PDA

View Full Version : Seeking Basic Pointers

Leifer7inches
10-07-2019, 04:41 PM
Greetings P99 community,

I started my first toon in November 1999 and played a HIE Paladin. I loved the class and have played one off and on for years and years. I started one on most of the TLP servers over the last few years. I am going to be dipping my toe into Green when it comes out this month.

I think I understand how different P99 Green is going to be compared to the TLPs. I installed and then logged onto blue a few days ago to check things out and I was reminded just how harsh the game was back then. I started a halfling druid and monkeyed around in Misty Thicket for a few hours. No maps, no compass, one hotbar, total fog and of course corpse runs if you wanted to not lose that firebeetle eye you had in inventory. I imagine there will be even less QoL features on Green than are on the TLP's (like tab targeting & spell book staring).

I'd really like to eventually play a Paladin again, but I realize how incredibly difficult it is going to be starting fresh out of the gate. (No spells until lvl 9, untwinked, no Krono purchasing convenience to make up for less playtime (since I work 40+ hrs a week). Huge XP climb (compared to TLP) as well as the Paladin XP penalty. Complete lack of tanking gear for probably months. I'm sure the list goes on and on.

My thought is to try and play a class that will help me eventually get a new Paladin started out in a few months. So, I would suspect this new toon will not get past maybe level 35 or so before I decide to switch to the Paladin. What is possibly the better class to play from 1-35ish that will help get a new Paladin started? Can you even safely pass items or plat to an alt on the same account without a shared bank?

Also, I would really appreciate any pointers or tips or just general info and playstyle suggestions coming over from TLP and what I might find the most difficult to adjust to. Thank you for reading the post and special thanks to anyone kind enough to share any constructive pointers to this new P99 player.

Danth
10-07-2019, 04:47 PM
You want to make a Druid. Doesn't need much gear, especially at low levels, and it'll be hugely useful as a mid-level alt even after you switch to the Paladin. You transfer items either by drop-transferring or by having another player (preferably someone you know and trust for obvious reasons) hand off the items. I've never played "TLP" so I can't help you there. From your first couple paragraphs it looks like you have a pretty good idea what to expect here.

That being said, if you love the Paladin, play it. That's the class I started as when P1999 first opened ten years ago. Playing as a melee on a fresh server isn't all that bad, especially if you aren't in a mad rush to level. Banded armor is available almost immediately, and if you aren't at the bleeding edge bronze will be available as well by the time you get to wanting it. Don't feel like you have to play a character you may not like instead of the one you really want.

Danth

Wilbus
10-07-2019, 04:58 PM
When I started P99 Blue I had the same thought as you to run a character to help boost my Paladin main, I never go to him btw.

Your best bet, if this is the route you would like to take, is a Halfling Druid as they level fast (+5%) and can do some solo leveling well. The big plus is in getting ports with him to make money from porting services.

However I would also say just start with the character you want to play. This is how I will be going this time as you will fall far behind the rest when you roll into your main down the road. Also major twink gear won't be available that quickly.

If you do a Paladin get the suck out of the way while everyone else is in the same boat. That is just my thought on it.

BlackBellamy
10-07-2019, 05:36 PM
Just play the class that most appeals to you. You don't want to be going through all that chaos and grind and be constantly thinking "this isn't really the class I want to play but I will be playing that later" and then by the time later comes you're burned out.

AbstractVision
10-08-2019, 07:39 AM
It definitely sounds like you want to play a druid, for all the reasons Danth said above and you can port for money to twink your pally to make life easier. You could even do them on separate accounts and have a friend play your paladin while you PL level with the druid to whatever level of content is your favorite.

Aaramis
10-08-2019, 08:10 AM
IMO, you have 2 options: You can either level an alt first that's easier to start out of the gate (such as a spellcaster) that can twink your Paladin to make your QoL a little easier; or you can just level the Paladin.

One point in favour of the latter is that if you're levelling slower than everyone else, then a lot of gear can simply be *bought* by those who speed ahead to level 50.
(i.e. if you're only level 8 by the time everyone is 30+, you can probably just beg a Magician to summon you a nice sword for the day - and then go nuts on wisps, or wherever you want really. Use the money you make there to buy yourself a proper sword, or a set of banded, or whatever)

There's pros and cons to each strategy, so whatever works best for you.
The server should be full enough that getting a group, even if poorly geared, shouldn't be a problem.

*edit* - if you level the alt first, you might have a chance at some stuff that won't be around forever either. Such as Rubicite, Manastone, etc. That might be worth it too. Tough call!

Nagoya
10-08-2019, 08:23 AM
I think you should start with your Paladin and just stick to it. There will be plenty of groups going on everywhwre for you to group and level up, and you'll get stuff on the way and it will be fine, and fun. This will be faster levelling than any kind of "let's play a druid first and once i am 40 in two months i'll give that measly 2kpp to my Paladin and he will go in EC and buy nothing cause no one is selling anything cause they are busy levelling up themselves" and now you will have a bit less people.tp group with, a level 1 Paladin with Banded and a Combine Weapon and all your dreams will be crushed.

Start with what you really want to play buddy.

Deathrydar
10-08-2019, 08:24 AM
Start with what you really want to play buddy.

I couldn't emphasize this more!

BlackBellamy
10-08-2019, 08:40 AM
I couldn't emphasize this more!

You could use giant font and emojis!

;):o:confused::rolleyes::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

Deathrydar
10-08-2019, 09:33 AM
;):o:confused::rolleyes::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

Noted!

Verityn
10-08-2019, 10:32 AM
Play the paladin. Groups are going to need tanks and as a rogue im going to get looking for paladins like you to group with. If you ever find your self wanting to solo then play a druid as an alt. In this pre-kunark era I don't really think there's a lot of effective gear to twink with so leveling a solo class first may not be that advantageous.

Jimjam
10-08-2019, 12:34 PM
For me the fun is taking a character on adventures to find the loot that benefits it. Xp is earnt on the way while grinding drops.

Grinding xp on an 'unwanted' toon first to then grind cash to then grind ec to then twink a toon with nothing to do but grind xp seems, well, too grindy.

But that is just my opinion.