PDA

View Full Version : Game Mechanics: non-classic F9 camera modes and mouse-wheel behavior

soronil
10-16-2019, 03:34 PM
Currently 3rd person is "OP" and makes classic less difficult due to increased situational awareness. It was much more difficult to use at launch

Mousewheel zoom i think everyone knows did not exist in our timeline and needs to go away. not sure how difficult it is to effectively break that on the client side.

The next two f9 modes (overhead and chase) are also much more powerful than they were in classic:

September 25, 2001 3:00 am
third-person camera modes (overhead and chase). They will work similarly to first-person mouselook (i.e. your character's heading will change when you move the mouse left or right, the left and right movement keys will cause your player to strafe, and the camera angle will pitch up or down when you move the mouse forward or back). These changes should make those first two third-person camera modes more useful.

To summarize the changes:
First person -> remove mousewheel (introduced outside of our timeline)
overhead -> heading does not change using mouselook. mouselook+left/right movement does cause strafing (introduced september 2001)
chase -> same as overhead. Also does not change camera angle angle when mouselooking up and down (introduced september 2001)

I know that since these are client side, some (or all) of these may be difficult to implement. Just wondering if we can get a "yes" "eventually" or "never" answer on these so we can quit talking about it

edit:
Secets mentioned maybe helping with this here:
https://www.project1999.com/forums/s...&postcount=116
Sounds like something I'll cook up this weekend and submit for Green.

I know exactly the situation this is referencing. Would be great to have it era locked.

soronil
10-16-2019, 05:00 PM
Slight correction: Chase mode already does not change camera angles when mouselook+up/down... but mouselook+left/right does cause character to change heading, which I believe is the 2001 behavior that is important to nurf (i.e. what makes this mode "too good" to be classic)

Tyronius of Midnight
10-16-2019, 06:52 PM
At the request of Soronil, I made a quick video showing how the camera views worked in Trilogy.

The top right box is a keystroke display. Starting from first person as view 1, camera view 2 and 3 are both restricted to only up/down and back/forward. View 4 and 5 seem to be the same thing.

EQ Trilogy Camera Behavior
(https://youtu.be/wylVS2OVcaM)

Danth
10-16-2019, 06:54 PM
Thanks Tyronius. Note also that the client you're using is from AFTER changes were made to make the third person views more useful than their original versions, which were nigh-useless for anything but taking screenshots. Depending on the view mode used camera tracking when moving can be kind of funky too.

Danth