PDA

View Full Version : Ogre/Troll advice

Kron
12-26-2019, 03:34 PM
I really want to try making a big bulky race since I never played one and always thought they looked funny.

I'm in no rush to max lvl and might only try rushing to 35 to get guise before it's gone. My dilemma is choosing the class to play.

What do you guys suggest from the 3 classes they have available.

- Warrior

- Shaman

- Shadow Knight

I currently main a Necro and his slowly grinding from 45-50 so this alt will be to take small breaks from the grind.

Cen
12-26-2019, 03:50 PM
Warrior would be your biggest necro deviation.

Kron
12-26-2019, 04:09 PM
Warrior would be your biggest necro deviation.

I thought a warrior might be nice alt I could buy/farm him some gear.

Not sure if something like an executioners axe is good for leveling since I never played a warrior.

I'm honestly leaning more towards the War or Sham since SK seems like a melee Necro.

Cen
12-26-2019, 05:03 PM
Shadow knights using the same spell set might bore you. Shamans of course are priesty types but use some similar strategies to your necro. Warrior is just a whole different ball game of being an Indiana Jones treasure collector killing machine group and raid guy :p

Brotherr
12-26-2019, 05:12 PM
I would go for a shamy, u will always get a group.

Midoo
12-26-2019, 05:31 PM
Avoid the Warrior class at all costs unless you're some sort of masochist.

Everquest's Warrior class is one of the least friendly and most boring ever. Anything the Warrior can tank, the Shadow Knight or the Paladin can tank much better. Their DPS is subpar unless they're twinked up the ass.

In Classic they're a completely crippled class that's almost worthless. You'll spend 100% of your time living in groups and even then you're be a paraplegic burden who's mediocre at everything and has 0 things to do other than auto attacking.

When Velious drops they get some abilities post-60 that will make them better raid tanks than Paladins or Shadow Knights but all the way 1-59 you will suffer. You should only ever be consider one if you're sure you're gonna neckbeard for years taking it to level 60, over-gearing it and only doing raids.

Shadow Knight is fun but the XP penalty is crippling and the playstyle too similar to Necromancer.

Shaman is really fun. You get to heal, you get the best melee buffs in the game, free SoW from level 9 and a dog pet at level 34. DoTs are similar to Necro but that's about it.

Octopath
12-26-2019, 05:48 PM
Are there any noob quests for troll/ogre similar to cbbelts? Can they get wolf form and do Deathfist quests?

Could I take a ogre over to CB and kill enough orcs to have faction needed?

Octopath
12-26-2019, 06:20 PM
ogres can turn in cb belts with wolf form, you can bank through the window in gfay as well

I was told you can’t wolf form with cb belts since Kaladim Is a indoor zone.
Freeport being outdoor though I think you could with deathfist belts?

Cen
12-26-2019, 06:29 PM
Yeah ogres can't be wolfed in kaladim and the alternatives don't exist yet and even they are annoying to prime up

Teppler
12-26-2019, 06:31 PM
Don’t pick a char based on race. Your play experience is 10000x more dependent on class.

Octopath
12-26-2019, 06:37 PM
Yeah ogres can't be wolfed in kaladim and the alternatives don't exist yet and even they are annoying to prime up

Are df belts worth it?

Tecmos Deception
12-26-2019, 07:41 PM
sham probably represent 50% of the server and 40% being enchanters

if you go SK you will have the same crappy spells as your nec, be desirable for a group tank and unwanted at max level

Warrior is the best bet but will require a decent amount of gear to be viable which you can probably afford

Sham and ench are both like 9-15% depending on when you do the .count all. SK aren't "unwanted" at max level so much as "not necessary" (which like half of other the classes also are). Warriors are fine but not obviously a superior choice to the others just because you said they are.

Cen
12-26-2019, 11:38 PM
Are df belts worth it?

Yes, because finding wolf form in WFP is a lot easier now.

Swish
12-27-2019, 03:06 AM

Everquest's Warrior class is one of the least friendly and most boring ever. Anything the Warrior can tank, the Shadow Knight or the Paladin can tank much better. Their DPS is subpar unless they're twinked up the ass.

In Classic they're a completely crippled class that's almost worthless. You'll spend 100% of your time living in groups and even then you're be a paraplegic burden who's mediocre at everything and has 0 things to do other than auto attacking.

When Velious drops they get some abilities post-60 that will make them better raid tanks than Paladins or Shadow Knights but all the way 1-59 you will suffer. You should only ever be consider one if you're sure you're gonna neckbeard for years taking it to level 60, over-gearing it and only doing raids.

Shadow Knight is fun but the XP penalty is crippling and the playstyle too similar to Necromancer.

Shaman is really fun. You get to heal, you get the best melee buffs in the game, free SoW from level 9 and a dog pet at level 34. DoTs are similar to Necro but that's about it.

When Kunark/Velious hits and you're max level... as a SK/paladin your role is basically one of a trash tank on raiding, warriors end up with the glory of tanking gods ^^

M.J.
12-27-2019, 04:05 PM
For the purpose of EXP quest turn ins to 9 I believe the earth ele illusion pot from Cazic Thule is in, so you can farm one of those on your necro if you're 34+ with your pet. It should be a single spawn that pats to the area just before the apes and the temple in the maze from what I remember. Double check the wiki to make sure, there may be a couple of other lizard pats but I don't remember having any issue camping the thing on my mage w/o snare.

I'd recommend porting your dude around and doing some faction if possible, 1-4 on red wine in neriak and muffins in WFP (RZ/Agnostic ogres/trolls should be able to) to boost your elf reps. Then move onto belts wherever you prefer to level 8/9. SK will be the only one with faction issues regardless of deity for you (like in HK) and if you worship CT/Inny on either an ogre or a troll for any class you'll be adding onto your hated status somewhere I'm sure. Though Ogre classes can all do RZ I believe, even SKs, so there may be some boosts from that somewhere, but I'm no faction expert.

I would recommend warrior or shadowknight if you're just looking for a character that plays a radically different role from necro and that every non-raid group needs - with warrior being a better time investment with less versatility if you plan to play through Kunark and Velious. If you're interested in spending time doing tradeskills however Ogre RZ worshipper is what I recommend, and not just because you'll have more skill ups while raising them due to higher wis - you'll have a platinum sink in the form of alchemy, blacksmithing will get you some plat when cultural drops with RZ ogre armor and those 19 dmg magic 2hb you can sell by the bag to people leveling pet classes, and you'll have FSI for Kunark when torpor is in game which means you can farm your own black sapphires for JC endlessly in Sebilis along with all the other enchanters and shamans that will be soloing there.

Polycaster
12-27-2019, 05:01 PM
sham probably represent 50% of the server and 40% being enchanters

if you go SK you will have the same crappy spells as your nec, be desirable for a group tank and unwanted at max level

Warrior is the best bet but will require a decent amount of gear to be viable which you can probably afford

Warriors are shit tanks, stop spreading the false 'conventional wisdom' to sound like you know anything. I'd rather have a decently geared bard as MT than a warrior.

Cen
12-27-2019, 05:07 PM
What is going on here with warrior hate. Warriors are the best tank always. Snap aggro isn't the main way to tank in Everquest its mitigation and root/blind

Midoo
12-27-2019, 05:10 PM
I'd rather scratch my nuts with a cheese grater than play an untwinked warrior to level cap

axisofebola
12-27-2019, 05:13 PM
When Kunark/Velious hits and you're max level... as a SK/paladin your role is basically one of a trash tank on raiding, warriors end up with the glory of tanking gods ^^

More like "warrior" 90% of the time.

RipVanFish
12-27-2019, 05:21 PM
I'd rather scratch my nuts with a cheese grater than play an untwinked warrior to level cap

Would you actually rather do that though

Midoo
12-27-2019, 05:31 PM
Would you actually rather do that though

Not really but if someone held me at gunpoint I'd hesitate considerably

fadetree
12-28-2019, 11:10 AM
What is going on here with warrior hate. Warriors are the best tank always. Snap aggro isn't the main way to tank in Everquest its mitigation and root/blind

I dunno about that. Can you justify your statement? I greatly prefer snap aggro tanks in grinds. Why would a warrior be better in that circumstance? Why would we want to spend the extra effort and mana just to keep the mob from killing all of us? War mitigation doesn't make up for that ordinarily.

Cen
12-28-2019, 01:40 PM
I dunno about that. Can you justify your statement? I greatly prefer snap aggro tanks in grinds. Why would a warrior be better in that circumstance? Why would we want to spend the extra effort and mana just to keep the mob from killing all of us? War mitigation doesn't make up for that ordinarily.

Its not world of warcraft is why.

Warrior mitigation is better then it seems to people who haven't run all three tank classes before. Having 5-10 points over in Defense, offense, and the weapon skill being used on a yellow/even/blue con makes a huge change in the bell curve of damage and damage avoidance.

Aggro management isn't strictly done by the tank, for any of the three. SK's and Paladins have snap aggro as a utility, but its not the primary way that tanks do their job in EQ. Most of the time, a mob must be kept controlled. Now, you might ask, if a mob is always going to be rooted, why have any melee or any tanks and just not have a caster group, to which there is two points:

1. You can do that if you want and it would be pretty good
2. Rogues exist.. and to a lesser extent other melee classes.

When blinded or rooted mob attacks closest physical character to it. You can then decide who is going to take the damage, and make backstabs easy.

Is the warrior your only melee character in the group?
Then yes, an SK or a Paladin would have been better.

Warriors also do a lot more damage with the DW/DA caps and crits/crips proccing.

SK's and Paladins are great too though. I'm just saying warriors aren't the absolute worthless shit people have been saying lately. They are pretty cool. Also they get the most clickies ;p

Keebz
12-29-2019, 04:09 AM
Warrior DPS is pretty good, esp. if you're zerking. So they don't have to tank, but of course they can, esp. if you root often. They just happen to mitigate damage the best and have the highest hit points. Add in the class exp bonus (vs penalty), and it's not a bad deal.

My intuition is a big race warrior with decent weapons and zerking would out dps many monks/rogues.

Kalamurv
12-29-2019, 04:34 AM
Warriors will always be the best tanks. The real issue is that people don't have the slightest clue at how to control their own agro anymore....exactly the type of players that wouldn't get / got kicked out of groups on live. Wizzys Mages etc dropping their massive nukes when mobs at 95%, rogues opening with backstab from 100%, rangers....well who knows wtf they do.....my point being, if you're getting agro from the warrior (assuming a decent warrior, not one of those taunt spamming morons), you are the problem, not the warrior.

Smellybuttface
12-29-2019, 11:33 AM
Warrior DPS is pretty good, esp. if you're zerking. So they don't have to tank, but of course they can, esp. if you root often. They just happen to mitigate damage the best and have the highest hit points. Add in the class exp bonus (vs penalty), and it's not a bad deal.

My intuition is a big race warrior with decent weapons and zerking would out dps many monks/rogues.

Does berserk actually 'increase' your DPS? Id read that it just converts critical strikes into crippling blows, which add an instant effect stun on a mob. Great for generating additional aggro, but doesn't actually add up to more DPS. Correct me please if I'm wrong.

DMN
12-29-2019, 12:11 PM
Warriors also do a lot more damage with the DW/DA caps and crits/crips proccing.

SK's and Paladins are great too though. I'm just saying warriors aren't the absolute worthless shit people have been saying lately. They are pretty cool. Also they get the most clickies ;p

Have you run the damage comparison of dual yaks/FBSS versus mith 2hd or skarlonn/FBSS?

aaezil
12-29-2019, 12:33 PM

Post is dumb - warriors are the superior tank starting in kunark

cornisthebest
12-29-2019, 12:55 PM
warrior haters are cringe

Cen
12-29-2019, 01:33 PM
Does berserk actually 'increase' your DPS? Id read that it just converts critical strikes into crippling blows, which add an instant effect stun on a mob. Great for generating additional aggro, but doesn't actually add up to more DPS. Correct me please if I'm wrong.

Cripping blows change your damage multiplier to 3 instead of two, in addition to adding the 50% chance to stun on crippling blow.

DMN
12-29-2019, 01:49 PM
I'm not sure stuns from crippling add any aggro... bash stuns never increased aggro that i recall. I leveled a lot with a warrior friend with my SK back in original EQ and ya he could some pretty good damage we would let him sit in a berserk state while fear kiting. i think he would have been eating a lot of aggro if crippling blows added hate and recall it actually being quite safe.

Cen
12-29-2019, 02:14 PM
I'm not sure stuns from crippling add any aggro... bash stuns never increased aggro that i recall. I leveled a lot with a warrior friend with my SK back in original EQ and ya he could some pretty good damage we would let him sit in a berserk state while fear kiting. i think he would have been eating a lot of aggro if crippling blows added hate and recall it actually being quite safe.

The stuns from crippling are the same as ones from Bash. Its not a spell effect slot so the aggro is pretty insignificant.

jlxharville
12-29-2019, 02:22 PM
I would go for a shamy, u will always get a group.

There are bookoos of shamans... its harder than it looks lol.

Kalamurv
12-29-2019, 10:22 PM
My personal opinion is its really not worth having healer keep you in crippling blow range until much later in game (40+ at min)....before that you don't have the hps to withstand a bad pull or streak of max dmg be fore heals land in time....plus the fact that, although the eye candy big hits look cool, you really aren't adding much dps at lower levels with it.
As for dps, warriors do far better dps than most people realize or understand. They have some of the highest skill caps in all weapon types as well as dual wield and double (triple @60) attack. The reason I think most don't realize the dps wars can actually put out is because as tanks, warriors aren't gearing themselves for dps, they gear for hp / ac and aggro. I remember on live, mind you this was around omens era, my warrior was consistently in the top 10, and quite often top 5 dps on raids (man were rogues wizzys and rangers pissed!)....before guild would get upset and wonder why I was always bidding on dps weapons....once I was pulling ahead in dps the other wars started following suit.

Keebz
12-29-2019, 11:57 PM
My personal opinion is its really not worth having healer keep you in crippling blow range until much later in game (40+ at min)....before that you don't have the hps to withstand a bad pull or streak of max dmg be fore heals land in time....

Assuming the warrior isn't tanking, I don't think it's that bad? On my mid-30's ranger, the warrior is never ever getting aggro. A couple flame licks is enough to seal the deal versus other melees, excluding maybe the occasional streak from a rogue with dual Serrated Bone Dirks *sigh*