PDA

View Full Version : Shadow Knight main?

Zalora
10-24-2019, 01:23 PM
I want to play a Shadow Knight on Green. I hear they are gear dependent. Is this a good idea for a first character?

Really not looking forward to making a tank macro for groups where I have say "Sorry, my gear is bad. Please be patient."

Deathrydar
10-24-2019, 01:25 PM
I strongly doubt anyone is going to refuse a tank due to gear on a fresh server as EVERYONE will be in the same boat.

That being said, Shadow Knight is, in my opinion, the best tank in classic! They get aggro the quickest.

Yes they are gear dependant, but gearing up while grouping is easier than grouping up while there are no groups (the scenario if you level one up after launch)

Aaramis
10-24-2019, 01:28 PM
If Green beta was any indication of things, there were players churning out banded on day 2.

So melee are actually in a relatively good spot.
It's just their dps that will initially suck, but the SK actually has an advantage here in their spells helping out.

Fammaden
10-24-2019, 01:28 PM
Too hard, I suggest a halfling druid.

solleks
10-24-2019, 01:30 PM
ya banded is really strong u can wear banded and some rings at level 50 be killin it.. any melee is fine people. you could probably use netted to level 30 and a combine sword

Nevard
10-24-2019, 01:35 PM
I played SK DE on live and never had any issues with getting a group. They loved the fact that I was main tank and puller for the group.

Rang
10-24-2019, 01:40 PM
great group tank with one of the best abilities in the game: feign death. they suffer an xp penalty and aren't top end raid tanks (if that matters to you)

Tecmos Deception
10-24-2019, 01:43 PM
I want to play a Shadow Knight on Green. I hear they are gear dependent. Is this a good idea for a first character?

Really not looking forward to making a tank macro for groups where I have say "Sorry, my gear is bad. Please be patient."

Man. Old-timers are coming out of the woodwork for green. I haven't seen your name on here in years!

Caledore
10-24-2019, 01:46 PM
In addition to being a solid tank, SK have some great QoL features. Invisibility and Feign Death make travel easy. Hide means you can AFK indefinitely if you want. And you get Infravision at 22; useful if you go Human/Erudite.

El-Hefe
10-24-2019, 01:48 PM
Do it! SKs are rad.

akagami
10-24-2019, 01:49 PM
Don't be lazy and stupid.

I remember one tank complaining around Agnarr or Coirnav launch (one of the fresher TLPs) that others were criticizing his gear, but dude was like level 38 in Lguk and still wearing leather/ragged armor. Still very early in the server, but like day 5-10 now, and he could have easily bought a banded set by that time.

Don't leave any slots empty and focus on getting ringmail/banded/bronze in every slot after level 25 and you'll be good to go.

Gustoo
10-24-2019, 01:54 PM
All classes are good in this game.

Bardp1999
10-24-2019, 01:57 PM
I played a DE SK on Blue up to level 59 and it was one of the best experiences I have had on P99. Albiet I was using Velious raid gear, Fungi, CoF, and things of that nature. Playing a tank or healer is rarely ever a bad choice as they are the cores of any group. People will only be able to pet stomp shit for so long before they need another player to absorb some damage. Plus in Kunark they get really cool clickies.

Will you ever be able to tank AoW? No. In any 5 man situation you can be a perfectly fine tank and in my opinion SKs are the best pullers in the game (eat shit monk).

Also, on Green people's ideas of monk tanking are going to be shattered. They are literally the worst tanks in the game outside of wizards while leveling up naked. With a fungi and high ratio weapons? sure. but thats not going to be the case.

Danger
10-24-2019, 02:02 PM
SK is the patrician's class.

drackgon
10-24-2019, 02:31 PM
I am rolling ORGE SK on Green. They are one of 3 real tanks in game. And on Green will be the best at holding agro.. Plus better then warrior at pulling IE FD. They get plenty are imo wayyy better then warrior tanking(I play War on Blue). Warriors won't ahve the proc wps until SSoY. So SK will be amazing at holding agro.

Green is perfect time to play what you want.. So don't listen to others who say what is right or wrong. Play what you want.

And as always feel free to find me in game on green to group up!

oldhead
10-24-2019, 02:37 PM
ya banded is really strong u can wear banded and some rings at level 50 be killin it.. any melee is fine people. you could probably use netted to level 30 and a combine sword

On the TLPs people did banded until Planar replacement.

wildstar
10-24-2019, 03:04 PM
I've only really leveled necros up, i guess I could try something different. SK it is. Lmao

Chortles Snort|eS
10-24-2019, 03:28 PM
SK is the patrician's class.

Graventhel
10-24-2019, 05:02 PM
Play one as your first main if you want to truly experience what Green has to offer.

Master Roshi
10-24-2019, 05:09 PM
SK will be a great grp tank, but you will be useless in raiding and lackluster in farming. However, you will look bad-ass with Darkforge armor eventually.

FroglokIRL
10-24-2019, 06:14 PM
Banded can take you to planar in classic np. Banded can be made hours into a new server so there will be folks providing that service quickly. I'd be surprised if by level 20 you can't find a banded supplier, and likely much sooner.

Bazia
10-24-2019, 06:20 PM
SK will be useless in raiding

sk's are great pullers for raid content if enough monks arent available or are undergeared

Gustoo
10-24-2019, 06:32 PM
All monks are undergeared in vanilla.

Still best class

Danth
10-24-2019, 06:42 PM
With only 90 per cent rezzes available--at best--I'm perfectly happy to let that Monk do the pulling and eat multiple deaths. That repeated 10% nick adds up after awhile, to say nothing of lower levels with worse rezzes.

Danth

TheDudeAbides
10-24-2019, 10:26 PM
SK will be a great grp tank, but you will be useless in raiding and lackluster in farming. However, you will look bad-ass with Darkforge armor eventually.

SKs and Paladins will be able to main tank all Classic raid content

Warriors are going to have a hard time unless they abuse a bag of tricks

tripbunny
10-24-2019, 10:39 PM

Whoa, girls play this game too?

Master Roshi
10-25-2019, 12:18 AM
SKs and Paladins will be able to main tank all Classic raid content

Warriors are going to have a hard time unless they abuse a bag of tricks

When does Def disc come into game?

TheDudeAbides
10-25-2019, 12:42 AM
When does Def disc come into game?

At least a year

Warriors are not optimal tanks in Classic. Yes they can take a beating, but the way raiding will play out getting aggro quickly and holding it is the primary tank stat. Raid mobs go down quick with only 32k HP. SKs are simply better than warriors at grabbing aggro and they can do it from range with a cheap quick cast spell. Disease cloud has a faster cast time than any other tank aggro generating spell IIRC.

Don't get me wrong. I love warriors. I have one on blue with decent gear and once disciplines come into their own and raid bosses become curb stompers they are the only viable raid tank, but that is a long way away.

That's why Warriors are the lowest on the poll for potential class selections - tied with Wizards. If you want to MT a raid in Classic, don't roll a warrior. Roll an Ogre SK because the class has access to the beefiest races. Paladin race choice for tanking is somewhat lacking and Flash of Light needs to be cast when the mob is in your face. Stun is better, but the casting time isn't as good as Disease Cloud.

With Good Healing - SK is best Classic Raid Tank

With Bad Healing - Paladin best Classic Raid Tank (LOH)

If they don't fix Soulfire Ogre SK > ALL

DMN
10-25-2019, 12:55 AM
sk's are great pullers for raid content if enough monks arent available or are undergeared

Monk also won't have eyes of zom either, while SKs will have their pets.

joradthepally
10-25-2019, 01:26 AM
My plan for my Ogre SK... get as much lizard meat and as many lizard tails as possible by lvl 2

-hit oggok for turn ins for raw-hide and loads of rusty 2 handed sword -> sharpen all of the rusty weapons I got equipping 1 tarnished 2 handed sword (1 one shot most lizard broodlings) -> repeat step 1 and 2 until lvl 4 saving up as much plat as I can

-get group at lizard camps to get 3 scout fifes (the flute looking things that the scouts drop)

-hit oggok for more turn ins and get my upgraded tunic buy a "Long Sword" and Round Shield as the dps output will be greater with 6/29 than 9/48 (long sword costs about 12plat 7gold and shield costs 1plat 9gold~) you could save up for a two handed sword but honestly having that extra 6 ac from shield will do until you can make a forged two handed sword

-throw all extra plat into blacksmithing to get full set of banded by the time I hit uguk

-from there it should be pretty self explanatory

now I have made my plan harder to achieve because every one rolling ogre sk can follow my template lol....

oldhead
10-25-2019, 02:21 AM
My plan for my Ogre SK... get as much lizard meat and as many lizard tails as possible by lvl 2

-hit oggok for turn ins for raw-hide and loads of rusty 2 handed sword -> sharpen all of the rusty weapons I got equipping 1 tarnished 2 handed sword (1 one shot most lizard broodlings) -> repeat step 1 and 2 until lvl 4 saving up as much plat as I can

-get group at lizard camps to get 3 scout fifes (the flute looking things that the scouts drop)

-hit oggok for more turn ins and get my upgraded tunic buy a "Long Sword" and Round Shield as the dps output will be greater with 6/29 than 9/48 (long sword costs about 12plat 7gold and shield costs 1plat 9gold~) you could save up for a two handed sword but honestly having that extra 6 ac from shield will do until you can make a forged two handed sword

-throw all extra plat into blacksmithing to get full set of banded by the time I hit uguk

-from there it should be pretty self explanatory

now I have made my plan harder to achieve because every one rolling ogre sk can follow my template lol....

I never Blacksmiths before. How much plat do you think it will take to make banded?

Jimjam
10-25-2019, 02:39 AM
100-200 to skill up and make the first set combined.

Chubba
10-25-2019, 03:13 AM
I'll be going main as a Troll SK, I have a feeling that tanks will be quite under represented so come time for groupings you won't have a whole lot of trouble (particularly if you are good and make a name for yourself).

Certainly it will be tougher going than say a necromancer, mage, enchanter but.. just depends on what you enjoy I suppose :)