PDA

View Full Version : Wiki Changes

Zuultron4000
10-11-2019, 08:52 AM
How will the Wiki change to accommodate both Blue AND green (mob drops, stats, item pricing, etc.)?

Baler
10-11-2019, 09:10 AM
To be decided, will be a lot of work.
Loramin can go into more detail. I know he mentioned some ideas. I think there was even a thread for this already.

Dolalin
10-11-2019, 09:25 AM
Slightly off topic but still related to the thread. I threw all the missing patch notes I've found so far on Loramin's patch history page.

loramin
10-11-2019, 10:47 AM
How will the Wiki change to accommodate both Blue AND green (mob drops, stats, item pricing, etc.)?

Most things will be handled by "era templates (http://wiki.project1999.com/Category:Era_Templates)". These are already used fairly heavily (eg. any time you see "Kunark Era" at the top/right of a page, or a green "Cla" on a spell list), and with Green I expect people will use them a lot more. I also plan to add more "era filtering checkboxes" (like the kind used on the spell lists), to make it so Green players can more easily ignore Kunark/Velious stuff, until it's applicable.

There might also be "patch templates", for stuff that comes out in-between the "eras" (ie. between the releases of new zones). I haven't added them yet because they're not really relevant (we don't know what will go in what patch), and we don't know exactly how patching will work yet.

Unfortunately, the auction tracker and Magelos however I can't fix, because they are custom (PHP) wiki extensions. Or rather I could ... but there's a decent chance I'd lose what little sanity I have left from trying to code in PHP.

Either Ravhin or another PHP programmer could likely do it without any loss of sanity though, and all of Ravhin's stuff is "open source", so anyone can see it by clicking the "Custom Extension Source" link here: http://wiki.project1999.com/utils/wikiUtils.php.

If no one wants to step up for that (which I think would be the most ideal solution) ... we've had at least two external auction tracking sites here in the past (AHungry and P99Tunnel). Someone could always make another, Green only one.

Slightly off topic but still related to the thread. I threw all the missing patch notes I've found so far on Loramin's patch history page.

That is awesome, thanks for doing it! But also ... it's "the wiki's patch history page", not mine :)

Ashenden
10-11-2019, 11:05 AM
My biggest hope is that Equipment By Class (https://wiki.project1999.com/Equipment_By_Class) gets changed so each era is a checkbox or something.

Verityn
10-11-2019, 11:09 AM
I'd like to help with the wiki, but I'm not sure how or if I really should as someone who hasn't played a ton since 2001. If there is perhaps something tedious that needs to get transcribed or transferred then that might be something I could do.

loramin
10-11-2019, 11:44 AM
My biggest hope is that Equipment By Class (https://wiki.project1999.com/Equipment_By_Class) gets changed so each era is a checkbox or something.

I PMed Ravhin about this once (and also about just sort of generalizing that code to be more "API-like", so that wiki gear could have an "item search" page that let you look by era, class, slot, etc. ... maybe even stats). Unfortunately I don't think he has the time.

But again, his code is freely available, and I also don't think it would be that hard to do. Most of what's needed is already there, so we're just talking about parsing a little more info, adding some more filters based on that info, and maybe adding a database index or two, if needed.

If any PHP programmer out there is willing to take a stab at the server/API part (the media wiki software is free so you can easily make your own "dev environment"), I'll happily peer review it, write any front-end code, beg Rogean to add it for us, etc.

Basically I'll do anything except write the PHP code :)

Ashenden
10-11-2019, 01:15 PM
Cool. I'll ping on discords I'm in during primetime to try and bug people in to doing it.