PDA

View Full Version : 100k+ manastones right now?

Tecmos Deception
02-02-2020, 11:45 AM
Randomly looked up one of my oldest logs and saw this line on the first page:

[Mon Jun 25 21:51:56 2012] Lucroy auctions, 'WTS Manastone 115k trading straight up for CoF melee trades considered.'

Did blue have higher drop rates for manastones? Was it farmed 24/7 like it is on green? Do people value it more highly now than they did on blue? Just curious how we end up with people trying to sell for the same amount right now on green when we still have months more of manastones dropping (and likely players to use them will drop between now and Kunark, at least) as they were selling for in early/mid Kunark era on blue.

Balimon
02-02-2020, 11:47 AM
I don't get it either. Either they aren't really selling for 100k+ or maybe we just have more plat already?

Tecmos Deception
02-02-2020, 11:50 AM
or maybe we just have more plat already?

Mmmm, between the old seafury gem drops and blue's plat dupes and tradeskill exploits, I don't think that's possible even with green having a higher pop to produce plat.

turbosilk
02-02-2020, 12:14 PM
More likely working the hype to get the actual price higher than it is.

Balimon
02-02-2020, 12:14 PM
True.

Neckbeardery?

Hagglebaron
02-02-2020, 12:15 PM
Mmmm, between the old seafury gem drops and blue's plat dupes and tradeskill exploits, I don't think that's possible even with green having a higher pop to produce plat.

As someone who played Blue from year 1 through Kunark (not sure if you did or not just commenting on my own experiences) I will say I agree it's definitely not possible Green has anywhere near the same plat levels Blue did lol.

Sethius Marlowe
02-02-2020, 12:21 PM
Randomly looked up one of my oldest logs and saw this line on the first page:

[Mon Jun 25 21:51:56 2012] Lucroy auctions, 'WTS Manastone 115k trading straight up for CoF melee trades considered.'

Did blue have higher drop rates for manastones? Was it farmed 24/7 like it is on green? Do people value it more highly now than they did on blue? Just curious how we end up with people trying to sell for the same amount right now on green when we still have months more of manastones dropping (and likely players to use them will drop between now and Kunark, at least) as they were selling for in early/mid Kunark era on blue.

I'm not an economage but here is my guess don't forget to like and subscribe.

I get what you're saying and how you're thinking about it and getting perplexed. On paper it all seems wonky. I think it is definitely in high demand right now because it has the most usage potential it will ever have right now. I believe the closer we get to kunark the lower the price will drop.

If I had to guess the ones on blue were probably a lot more affordable when they were dropping, and their price has adjusted to where it should be with rarity over time. This is based off the assumption every god damn person has that if list wasn't around then people would camp it for weeks and just sell/give it to friends and guildies.

If that was happening you wouldn't really want to try to sell like 30 manastones for 100k each. I imagine that would take so long. I'd rather sell 100 manastones for 30k each. You can solo or duo the camp, and a few drop a day. So you'd be as rich as you'd ever need to be if you just did this for a week and sold off like 20 manastones. 600k? You'd never really need money ever again. Anything you'd ever buy would be relatively resellable during the era, you'd coast forever from just a week of work. So of course you'd want to sell as many as you could. And thus you'd lower your prices.

But, because you now can only get it from being on a list, it's almost completely inaccessible to 95% of the players. You have to literally not sleep. You can't just like get lucky with getting in a group there, you have to stay at a camp, attentively, for like days. You can't accidentally doze off and wake up 2 hours later and rejoin the group and have the same chances of it dropping. You can't cook food and lose track of time. You just have to be there, slowly going mad while the longer you're there the comparably more you feel you can't leave the prison. Knowing that if you leave then your time spent was effectively meaningless.

So, because that's so prohibitive I think that's artificially inflated the current price in it's longest useful phase. Everyday until kunark it depreciates in value, though it should see a small spike after it stops dropping.

So, I guess it's really worth like 50-60k right now and it's hyper inflated because it's a bitch of a camp and we're all like 30 year olds that can't necessarily put our lives on pause. So, it's selling for 100-120k. And it's only inflated to like 120k .......... .....wait what? https://wiki.project1999.com/Manastone this seems to believe 800k

ok wtf u talkin bout

guess I should research shit before responding to shit.

this was dumb.

lss: i don't know

Smellybuttface
02-02-2020, 12:31 PM
I'm not an economage but here is my guess don't forget to like and subscribe.

I get what you're saying and how you're thinking about it and getting perplexed. On paper it all seems wonky. I think it is definitely in high demand right now because it has the most usage potential it will ever have right now. I believe the closer we get to kunark the lower the price will drop.

If I had to guess the ones on blue were probably a lot more affordable when they were dropping, and their price has adjusted to where it should be with rarity over time. This is based off the assumption every god damn person has that if list wasn't around then people would camp it for weeks and just sell/give it to friends and guildies.

If that was happening you wouldn't really want to try to sell like 30 manastones for 100k each. I imagine that would take so long. I'd rather sell 100 manastones for 30k each. You can solo or duo the camp, and a few drop a day. So you'd be as rich as you'd ever need to be if you just did this for a week and sold off like 20 manastones. 600k? You'd never really need money ever again. Anything you'd ever buy would be relatively resellable during the era, you'd coast forever from just a week of work. So of course you'd want to sell as many as you could. And thus you'd lower your prices.

But, because you now can only get it from being on a list, it's almost completely inaccessible to 95% of the players. You have to literally not sleep. You can't just like get lucky with getting in a group there, you have to stay at a camp, attentively, for like days. You can't accidentally doze off and wake up 2 hours later and rejoin the group and have the same chances of it dropping. You can't cook food and lose track of time. You just have to be there, slowly going mad while the longer you're there the comparably more you feel you can't leave the prison. Knowing that if you leave then your time spent was effectively meaningless.

So, because that's so prohibitive I think that's artificially inflated the current price in it's longest useful phase. Everyday until kunark it depreciates in value, though it should see a small spike after it stops dropping.

So, I guess it's really worth like 50-60k right now and it's hyper inflated because it's a bitch of a camp and we're all like 30 year olds that can't necessarily put our lives on pause. So, it's selling for 100-120k. And it's only inflated to like 120k .......... .....wait what? https://wiki.project1999.com/Manastone this seems to believe 800k

ok wtf u talkin bout

guess I should research shit before responding to shit.

this was dumb.

lss: i don't know

Tl dr dude, jesus.

Sethius Marlowe
02-02-2020, 12:32 PM
Tl dr dude, jesus.

I'm sorry I often forget how slow people read

Jean-Baptiste Cutting
02-02-2020, 12:33 PM
I'm sorry I often forget how slow people read

It was really quite reasonable, don't listen to the haters.

Zeboim
02-02-2020, 01:12 PM
100% Hype.

For some people getting a Manastone is the highlight of their Green experience.

kelsoider
02-02-2020, 06:47 PM
Definetly agree with Sethius's line of thinking. The gods should strike this camp down before someone hurts themself.

"You have to literally not sleep. You can't just like get lucky with getting in a group there, you have to stay at a camp, attentively, for like days. You can't accidentally doze off and wake up 2 hours later and rejoin the group and have the same chances of it dropping. You can't cook food and lose track of time. You just have to be there, slowly going mad while the longer you're there the comparably more you feel you can't leave the prison. Knowing that if you leave then your time spent was effectively meaningless."

This would be a great quote for a news outlet for when it does.
Just make it an ultra rare drop from all mobs 40+. Problem solved all the except for people that would ninja loot it in group situations.

DMN
02-02-2020, 07:19 PM
I have bought 4 of them now. The last being the most expensive, at 100k. The other 3 were pre-merge and significantly cheaper.

shuklak
02-02-2020, 07:40 PM
They make great stocking stuffers. Stock up now. l

Mead
02-03-2020, 01:02 AM
I have bought 4 of them now. The last being the most expensive, at 100k. The other 3 were pre-merge and significantly cheaper.

You can’t even afford a djarns bub

Droxx
02-03-2020, 01:24 AM
Nothing was perma camped on blue during classic. 90% of the time you could waltz into EE camp and have at it. There will be far more Manastones/Guises/Rubi BPs on greal than ever existed on blue.

DMN
02-03-2020, 02:23 AM

wouldn't need. I already have 2 of them. Cost me 0pp, pleb.

boukk
02-03-2020, 11:58 AM
People can auction whatever they want, doesn't mean they re selling squat.

Kohedron
02-03-2020, 12:44 PM
Imagine farming 100,000+ platinum coins for bragging rights in a 20 year old video game

Smellybuttface
02-03-2020, 12:50 PM
Imagine farming 100,000+ platinum coins for bragging rights in a 20 year old video game

My god, the "Imagine" and "20 year old" shit is so fucked out and tired. Who cares if the game is 20 years old or 1 year old, makes no difference at all.

Jean-Baptiste Cutting
02-03-2020, 12:53 PM

Your point is valid, but shut the fuck up with the “20 year old elf yadda yadda” crap.

drdrakes
02-03-2020, 01:21 PM
Imagine farming for bragging rights in a video game

Visual
02-03-2020, 01:42 PM
Whats funny is that penoy used to sell them for 5-10K on blue back in 2009 lol

cd288
02-03-2020, 03:35 PM
It's because people just spam what the item went for on Blue until they find a buyer. Eventually, they do. Either because the person isn't knowledgeable about the item or because they just have a ton of plat and don't care. Tons of things being auctioned in the tunnel on Green for WAY more than they are worth, especially considering how obsolete some of them become. I also run into a lot of sellers who legitimately think that the Blue pricing should be a good reference point for Green pricing, without considering how much more plat is in circulation on Blue than on Green.

Nirgon
02-03-2020, 03:40 PM
Imagine getting mad at people being happy over 20yr old elf sim pixel.

Lhord99
02-03-2020, 04:25 PM
IDK man. Considering I still farm vanilla zones with my 60 toons for quick plat w/o EC involvement, making 1k is still a timesink for the 'average joe'. The fact that people are paying THOUSANDS of platinum to buy DMF spells, for example, is just dumb. The price on Wort Pots on Green is preposterous. 100k for ANYTHING in Vanilla zones, with vanilla content, is absurd. They were 20k-24k on Fennin Ro for the longest time, for all you 'not classic' buds out there. I remember this, because I distinctly recall seeing them sold on eBay before Verant shut that shit down.

It's time to admit that greed, and an overwhelming amount of moderately employed middle-aged men with an adult understanding of a child's game, have soured the milk.

Seiter02
02-03-2020, 04:26 PM
I'm clearly in the minority here, and I've said this to my friends as well, but I actually do think the 100k price is justified on green and probably too little to be honest. And this is coming from a person that farmed my manastone (with help) and would never ever do it again for all the platinum in the world and hasn't bought one.

The reality is that green is nothing like blue was in terms of population or even knowledge about the population. People are non-stop farming guards, giants and all manner of secondary plat camps and generating massive amounts of wealth with very few outlets for them. There is also a difference in wealth distribution in the sense that while blue might have had individuals with obscene amount of plat due to bugs, etc., that wealth was concentrated on a much smaller population. When that person exits the economy it has a larger effect on the cost basis for things moving forward. With green, everyone I know seems to have way more wealth than one might expect, which drives averages up.

Finally, there are a number of acquisition pressures generated by the fact that list exists (as mentioned by Sethius) that people underestimated, I think, myself included.

TLDR; if I were a betting man I'd expect it to keep going up.

Naerron
02-04-2020, 04:13 AM
first manastone on blue sold for like 10k, there was only like 100 of us for the first few months. now you can complete your math

Teppler
02-04-2020, 10:02 AM
Here’s something I think a lot of people are missing. I played before kunark on this server but not early enough for mana stones.

There was no guarantee p99 was going to survive long term and who is going to go balls to the walls to camp something for days on a server that might not make it?

The server surviving as long as it has gives its legitimacy which gives value to items that no longer drop. The better the legitimacy of the server, the longer it goes, the more the population should grow and value of manastones or similar legacy items always goes up.

The party looks about popped though imo. I think p99 has seen the best numbers they are going to ever see. Mana stones might see really high sales once there’s a merge to blue but that’s only because people have been farming plat for 8+ years. Inflation. After that I see a stale and stagnant market and mana stones dropping very far value wise.

Naerron
02-04-2020, 05:16 PM
if you think this party looks pooped you have no idea what these population numbers are like compared to the emu servers before P99 lol

Hibbs
02-05-2020, 02:16 AM

Flippin LOL

DMN
02-05-2020, 02:28 AM
Flippin LOL

LOL LOL I'm a shit tier player from casual shit tier guild. LOL LOL

Flippin.

Hibbs
02-05-2020, 02:56 AM
LOL LOL I'm a shit tier player from casual shit tier guild. LOL LOL

Flippin.

Flippin LOL

DMN
02-05-2020, 03:01 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AjCUXm4gq5E

Jimjam
02-05-2020, 03:22 AM
Just wondering how many manastones were duped by doing /move, logging into the toon on both servers, then trading the stone away on green to a new character to /move the stone a second time before the original character got deleted.

skorge
02-05-2020, 06:50 AM
Lots of reasons why the manastone is worth more on Green than it will ever be on Blue.

1. Drop rate. The drop-rate on blue was 40%. On Green it's 5%. Just read the forms. Some people had to wait over 50-70 hours just to get one. This was #1 on list hours, not total time on list hours.

2. The List. AFK checks every 5-15 mins is torture. Only true neckbeard warriors can endure this.

3. Account Sharing. The only real way to get one is to share accounts with others, meaning you have to through this entire hell multiple times just to get yours.

4. More neckbeards on Green than Blue ever saw, especially around this time. More neckbeards = more plat.

5. More greedy neckbeards (see 4).

The only thing that saved the manastone's value on blue was all the banned RMT accounts who possessed one. A good bit of manastones got wiped off the server. Now that RMT is more well known and everyone knows it's an insta-ban, less people are taking the risk to RMT high-end items like that.