View Full Version : Game Mechanics: Research success rate

Obrae
11-05-2019, 07:29 PM
Sad tale of a magician (not me)

So i trivialize 29 pet combine
Magician hand me his combine mats, i fail
I feel bad
I raise a pet to 29, i fail again with my mats
I raise a pet again to 29, i fail again with my mats.

back to back to back 5% fail chance ? that is BS, possible but BS.

I speak to mage community i get report of fail trivial combine by the dozens with very little combine attemps.

Defenitly fail rate is way too high. Just another BS abiout actual Magician position.
I guess its testable by the staff, i have no hope they do, posting by principle.

Erati
11-05-2019, 07:33 PM
what is 'raising a pet' mean?

Obrae
11-05-2019, 07:33 PM
29 earth fyi

Got it first combine back then for my own pet

Obrae
11-05-2019, 07:34 PM
what is 'raising a pet' mean?

If you want to make a 29 pet attempt, first you need to build a 24 pet and use the scroll on 29 combine.

For a 29 pet you need to make a 24, 29, 34, 39, 44 pets and then use that 44 pet in the 49 combine

Daldaen
11-05-2019, 07:38 PM
The way classic TS combines work, specifically at low levels, simply being at a skill level above where a combine trivials, does not give you a 95% success rate.

For example, being at 62 Skill on a 62 Combine, you still only have 66% Chance of success.

How it breaks down is this:

IF(SKILL<68, SUCCESS RATE = (SKILL - TRIVIAL_OF_COMBINE + 66)/100

IF(SKILL>68, SUCCESS RATE = (SKILL - 0.75*TRIVIAL_OF_COMBINE + 51.5)/100

So in your example, the trivial of Magician pet at 29 is 82, and at skill of 82, plugging in those values you get a success rate of 72%. To reach 95% (which is the cap), you need to obtain a skill of 105. Which coincidentally requires level 36 to unlock.

Research really blows due to the level based skill-cap. Researching spells as you level up is very RNG dependent. I failed 7 combines in a row at max skill for my level for spells that are the same level. That was with an expected 49% Success chance.

See here - https://web.archive.org/web/20151024195027/http://mboards.eqtraders.com/eq/showthread.php?11-What-sort-of-success-rate-should-I-expect

Obrae
11-05-2019, 07:46 PM
The way classic TS combines work, specifically at low levels, simply being at a skill level above where a combine trivials, does not give you a 95% success rate.

For example, being at 62 Skill on a 62 Combine, you still only have 66% Chance of success.

How it breaks down is this:

IF(SKILL<68, SUCCESS RATE = (SKILL - TRIVIAL_OF_COMBINE + 66)/100

IF(SKILL>68, SUCCESS RATE = (SKILL - 0.75*TRIVIAL_OF_COMBINE + 51.5)/100

So in your example, the trivial of Magician pet at 29 is 82, and at skill of 82, plugging in those values you get a success rate of 72%. To reach 95% (which is the cap), you need to obtain a skill of 105. Which coincidentally requires level 36 to unlock.

Research really blows due to the level based skill-cap. Researching spells as you level up is very RNG dependent. I failed 7 combines in a row at max skill for my level for spells that are the same level. That was with an expected 49% Success chance.

See here - https://web.archive.org/web/20151024195027/http://mboards.eqtraders.com/eq/showthread.php?11-What-sort-of-success-rate-should-I-expect

At this point just f* all of this crap. Lets just level to 50 without pet and wait january :)

Dolalin
11-06-2019, 02:51 AM
You'll do better if you pay a higher level magician research your pet for you with his higher skill, for the reasons above.

Coincidentally, this is a nice little earner for mages to afford their higher level words.

soronil
11-06-2019, 09:23 AM
not a bug. all tradeskills work this way. Trivial does not mean 95% success rate.

randal.flagg
11-06-2019, 12:39 PM
At this point just f* all of this crap. Lets just level to 50 without pet and wait january :)

good luck getting a group w/o any of your pets.

Madbad
11-06-2019, 12:47 PM
WTS words of tyranny

Valion
11-06-2019, 01:59 PM
You'll do better if you pay a higher level magician research your pet for you with his higher skill, for the reasons above.

Coincidentally, this is a nice little earner for mages to afford their higher level words.
You got your wish despite what the devs said the recipes don't work research is broken. Stop pretending and trying to placate everyone with empty words.

Obrae
11-06-2019, 06:58 PM
not a bug. all tradeskills work this way. Trivial does not mean 95% success rate.

Yeah i saw the post, but not all research work this way, no other class needs to make all the previous tier research for a single combine.

Only magician. As unclassic as it can be. People misunderstand what the "classic experience" means.

No one or almost went through this, ever. If only a couple of souls, it was fix pretty much as soon as player got to that content.

Dumb idea back then is still dumb today. I am not in the head of the people enforcing this and they will not want to lose face anyway. But this as nothing to do with what they claim to want to achieve. They are just breaking a class severly for no reason for the first 2 month.

Mage will work after, just delaying a working class that people remember playing during the "classic experience" that was everquest from Release to Velious.

Dolalin
11-07-2019, 03:35 AM
Only magician. As unclassic as it can be.

1) Mage research was always like this

2) Mage research was actually completely broken for 2 or 3 months, though P99 isn't seeking to emulate that

3) In addition to this, mage pets couldn't wield weapons, would run from mobs that conned red to the pet, wouldn't dual wield, didn't cast spells

although

4) They would hit for a bit more on the high end.

So you're right, classic was in fact much worse for mages than it is now, on the balance