PDA

View Full Version : Naming tips for new characters

Zalora
10-25-2019, 02:03 PM
Since a lot of people are starting new characters on Green (everyone), I just wanted to give a public service reminder on some helpful tips for naming your character!

A common name may imply seniority but unique names imply identity.
Its easy to get caught up in wanting a common name like Shadow, Legolas or Sephiroth since they're so hard to get, but it's the name you come up with yourself that makes you YOU in the game. Try coming up with an RP name no one else may want. You'll find that people remember you a lot more.

It's not just what your name sounds like, it's also what it LOOKS like.
Your name is essentially just a label that appears over your head and in a window. For this reason, a good name is one that is elegant to look at with aesthetic letter arrangement. For example, "Zalora" is an ok name because a capital Z is pronounced, the l in the middle is a tent pole and the vowels don't repeat. It's also not too long or too short. "Illura" is not a good name because there's too many similar-looking consonants, even if it sounds ok when said.

Keep in mind surnames
Will your character have a last name? How does it fit in with your first name? The two names should go well together or not go at all.
*A real-lifename (Victor) sounds good with a real-life surname (Victor Bain), a descriptive surname (Victor Strange) or an analogous name (Victor Vargas).
*Names that involve titles or descriptions (Juggler, Princess) sound good with first/normal names as surnames (Juggler Joe, Princess Kate) or distinctions (Juggler Supreme, Princess Slayer).
*RP names (Kendrith) should have descriptive rp surnames (Kendrith Steelbane), normal surname (Kendrith Bain) or one-syllable RP name (Kendrith Kai). Avoid using multiple-syllable RP names as a surname since RP first names are already too esoteric and will make the full name feel random.
*If your character is named after an existing character with one name (Sephiroth) or you don't have a surname already in mind, it's probably best to not have one. Sometimes less is more.

Dont bother with joke first names
You will be playing Everquest a very long time and jokes get old fast. You want your place in this community to have some semblance of personal identity, not a cringey pun. Also, joke first names tend to involve multiple words which don't look good without spaces.

DO bother with joke first+last names
Jokes that tie in with a surname (Salty Pretzel) are creative, show effort and add color to the world. Assuming they aren't cringe (Istab Yourface, etc).

Names are very important and you should spend some time to think about what yours is going to be. I hope some of these tips help you on your journeys. :D

Cen
10-25-2019, 02:16 PM
Centh D'Gree was half lore half gag name.

Its totally a dark elf name, but its obviously a reference to Nth degree.. And it followed my 5 letter Cen naming thing too.

bricke75
10-25-2019, 02:16 PM
Dont make names like Illiliil

Madbad
10-25-2019, 04:16 PM
Illijivwermn

Izmael
10-25-2019, 04:51 PM
Most auto-suggested EQ names make me cringe so hard.

Tiliuaieueien etc.

Danger
10-25-2019, 04:53 PM
https://i.imgur.com/bbU4fq4.png

kotton05
10-25-2019, 04:58 PM
I do the opposite ofOP