PDA

View Full Version : Potions on green?

slowpoke68
10-03-2019, 03:57 PM
I don't ever remember using potions in vanilla EQ. i remember at some point that Shaman could start making them but that was it.

Will vendor pots be available at launch? Most curious about cloudy potion in particular.

Also, when did they add potion making for shaman characters?

Thanks.

Deathrydar
10-03-2019, 03:58 PM
I don't ever remember using potions in vanilla EQ. i remember at some point that Shaman could start making them but that was it.

Will vendor pots be available at launch? Most curious about cloudy potion in particular.

Also, when did they add potion making for shaman characters?

Thanks.

Shaman will have the ability to partake in the alchemy tradeskill at launch. It'll be a while before they are pumping them out to the population though.

Danth
10-03-2019, 04:08 PM
Alchemy was busted for a long time in the original game. Verant lied about it for quite awhile before finally fixing things. I have no idea whether P99 will replicate that problem but I feel pretty confident the admins here won't replicate VI's lies.

Danth

Vizax_Xaziv
10-03-2019, 04:22 PM
Alchemy was busted for a long time in the original game. Verant lied about it for quite awhile before finally fixing things. I have no idea whether P99 will replicate that problem but I feel pretty confident the admins here won't replicate VI's lies.

Danth

Lol really? Care to elaborate on this? (never heard this story before)

Danth
10-03-2019, 04:38 PM

I don't remember the exact dates, it's been too long. Anyhow, for a long while people kept trying to tell VI that alchemy was busted, VI staff kept coming back and insisting it was working fine. It sometimes devolved into some pretty heated back-and-forth arguments. Eventually it was quietly patched and began working. Later on, I heard (this part I have no firsthand recollection of) that the problem involved VI doing their internal testing on pre-leveled/skilled characters so they failed to notice that alchemy wasn't skilling up right.

It was far from the only thing VI lied about. Original Fiery Avenger quest, anyone?

Danth

Fammaden
10-03-2019, 04:42 PM

I don't know specifics but I do remember broken alchemy being a running joke even after they fixed it. There were tons of things that just didn't work right. Every patch there was some minor fixes like a door not working or a vendor's behavior or something.

I can't imagine P99 is looking to replicate this kind of stuff that the game was notorious for. Leaving in an obvious design mistake like the hybrid penalty, or letting items pending future nerfs exist in the name of era accuracy is one thing, but having stuff be actively malfunctioning doesn't seem like part of what they intend to emulate.

Jimjam
10-03-2019, 05:45 PM
vendor potions were added some time after launch as a melee balance and plat sink.

alchemy potions were broken in so far as it was bugged to near impossible to skill up initially (beta testers started with 100+ skill, so they didn't pick up that it was hard to level up low starting skills).

slowpoke68
10-03-2019, 07:40 PM
Ok thanks guys. Hate that run through Runnyeye and the Gorge. I never realized invisibility potions were even in the game until recently lol.

Yuuvy The Destroyer
10-06-2019, 10:10 AM
vendor potions were added some time after launch as a melee balance and plat sink.

alchemy potions were broken in so far as it was bugged to near impossible to skill up initially (beta testers started with 100+ skill, so they didn't pick up that it was hard to level up low starting skills).

Shamans at the time were unable to put the first point into training at the trainer.
Vi would create a character, set its level then set the skill level and would be able to create potions without issue.

Also the original alchemy pots were much different then what we have now. I don't remember the details, but I want to say every component was a drop from a mob.