PDA

View Full Version : Banded versus bronze - is bronze worth the plat / weight?

Soothsayer
10-31-2019, 08:51 AM
Given the opaque nature of armor class in EQ, I'm struggling to determine if I should blow some plat on bronze on my warrior or hold out for drops while wearing banded. I'm using several bronze pieces from the knight card quest (breastplate, helm, shoulders, mask) but the rest is mostly banded.

Would it noticeably increase my survivability to get more bronze pieces or should I save up for things like magic weapons and good accessories while waiting for bronze to simply drop?

Legidias
10-31-2019, 09:20 AM
Bronze will drop, don't worry about it.

Kendir
10-31-2019, 09:26 AM
Bronze will drop, don't worry about it.

akagami
10-31-2019, 09:27 AM
Banded is totally fine. And you already have some bronze.

Much better off saving for some proc weapons.

Baler
10-31-2019, 09:29 AM
https://wiki.project1999.com/Banded_Armor
The Banded Armor Set consists of 13 pieces for 91AC. Full set is 47 weight.

https://wiki.project1999.com/Bronze_Armor
The Bronze Armor Set consists of 13 pieces for 110AC. Full set weighs 86

AC does function to reduce melee damage taken on P99. Banded wins with only 19 less AC due to it weighing 39 less.

Soothsayer
10-31-2019, 10:00 AM
https://wiki.project1999.com/Banded_Armor

https://wiki.project1999.com/Bronze_Armor

AC does function to reduce melee damage taken on P99. Banded wins with only 19 less AC due to it weighing 39 less.

Fair point - I'm not a large race, so the weight issue is legitimate, haha. I reckon I'll stick with what I have for now. Tyvm for the feedback.

Gustoo
10-31-2019, 10:29 AM
If you can handle the weight and can wear it, wear bronze. If you're an elf, wear banded.

Bronze comes to you for free from dungeons you're going to be grinding in.

Tenlaar
10-31-2019, 10:30 AM
Ogres and MAYBE trolls/barb/dwarf can consider bronze.

Everything else should just plan on banded.

FatherSioux
10-31-2019, 10:37 AM
If you can handle the weight and can wear it, wear bronze. If you're an elf, wear banded.

Bronze comes to you for free from dungeons you're going to be grinding in.

Khorza
10-31-2019, 10:50 AM
is bronze worth the plat / weight?

Not really, no. It's barely better than banded and it's much heavier. People mostly use it because it looks nicer.

If you have the extra weight tolerance then sure use a few of the high AC pieces but I think wearing a full set of the stuff is generally a mistake unless you're an Ogre maybe.

To make matters worse though, the large pieces of bronze are more difficult to obtain and those are the races who are more likely to be able to use it.

Dwarves are really in the best position for bronze armor since they have a nice starting strength score and small bronze is the most common. Once people start hunting in Mistmoore the server will be flooded with the stuff. Also, small bronze weighs a bit less than the medium or large pieces (but so does banded).

If you really wanted to try to pick up some more pieces of bronze for cheap, then heading to Mistmoore is probably your best bet. People will gladly sell you pieces to get rid of the weight.

Ahris
11-01-2019, 09:22 AM
Given the opaque nature of armor class in EQ, I'm struggling to determine if I should blow some plat on bronze on my warrior or hold out for drops while wearing banded. I'm using several bronze pieces from the knight card quest (breastplate, helm, shoulders, mask) but the rest is mostly banded.

Would it noticeably increase my survivability to get more bronze pieces or should I save up for things like magic weapons and good accessories while waiting for bronze to simply drop?

It's only worth it if you have the strength to wear it without encumberment issues.

Jimjam
11-01-2019, 10:10 AM
In classic there were pretty strict by level caps on worn AC. This means the classic answer would be 'depends on your level'.

On p1999 the worn caps don't seem to work the same, so adding more ac is never entirely wasted. However, it is possible to reach a point of dininished returns (how likely is Emperor Crush to land a max hit on a ToV geared tank) whoch basically corresponds to 'depends on the level of what you fight'. The lower the level the mobs, the less AC you'll need to have 'sufficient' mitigation.

Personally I feel banded lands in a great sweetspot of attainability, affordablility, efficiency and convenience. Just wear it until you find another item that downgrades neither weight nor AC (bronze doesn't fit this meteic).

Wenai
11-01-2019, 11:14 AM
How about this. Bronze for Visual Slots to look like a baller. Banded for all others? That is my plan at least.

Gustoo
11-01-2019, 11:30 AM
I think bronze arms, BP, legs

Banded everwhere else.

Dwarven work boots obviously.

Jimjam
11-01-2019, 11:48 AM
How about this. Bronze for Visual Slots to look like a baller. Banded for all others? That is my plan at least.

Obviously appearance > all.

I remember on my blue monk I'd get invites to groups if I wore full bristle silk (cloth stats, looks like velious monk). Whereas if I wore my MR gear (which largely had a cloth look, but better stats over all) I'd be refused despite having objectively better equipment.

Your dress needs to have the right appearance for the job you want to have.