PDA

View Full Version : Why the hyper-nostalgia?

FactionMember 723
02-25-2010, 07:52 PM
Nevermind.

TheDudeAbides
02-25-2010, 07:58 PM
Or you could just not care why or what other people play

Secrets
02-25-2010, 08:16 PM
The reason? I don't know the true answer, and neither do you. I believe its the same reason people listen to older music bands, because they marked an era in their time, and they have a strong following from their time. I guarantee the people that are playing Project 1999 have played EverQuest sometime in their life, and if they didn't, they want to see what it was like at their predecesors' MMORPG's time.

Why do we listen to the Beatles? It was good music.

Why do we play EverQuest as it was in 1999? It was a good MMORPG.

celicara29
02-25-2010, 08:53 PM
Thanks for editing out your post so this thread makes no sense

stayne
02-25-2010, 09:48 PM
Even though you edited your post, the subject gives me enough to go on.

Everquest is to current MMOs as classic muscle cars are to new cars. They just don't make them like they used to. Too many bells and whistles in new MMOs.

Uh ok. I need more beer.

FactionMember 723
02-25-2010, 09:56 PM
Well the title says it all, and like Secrets said the reasons could be pretty broad and unexact. I've just been surprised by the extreme attention to detail and enthusiasm for classic EQ, and have wondered why there has been such a divide between those who would like minor reforms and those who wouldn't (aggressively so). Was trying to make my rambling more concise, and I realized the title was sufficient.

Abacab
02-26-2010, 02:00 AM
Why do we listen to the Beatles? It was good music.

Well, in that same breathe I could say the Beatles are quite overrated, cause any stoner, hippie, trendite, and indiefuck will listen to them just to seem .2% edgier and elite.

Secrets
02-26-2010, 02:08 AM
Well the title says it all, and like Secrets said the reasons could be pretty broad and unexact. I've just been surprised by the extreme attention to detail and enthusiasm for classic EQ, and have wondered why there has been such a divide between those who would like minor reforms and those who wouldn't (aggressively so). Was trying to make my rambling more concise, and I realized the title was sufficient.

There's been a big divide because EQ Live is not the same game it was, and minor overhauls will not fix the game in its current state. You would need to remove expansions to actually fix the game, and at this stage in EQ's lifetime, is completely and utterly impossible and improbable.

That is why this project is started, at least through my views. It's the exact same reason why Super Mario Bros 2 did not take off as big as everyone thought. It wasn't what people were used to, and a big corporation wanted to change things drastically. Well, in that instance they just copied another game and added Mario, but you get the point.

If it was more of the same with minor gameplay tweaks instead of a major overhaul, you would have a playerbase satisfied for years to come. Instead, SOE wanted to cater to two major playerbases at the same time, the casuals, and the raiders, and ended up losing focus of their main goal. That eventually spiraled into Planes of Power raiding and that's, imo, where a new era of MMORPG gaming was born and the other era died.

Looking back on it, Luclin lead into that Planes of Power fiasco, however it was not as severe at all. At least Luclin kept the community together, and did not add raider exclusive zones where you could not show off your "phat lewts" to everyone till after the raid is over. PoP lost the sense of community and pride of your accomplishments. Community is what made EQ.

Anyways, hopefully that explains it a bit better. Bottom line is: Major overhauls already happened to EQLive, they can't be reversed without losing customers, so we did it for them.

Loke
02-26-2010, 02:53 AM
Well, in that same breathe I could say the Beatles are quite overrated, cause any stoner, hippie, trendite, and indiefuck will listen to them just to seem .2% edgier and elite.

Not to derail the thread, but you're missing the whole point of the beatles and their status in music history. It's not so much the music they played, but that they played it when they did. They revolutionize music, much like the stones, and for that reason they receive the acclaim and respect they do.

I'm a huge music snob, and whenever I have this discussion with people I tell them the same thing... The Beatles don't have to be your *favorite* band, because they certainly aren't mine; but it is hard to deny that they are one of, if not the *greatest* band of all time due to their influence on music and various accomplishments.

As far as why I play this game.. think people covered my reason pretty well already in this thread.

douglas1999
02-26-2010, 06:17 AM
Not to derail the thread, but you're missing the whole point of the beatles and their status in music history. It's not so much the music they played, but that they played it when they did. They revolutionize music, much like the stones, and for that reason they receive the acclaim and respect they do.

No they recieve that acclaim and respect because they wrote pretty much objectively good music for their entire career. I hate it when people try to get all academic about the beatles with the whole "No but you see it is WHEN they played their music that was so special!! The sixties and stuff!!". Are you even listening to the songs? They're good because they're GOOD. Those albums would still be extremely popular if released today or any other decade post-1960.

Derail err day.

Loke
02-26-2010, 11:37 AM
No they recieve that acclaim and respect because they wrote pretty much objectively good music for their entire career. I hate it when people try to get all academic about the beatles with the whole "No but you see it is WHEN they played their music that was so special!! The sixties and stuff!!". Are you even listening to the songs? They're good because they're GOOD. Those albums would still be extremely popular if released today or any other decade post-1960.

Derail err day.

We'll have to agree to disagree. Don't get me wrong, a lot of The Beatles music was amazing... but a lot of it was also thoughtless pop bullshit. I do not think they would be any where near as popular today. I do like The Beatles (although I'm honestly more of a Stones guy), but you can't say that their musical talent alone was their key to their success.

Anyways, yea, done derailing this thread.

FactionMember 723
02-26-2010, 05:34 PM
There's been a big divide because EQ Live is not the same game it was, and minor overhauls will not fix the game in its current state. Community is what made EQ.

Bottom line is: Major overhauls already happened to EQLive, they can't be reversed without losing customers, so we did it for them.

I understand the aversion everyone has to letting EQ pander to the casual gamer, but having not played EQ harcore back in the day makes it harder for me to appreciate some of the more profoundly unfun aspects of the game, I guess. Anyway, my reasons were more cynical and I'm glad others have stated otherwise.

As for the side-thread, not so sure about the Beatles analogy, but that's a great topic too and a lot people seem to think that they were shit (http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/8246313.stm).

Hasbinbad
02-26-2010, 07:38 PM
We'll have to agree to disagree. Don't get me wrong, a lot of The Beatles music was amazing... but a lot of it was also thoughtless pop bullshit. I do not think they would be any where near as popular today. I do like The Beatles (although I'm honestly more of a Stones guy), but you can't say that their musical talent alone was their key to their success.

Anyways, yea, done derailing this thread.
I can't believe you're actually trying to take a position that The Beatles were anything but consummate musicians throughout their multifaceted career, consistently producing high quality albums with both commercial appeal and musical intricacy sufficient to interest even the most discriminating of musical critics. I can't tell if you're playing the devil's advocate or if your personal dislike of the music on a given track or album is coloring your better judgment, but in whichever case I beg you to desist in this escapade of foolishness on which you have embarked.

:P

Edit: I don't really like The Beatles. ..just saying..

Humerox
02-27-2010, 04:37 PM
Classic EQ > Beatles.

Thrynn
02-27-2010, 05:25 PM

fail

(btw, im not a "stoner" "hippie" "trendite" or "indiefuck" and a band i may or may not listen to doesn't make me feel elite pffff....)

Thrynn
02-27-2010, 05:29 PM
but a lot of it was also thoughtless pop bullshit. I do not think they would be any where near as popular today.

lol you say this as if the vast majority of today's radio play is NOT thoughtless pop bullshit.

Ghesta
02-27-2010, 08:43 PM
Ask almost any musician in the last 50 years who their influences were and odds are that they will say the Beatles. Anyone who thinks that they were anything less than world changing musicians is sticking their head in the sand.

Unless of course you only dig music pre-beatles. Then by all means.

Survival
03-01-2010, 05:18 PM
Even though you edited your post, the subject gives me enough to go on.

Everquest is to current MMOs as classic muscle cars are to new cars. They just don't make them like they used to. Too many bells and whistles in new MMOs.

Uh ok. I need more beer.

that was brilliant. i second that.

celicara29
03-02-2010, 01:55 AM
Ask almost any musician in the last 50 years who their influences were and odds are that they will say the Beatles. Anyone who thinks that they were anything less than world changing musicians is sticking their head in the sand.

Unless of course you only dig music pre-beatles. Then by all means.

Music has never changed, only we have. Popular music is popular because a lot of people get enjoyment from listening to it. Granted there are acquired tastes, and the commercialization of music makes it so that a lot of pop is tasty to a lot of people from the start. It's silly to raise bands like the Beatles and the Rolling Stones to god-like status because of their "musical achievements".

Personally I'm a freak for everything(well, most) Pink Floyd has produced. I appreciate the massive talent, I appreciate the process they used to create music, and I appreciate the way their music makes me feel. I don't care about much beyond that. Has Pink Floyd influenced bands, or "revolutionized" music? In some ways sure, but does it really matter?

If you don't listen to a band simply because they are popular, then you are an elitist tool. If you try to argue which band is better than which, you are also a tool, taste is subjective. The first person to bring up the Beatles in this thread is one of these types. Do you really think so many people listen to the Beatles so they can get cred?

Sorry to continue the derail of the thread, and this post wasn't directed at you Ghesta, just quoted because you were the last to post about this topic.