PDA

View Full Version : P99 vs EQ live

kaluppo
11-06-2019, 09:51 PM
I was bored at work and came across a youtube video comparing P99 to Live EQ. The video was a few years old so this was a 2017 comparison. I watched it just to see what live even looks like since I havn't personally been there since 2007 ish. The video was kind of lame and he kind of trashed P99 at the end. But then I checked out the same users newest video put out this year as a 20 year mark state of the game.

HOLY CRAP has EQ gotten complicated. The UI has so many boxes and chat windows I would have to hire interns to monitor them all while I played. Then he went into his inventory at some point on a his lvl 110 Monk to show how some gear can be given XP for it to evolve and get better stats or some crap but I stopped listening because I was freaking out over his player stats. He had like 250,000 HP, some insane number for AC and he had over 2,000,000 PP on him yet was nowhere near encumbered :eek:

He has so many macro buttons I would have needed to hire interns to run them all during a fight. When he talked about AA's it was like if you are a new or returning player you can enable this box and you will automatically get 14,000 AA's as you level up to 80. 14,000 free AA's but then you have another 24,000 you need to actually XP grind for and earn. So ding AA 1 done and 23,999 more to go :eek:

Two things I did like though. You can buy land and a house and decorate your home anyway you like. And now there is a aggro meter so you will know when you are about to pull aggro off the tank. He even made a joke about how it wont stop the wizards out there from doing it anyway.

Makes me glad I found P99 for the far more simplistic play style the game started with and should have always kept. So that's my rant. Damn you fools for ruining EQ live and bless Rogean and all the staff for giving us Project 99 to play on and escape the madness of live for the madness of Green and Teal :D

indiscriminate_hater
11-06-2019, 10:01 PM
I, too, enjoy the occasional drug trip

Lulz Sect
11-06-2019, 11:51 PM
https://i.imgur.com/nS4qJpF.jpg

Swish
11-07-2019, 02:16 AM
Modern Freeport was all you needed to see to not want to play live EQ anymore.

Bardp1999
11-07-2019, 03:00 AM
I went back to Live before I found P99 and good god was it stupid. Mercenaries (NPCs you can hire to either tank/DPS/Heal for you - basically AI boxxing), Plane of Knowledge ports, like 700 zones I know nothing about... I tried it for a week or two and just couldn't bring myself to do it anymore.

Bardp1999
11-07-2019, 03:03 AM
The only thing that would be cool for P99 to bring in from live is the rotating "hot zones" where they give increased ZEM to underutilized zones on a rotating basis every few days, that part was kind of fun because it would incentive people to explore and if you didnt want to the 'normal' leveling zones were unaffected.

saftbudet
11-07-2019, 04:06 AM
Amount of AAs is obviously absurd, but tbh I kinda miss them. It gives the option to customize your class abit.

Hoppkins_Wytchfinder
11-07-2019, 05:32 AM
Mercs are way too powerful. I think the problem is there are so many zones the game has become diluted. Like too little butter spread on toast.

Starting new? Good luck with that, all newbie zones empty bar probably the brand new one. So mercs are needed in that respect. I couldnt stand it. I quit 2 expansions after PoP.

Luclin was the last expansion i enjoyed.

Im loving P1999. I thought i would never get the feeling of EQ back.

Despite knowing the areas etc the DANGER feeling is still there.

Kudos to the admins.

saftbudet
11-07-2019, 06:18 AM
Mercs are way too powerful. I think the problem is there are so many zones the game has become diluted. Like too little butter spread on toast.

Starting new? Good luck with that, all newbie zones empty bar probably the brand new one. So mercs are needed in that respect. I couldnt stand it. I quit 2 expansions after PoP.

Luclin was the last expansion i enjoyed.

Im loving P1999. I thought i would never get the feeling of EQ back.

Despite knowing the areas etc the DANGER feeling is still there.

Kudos to the admins.

yeah, mercs, bleh ruin community!

Sagus
11-07-2019, 08:16 AM
I've hopped around between live and TLPs for years. Live is definitely a different game but one I occasionally play. This is actually the first time I've ever tried P99 and I'm enjoying the heck out of it. I'm so used to TLPs where bots and krono farmers dominate the world, so it's great to see GMs active and enforcing rules for a change.

Hoppkins_Wytchfinder
11-07-2019, 09:57 AM
yeah, mercs, bleh ruin community!

Didnt need mercs to ruin it. If you log on to live now you can bet that 75% of the people you see are being boxed.

E.g. see 20 people? Probably 2/3 actual players rest are boxed by those 2/3

Jimjam
11-07-2019, 10:02 AM
Mercs didn't just devalue the othrr member's of the community's characters. They devalued your own characters too. From level 1 they just blow players out the water. Your warrior is irrelevant compared to tank merc. May as well let it carry you to level 5 and then just put on kobold healer shroud lol.

Lhord99
11-07-2019, 10:18 AM
I ran a j5 merc farm for guildies and a few select others. It’s crazy what people pay for that on live, just so they can box and not talk to each other.

Like, I was doing the service for them, and they didn’t even talk to me about... anything! The process, the difficulty, etc. Just “show up, turn on, tune out” culture.

greenspectre
11-10-2019, 04:49 AM
The real problem with live is all the expansions, and the ever-increasing level-cap that comes with them. Each new expansion renders the previous ones obsolete. It became such that mercs were NECESSARY, because all of the player base would homogenize at the newest expansion or two so quickly that the rest of the ENTIRE, MASSIVE game would become a ghost town.

The reason p99 works is that the game is only so large, and the level range is only so much. Yes, Kaesora and Dalnir will always be empty, but other than select zones like that, the rest of the game will always have players of assorted level ranges in various nooks and crannies of the game. Live EQ is an ever-decreasing population of individual toons (boxing certainly doesn't help) in an ever-increasing gamespace. This is why p99 is perfect as it is IMO.

greenspectre
11-10-2019, 04:50 AM
The real problem with live is all the expansions, and the ever-increasing level-cap that comes with them. Each new expansion renders the previous ones obsolete. It became such that mercs were NECESSARY, because all of the player base would homogenize at the newest expansion or two so quickly that the rest of the ENTIRE, MASSIVE game would become a ghost town.

The reason p99 works is that the game is only so large, and the level range is only so much. Yes, Kaesora and Dalnir will always be empty, but other than select zones like that, the rest of the game will always have players of assorted level ranges in various nooks and crannies of the game. Live EQ is an ever-decreasing population of individual toons (boxing certainly doesn't help) in an ever-increasing gamespace. p99 is a fixed gamespace and a relatively stable number of players. This is why p99 is perfect as it is IMO.

greenspectre
11-10-2019, 04:53 AM
Sorry about the double post- mistook the "quote" button for the "edit post" button...and apparently i'm not allowed to edit my own posts??

Domo
11-10-2019, 04:53 AM
Ive tested EQlive like 5 years ago.

Ive logged out after 5min or less.

It just didnt felt like EQ for me and there were so many buttons that I didnt knew how to start. Think half of the buttons were for an item shop or something.

Daldaen
11-10-2019, 09:18 AM
Mercenaries are overpowered for the first 65 levels. But that’s by design because those levels are extremely basic and not much is going on. Auto attack, hit one ability, cast a spell or two and that’s it. So mercenaries allow players to essentially skip these levels with a mercenary tank doing everything for you.

Once you get to 70+, mercenaries are far less powerful but allow you to fill critical slots in groups if you can’t find them. By that time you’re getting your epic 2.0, some more AAs, more discs and the game is becoming more complicated.

By level 110, mercenaries are very trash. A single healer Merc struggles to keep up a normal tank, you generally need 2-3 to keep up a tank.

shuklak
11-10-2019, 02:28 PM
Both servers are unique in their own way but the live community is more toxic from what I see. The biggest thing not feature wise is that on live macroquest isn't rare and afk botting is a diamond dozen.

There is essentially 0 gm presence on live so toxicity thrives and spreads.