no special tricks needed.

Grimgor
02-13-2020, 02:58 PM
Is there a specific way to start up the second instance of it? I've tried to see if it was possible before and my PC just says the executable is already running. I guess it wouldn't say that if you created a second installation directory for the other version of the executable, so the PC would consider it two different programs since they route to different directories?

Not sure why it wouldn't let you start second client. Are you using the .bat file to launch Everquest? Maybe that's why? Try using a shortcut instead (remember to add patchme to end of target line for the shortchut).

uygi
02-13-2020, 03:55 PM
The one time I tried to open a 2nd client, the first one absolutely shat itself. I didn’t try a 2nd time.

Back in the early-mid 2000s, roughly when Titanium is from, running multiple clients on Live was easy. You just opened another one and they ran normally. /shrug

P.S. You may get more/better help in Technical Discussion. (https://www.project1999.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=40)

Smellybuttface
02-13-2020, 04:12 PM
Wait, does this all mean that we're going to have MORE afk people in groups on both servers as they play two log-ins?

cd288
02-13-2020, 04:46 PM
Not sure why it wouldn't let you start second client. Are you using the .bat file to launch Everquest? Maybe that's why? Try using a shortcut instead (remember to add patchme to end of target line for the shortchut).

Wouldn't your patch files be different though? I.e., if you have the Green patch files in your directory, wouldn't you need an entirely separate installation with the Blue patch files in order to play on Blue?

fadetree
02-13-2020, 04:48 PM
You need 2 complete installations for best results.

loramin
02-13-2020, 05:02 PM
Didn't EQW (now EQW2) used to be the solution to this for Windows?

I play on Linux (which let's me "2-box" just fine from the same install, just by running the executable twice), but I remember EQW solving this sort of things for Windows people in the past.

zanderklocke
02-13-2020, 05:07 PM
Just start new client up and log into the other server.

As long as you arnt logging two clients to same one, no special tricks needed.

This.

MasterCS
02-13-2020, 10:28 PM
If you want two clients, below is what I’ve found to work.

1) Rename your EQ folder
2) Run CD/ISO files and select repair
3) It will see there is no longer an Everquest folder to repair, so it will make a new installation
4) Name new folder or leave alone

You will have to create two separate short cuts, but this is the easiest way I’ve found to have two installations.

Pootle
02-14-2020, 05:09 AM
I think you can just simply copy your full EQ folder and duplicate it on your Hard Drive...

Then setup two shortcuts on your desktop, one pointing to the RunTitanium.bat in the first folder, and one pointing to file in your second folder.

Just remember to patch both folders when update patches come out.