PDA

View Full Version : More class questions. MOAR

Natewest1987
10-02-2019, 12:06 AM
Out of the following, how would you rank these classes from starting strength, to Kunark strength, to Velious ?

Trying to figure out which classes of the few that I’m interested in, might be strong throughout all the expansions on green? Preferably to just get better with each one. I would like to avoid leveling something that is just going to diminish over time. Thoughts on... leaving out enchanters since I’m already very familiar with them and I’m not dying to play charm quest again

Necromancer
Shaman
Bard ** I’ve heard these can somehow do high level farms solo?
Mage
MAYBE cleric?

pink grapefruit
10-02-2019, 12:10 AM
mage won't get better w time

vote bard (best class by far) or sham

XD

DMN
10-02-2019, 12:58 AM
Necro and bard are the only ones on that list that aren't boring AF for almost their entire 1-60. If you haven't tried a bard it's worth checking out. it feels so much different being able to move around while casting your "spells". And you will be in demand for end game raiding stuff in every expansion.

Whoop
10-02-2019, 05:46 AM
Necro and bard are the only ones on that list that aren't boring AF for almost their entire 1-60. If you haven't tried a bard it's worth checking out. it feels so much different being able to move around while casting your "spells". And you will be in demand for end game raiding stuff in every expansion.

Whats so boring about shamans?

Deathrydar
10-02-2019, 06:09 AM

See, I disagree. There are going to be differing opinions when a question such as this is asked, and no one can answer it for someone.

I leveled a Bard to 55 on live back in the classic era, and I leveled one to around 30 on this server and to me, the class was extremely boring.

Go Shaman for buffs and SoW.

DMN
10-02-2019, 07:31 AM
Whats so boring about shamans?

You will generally end up doing the same thing over and over and over and over again. There is a tiny little window of fun stuff in your mid 30s to dink around with. But the most efficient way to play shaman is almost always incredibly boring. it's impossible to talk about this stuff because everyone on blue has had their perceptions skewed by kunark/velious loot/spells. spending a year in vanilla is something very few people on these forums have ever done. I'm counting that in(year of vanilla) as part and parcel of the 1-60 experience on green.

See, I disagree. There are going to be differing opinions when a question such as this is asked, and no one can answer it for someone.

I leveled a Bard to 55 on live back in the classic era, and I leveled one to around 30 on this server and to me, the class was extremely boring.

Go Shaman for buffs and SoW.

You get selos earlier and it's faster than SoW. Bard is only as boring as you make it. it has a very high skill cap so you can always be pushing the envelope to do better both solo and grouping.

Fammaden
10-02-2019, 07:36 AM
He's not asking what's more fun anyway.

Out of your list, the choice of a class that starts good and only gets better, the choice is clearly shaman.

Bard is probably next, it gets the AE/swarm capacity back after green patches it back in and then becomes a strong leveler and highly desired for any group or raid.

Necro third, it basically starts strong and stays strong but doesn't necessarily gain power to the degree of shaman or bard. Can farm like crazy, solo a lot of good stuff, good at HS for leveling/farming in Kunark. Potentially boring in the raid game where you'll do a lot of mana battery work.

As stated mage is at its best in classic then never gets better again, not that its a bad class per se.

Cleric I'm not exactly counting since you said big maybe, and it essentially does the same thing and is indispensable at every level and format of the game. It does only get better and better as fights get harder, the epic and 96% rez come into play, and buffs get better. The bigger question is if you personally can stand being a cleric main or not.

Natewest1987
10-02-2019, 08:43 AM
Ahh! How am i ever going to sort this out ? LOL

Deathrydar
10-02-2019, 09:26 AM
Ahh! How am i ever going to sort this out ? LOL

I was here a couple of weeks ago. I did some research on each class I wanted, got it down to a choice of three and then logged on to blue and tried them out to see which one I liked more. It worked!

darkreap
10-02-2019, 12:36 PM
The shaman starts out mediocre but quickly gets better with longer lasting slows and dots. Very expensive to outfit later onthough.

The bard is excellent in most situations but is outshined by an enchanter in most areas. They can do some interesting things solo but are overall less powerful than enchanter and shaman.

Necro is good for pretty much anything and a well played necro can go camps most classes cannot. With FD you can camp anything in relative safety.

The cleric will not be able to do much content without a group. After you get CH it is pretty much just buff upgrades.

Pick shaman or enchanter if you want a really powerful class. Pick ranger if you want a fun one.

magusfire24
10-02-2019, 01:26 PM
.......... Pick ranger if you want a fun one.

You know every time a ranger dies it rains in the Karanas! Hence why it always rains. LOL

I jest ! was a ranger for 10 years . Going to be hard getting used to soloing without panic animal .

DMN
10-02-2019, 01:30 PM
You know every time a ranger dies it rains in the Karanas! Hence why it always rains. LOL

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FTQbiNvZqaY

magusfire24
10-02-2019, 04:37 PM
I am guessing monks will also have the ac penalty when over a certain weight as per this table?

1-14 14.9
15-29 15.9
30-44 16.9
45-50 17.9

Noselacri
10-02-2019, 06:20 PM
Bards are pretty overrated for general gameplay before Kunark. You definitely want them in raids for resist songs, but other than that, they don't really do anything well. Mana song is kinda good but only when you're doing nothing else, the slows are really bad, and bard CC is only just good enough to suffice. Their haste and melee buffs are only worth anything if the group has no shaman or enchanter. They can pull, but so can any other class with lull/harmony. Most people are never gonna raid, and outside of those resist songs, they're kinda just mediocre at a wide variety of things. They won't be great levelers with the 4-mob limit on spells and songs. There are very few possible group setups where a bard is worth having over another DPS. There would basically have to be no shaman, no enchanter and no puller. People just have this ingrained notion of "bard = always great."