PDA

View Full Version : Newb Tips

WolfOfOdin
10-03-2019, 08:31 PM
I plan on playing P99 Green. I never played EQ back in the day as I was busy with UO. I started playing EQ after Luclin. I've played p99 blue. So, does anyone have any newb tips or just general information on what I can expect Vanilla EQ to be like?

Vizax_Xaziv
10-03-2019, 08:35 PM
#1) Roll a Caster or Priest Class!
#2) Do NOT Roll a Hybrid Class!

WolfOfOdin
10-03-2019, 08:48 PM
I was thinking of rolling either a Monk or a Druid tbh.

TheCowSays
10-03-2019, 08:59 PM
Monk will level about 20% shower than your druid.

I also think monks got a big boost in Kunark (dropping Nov2020)
Make some money with your Druid. Twink your monk next fall ;)

ldgo86
10-03-2019, 09:08 PM
For real just play what you want all the negatives are so overblown. Early weeks on Green will be hilarious and fun.

El-Hefe
10-03-2019, 09:46 PM
Either of those options will be a lot of fun. Can’t go wrong.

BlackBellamy
10-03-2019, 10:21 PM
I've played p99 blue...what I can expect Vanilla EQ to be like?

If you played on blue it's going to be pretty much that except you won't be going to all these places that you could before and where you do go is going to be very crowded. You should go Rogue so that everyone will feel sorry for you and you will always get a group and your endgame will be fantastic!

Hoppkins_Wytchfinder
10-04-2019, 05:52 AM
As much as i want to try a rogue i miss having bind and gate too much. SO FUCKING MUCH. Once you have the ability to at least return to bind it's hard to go back..

Jimjam
10-04-2019, 06:01 AM
Don't go overboard on the min max or grind farming, you're playing for fun not a job.

Have fun, if your race/class/deity combo doesn't expediate that you can always roll a fresh toon. Don't be too frivolous with rerolls though; the game can be time consuming and if you want to participate in a wide level of format you will need some amount of persistence with a single toon.

Druid and monk are both great options, though honestly iksar has better synergy with monk than human (which means waiting until kunark release).

May I suggest you start with a druid, horde your wealth, pick up a wu's quivering staff from city of mist once Kunark opens and then try out an iksar monk using that weapon and a set of bristlesilk/curscale/padded armour.

That way you get to play both classes. Make sure to pick up some mesh armour from guk; reasonable AC, magic and low weight making it and excellent choice for both toons!

Deathrydar
10-04-2019, 06:56 AM
#1) Roll a Caster or Priest Class!
#2) Do NOT Roll a Hybrid Class!

My first tip is: don't listen to this type of negative crap! Play what you want to play.

Baler
10-04-2019, 07:06 AM
Erudite Magician as your starting class.
Erudite has the highest starting INT of all the races & +5 MR
Magician is an excellent farming class that requires no gear.

Day 1, my bets are on Erudite Magicians to start farming plat and gear the fastest. They get their own private starting area and they have quick access to qeynos which has the bonkers exp gnoll fang quest.
As mentioned Erudite Magician requires no gear to level. There wont be tons of items on the market in the first week of green. So you'll have this advantage over every other race/class in norrath.
You can focus on playing the game instead of fighting over fire beetles when you pick an Erudite Magician.

Tenlaar
10-04-2019, 07:12 AM
If you plan on playing magician for the life of the server, you should roll a gnome. Period. Non-gnome magicians are sacrificing a hugely beneficial ability from Kunark on in exchange for an ultimately meaningless int boost.

Chryorn
10-04-2019, 07:24 AM
Expect the first weeks to be chaotic. Lots of people everywhere. Most people will have a rough idea where to level. A lot of those people will have the same ideas. The obvious camps and level spots will be packed. The world is not that large and there are not many areas where almost naked low level chars can hunt.

In Classic on live it was not unusual that a full group killed 2 mobs every 7 minutes. The 2 treants in Southern Karana for example. Aviak Town was surrounded by 6 to 8 groups. - On a server with around 2000 players during prime time. LGuk had around 100 people in it. - 1 group camping 1 room. Hoping to catch a roamer from time to time. The comparatively slow pace of a full server might be enough to make people give up, even when the chaotic starting days are over.

I expect a lot of drama. I expect that a lot of people will decide to log off again instead of enduring it. It will be helpful to have a high tolerance for frustration and a masochistic streak.
I don't know if there will be really the 4000 to 5000 players as expected by some of the posters here, but no matter how many players there will be, the zones are not created to handle that. What is your favorite newbie zone? Imagine to hunt there together with 200 other people. :eek:

kjs86z
10-04-2019, 07:43 AM
Roll a money making class and create that iksar monk day 1 of kunark w/ a full set of gear ready to go.

Jimjam
10-04-2019, 08:34 AM
Erudite Magician as your starting class.
Erudite has the highest starting INT of all the races & +5 MR
Magician is an excellent farming class that requires no gear.

Day 1, my bets are on Erudite Magicians to start farming plat and gear the fastest. They get their own private starting area and they have quick access to qeynos which has the bonkers exp gnoll fang quest.
As mentioned Erudite Magician requires no gear to level. There wont be tons of items on the market in the first week of green. So you'll have this advantage over every other race/class in norrath.
You can focus on playing the game instead of fighting over fire beetles when you pick an Erudite Magician.

This brings us to another point; when rolling a toon always check it has at least 75 agility.

The avoidance bonus you get for having 75+ agility is a huge leap over that for less. Even 70-74 will have you taking a tremendous number of extra hits.If you plan on playing magician for the life of the server, you should roll a gnome. Period. Non-gnome magicians are sacrificing a hugely beneficial ability from Kunark on in exchange for an ultimately meaningless int boost.

Is this in reference to gnomes being able to push an Eye of Zomm through a wall into dead space, making the Eye pop up at the entrance / safe point of a zone, making it easier to invite extra players to a group for Call of the Hero? (in addition to them being able to clip their vision through walls).

Roll a money making class and create that iksar monk day 1 of kunark w/ a full set of gear ready to go.

Realistically 'full set of gear' won't be available day 1. There is a good chance for a Wu's Quivering Staff though, which honestly is like 80% of what you will need.

Hoppkins_Wytchfinder
10-04-2019, 08:55 AM
Man i forgot about the treants. Masses of copper/silver which you end up paying someone else to take to the bank for a cut :D

Tenlaar
10-04-2019, 10:57 AM
Is this in reference to gnomes being able to push an Eye of Zomm through a wall into dead space, making the Eye pop up at the entrance / safe point of a zone, making it easier to invite extra players to a group for Call of the Hero? (in addition to them being able to clip their vision through walls).

Yup.

bum3
10-04-2019, 11:02 AM
Haha yeah. People used to line up along the wall for treant groups.

soronil
10-04-2019, 11:03 AM
Monk will level about 20% shower than your druid.

I also think monks got a big boost in Kunark (dropping Nov2020)
Make some money with your Druid. Twink your monk next fall ;)

This is NOT how it works, People just keep spreading misinformation

If you have a well balanced 5 man group and the difference is adding a monk or a druid, and the group kills at the exact same rate, it will level around ~3% slower with the monk, because the total exp needed by the group will be ~3% higher. This depends on a few factors, including the exp penalties of the other players (no doubt some casters and likely a hybrid or two)

Soloing? Yes you can take the exp penalty at face value, but soloing will not be the best exp for a monk anyway.

bigjeff100
10-04-2019, 11:10 AM
+1 to play what you want, just have fun man!

Deathrydar
10-04-2019, 11:19 AM
+1 to play what you want, just have fun man!