Jibartik
10-11-2019, 08:46 PM
I wish I could say its not far off, but its not that far off.. :o

Jibartik
10-11-2019, 08:48 PM
Also Ass is a great key.

Vizax_Xaziv
10-11-2019, 08:50 PM
Oh a Chortles' Thread? Move along, folks!

hillgiantchamp
10-11-2019, 09:29 PM
Scimitar of the Mistwalker on that ranger? Sexy

Jibartik
10-11-2019, 09:44 PM
Scimitar of the Mistwalker on that ranger? Sexy

Those brave souls will have a fun couple a months. :D

sciception
10-12-2019, 06:39 AM
I am glad to see that the staff isn't trying to take the fun out of the game. There are so many threads where people are trying to clip the wings of certain classes by focusing on the negatives. Most of those issues were fixed within weeks, if not days, of the official launch date and should be considered more of a late Beta patch than the developers intentions. This UI has the feel of Classic EQ without the horse blinders that limited the peripheral vision of the player. Let's not forget the box monitors we were limited to in the late 90s. With all the technological advances made over the last 20 years, such as wide screen in this case, it only makes sense to accommodate for these advancements. Nicely done!

Chortles Snort|eS
10-12-2019, 10:36 AM
Me 2

Palemoon
10-12-2019, 01:32 PM
I am glad to see that the staff isn't trying to take the fun out of the game. There are so many threads where people are trying to clip the wings of certain classes by focusing on the negatives. Most of those issues were fixed within weeks, if not days, of the official launch date and should be considered more of a late Beta patch than the developers intentions. This UI has the feel of Classic EQ without the horse blinders that limited the peripheral vision of the player. Let's not forget the box monitors we were limited to in the late 90s. With all the technological advances made over the last 20 years, such as wide screen in this case, it only makes sense to accommodate for these advancements. Nicely done!

Perhaps, but mousewheel is in another category. EQmac that went to planes of power did not even have that. Its far outside the scope of p99 timeline and would be good to see Green disable it.

The EQ world was built for 1st person perspective from a immersion standpoint, and from a gameplay/technique standpoint mousewheel gives more of a advantage tactically than was intended in classic.

Chortles Snort|eS
10-12-2019, 01:34 PM
me b ok with elF FPS agEn

Jimjam
10-12-2019, 01:39 PM

You realise widescreen is actually a detriment in everquest for your field of vision?

JesterMcgee
10-12-2019, 01:54 PM
You realise widescreen is actually a detriment in everquest for your field of vision?

In what way?

Baler
10-12-2019, 02:17 PM
@Rogean @Nilbog @Haynar @staff

REMOVE THE FIND BUTTON.
That is all, Thank You

Wenai
10-12-2019, 02:30 PM
@Rogean @Nilbog @Haynar @staff

REMOVE THE FIND BUTTON.
That is all, Thank You

It will still be there. I can potentially discuss with Rogean how to change the functionality back to being the WHO button. But definitely won’t be there for Green launch sorry.

Baler
10-12-2019, 02:35 PM
It will still be there. I can potentially discuss with Rogean how to change the functionality back to being the WHO button. But definitely won’t be there for Green launch sorry.

I just want it taken off the window like how certain options are no longer even in the options windows.
May not be possible but I figured if they can remove options window text/box why not a button. /shrug

https://i.imgur.com/XvDlbtM.png

Wenai
10-12-2019, 02:37 PM
I just want it taken off the window like how certain options are no longer even in the options windows.
May not be possible but I figured if they can remove options window text/box why not a button. /shrug

The original Velious UI had WHO instead of find. So if we do anything to it, I would prefer to figure out how to change it back to a functional who button. But for now it will remain.

Jibartik
10-12-2019, 03:13 PM
In what way?

The wider you make your resolution, the more top and bottom it cuts off by just scaling up what you see to fill that wider horizontal resolution. This diagram shows the effect:

https://i.imgur.com/prAweFo.png

soronil
10-12-2019, 03:16 PM
In what way?

The horizontal viewport is locked in this game, no matter your aspect ratio. The wider your aspect ratio, the more the game chops off the top and bottom of the world. This effect is more pronounced in 1st person (which green will quasi force with bad/classic3rd person) and I found first person ultrawide unplayable.

Try /viewport 0 0 1920 1080 vs /viewport 240 0 1440 1080 and you can see the diference. You can even put UI elements to the side out of the way.

Deathrydar
10-12-2019, 03:42 PM
Try /viewport 0 0 1920 1080 vs /viewport 240 0 1440 1080 and you can see the diference.

What do you mean, "try" the numbers above? Try them where?

dekova
10-12-2019, 03:49 PM
What do you mean, "try" the numbers above? Try them where?

type it in chat just like you'd type the /who command.

What these folks are getting at is that when you go widescreen with this client, you're not seeing more on the left and right, you're seeing less on the top and bottom.

Deathrydar
10-12-2019, 03:53 PM
type it in chat just like you'd type the /who command.

What these folks are getting at is that when you go widescreen with this client, you're not seeing more on the left and right, you're seeing less on the top and bottom.

I get it. And if that's true, I want to experience it without cutting off the top! Thank you!

Jibartik
10-12-2019, 04:30 PM
Hey guys!

I just solved a blocker that will make you, extremely extremely, nostalgic.

Been trying to solve this for a while, came up with an idea in the shower, and 80% of that idea worked, and that was enough! :)

Just posting because I am extremely over the moon about it. :o

Ok spoilers, I got spellgem holders working when you put spell gems onto the hotbar. This is extremely good news frendos!

EDIT: well it makes me extremely nostalgic lol no promises for you!

dekova
10-12-2019, 04:31 PM
Hey guys!

I just solved a blocker that will make you, extremely extremely, nostalgic.

Been trying to solve this for a while, came up with an idea in the shower, and 80% of that idea worked, and that was enough! :)

Just posting because I am extremely over the moon about it. :o

Cool! Look forward to testing it.

Aescher
10-12-2019, 04:33 PM
I wonder. Will /viewport be functional on green at launch?

Jibartik
10-12-2019, 04:40 PM
Correct me if I am wrong but chagning your resolution is the same as /viewport

Like I figured tha /viewport basically just manually sets your resolutions to whatever you want.

I cant really answer, but yes? or no but idk? (I am just figuring out how to get classic UI art in the game) Not sure what the hacky advantages are to adjusting your /viewport? anyone want to enlighten this basic ass everquest player that is not on your hacky level? :o

dekova
10-12-2019, 04:49 PM
Not quite. Resolution determines pixels in whole UI. Viewport is pixels that the worldview uses. Larger resolution than viewport gives blank area you can drag UI elements.

Chortles Snort|eS
10-12-2019, 04:54 PM
wow dat viewport ish is neat

https://i.imgur.com/d3QzzOZ.jpg

**MacBook Pro 15" screen

sciception
10-12-2019, 04:55 PM
Still better than the blinders of the original UI.

Jibartik
10-12-2019, 04:56 PM
Not quite. Resolution determines pixels in whole UI. Viewport is pixels that the worldview uses. Larger resolution than viewport gives blank area you can drag UI elements.

ahh that's very cool, thanks for explaining how that works I totally get it.

I realize that sounds super sarcastic but it is not :o

Aescher
10-12-2019, 05:10 PM
Correct me if I am wrong but chagning your resolution is the same as /viewport

Like I figured tha /viewport basically just manually sets your resolutions to whatever you want.

I cant really answer, but yes? or no but idk? (I am just figuring out how to get classic UI art in the game) Not sure what the hacky advantages are to adjusting your /viewport? anyone want to enlighten this basic ass everquest player that is not on your hacky level? :o

Well my hacky level isn't that high :cool: I never used /viewport until recently reading about it in these forums. I have video mode set to 1920x1080 which is the native of my 42" lcd tv. I use /viewport 200 1440x1080 to give me a 4:3 ratio view. I then can put my windows outside the view in the black borders. It's easier on my eyes.
https://i.imgur.com/xr8NB9H.jpg

Chortles Snort|eS
10-12-2019, 05:11 PM
dis black bar is growin on meh

Danth
10-12-2019, 05:14 PM

The original UI did not cover any of the rendered game screen, other than when spell effect/buff icons were visible (the effects button toggled them on/off) and the lag meter (also a toggle). The rendered area was modest size, but it was clutter-free.

Note for folks using custom viewport sizes: you do not HAVE to use 4:3 necessarily. It allows any input you want. The narrower the aspect ratio chosen, the more viewable real estate you'll gain at the top and bottom of the screen at the tradeoff of the narrower it'll look on a wide-panel monitor. Try different values and see what you like best.

Danth

Baler
10-12-2019, 05:15 PM
UO did it first
https://i.imgur.com/xAKnrBv.png

Danth
10-12-2019, 05:17 PM
A lot of games in the late 80's and early/mid 90's used those types of "periscope view" UI's. It was a way of keeping rendered space to a minimum and so help out with framerates. EQ was practically the last to do it.

Danth

dekova
10-12-2019, 05:17 PM
If you guys are going to experiment with viewport, something you should be aware of... I find that starting the Viewpoint at any offset other than zero can cause some visual tearing of the ground. If you see that, try setting your viewport to start at 0 0 and see if that clears it up.

Chortles Snort|eS
10-12-2019, 05:37 PM
i guess we need a list of 4:3 resolutions posted please :3

Mblake81
10-12-2019, 06:08 PM
This UI has the feel of Classic EQ without the horse blinders that limited the peripheral vision of the player. Let's not forget the box monitors we were limited to in the late 90s. With all the technological advances made over the last 20 years, such as wide screen in this case, it only makes sense to accommodate for these advancements. Nicely done!

In what way?

The wider you make your resolution, the more top and bottom it cuts off by just scaling up what you see to fill that wider horizontal resolution. This diagram shows the effect:

https://i.imgur.com/prAweFo.png

Because EQ was not created in widescreen format. It was created in 4:3 When you display original EQ on a widescreen monitor it doesn't actually increase your field of vision (adding more to the sides) but caps the top and bottom then stretches the image out to fill, see example below.

EQ is taller than it is wider. So the game was setup with this in mind. Remember most people were not using the mouse to look up and down when EQ released, instead they were using Page Up & Page Down on the number pad. So the way things are displayed takes this into consideration, im sure the developers didn't want to pester people to have to constantly press page up and down.

UI toggled off. Taken in the same spot.

1600x1200 4:3
https://i.imgur.com/LaEqYMY.jpg

2560x1440 16:9
https://i.imgur.com/FIg5Q2C.jpg

What is 4:3 aspect ratio and Cinemascope (other names and techs are gone over). Widescreen was Hollywoods answer to the home television. (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3CgrMsjGk7k&feature=youtu.be)

https://i.imgur.com/Z5M9kyG.jpg

Point: Human vision is much wider than it is tall

Counterpoint: Not at all. The eyes are close together and point in the same direction. It is wider than tall, but not by that much. It also depends on whether you include periphery or just concern yourself with the center of our vision, the latter of which is even more equal in either direction. What is significantly wider than tall is our range of glances, as you mentioned. A lot more interesting stuff happens in the plane of the horizon than in the sky or on the ground, so our view tends to dart around a lot more horizontally. As for why television started out with 4:3, two reasons. Screens were much smaller, so the comparatively wider periphery and glancing around did not play much of a role. Early screens had the entire display area in the center of your field of vision, so near-square displays were a better fit. Second, those old TV tubes require a big vacuum inside, and it simply takes less material to make a square tube strong enough than a wide one. Note that widescreen PC monitors only gained traction once flat-panel displays had already won over the market.

You are misunderstanding, the little view box in the original UI displayed the same screen information (what you see in game) as it did when toggled to full screen 4:3 (square shape).When you display it on a widescreen monitor it is not adding any extra side information. It is stretching the square image to fill. EQ is a square image, your monitor does not change this. Your resolution does not change this.

What widescreen does do for EQ

it adds more space for chat windows, hot bars. Don't let this trick you, you are not seeing anything more in the game, but you are seeing more for the User Interface.

The original UI did not cover any of the rendered game screen, other than when spell effect/buff icons were visible (the effects button toggled them on/off) and the lag meter (also a toggle). The rendered area was modest size, but it was clutter-free.

A lot of games in the late 80's and early/mid 90's used those types of "periscope view" UI's. It was a way of keeping rendered space to a minimum and so help out with framerates. EQ was practically the last to do it.

Danth

Chortles Snort|eS
10-13-2019, 01:37 AM
toLL yA sO

Nirgon
10-13-2019, 02:34 AM
I cant see at night pretty easily without a light source

Baler
10-13-2019, 04:44 AM
I cant see at night pretty easily without a light source

Titanium client.

magusfire24