PDA

View Full Version : Green etiquette?

btravis1990
10-03-2019, 03:31 PM
So I have a question. With a fresh launch:

So generally now on blue, drops go to "need, before greed" except on Cash camps.

Is this rule going to be the same on Green you think or is everyone going to be FFA/randoming on all loot because everyone is da poor peoples?

Just cannot remember live as I was stupid young, and have not played on any TLP servers on launch.

What can we expect?

Baler
10-03-2019, 03:34 PM
This etiquette is a per-person basis.
It's more of a question about who you choose to associate with rather than the server itself.

Early days I'm guessing etiquette will go out the window. Play Nice Policy will be in effect but you'll still see shenanigans.

Chortles Snort|eS
10-03-2019, 03:35 PM
Perhaps a /ready command

El-Hefe
10-03-2019, 03:42 PM
It'll be a good idea to check that group members are willing to NBG before you start.

NBG is what every group lived by in Classic, I hope it'll be the same on Green.

zaneosak
10-03-2019, 04:21 PM
I think it will be a mix. NBG is kind of weird on a fresh server because if you never win a Need roll you could have sold those items to get yourself a need item. I am for NBG but can see the argument of rolling for the platinum. I bet mos people will be NBG unless it's a serious cash value item that nobody would realistically use.

Vizax_Xaziv
10-03-2019, 04:24 PM
Expect many groups to run NBG for a majority of item drops. ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS establish this at the start of your groups grinding!

High-value items will almost certainly be rolled on in PUGs, however. Items like Yaks, SMR, FBSS, Hooded Black Cloak, Cloak of Shadows etc etc are highly unlikely to go NBG (unless you're in a guild-group or something like that)

Fammaden
10-03-2019, 04:56 PM
How long was it before the patch where you could see what your party members looted? If they make that accurate in you just have to be the fastest ninja looter and no one will know.

Tyronius of Midnight
10-03-2019, 05:10 PM
As far as I'm concerned, these types of disputes can be settled with /duel and /guildwar.

Jungleberry
10-03-2019, 05:12 PM
As far as I'm concerned, these types of disputes can be settled with /duel and /guildwar.

Oh. You mentioned /guildwar. Shocking.

btravis1990
10-03-2019, 05:14 PM
I am going to make a guild called Light Men of Faydwer.

HIE only.

We can Guild war

Danth
10-03-2019, 05:16 PM

You can lose a roll then /duel me over it all you like but there's nothing in the world you can do to make me accept and it's a moot point since you can't loot said item anyway even if I accept and lose.

In P99's early days (well and now, really) the odds of something being NPG were/are inversely proportional to its perceived value. Folks have no problem going NBG on cheapo stuff but the nice stuff is almost always treated as open roll. In rare cases where I wanted to group for a specific item I usually built my own group for the purpose and cleared it with them in advance.

Danth

Nirgon
10-03-2019, 05:25 PM
I am going to make a guild called Light Men of Faydwer.

HE only.

We can Guild war

I wish you luck in the wars to come

Donkey Hotay
10-03-2019, 05:33 PM
HE only.

The 56 Percenters?

<Bright Men of Faydwer> might be a more appropriate counter to DMO, assuming he meant the high gamma HIE.

btravis1990
10-03-2019, 05:34 PM
It was edited lol it Says HIE now ya goons!

BMOF, not bad.

mattkwi
10-03-2019, 05:45 PM
alpha on belts

Donkey Hotay
10-03-2019, 05:58 PM
It was edited lol it Says HIE now ya goons!

<Gamma Turnt Down 4 Thiss>

Baler
10-03-2019, 06:31 PM
alpha on belts

WTS CBB 5pp ea

Mblake81
10-03-2019, 06:45 PM
run NBG for a majority of item drops, ALWAYS establish at the start of your groups grinding!

:cool:

aaezil
10-03-2019, 06:59 PM
I think its a situation where its best to settle the question while forming the group and introducing yourselves instead of after something drops :)

Nuggie
10-03-2019, 07:02 PM
@OP

This is one of those games where reputation is important. If you group with someone and don't like their group loot rules then maybe don't group with them again. Also, be a leader and make the group. That way you set the rules. Be the change you want to see.

Nilstoniakrath
10-03-2019, 07:03 PM
How long was it before the patch where you could see what your party members looted? If they make that accurate in you just have to be the fastest ninja looter and no one will know.

Seriously? That wasn't in from Day 1? That is going to lead to some serious sh-t, LOL

"Nothing to loot here!" says Ninjaboy as the corpse evaporates into thin air...

Mblake81
10-03-2019, 07:07 PM
Seriously? That wasn't in from Day 1? That is going to lead to some serious sh-t, LOL

"Nothing to loot here!" says Ninjaboy as the corpse evaporates into thin air...

Nope, and when you /consent for corpse drag the person could loot your corpse.

Deliverator
10-03-2019, 07:12 PM
I feel like both the /consent for corpse looting and the ninja looting were oversights by Verant that were quickly resolved as GMs being spammed with ninja-loot reports was a big problem. I remember, back in the day, people were ninja looting raid drops, porting out, and then going through a good old-fashioned pickpocket handoff process to disappear the item for sale on the black market.

Niedar
10-04-2019, 01:54 AM
Greed always, anything else is just some guy trying to scam you out of your loot rights.

Whoop
10-04-2019, 03:50 AM
Greed always, anything else is just some guy trying to scam you out of your loot rights.

This unless its a guild group. Or maybe a greed roll if you can use the item.

Hoppkins_Wytchfinder
10-04-2019, 04:24 AM
In the early days it will be balls deep greed. You're a rogue in a group with just casters using a rusty spork as a weapon and a shiny dagger drops?

Tough. Any money i bet every person in the group will roll for it to sell in the EC tunnel.

Fair? Probably not but you can bet your ass there will be melee rolling on their staffs/robes who will chuckle with delight at the revenge.

I think people will be like Ferengi in the first month and just out for ACQUISITIONS

Maliant
10-04-2019, 07:43 AM
First memory I have of this game was my watching my bro grouping on his paladin in Cazic Thule a few months after launch. He was meditating with the book, some shady dude in group looted the steel golem and said he dropped nothing which he didn’t believe. The whole game looked magical to me.

Maliant
10-04-2019, 07:45 AM
Maybe the best remedy for high value camps is the designated looter is streaming and everyone can watch the watch the stream.

honeybee12874
10-04-2019, 08:02 AM
Maybe the best remedy for high value camps is the designated looter is streaming and everyone can watch the watch the stream.

#notclassic :D

Deathrydar
10-04-2019, 08:03 AM
I feel like both the /consent for corpse looting and the ninja looting were oversights by Verant that were quickly resolved as GMs being spammed with ninja-loot reports was a big problem.

Wurl
10-04-2019, 08:26 AM
It looks like I'm a minority here, but NBG doesn't really make much sense in EQ. Drops all have cash and trade value, so everyone NEEDS the drops to get themselves gear, even if it's not that same piece.

Gustoo
10-04-2019, 08:36 AM
It's on a per person and per group basis like always

Hoppkins_Wytchfinder
10-04-2019, 08:51 AM
It looks like I'm a minority here, but NBG doesn't really make much sense in EQ. Drops all have cash and trade value, so everyone NEEDS the drops to get themselves gear, even if it's not that same piece.

It does make sense in the sense that the loot a person may NEED is here dropped on the floor and your making their lives easier by letting them have it. By looting something that someone needs as an upgrade your just making their lives harder and more miserable than it needs to be.

Sure you can turn it into money and then go buy it off another person who has done the same thing and is selling something they dont need.

If its a massive upgrade then imo its pretty err mercenary not let them have it. But meh alls fair in love and EQ.

Karma is a bitch though, you never know when you may need help one day and that person may end up being a cleric who wont come rez you or a person who will stand by and watch you die for the lols.

Or at the most base poetic justice level one day a mega rare upgrade from hades drops and someone rolls against you for cash and laps up your salty tears as the double standards roll :D

Anyway i dont judge either way, i just expect people to be consistant about it. E.g. you roll for something you dont need once...thats how it is going forward

EQ is built on people getting along and people have long memories.

Mblake81
10-04-2019, 08:55 AM

It was across the board back in the day. Some groups ran NBG and was the standard. My enchanter was broke all the time because we didn't random any drops if someone could use it on theirs (not talking about alts or trying to accumulate a fortune). You did have the /random groups but it was iffy. Sometimes. Greed groups. Then you had assholes that would log on their level 45 wizard to come sit at the camp to KS because they didn't win the loot or do NBG.

You have a couple years before wipe, you dont' have months of time to sit and tunnel quest, sure there will be some but I can't see it being to the extent that it is on blue. Trades did occur in era, mostly from greed groups and people selling off items that they have upgraded from.

:o

Jimjam
10-04-2019, 09:09 AM

Arguably NBG shortens the supply chain, which reduces middleman tax, making things cheaper and less time consuming.

Then again, everyone 'needs' cash for 'upgrades' (well, maybe except those that don't participate in the player market, but even they must buy at least food/drink/bandages/reagents/spells from vendors, right)? It does suck if someone vendors an item someone else might have used though.

Lojik
10-04-2019, 09:15 AM
For some things I'd imagine nbg being more popular, since the economy will take a while to set in and people try to come to a consensus what things are worth. Exception of course to loots everyone knows (smr,fbss) and to vendor fodder.

soronil
10-04-2019, 10:37 AM
Another green etiquette question:

Since the population will be so high, will people expect 1 spawn per camp, or expect the player-made camp conventions. Would I be a dick to take one of the 2 treant spawns in SK, or a single gnoll spire? Nybrights also come to mind. I wouldn't do that on blue, but if green is crowded, it seems reasonable to me

Hoppkins_Wytchfinder
10-04-2019, 10:42 AM
I suppose as long as you can show you can kill something quickly enough yourself then its fair game. But if people are going to play the game of death they cant expect adjacent groups to come running to help when they bite off more than they can chew :)

BlackBellamy
10-04-2019, 12:07 PM
Another green etiquette question:

Since the population will be so high, will people expect 1 spawn per camp, or expect the player-made camp conventions. Would I be a dick to take one of the 2 treant spawns in SK, or a single gnoll spire? Nybrights also come to mind. I wouldn't do that on blue, but if green is crowded, it seems reasonable to me

I expect a group or individual to be able to hold their claimed camp without downtime. If you're claiming 6 spawns but sitting around 30% of the time while they're up you don't get to keep them.

soronil
10-04-2019, 12:19 PM
I expect a group or individual to be able to hold their claimed camp without downtime. If you're claiming 6 spawns but sitting around 30% of the time while they're up you don't get to keep them.

I mean let's say you're holding down 6 spawns in an outdoor zone Killing them as they spawn no problem. But official server rules are that you can only claim 1 outdoor spawn at a time. Most people on blue respect more reasonable camp definitions though, but that's because the lower level population is so low. If zones are crowded and people can not find mobs to exp, I suspect these player defined camps go out the window and you can have 1 spawn and im taking another.

Chryorn
10-04-2019, 01:03 PM
It really depends on the unwritten rules. On Innoruuk the 2 treants in SRo were always 1 camp. But the 2 Aviaks in Lake Rathe, right at Arena zone entrance, were frequently shared.
Then again, everyone 'needs' cash for 'upgrades' (well, maybe except those that don't participate in the player market, but even they must buy at least food/drink/bandages/reagents/spells from vendors, right)? It does suck if someone vendors an item someone else might have used though.
I think that is one of the reasons in favor for /ran everything. People might not know how much plat they can charge in a new economy, but most have a rough idea how sought after something is. We will probably see a lot of auctions for straight trades. /auc Caster item X up for trade. Looking for comparable class Y item.

Another thing are the blurry lines of "need". Is it enough that somebody can wear an item to be counted as need? People will wear a lot of things they wouldn't wear on Blue just to fill a slot with something that is slightly better than the cloth or leather that they already have.
Has a warrior who is already wielding an ykesha the same need for the second one as the ranger who still wields his mid level blades? The SK or paladin are probably not going to use that ykesha for a long time, but it beats what they are using now. While those 4 try to hash out who needs it most or if the 4 of them or the whole group should random, the enchanter is watching that discussion with detached amusement. A moment later somebody auctions: Want to trade SMR for one ykesha.

Additionally there are always the people who bank something or park a lore item on a friend or alt before they move to an area where they hope to get another one. NBG works in guilds or among friends. With random pickup groups of poor chars not so much.
It will be interesting to see if the general population will reach an agreement that most players will accept or if every group will hash out their own rules.

BlackBellamy
10-04-2019, 01:52 PM
I mean let's say you're holding down 6 spawns in an outdoor zone Killing them as they spawn no problem. But official server rules are that you can only claim 1 outdoor spawn at a time. Most people on blue respect more reasonable camp definitions though, but that's because the lower level population is so low. If zones are crowded and people can not find mobs to exp, I suspect these player defined camps go out the window and you can have 1 spawn and im taking another.

Oh yeah, no doubt. I'm just speaking of my personal rules. If I come on some camp and I see you can clear and hold it then I'll leave you alone.

Evia
10-04-2019, 04:23 PM

Agreed! I used to be hardcore nbg until i came to this realization. Truly the most FAIR way is to allow everyone who participated in the kill an equal shot at the item. The opposing argument for nbg holds no weight to me when trying to figure out the fairest way to handle it.

With all that said though I'm still never one to oppose a nbg group because I feel it creates a much more community focused and friendly atmosphere. To me thats what this games all about. I can't stand it though when nbg supporters get on their soapbox about how 'unfair' everyone rolling for the item is. Shit couldn't be any more fair so that line of thinking is baffling to me.