PDA

View Full Version : Tank situation on Green?

slowpoke68
10-04-2019, 06:46 PM
Was 100 percent set on playing a Warrior on Green but you know how it goes. My eye has been wandering at the character creation screen.

Have read a lot about people not playing knights because of the xp penalty. That would mean needing a whole lot of warriors.

What do you think, fake news, or will there be a tank shortage on Green?

Vallaen
10-04-2019, 06:50 PM
There will be a tank shortage, currently we have 0 tanks.

Xallis
10-04-2019, 06:58 PM
I think warrior is going to be a little tough but not horrible. Class exp is going to be worse for the one playing it than anyone else - I don't think finding a group is going to be hard 90% of the time for any tank. If I need a tank I'll take the first one to come along, and I think that applies to the vast majority of players. We've been at this long enough at this point to know how to manage agro with a poorly equipped war.

Gustoo
10-04-2019, 07:15 PM
There should be enough of every class to get things going.

Choose who you want to be. Warriors will have great places in groups. They are strong and brave and do good DPS while taking hits the best. Basically they're the best class.

Feel free to make an SK or Pally if you're down.

Make a ranger if you like them. They are all great.

Spock2020
10-04-2019, 07:19 PM
I can see a lot of tank missing and god forbid all those that only wants a warrior because of the hybrid penalty lots of people gonna have tough decision to make.

Giovanni
10-04-2019, 08:03 PM
I think you are wise to pick warrior as a fresh start on the Green server.

Just imagine if a level 28 wolf pet from a level 40 shaman was tanking Nagafen during the first month of server launch instead of a warrior. LOL That would be funny to imagine wouldn't it?

https://i.imgur.com/wYM1ag1.jpg

Graventhel
10-04-2019, 08:07 PM
Tanks are gear dependent even for knights, outside of threat. They don't solo particularly well. It's kind of a thankless job anyway.

These reasons, moreso than the exp penalty of the two knights, is likely why there will be fewer of us.

aaezil
10-04-2019, 08:32 PM
The fun factor is high tanking mobs and plus you have the most hitpoints to run to zoneline when someones pulled too many :)

zaneosak
10-05-2019, 10:13 AM
"Tanks" in groups won't be really necessary until much later on. Play whatever you want. You'll get a group no matter what you play (if you want to group) an Oasis orc highway group at 17 will invite literally any 6 toons as long as one of them is a healer, you can kill super fast with most anything. Remember everybody even casters will be swinging rusty weapons for a super long time. Pet classes will be helpful.

fastboy21
10-05-2019, 10:33 AM
warriors are hard in vanilla. you're a totally gear dependent class with basically no gear available except for a few items until later on.

if you truly love the group game and tanking you would probably do better with a knight class...if you are thinking of doing any raid game tanking then warrior.

a significant amount of people will likely roll a non-warrior easier class so that they can farm some basic stuff to twink out a naked warrior to help get him rolling. One of the ironies of old school vanilla EQ is that the first 15 levels or so are actually some of the hardest (and boring) to push through as you advance, especially on a server launch that drops thousands of people into the same newbie zones chasing lvl 1 bats...playing a warrior through them can be stinky if you don't have a plan.

AbstractVision
10-05-2019, 10:43 AM
There will be plenty of lvl 49 earth pets to tank with. They will probably be better than lvl 49 warriors until they are nerfed.

Blingy
10-05-2019, 05:11 PM
I do wonder if the loot tables and drop rates will be the same on green as they are on blue. Reason I ask/mention this is now that my main is 60 my small army of alts have been hunting in newbie zones assembling their own gear.

Some zones have a pretty good drop rate for beginner armor. A couple zones have very bad drop rate for newbie armor but a good rate of ruined pelts for people to make their own tattered armor. One zone is terrible for both but actually has a great rate of dropping weapons which of course means more plat to spend.

All this translates to which race will have a leg up on beginning newbie tank gear.

bwe
10-05-2019, 05:21 PM
I do wonder if the loot tables and drop rates will be the same on green as they are on blue. Reason I ask/mention this is now that my main is 60 my small army of alts have been hunting in newbie zones assembling their own gear.

Some zones have a pretty good drop rate for beginner armor. A couple zones have very bad drop rate for newbie armor but a good rate of ruined pelts for people to make their own tattered armor. One zone is terrible for both but actually has a great rate of dropping weapons which of course means more plat to spend.

All this translates to which race will have a leg up on beginning newbie tank gear.

Well? Share with the class

Trollhide
10-05-2019, 09:46 PM
Well? Share with the class
Weps - Feerrott
Pelts - Misty/Qhills/Everfrost
Armor - Innothule

Coridan
10-07-2019, 03:01 AM
Hunting for gear is way more fun than mindless xp slog in Oasis. Looking forward to dungeon crawling on my SK.

mattil
10-07-2019, 07:43 AM
decaying skeletons in nro drop a good amount of weapons/armor also.

Jimjam
10-07-2019, 08:11 AM
Please delete this inside information mattil.

Glarkus31
10-07-2019, 10:14 AM
I will be playing a Paladin. Just trying to decide on Human or Dwarf like I did on Live.

Experience penalty isn't great, but doesn't bother me too much as I will be a fairly casual player.

Deathrydar
10-07-2019, 10:23 AM
I will be playing a Paladin. Just trying to decide on Human or Dwarf like I did on Live.

Experience penalty isn't great, but doesn't bother me too much as I will be a fairly casual player.

Dwarf stats for paladin are pretty sick!

Glarkus31
10-07-2019, 10:26 AM
You are right! I played until just post PoP on live consistently as a dwarf. I usually play a dwarf, but I was considering a human to have a different opening zone experience. Though, playing and getting to group at the chess board again sounds like fun.

Barantor
10-07-2019, 01:13 PM
Dwarf stats for paladin are pretty sick!

Honestly Dwarves don't have a bad class they can be, even rogue has decent stats and their starting area is really well done as is their city.

Deathrydar
10-07-2019, 01:20 PM
Honestly Dwarves don't have a bad class they can be, even rogue has decent stats and their starting area is really well done as is their city.

It's weird cause I was running thru Butcherblock last nite and I was thinking to myself how the zone is so well done.

Glarkus31
10-07-2019, 01:44 PM
Being on Faydwer could be a bit of a disadvantage as there are fewer zones than connected to Freeport and the Commonlands, etc. One thing about classic that will not be appealing since my life is much busier nowadays will be the boat rides. =)

Deathrydar
10-07-2019, 01:47 PM
Being on Faydwer could be a bit of a disadvantage as there are fewer zones than connected to Freeport and the Commonlands, etc. One thing about classic that will not be appealing since my life is much busier nowadays will be the boat rides. =)

I'm with ya. But I have just come to the conclusion that some of my game playing during week nights will be spent on the boat. I will log on, wait for the boat, get on the boat, get to my destination and then log off until the next available time I can play.

Yay @ adulting

/shrug

astuce999
10-07-2019, 04:46 PM
I'm with ya. But I have just come to the conclusion that some of my game playing during week nights will be spent on the boat. I will log on, wait for the boat, get on the boat, get to my destination and then log off until the next available time I can play.

Yay @ adulting

/shrug

That is until you discover that you can squeeze in that boat time in the morning before work, so that when evening comes, you can log in and play for real :)

#smartadulting

Astuce

uygi
10-07-2019, 04:53 PM
Unless you absolutely require the role play experience to feel classic, picking a race for their starting zone seems unwise. The start zone is one of the quickest parts of the game, and casters that are 12+ or 14+ will be common pretty quickly to bind you wherever you need to go.

The boat is really not that bad; pre-Kunark you’ll have a lot of running and boating. Remember that OoT is actually a really great zone, even if it is a little obnoxiously huge.

Jimjam
10-07-2019, 05:04 PM
Pick is a great value for money vendor tier weapon, upgraded -for rogues- to the miners pick; a 7/35 piercer iirc? Thats a tier better than dragoon dirk and other low level pierce options!