PDA

View Full Version : Miscellaneous: Glimmer ring

Nuggie
11-15-2019, 01:45 AM
Between myself and 2 others we've killed nearly 25 Mina's and have yet to see a glimmer ring. Can we get a double check to see if this got put back onto the loot table for the short duration it was supposed to be on there?

randal.flagg
11-15-2019, 10:09 AM
Make that 26 ;) haha.

No ring for me either.

uygi
11-21-2019, 12:43 PM
Any chance we can get this double checked?

Sunderfury
11-21-2019, 02:48 PM
I'm unfamiliar with this item really, quick search shows it should be a 1 charge gate item, correct? Wiki makes it seem unlimited use. Looks like early confusion on charged items did not indicate it was out of charges, and made folks think it was unlimited click. Are you of the impression this item should be unlimited clicks?

7/2/99 post: (https://groups.google.com/forum/#!msg/alt.games.everquest/TNaTrZhZwG4/xvj3-0VqzW4J;context-place=forum/alt.games.everquest)
Hi, i recently acquired one of these babies and was severly disappointed to
find out it is a charge based item. It's effect is Gate and there was only one
charge on it. I remember seeing on a web page a screenshot of this item and it
was definetly not a charge based version. Does anyone have any information on
this? Has it been changed to charge based or is there a way to make it
permanent gate? Thanks a lot for any feedback.
When you use all the charges on an item, the "Charges:" disappear and
the item look like their is an illimited number of charges, same thing
with the squad ring.

There should be someway to fill items when the charges are depleted,
like holding the item and casting gate in the case of the glimmer
ring.

If the Glimmer Ring has only 1 charge it suxx big time, I wont camp of
pay a fortune for a 1 charge item like this one.
Doncha just love that? I sent in a bug report on this in beta, and was
resoundingly ignored. An easy way to take advantage of people that aren't
familiar with the item. Just sell it to them and since it doesn't say
"Charges: 0", the person doesn't know they were ripped off until they try
to use it.

7/19/99: (https://groups.google.com/forum/#!searchin/alt.games.everquest/%22Glimmer$20Ring%22|sort:date/alt.games.everquest/I3GOrEfCylw/9lLIDXD2w3wJ)
Greetings, does anyone have and have used a Glimmer Ring. It does not
mention a charge or show one in the pic on the web sites, BUT I finally got
one and it says Charges:1 - I am hoping that it is like some "infinate
charges" items...

Another post mentions a patch removed these all from game, so not sure if this is true that devs would bother putting in?
8/4/99: (https://groups.google.com/forum/#!searchin/alt.games.everquest/%22Glimmer$20Ring%22|sort:date/alt.games.everquest/knv_IU_vT_0/19L6jXAtwHEJ)
Welp since last patch all glimmer rings magically turned into cloth
cap's.....did anyone actually get the rings back frum GM'S?....or do we
still have to bite the bullet once again on this one?????

A 2003 safehouse post also mentions ring being retroactively removed:
https://thesafehouse.org/forums/forum/everquest-wing/the-back-alley/4023-collectors-rare-items-no-longer-drop-still-ingame?p=107053#post107053
The Glimmer Ring was another item I had and that was also physically removed from the game. I logged on one day and found it was gone from my inventory. Took forever to get a response on it but they finally said they just removed it.

uygi
11-21-2019, 03:12 PM
My understanding is one charge, not expendable, vendor rechargeable. AFAIK they are/were correct on Blue, and there would be at least a few in banks or something there as there were some from legacy item period and a fair number were awarded during Kunark release event. I had kind of assumed it was an intended legacy item since they were dropping for Kunark launch along with guises and rubicite.

It seems like they were retro-removed at some point (it doesn't exist in Lucy), unclear if that was pre- or post-Luclin and/or at same time that it's removed from loot table, and unclear when they were removed from the named.

Sunderfury
11-21-2019, 03:15 PM
My understanding is one charge, not expendable, vendor rechargeable. AFAIK they are correct on Blue, and there should be at least a few in banks or something there as there were some from legacy item period and a number were awarded during Kunark release event.

I'm not certain if devs were aware at the time the ring was retro removed, I'm not sure nilbog would want that enabled on green/teal and deal with the headache and confusion. Would need a dev response, I'm just a research jockey.

uygi
11-21-2019, 03:46 PM
Yeah. I had guessed that it was possibly made rare (~5%) for balance reasons. On BLue she dropped the wand sometimes, not always. I always figured the no-item drops were the ring spot in loot table.

Sunderfury
11-21-2019, 06:03 PM
It seems like they were retro-removed at some point (it doesn't exist in Lucy), unclear if that was pre- or post-Luclin and/or at same time that it's removed from loot table, and unclear when they were removed from the named.

In addition to the research I provided on Aug1999 retro-active delete, there are posts on her ZAM page indicating it was clearly removed during timeline. There really shouldn't be any of these on blue either.

http://everquest.allakhazam.com/db/npc.html?id=3613
Ring Removed

Oct 19 2000

While this is a good site and i get alot of info i been wondering something so i cross refernced with 2 other pages and found out that the Glimmer Ring that we all want is no longer in the game it has been removed another thing is she is about lvl 25-27 also those who had these rings dont anymore for their rings turned into a cloth cape

Telin
11-21-2019, 09:55 PM
This item was removed permanently from loot tables when it was removed from blue. So it does not currently drop on Green/Teal.

This item was deemed so overpowered that it was removed entirely from the game. We usually wouldn’t want to add these items, but because the change came later in the timeline, we are having internal discussions on whether to add it temporarily and have it convert to a cloth cape in the August 2000 patch.

I will post an update when I know for sure, but for now I didn’t want players wasting time their camping this item.

supermonk
11-22-2019, 05:26 AM
This item was removed permanently from loot tables when it was removed from blue. So it does not currently drop on Green/Teal.

This item was deemed so overpowered that it was removed entirely from the game. We usually wouldn’t want to add these items, but because the change came later in the timeline, we are having internal discussions on whether to add it temporarily and have it convert to a cloth cape in the August 2000 patch.

I will post an update when I know for sure, but for now I didn’t want players wasting time their camping this item.

what makes it so overpowered; isn't it the same as vial of swirling smoke? unless it cost like 1p to recharge.

Kavious
11-22-2019, 05:39 AM
Unlimited use, no charges. Its insane

supermonk
11-22-2019, 05:53 AM
i always thought it was one charge, but rechargable.

Man0warr
11-22-2019, 03:00 PM
Yes, 1 charge. The old tooltips didn't have out of charges text.

uygi
11-25-2019, 07:46 PM
I don’t know of any clear evidence for recharge cost, but I heard rumors of vendor recharge costing anywhere from 5 gold to 55pp.

Nuggie
11-28-2019, 01:10 AM

This is what I was hoping for. Thanks, mate.