PDA

View Full Version : Newbie suggestions

choc555
10-11-2019, 10:21 AM
I have known about p99 for a few years and was mildly interested in it. Recently I decided to install it Just for the nostalgia and found myself really excited to play. I haven't played many mmos recently as modern ones feel so lifeless anymore and I can't deal with quest hubs anymore.

My eq knowledge isn't great. I played the game when I was a kid starting in 2000 playing paladin. I always had money problems and only got into raiding after luclin came out. I can only remember certain zones like the Freeport area.

Should I wait for green to come out or just play on blue? Also having trouble deciding a class/race. I certainly don't want pally again. I usually gravitate towards healers and love to help people with buffs and such. However, I will likely play somewhat casually and also maybe at weird hours. I might need to be able to solo and I never played a class that was able to solo at all.

Just looking for any tips or possibly even friends who would like to group up. I will probably play 3 days a week or so, but I won't want to be pressured to level fast.

Baler
10-11-2019, 10:23 AM
wait for green
check out the https://wiki.project1999.com

magusfire24
10-11-2019, 10:25 AM
No problem with playing on blue. Use the wiki and print out any maps you will need. Use blue to get you used to everything again. It is what I am doing.

Make sure you train sense heading and have a hotkey for /loc if you get lost and are about to die, so you can find corpse later.

Something very magical about classic EQ .

Cen
10-11-2019, 11:47 AM
You sound like the player I want to be in this game and I think you should come to Green

bum3
10-11-2019, 12:07 PM
Druid sounds up your alley or shaman. Cleric can solo decently against undead. Cleric and shaman have faster group pickup than druid but solo less effectively.

Graventhel
10-11-2019, 12:15 PM
Play a druid on Green. You can heal, buff, and solo.

Gustoo
10-11-2019, 01:34 PM
Druid on green

Maybe practice on blue and get comfortable with game again, but roll green hard.

There is no question that this is the class for you. Fun times ahead.

choc555
10-11-2019, 08:34 PM
Yeah I was leaning towards druid, just worried their heals won't be good enough and if the poll is at all accurate then they will be the most populated class.

Xallis
10-11-2019, 09:29 PM
Yeah I was leaning towards druid, just worried their heals won't be good enough and if the poll is at all accurate then they will be the most populated class.

Nothing wrong with plentiful druids, it makes it easier for the rest of us to get around. As far as cleric vs druid healing - cleric will always be a little ahead of you but the big difference is complete heal, which they don't get until 39. By that time you will be more than able to solo if needed. With druid DS and regen you're still helpful in a group and should be able to keep up, but you can solo in more places more efficiently than clerics can.

BlackBellamy
10-11-2019, 10:08 PM

Consider Shaman:

+ very desirable in groups
+ solo powerhouse
+ fast travel

- group play repetitive
- gear dependent
- soloing ability develops late

Like all healers/buffers, in group you will sit most of the time, although casting your slow will give you some periodic action. You need good gear to solo well cause you will need your AC/HP and mana pool. Also, soloing is very tough without your pet. Still, at higher levels you can own anything. Also, dog is best pet in game because it's a dog.

Keebz
10-11-2019, 11:21 PM
Consider Shaman:

+ solo powerhouse
+ fast travel

So I have a mid-level Shaman, and he is OK at soloing. Before 34 he was pretty meh at soloing. Granted I don't have insane gear, which you wouldn't on Green anyway.

I'm under the impression Shamans are only great soloers with either:
A) Good gear (expensive / non-existent on Green)
B) Torpor

What say ye shamans of Norrath?

choc555
10-12-2019, 01:19 AM
Consider Shaman:

+ solo powerhouse
+ fast travel

- group play repetitive
- gear dependent
- soloing ability develops late

Like all healers/buffers, in group you will sit most of the time, although casting your slow will give you some periodic action. You need good gear to solo well cause you will need your AC/HP and mana pool. Also, soloing is very tough without your pet. Still, at higher levels you can own anything. Also, dog is best pet in game because it's a dog.

I actually have been tempted to go with shaman but they always seemed like they might be somewhat complicated, so many buffs and slows and debuffs and whatnot. Plus draining your own health is kinda scary to me. Guess I will have to give it some more thought but i suppose I will mostly likely be sticking with druid. However, I dont remember shamans soloing like...at all, I had no idea they were able to.

I kinda always assumed every class was able to do it better than I was though. My pally couldnt kill anything....maybe rogue would be worse I guess

El-Hefe
10-12-2019, 01:39 AM
Play on blue, but keep in mind that it’s just a dry run for the real game that launches October 25th.

Palemoon
10-12-2019, 09:32 AM
So I have a level 18 shaman on red and was soloing last night. In totemic armor and good dropable classic and kunark era gear (no fungi. just stuff like howling harpoon, and mid tier drops from sebilis and what not). So basically very well geared for "classic".

It took my entire manabar to solo a aviak guard (level 18-19ish mobs) and sometimes I still had to run to the zoneline.

The xp was slooooow. Shaman will (better for their own good) be a grouping class on Green! Even with the pet at 34 to make up for the abysmal gear a green shaman will be wearing, it will be sloooow.

Tenlaar
10-12-2019, 09:35 AM
Or maybe people on green won't be trying to solo mobs that are equal or higher level than they are...?

Aaramis
10-12-2019, 09:57 AM
Play a druid on Green. You can heal, buff, and solo.

And Teleport. Don't forget teleports!

$$$.

*edit* - oh, and you can charm animals later too. It's a nice soloing option outside of root rotting.

AbstractVision
10-12-2019, 10:29 AM
I've never known anyone who was unhappy with their druid.

Charming and quad kiting are legit.

Keep in mind if you level him on his own separate account you could have a real life friend or family member play your future alts and you can power level them with the druid.

Port money is nice too when you only have an hour to log on and you want to do something.

BlackBellamy
10-12-2019, 10:37 AM
So I have a mid-level Shaman, and he is OK at soloing. Before 34 he was pretty meh at soloing. Granted I don't have insane gear, which you wouldn't on Green anyway.

I'm under the impression Shamans are only great soloers with either:
A) Good gear (expensive / non-existent on Green)
B) Torpor

What say ye shamans of Norrath?

I wouldn't say they are efficient soloers or farmers. Like if you're looking for exp or plat that's probably not the way to go. But because of their versatile toolbox, they are very good at killing that one thing they need to kill.

Keebz
10-12-2019, 05:33 PM
I wouldn't say they are efficient soloers or farmers. Like if you're looking for exp or plat that's probably not the way to go. But because of their versatile toolbox, they are very good at killing that one thing they need to kill.

So calling the class a "solo powerhouse" might be a bit misleading, especially for new players, who have 0 understanding of that nuance.