PDA

View Full Version : i dunno, the beta pop is kinda pathetic

Kanuvan
10-14-2019, 02:27 AM
I hope people are just holding off, but those 2k numbers people were talking about doesnt really seem likely if only around 200 are actually hyped enough to play on beta, sry to play devils advocate but green might be more close knit than we think

Trollhide
10-14-2019, 02:38 AM
https://youtu.be/4uBpLDMWgPc?t=96

Niedar
10-14-2019, 02:43 AM
Why do you think anyone would be hyped to play on a beta for two weeks and have their progress wiped for a game they have been playing since 1999.

Quinas
10-14-2019, 02:44 AM
TBH I have played the Beta but am worried about spoiling myself with the 10x exp mod.

I am playing mainly to assist with bug reports but don't blame people not wanting to ruin the real launch for themselves.

Graventhel
10-14-2019, 03:09 AM
Why would anyone spend any real amount of time on the beta? This isn't a new product. We all know what we are getting.

omgmo
10-14-2019, 04:19 AM
I've spent quite a bit of time on Beta, and I've probably seen 100 people create toons in Everfrost for every 1 that levels high enough to head to Blackburrow. People are getting on beta but not hanging around.

I still think it will be very packed at launch day.

DMN
10-14-2019, 04:27 AM
How many people you think would be playing on blue or any other p99 server if it was being wiped weekly?

Baler
10-14-2019, 05:38 AM
I probably wont play the beta simply because it's going to be wiped before green launch.

Indecisive
10-14-2019, 06:09 AM
I logged in mostly to test how I want things at launch. Where I want my windows, which chat bars I want to keep clear or make solid, and how to set up my key-binds. Was able to keep almost everything functionally the same as when I had two hotbars, with just a few minor changes.

Pretty stoked for the 25th, but don't have any desire to actually participate in the beta with launch so close.

Hoppkins_Wytchfinder
10-14-2019, 06:20 AM
Theres only so much Nek forest anyone can take (knowing they will be doing it all over again so soon)

zodium
10-14-2019, 06:27 AM
I hope people are just holding off, but those 2k numbers people were talking about doesnt really seem likely if only around 200 are actually hyped enough to play on beta, sry to play devils advocate but green might be more close knit than we think

turns out 1.8k of those 2k are really just hype for manastones, guises and other legacy items they plan to use on Blue and have zero interest in simply experiencing a ~True Classic Server~ that will be wiped

Sinistria
10-14-2019, 06:39 AM
I logged in mostly to test how I want things at launch. Where I want my windows, which chat bars I want to keep clear or make solid, and how to set up my key-binds. Was able to keep almost everything functionally the same as when I had two hotbars, with just a few minor changes.

This.
+ i want to check out some classes wich is easier with the 10% exp boost.

When Server goes live... i see them already in my mind swarming out of city gates:

Just facts
10-14-2019, 06:41 AM
turns out 1.8k of those 2k are really just hype for manastones, guises and other legacy items they plan to use on Blue and have zero interest in simply experiencing a ~True Classic Server~ that will be wiped

/This, plus it's fun to lol at all the unclassic features that will is added to the green because they don't know where alot of classic information is stored still.
Green is nothing other than a way to get removed items.
Once they are removed the accounts that looted all items will go inactive waiting for the merge.
Kinda funny that the staff would open up such a large market for RMT with the merge.

Llandris
10-14-2019, 06:56 AM
Were you around for velious beta? We had to shut down blue so players would beta test it.

Aaramis
10-14-2019, 06:57 AM
I logged on for a few hours last night just to see what I was getting into.

Played a few classes to test out the UI, newb zones, etc.

As others have mentioned, we all know what we're getting in to. We just wanted to see how things were going to play with Classic ruleset so we can better plan our characters.

Whirled
10-14-2019, 07:14 AM
Made a gnome mage and was able to train meditate @ lv2. Wiki says lv4 to get meditate. Not game breaking by any means, but still tad wonky. Hope all goes well with testing for every one.

Deathrydar
10-14-2019, 07:16 AM
Made a gnome mage and was able to train meditate @ lv2. Wiki says lv4 to get meditate. Not game breaking by any means, but still tad wonky. Hope all goes well with testing for every one.

I believe it has always been like that. You can train in it, but it will not level up until your class can actually use it.

fastboy21
10-14-2019, 07:26 AM
Why do you think anyone would be hyped to play on a beta for two weeks and have their progress wiped for a game they have been playing since 1999.

Some of us are actually trying to test it to help find any bugs that might still be squashed before launch...you know, like a beta test.

Chortles Snort|eS
10-14-2019, 07:28 AM
Led a group in uguk
We haD a blAst

Deathrydar
10-14-2019, 07:28 AM
The beta before the 2009 launch was kinda pathetic too. In fact, out of all of the classic WoW servers I played on for the past ten plus years the beta was pathetic too.

When you ask people to actually use their own time to find bugs, with no reward in the end outside of actually helping the community, most people do not partake. That is why I am amazed at how ungrateful some of this population is towards the developers of this server. It has been around for over ten years and they still try to make changes to keep it classic and stay on track with the original vision/mission!

That is a rare thing indeed!

Whirled
10-14-2019, 07:30 AM
I believe it has always been like that. You can train in it, but it will not level up until your class can actually use it.

oh.. well, I guess pour out a 40oz for my lost training point.

Funny how some things are just that deep seated errors in game; like Bards starting with a Taunt + Bash hotkey. /shrug

Jimjam
10-14-2019, 07:46 AM
The beta before the 2009 launch was kinda pathetic too. In fact, out of all of the classic WoW servers I played on for the past ten plus years the beta was pathetic too.

When you ask people to actually use their own time to find bugs, with no reward in the end outside of actually helping the community, most people do not partake. That is why I am amazed at how ungrateful some of this population is towards the developers of this server. It has been around for over ten years and they still try to make changes to keep it classic and stay on track with the original vision/mission!

That is a rare thing indeed!

Its because many players don't consider themselves volunteers, instead service users.

Jimjam
10-14-2019, 07:50 AM
I logged on for a few hours last night just to see what I was getting into.

Played a few classes to test out the UI, newb zones, etc.

As others have mentioned, we all know what we're getting in to. We just wanted to see how things were going to play with Classic ruleset so we can better plan our characters.

I did similar, looked at the impact of starting stats at low level* and checked out for a few quests to ensure classic.

*warrior: min stamina (75) and max (150) is the difference between 32 and 38 hp. Min str (75 again iirc) and max str (150) was 22 to 90 attack. Min (75) vs max agi (100?) was 10 vs 13 ac.

Strength a clear winner at early levels. As expansions roll put the differences between starting stats narrow further so no need to worry about high level consequences.

kotton05
10-14-2019, 07:52 AM
Hard cringe at OP

Gustoo
10-14-2019, 08:41 AM
I did similar, looked at the impact of starting stats at low level* and checked out for a few quests to ensure classic.

*warrior: min stamina (75) and max (150) is the difference between 32 and 38 hp. Min str (75 again iirc) and max str (150) was 22 to 90 attack. Min (75) vs max agi (100?) was 10 vs 13 ac.

Strength a clear winner at early levels. As expansions roll put the differences between starting stats narrow further so no need to worry about high level consequences.

That strength gap lasts forever I remember being genuinely disturbed about how hard hitting ogres were including shamans vs my ranger all through the mid levels.

Lojik
10-14-2019, 08:47 AM
It's a beta to find bugs etc. Most have already been worked out on blue. For me personally, I didn't play until December 1999 so I'm not sure how much use I would be trying to find things particular to the launch era. I will log on later this week when I have time though, but I think it's pretty obvious that a beta pop won't come close to matching the launch pop. 200 on a beta actually seems pretty good.

Tecmos Deception
10-14-2019, 09:26 AM
the beta pop is kinda pathetic

Is it? 3-5% of green's likely peak player counts on the test server is low? Do you think wow had 400,000 people beta testing an expansion 24/7 back when it was getting 12 million peak concurrent users? Lol.

Fammaden
10-14-2019, 09:32 AM
I actually hope it IS much less than the projections on release day. Not sure this population indicates that but I guess we are about to find out soon enough.

kotton05
10-14-2019, 09:40 AM
A huge pop in classic isn’t fun btw

Deathrydar
10-14-2019, 09:41 AM

^^

Jimjam
10-14-2019, 09:44 AM

I dunno, more people getting into petty arguments and feuds with each other is what eq is made of!

Tecmos Deception
10-14-2019, 09:53 AM
That strength gap lasts forever I remember being genuinely disturbed about how hard hitting ogres were including shamans vs my ranger all through the mid levels.

I kinda forgot how big a deal this was back in the day. Barb vs gnome rogue, or wood elf vs ogre warrior, that shit was ridiculous when so much of your damage contribution comes from strength since you're swinging a 5/25 weapon and only getting 30 points of stat buffs or something.

I tested a +25 stam, +5 strength gnome rogue (65 strength) vs. a +25 str, +5 stam barbarian rogue (128 strength). Both with a 3/24 dagger.

Gnome got in 22 swings at the first level 1 monster I saw - 11 miss, 5 hits for 1, 2 hits for 2, 2 hits for 3, 1 hit for 4. I died with the spiderling at like 30-40% still.

Barbarian needed 2 level 1 ice goblin whelps to get in the 18 swings (then a level 2 respawned and killed him promptly and I quit). 11 misses, 1 hit for 4, 1 hit for 5, and 5 hits for 6.

Tiny sample size. 2.5x as much damage per swing is insane and probably not ALL that far from a big sample.

Deathrydar
10-14-2019, 09:56 AM
I dunno, more people getting into petty arguments and feuds with each other is what eq is made of!

I agree, but this game wasn't made to have too many people in any zone, let alone the starter zones. Modern games like WoW can handle 20 players in a single newbie zone cause they have the size and the MOBs to support it.

EverQuest struggles with enough MOBs in the zone when there are more than 5 players in a starter zone. It continues like that forever too, so it doesn't really get better. I like more players, as it makes for a more fun environment, but too many is just too many.

Kanuvan
10-14-2019, 10:00 AM

corpses everywhere, people being forced to level in abandoned zones because high ZEM zones are overpopulated, always people to socialize with

no, youre wrong, i dont care about the greedy min maxers who just want a camp all to themselves, i only play eq1 for the social aspect

i just hope these like minded people show up and its not just the blue riff raff coming over

Verityn
10-14-2019, 10:02 AM
I leveled to 13 on my rogue (Moxima) and grouped with more than a few people who haven't logged in over a decade. That kinda leads me to believe that a not so insignificant number people might be coming to green who never played on blue.

kotton05
10-14-2019, 10:11 AM
corpses everywhere, people being forced to level in abandoned zones because high ZEM zones are overpopulated, always people to socialize with

no, youre wrong, i dont care about the greedy min maxers who just want a camp all to themselves, i only play eq1 for the social aspect

i just hope these like minded people show up and its not just the blue riff raff coming over

Typical beta talking out their asS. I’m not wrong you’re just on the spectrum and prolly chase butterflies outside when the server is down.

Shrubwise
10-14-2019, 10:11 AM
@OP

You were not around for launch of Red, were you? They had a Red beta and a pathetic amount of players actually logged in to test the server. There was a public plea for folks to just log in and test out the server, but nobody wanted to invest their precious time. Then, the served dropped, and it had kinks (which could have been ironed out if players had logged in) and everyone complained.
The irony was delicious, absolutely delicious.

Jimjam
10-14-2019, 10:23 AM
Beta testing has skill sets, and in a game like eq how are you even meant to identify how to start, what 'needs fixing' or how to report that?

Jadian
10-14-2019, 10:30 AM
What a dumb post and I hope you feel stupid for making it.

Veeshan31
10-14-2019, 10:46 AM
I leveled to 13 on my rogue (Moxima) and grouped with more than a few people who haven't logged in over a decade. That kinda leads me to believe that a not so insignificant number people might be coming to green who never played on blue.

I grouped with you in blackburrow, i was punchin. GG!

Gandite
10-14-2019, 11:00 AM
I grouped with you in blackburrow, i was punchin. GG!

Grouped with both of you last night I was Python. :D

Cen
10-14-2019, 11:41 AM

Hey what up I was Cenro :p

Cen
10-14-2019, 11:42 AM
I really liked the qeynos experience with everyone. Ill either be a human ranger again at release or a human cleric or Paladin. The redbeard human looks awesome for fashionquest lol

Verityn
10-14-2019, 12:34 PM

Hey guys! That was a lot of fun for sure. We owned Blackburrow except for the few times it owned us. =)

When green goes live I'll be playing the same exact character so feel free to hit me up.

Deathrydar
10-14-2019, 02:10 PM
And this is why I will play on green! Look at these friendships that have already been created by beta...

omgmo
10-14-2019, 03:27 PM
I played in BB with you guys as well - Fimbul the Shaman.

Tenagra
10-14-2019, 03:31 PM
I'm mega-hyped for Green as are a few friends of mine and none of us are touching the beta.

uygi
10-14-2019, 03:34 PM
Beta good opportunity to familiarize self with how hard P99 has gotten in last 10 years. Answered my UI questions. Opportunity to do a dry run of some early things I intend to do on Green. Chance to poke around for bugs. A+ way to spend a little time, but would be very irritating to hit it HARD and then have to do it all over again.

Honestly, the Live Test server never had a huge population either, even though they did get to keep their stuff.

Gandite
10-14-2019, 03:47 PM

I added a bunch of you to friends list hope to see some people around later. I'd like to get some more xp. I'm in WK dying to grizzlies and bandits solo.

Verityn
10-14-2019, 04:40 PM

Hey Fimbul! Thanks for putting up with all us Qeynos humans and great job healing. I really wish it was live.

frantz256255
10-14-2019, 04:57 PM
I have a issue, they will destroy all the characters on green server the october 25 th ?

Trollhide
10-14-2019, 05:30 PM
I have a issue, they will destroy all the characters on green server the october 25 th ?
Yes, if not before then.

Tenderizer
10-14-2019, 05:42 PM
I hope people are just holding off, but those 2k numbers people were talking about doesnt really seem likely if only around 200 are actually hyped enough to play on beta

not many people played the velious beta but the numbers at launch were impressive until it died down. I'm sure the initial numbers may surprise some people.

frantz256255
10-14-2019, 06:09 PM
Yes, if not before then.

Damn !!!!!

Hoppkins_Wytchfinder
10-15-2019, 03:52 AM
I take it back. I played Beta last night and its hard as shit. Spiderlings and moss snakes hit like tomahawk missles <_<

I also forgot spiders and beetles were social.

Sigh :)

Byrjun
10-15-2019, 09:36 AM

P99 had like 5 people on the beta before it released 10 years ago.

When it launched officially, there were so many people playing that Nilbog's server couldn't handle the population and the game was effectively unplayable until Rogean swooped in and migrated everything over to his servers.

kotton05
10-15-2019, 09:37 AM
Kanuvan just talks out his ass he has no clue glad others are reaffirming it

Vidar
10-15-2019, 11:54 AM

No one knew the beta was coming out. Plus like also stated the progress is gonna be wiped so why play. I have been not playing blue for almost a year cuz i knew a new server was going to come out eventually. now im not playing the beta cuz i dont want to spoil my dinner =) Gonna wait till release.

Jimjam
10-15-2019, 01:36 PM
OP CONFIRMED PATHETIC BETA.

Hope this helps.

Videri
10-15-2019, 01:39 PM

Well, yes. Green Server is in the beta testing phase, not the "head start" phase.

Don't say "The Green server will be wiped on Oct 25." Say "The Green server starts on Oct 25."