PDA

View Full Version : Banned and Abandoned Account Names on Green

lordpazuzu
10-01-2019, 12:52 AM
Are there any plans to release names tied to banned or abandoned accounts for use on Green?

AbstractVision
10-01-2019, 01:38 AM
No you were banned, you can't have your shit back not even your names. Go box and RMT elsewhere.

Madbad
10-01-2019, 01:39 AM
No you were banned, you can't have your shit back not even your names. Go box and RMT elsewhere.

Coridan
10-01-2019, 03:44 AM
But all those banned people took a bunch of cool names like Shadow and Wraith and other edgey shit I wanna name my dark elves.

Hoppkins_Wytchfinder
10-01-2019, 05:05 AM
Tough, now you have to call your DE "Buttercup Trixiebell"

Fammaden
10-01-2019, 07:10 AM
Buttercup was taken =/, I was able to get Trixiebell as a first name though.

loramin
10-01-2019, 11:08 AM
I was able to get Trixiebell as a first name though.

So is your new Iksar Necromancer going to be leveling up in Field of Bone or Swamp of No Hope? ;)

ALLWILL
10-01-2019, 11:47 AM
I second the OP's inquiry!

Over the last 10 years A LOT of highly desirable names have been snatch up by accounts that have then quit playing, gone idle at low levels, or got perma-banned.

If character names on Green are going to be limited to names that ARE NOT tied to a toon on Blue, then those names that are no longer being actively used on Blue need to be freed up. AT LEAST so we can re-use them on Green. Perhaps giving priority to Green Server Transfers back to Blue at the end of the cycle. ESPECIALLY if said names are still not actively being used on Blue.

Danth
10-01-2019, 11:52 AM
For all the discussion, there's a real issue present. I tried to make a test character the other day and it took me almost half an hour to get a working name (and it wasn't a good one, more like a random jumble of letters with little semblance to a "name"). Even the random-name-generator names kept coming back as taken. I'm prepared to re-use names from little-used "blue" characters I have, but players new to P1999 don't have that luxury.

Danth

Madbad
10-01-2019, 01:41 PM
I was able to come up with a decent four letter name for my test character in 3 tries

loramin
10-01-2019, 03:11 PM
Even the random-name-generator names kept coming back as taken.

This probably isn't classic, but could we get a QoL improvement to have the random name generator discard any already-taken names before suggesting them to players?

Gustoo
10-01-2019, 03:36 PM
I just made a name in green. It was like "Kents"

I mean, there are a butt load of top tier names still available.

Anything starting with Lg is still available since no normal words start that way. Pro tip right there.

loramin
10-01-2019, 03:46 PM
Anything starting with Lg is still available since no normal words start that way. Pro tip right there.

Great, now we're going to have a server full of people with names that I can't tell whether to type using: /tell ig... or /tell lg... ;)

Fammaden
10-01-2019, 04:05 PM
I just made a name in green. It was like "Kents"

I mean, there are a butt load of top tier names still available.

Lgfries Pls it is. Pefect halfling name.

ALLWILL
10-01-2019, 05:30 PM
lgtrolls lgwill lgalways lgtry lgto lgtroll.

lgc'este lgla lgvie... lglol

Gustoo
10-01-2019, 05:35 PM
Now u got it. Glad I solved all your name problems.

Worry
10-01-2019, 05:44 PM
All perma-banned accounts should have their toons deleted imo.

fastboy21
10-01-2019, 05:47 PM
In all seriousness, unless banned accounts from blue are also banned on green at launch then the name preservation might actually work (if you still hold the banned account) allowing banned people from blue to "resurrect" their banned-blue-account names as a level 1 greenie.

I don't think others will be able to snatch up banned account names from someone else's account though...it could be possible, but seems unlikely.

BlackBellamy
10-01-2019, 06:01 PM
So is your new Iksar Necromancer going to be leveling up in Field of Bone or Swamp of No Hope? ;)

If you're in the Swamp and you're not passing through to FV or TT or looking for quest item then there is something wrong with you.

Jimjam
10-02-2019, 01:59 AM
Now u got it. Glad I solved all your name problems.

I already reserved by bards name, Lgbeaty.

Trollhide
10-02-2019, 02:46 AM
I just made a name in green
wat how

Jimjam
10-02-2019, 09:52 AM
Some great names I found:

Lymie
Flatearth
Concerntration
Tablularasa

Fammaden
10-02-2019, 10:04 AM
wat how

If its not taken on blue and he has it on an account of his, its available to him in green now.

Trollhide
10-02-2019, 12:04 PM
If its not taken on blue and he has it on an account of his, its available to him in green now.
I tried to create a couple names I've used on P99 in the past but since deleted the chars, somewhat obscure names, but both were taken. Some SOB even got Trollhide :(

Love to hear an official response whether there is a plan to free up abandoned names

Gustoo
10-02-2019, 12:22 PM
Official response was.not to free up anything

Trollhide
10-02-2019, 12:25 PM
Official response was.not to free up anything
So a solid 10 years of names unavailable, then. Mistakes.

lordpazuzu
10-02-2019, 04:07 PM

You must be so much fun at parties mate. I'm asking because there are 10 years worth of abandoned and ban-locked names that could go back into circulation. Now go sit in the corner.

Trollhide
10-04-2019, 08:49 PM
I tried to create a couple names I've used on P99 in the past but since deleted the chars, somewhat obscure names, but both were taken. Some SOB even got Trollhide :(

Love to hear an official response whether there is a plan to free up abandoned names
Praise Jebus, the scumbag that took the names was me. Apparently I made a couple secondary accounts years ago and put placeholders on them :D

Seungkyu
10-05-2019, 09:13 AM
I don't quite understand the situation. Is every name on Blue going to be blocked on Green from the start?

AbstractVision
10-05-2019, 09:54 AM
You must be so much fun at parties mate. I'm asking because there are 10 years worth of abandoned and ban-locked names that could go back into circulation. Now go sit in the corner.

Account made in 2014, first post on forums isn't until 2019 asking about banned accounts.

Sure looks like RMT trash to me, keep enjoying that ban.

ALLWILL
10-07-2019, 07:06 PM
Account made in 2014, first post on forums isn't until 2019 asking about banned accounts.

Wow... watertight logic, right there... because the BIGGEST concern of RMTers is that they are able to recover names corresponding to characters and accounts that have ALREADY been flagged and banned for boxing/RMTing.

More like duma$$es who've been pinged and banned for violations are the ones whining so much, in hopes that their old accounts (and lewt) don't get perma-wiped, and their old monikers don't get placed back in general circulation for all us normal players.

I don't quite understand the situation. Is every name on Blue going to be blocked on Green from the start?

The situation is that names will be limited to those available on Blue. If the name isn't available on Blue, AND you don't have the character who possesses said name in your Blue account, then you can't use the name. So after 10 years of character creations and bannings, names are going to be limited. Maybe it won't matter...

http://wiki.project1999.com/Green_Server#Character_Names

lordpazuzu
10-07-2019, 07:41 PM

Sure looks like RMT trash to me, keep enjoying that ban.

Yes, because the first thing I'm going to do as a banned RMT'er is to post on the forums about naming concerns, and then START RMT'ING UNDER THE EXACT NAME I WAS BANNED UNDER THE FIRST TIME.

Who told you you could get out of the corner?

turbosilk
10-07-2019, 07:54 PM
I know my wife has been wanting to use her original live warrior name but we haven't seen it online over the course of 3 years. We were hoping green would start over instead of retaining accounts and character names of people who probably haven't been on for 4 or 5 years or longer.

loramin
10-07-2019, 08:02 PM
I know my wife has been wanting to use her original live warrior name but we haven't seen it online over the course of 3 years. We were hoping green would start over instead of retaining accounts and character names of people who probably haven't been on for 4 or 5 years or longer.

To me this is the greatest argument for a name clean-up. You can have differing opinions on whether every character name should be original, or whether esoteric ones are ok, or whether Drizzt is the bestest name ever ... but you can't deny that most of us are here at least in part because of nostalgia.

I was lucky enough to get Loramin, but I did have to rename my first alt from live (with an extra "h"). I certainly would have been irritated if I couldn't get at least a close/phonetically similar spelling, and he was just an alt.

I just don't understand why, because someone created a toon here with a particular name ... nine years ago (and then never played it again), someone who had that name on live shouldn't get the fun nostalgia of being able to recreate their favorite character on Blue or Green.

eddyystop1999
10-07-2019, 08:23 PM
Great, now we're going to have a server full of people with names that I can't tell whether to type using: /tell ig... or /tell lg... ;)

I had great fun on an EQ pvp server with my char "iion". First, people initially assumed a lion was attacking them. Second, they sent their annoying /tell's to the char named lion.

Madbad
10-07-2019, 09:18 PM
I just don't understand why, because someone created a toon here with a particular name ... nine years ago (and then never played it again), someone who had that name on live shouldn't get the fun nostalgia of being able to recreate their favorite character on Blue or Green.

Because the Devs made a commitment to not wipe peoples accounts due to inactivity.

We ALL know you can get the EQ itch after 10 years of not playing, one of the things that preserves the integrity of this project is that you know your toons are going to be there, next month, next year, hell next decade!

lordpazuzu
10-07-2019, 09:36 PM
Because the Devs made a commitment to not wipe peoples accounts due to inactivity.

We ALL know you can get the EQ itch after 10 years of not playing, one of the things that preserves the integrity of this project is that you know your toons are going to be there, next month, next year, hell next decade!

Honestly, I was just hoping for a small chance to poach one of my original EQ1 character names I couldn't get before. Oh well, I'll live without it.

Nilstoniakrath
10-07-2019, 09:58 PM

Yes, it would be nice if there could have been a way to open up Green so that all names would be available. But server resources are not infinite, Green will roll into Blue at the end, and duplicate names are not allowed.

But I think it is even more important to NOT delete characters, EVER. I have taken breaks from everquest for extended periods of time, but I always come back. And the sniveling about lack of available names is really way overblown, and even if "your" name is taken, at the end of the day, who cares if you have to be a bit creative in how you spell that cherished name of yours, which, honestly, for many people, is just some lame attempt at humor or hipsterism and a violation of the naming policy anyways.

turbosilk
10-07-2019, 10:32 PM
Yes, it would be nice if there could have been a way to open up Green so that all names would be available. But server resources are not infinite, Green will roll into Blue at the end, and duplicate names are not allowed.

But I think it is even more important to NOT delete characters, EVER. I have taken breaks from everquest for extended periods of time, but I always come back. And the sniveling about lack of available names is really way overblown, and even if "your" name is taken, at the end of the day, who cares if you have to be a bit creative in how you spell that cherished name of yours, which, honestly, for many people, is just some lame attempt at humor or hipsterism and a violation of the naming policy anyways.

Yes but we're talking about keeping names forever based on the beta server. I'll agree to keep names and accounts forever after the actual server Green is rolled out. But I can't agree for the beta server.

Baler
10-07-2019, 10:32 PM
Let those names rot, they're tainted.

Tecmos Deception
10-07-2019, 10:43 PM

F Tecmos Deception. Long live Kagero Deception.

Baler
10-08-2019, 12:25 AM
F Tecmos Deception. Long live Kagero Deception.

I concede.

lordpazuzu
10-08-2019, 12:33 AM

Eh, there is a reputation issue connected to a few of them I'm sure. That's a fair point.

AbstractVision
10-08-2019, 07:36 AM
Yes, because the first thing I'm going to do as a banned RMT'er is to post on the forums about naming concerns, and then START RMT'ING UNDER THE EXACT NAME I WAS BANNED UNDER THE FIRST TIME.

People who ask stupid questions, are, get this, its a biiiiiig surprise... generally stupid.

That exactly what a stupid RMT or boxer would do.

Deathrydar
10-08-2019, 07:39 AM
N00b question: What does RMT stand for?

Tecmos Deception
10-08-2019, 08:03 AM
N00b question: What does RMT stand for?

Real money trade. Trading ingame assets/accounts to someone else in exchange for real money (or bloomin onions).

lordpazuzu
10-08-2019, 09:14 AM
People who ask stupid questions, are, get this, its a biiiiiig surprise... generally stupid.

It was a pertinent question. Now get back in your corner and stare at the wall this time.

Crom
10-08-2019, 11:09 AM
All perma-banned accounts should have their toons deleted imo.

How do you tell if an account should be perma-banned ?

I think the staff might want to have the option to reverse a call if they find reason for it later, and it's a lot easier to unlock an account than it's to recreate one.

AbstractVision
10-08-2019, 08:41 PM
It was a pertinent question. Now get back in your corner and stare at the wall this time.

No it was a question that was answered dozens of times before, a quick search would have told you that. You need to come up with a more original insult, but I understand people are only capable of what they have experienced. Who used to put you in the corner as a child? :(

ALLWILL
10-10-2019, 12:04 PM

"Stupid", is whining about a legitimate discussion on a forum for a 20 year old MMO.

"Stupid", is correlating a desire to permanently delete perma-banned accounts (along with their characters and items) with RMTers.

"Stupid", is assuming that "a quick search" on a 10 year old forum will be anything approaching "quick" to answer a question has been asked "dozens of times before".

I'm on board with Pazuzu, that you should get back in your corner. Of course I'm not the type of person who believes anonymous trolls on forums, arguing in support of protecting the integrity of perma-banned accounts, will ever do anything except continue to troll while they desperately struggle against having their perma-banned accounts' characters' names being released back into the wild.

Trollhide
10-10-2019, 01:22 PM
Let's be real, the number of banned names people are trying to recover is almost certainly dwarfed by the number of simply inactive names owned by lapsed players that could be put to good use

lordpazuzu
10-10-2019, 02:34 PM
No it was a question that was answered dozens of times before, a quick search would have told you that. You need to come up with a more original insult, but I understand people are only capable of what they have experienced. Who used to put you in the corner as a child? :(

Dozens of times before? About the green server?

Are there any plans to release names tied to banned or abandoned accounts for use on Green?

Reworded: Are there plans to let us have a chance to use names that are tied up on Blue and not being used due to account abandonment or some idiot getting banned, on this new and separate server, even though the intent is to reasonably insure people get to keep their names if/when they change servers. Names that would otherwise preemptively and indefinitely be removed from circulation, never to be used, before the new server opens.

I'm sorry, I thought the words "for use on Green" would have provided adequate context for most people.

Now get back in the corner and stare at the wall. Put this dunce cap on while you're at it and recite, "I will use my context clues." 1000 times.

Pyjama
10-11-2019, 05:21 PM
I have the name Peach, if someone wants it for some plat.

Baler
10-11-2019, 05:38 PM
I have the name Peach, if someone wants it for some plat.

Just sniped the name Eggplant

AbstractVision
10-11-2019, 05:47 PM
You should probably take your own advice here. Once again I'll refer you to the "search" function where you will find through numerous posts before you that your stupid question was asked many times. You can also utilize the search function on the p99 discord where you will find your stupid question asked many times. You're welcome.

lordpazuzu
10-11-2019, 10:07 PM
You should probably take your own advice here. Once again I'll refer you to the "search" function where you will find through numerous posts before you that your stupid question was asked many times. You can also utilize the search function on the p99 discord where you will find your stupid question asked many times. You're welcome.

ScottBerta
10-12-2019, 12:48 AM
Much easier if Green never molds into blue and thus lets all players create brand new names... all those same names are going to change in three years anyways when servers melt together... and all that great gear people worked for won’t really mean shit compared to what everyone already has on blue. All these mains will become like 4th or 5th tier alts. Better to just keep Green separate and let people choose any names they want on green.

El-Hefe
10-12-2019, 01:33 AM
Nah, recycling is more important that peoples names and the devs have already committed to never deleting toons.

So the old toons have to be stuck somewhere when the all important recycle comes.

lordpazuzu
10-13-2019, 02:27 AM
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

https://www.project1999.com/forums/showthread.php?t=336090