PDA

View Full Version : Pickpocketing on Green

garfo
10-03-2019, 11:33 AM
Does anyone know, perhaps rogue players on blue: how dastardly will rogues be on launch? can we live out our dreams of picking dungeons dry, leaving hill giants scratching their heads, and an angry riot of players talking smack in /ooc?

loramin
10-03-2019, 11:46 AM
You can always pickpocket the Seafuries. I hear that's popular ...

(NOTE: This is a reference to a classic forum thread (https://www.project1999.com/forums/showthread.php?t=277707&highlight=pickpocket+seafuries). I'm not sure if it's still possible, and either way the drop rate is much lower now than it was then.)

Jimjam
10-03-2019, 12:34 PM
Borgnach picked them dry!

Vizax_Xaziv
10-03-2019, 03:42 PM
It's been my experience that while the server staff constantly decrees "THAT'S CLASSIC!" they also constantly make NON-CLASSIC changes when they see fit.

Despite Rogues being probably the single-weakest class during Classic I wouldn't hold your breath in regards to pickpocket being un-nerfed and made Classic again!

garfo
10-03-2019, 03:51 PM
It's been my experience that while the server staff constantly decrees "THAT'S CLASSIC!" they also constantly make NON-CLASSIC changes when they see fit.

Despite Rogues being probably the single-weakest class during Classic I wouldn't hold your breath in regards to pickpocket being un-nerfed and made Classic again!

Unpack this -- why would rogues be the single weakest class? Weaker than wars?

Vizax_Xaziv
10-03-2019, 03:57 PM
Unpack this -- why would rogues be the single weakest class? Weaker than wars?

Well yea! Simply due to the fact that Warriors can use both plate armor as well as a far greater number of different weapons making gearing them alot easier. Rogue piercers are also significantly lower damage during Classic, seriously limiting their DPS potential (til you can get the 13dmg piercer off Vox).

Warriors will also, most like, have a much easier time finding groups (being a tank and all)

On the flipside Rogues have the single easiest Epic Weapon and become absolute powerhouses during Kunark that essentially every group wants!

garfo
10-03-2019, 04:04 PM
Well yea! Simply due to the fact that Warriors can use both plate armor as well as a far greater number of different weapons making gearing them alot easier. Rogue piercers are also significantly lower damage during Classic, seriously limiting their DPS potential (til you can get the 13dmg piercer off Vox).

Warriors will also, most like, have a much easier time finding groups (being a tank and all)

On the flipside Rogues have the single easiest Epic Weapon and become absolute powerhouses during Kunark that essentially every group wants!

Re: group invites -- groups only need one tank. They can always use more DPS. at least that's been my experience so far. so when you're in the mob of people LFG at cazic looking to snag a spot in that sweet sweet ruby farming group, don't you think a rogue is more likely to cop that invite?

Vizax_Xaziv
10-03-2019, 04:16 PM
Re: group invites -- groups only need one tank. They can always use more DPS. at least that's been my experience so far. so when you're in the mob of people LFG at cazic looking to snag a spot in that sweet sweet ruby farming group, don't you think a rogue is more likely to cop that invite?

Sometimes, sure. But while the Rogue will sit in CT shouting LFG a tank class is literally gonna get invites from groups on the other side of Norrath.

A group may only need one tank but tanks will almost certainly be the least-played archetype.

A group may want three or four DPS on the other hand, but DPS will almost certainly be the most populous archetype on the server (with melee DPS being far-less desirable than caster-DPS during Classic)

Keebz
10-03-2019, 06:21 PM
Despite Rogues being probably the single-weakest class during Classic

This means nothing without a measurable metric by which to quantify it.

You mention rogues having low group desirability, but then in another thread you proclaim you will never group with a hybrid class? So which is it?

Honestly, having played a rogue in classic on blue and live, they are completely fine, though not amazing. Hide/Sneak is great, DPS is actually solid (backstab is still much much better than kick with a 7 dmg piercer and there's no mana to run out of), they have an exp bonus (note: monks and rangers and casters all have penalties), low gear dependence, and a fairly straightforward and stress free play style.

Are they dependent on groups and have plenty of competition for spots? Sure.

Arvan
10-03-2019, 07:48 PM
People who think rogues are bad in classic have no idea how good backstab is when everyone elses weapons are garbage.

Vizax_Xaziv
10-03-2019, 08:20 PM
You mention rogues having low group desirability, but then in another thread you proclaim you will never group with a hybrid class? So which is it?

They're not mutually exclusive. My refusing to invite any Hybrid Class to my groups has literally nothing to do with the group-desirability of Rogues. Until Rogues get something like a Serrated Bone Dirk they will literally have lower DPS than a Mage Pet.

People who think rogues are bad in classic have no idea how good backstab is when everyone elses weapons are garbage.

I was mostly pointing out the disparity between melee and caster DPS. Again, as I said above, a Mage Pet can literally out-DPS a Rogue until they have a sufficiently high-damage piercer to increase BS damage.

Cen
10-04-2019, 06:39 PM
They're not mutually exclusive. My refusing to invite any Hybrid Class to my groups has literally nothing to do with the group-desirability of Rogues. Until Rogues get something like a Serrated Bone Dirk they will literally have lower DPS than a Mage Pet.

I was mostly pointing out the disparity between melee and caster DPS. Again, as I said above, a Mage Pet can literally out-DPS a Rogue until they have a sufficiently high-damage piercer to increase BS damage.

On a classic emulation server, that is literally one of the most common items that gets massively produced on the server, since it shares mob with Guise. Every rogue within a week is going to have that dagger dumped on him by all the people waiting in line ;p

Spock2020
10-04-2019, 07:09 PM
I can see warrior having problems finding a magical weapon in place like unrest though and dont forget serrated bone dirk for rogue

soronil
10-04-2019, 10:33 PM

How good is backstab when your mainhand is a 6dmg weapon? I really am curious

Vizax_Xaziv
10-04-2019, 11:22 PM
How good is backstab when your mainhand is a 6dmg weapon? I really am curious

Prolly something like 25-30dmg backstabs....when they're not completely missing due to low BS skill

Baler
10-04-2019, 11:26 PM
honestly skarlorn set the bar for rogue pickpockt threads.
He was pick pocketing sea furies pre nerf and wrote a dope thread about it.