PDA

View Full Version : all them choices - classes

santis
09-30-2019, 07:19 AM
bare with me, i know a few have allready asked the same..

i think i have narrowed it down to the following classes/races

Ogre, SK - i think SK is an awesome class, never played one tho. (hardcore penality?)
Troll, Shaman - Really strong class i belive (no torpor, no good?)
DE, wizard - i've played Wizard on live, from pop to VOA. (good classic?)
HIE, enchanter - Did this one on RF and had a blast (borring raids, to many enc on server?)
Half Elf, Ranger - Just for the challenge
Erudite, Magician - My first char in the EQ univers (never gonna get epic?)

I have limetet playtime due to work and comute.

I want to be able to solo while LFG and do quests

Your input here: ______ - Thanks in advance

Deathrydar
09-30-2019, 07:34 AM

Ogre, SK - i think SK is an awesome class, never played one tho. (hardcore penality?)
HIE, enchanter - Did this one on RF and had a blast (borring raids, to many enc on server?)

My OPINIONS below in red. I tend to focus on the positives rather than the negatives, as so many others do for some reason:

Ogre, SK - i think SK is an awesome class, never played one tho. (hardcore penality?) Yes there is a significant experience penalty here, but I loved my Shadow Knight! Play what you want and ignore the penalty. Besides, I always found it bad ass when I was a high level Shadow Knight and no one else even had the balls to level one up!
Troll, Shaman - Really strong class i belive (no torpor, no good?) Very strong race/class combo. You get regen!
DE, wizard - i've played Wizard on live, from pop to VOA. (good classic?) Wizards are pretty awesome and Dark Elves are a great race! You will be one of the only classes that can quad kite and that can port. Hello platinum!
HIE, enchanter - Did this one on RF and had a blast (borring raids, to many enc on server?) Don't worry about what others will play, especially here. Remember that only a hundred people or so vote on these player made polls and most do not come to these forums. Also remember that many people have rose tinted glasses on and believe the class is easier than they originally thought. Some drop out and re-roll. Play what you want. That being said, I had a blast with my Enchanter in groups. I do not know much about the solo route with Enchanters, but I heard it is difficult, but rewarding!
Half Elf, Ranger - Just for the challenge I have heard that Rangers in vanilla re pretty kick ass!
Erudite, Magician - My first char in the EQ univers (never gonna get epic?) Not sure about the epic, imo who cares. But this is a strong race/class combo! Magicians solo well and their magic DPS in groups is difficult to match!

Xallis
09-30-2019, 07:34 AM
You should be able to Solo with any of those but enc/mage will be best at it, SK/Ranger will be hardest. Wizards will be at their best compared to melee in this era plus porting ability makes it easier to get to a group quickly after you find one that wants you.

DMN
09-30-2019, 07:39 AM
Well all of those can solo, but ranger is probably the most limited in their soloability. You will have to hunt down animals to fear kite and there might be very few places and fewer mobs available depending on your level range and then you are way the hell out in the middle of nowhere "looking for a group" which even if it comes is probably going to be far away.

Other than that pick whatever you think is going to be the most interesting/fun/whatever. It's your character after all.

Aaramis
09-30-2019, 07:52 AM
I'd say they're all good choices for group/solo.

If time is going to be quite limited, and you're after a Guise or something, you might want to aim to level the class you most want a guise on, as you might not get other classes high enough to get one before it goes.

soronil
09-30-2019, 07:56 AM
Well all of those can solo, but ranger is probably the most limited in their soloability. You will have to hunt down animals to fear kite

Accoring to the wiki, rangers do not get animal fear until velious.
I would say that SK and rangers can not solo well enough to consider doing it. People are thinking about blue server when they say this, where everyone had cheap velious weapons and gear. Vanilla weapons do not really allow for melee classes to solo except for maybe greens with alot of downtime even then.

People also think enchanters are a soloing God, but again with bad gear your soloing is even less reliable. You log in, you gotta find something appropriate to charm, and you're going to die a lot due to charm breaks/resists. Not the best way to exp reliably.

Not saying these are bad classes, but solo ability is different when you take away gear. Especially if we are talking "worthwhile solo for exp" instead of " I need to kill 1 mob for a quest". You basically have to think "who can solo naked?"

Druid, necro, bard, wizard. Then mage and maybe monk. Enchanters have the tools but it's scary. Shamans are alright (with their vanilla gear).

Deathrydar
09-30-2019, 08:00 AM
and you're going to die a lot due to charm breaks/resists. Not the best way to exp reliably.

We are all going to die a lot on green. It's just the way EverQuest classic is...

DMN
09-30-2019, 08:14 AM

Seriously. Haha. That's horrible.

I take it back then, they can't solo, but I do double-down on scratching it off the list.

I would say that SK and rangers can not solo well enough to consider doing it.

Nah, SK can solo fine post-fear. I solo'd mine plenty back then in ghetto gear. It wasn't pretty sometimes but i got the job done.

Canelek
09-30-2019, 01:38 PM
Rangers can solo fine, but it will be a bit slower than Blue due to weaker gear. I found the root + arrows down to a certain health %, then melee until they flee works fairly well.

Stick with mobs that flee though, as you will not be able to melee for long. Since you have snare, root and a tiny heal, it really isn't so bad for leveling solo. Animal fear as a means to solo is fine in Velious, but awfully boring.

The trick, however, is to stock up on arrow-making mats prior to venturing out. You'll go through a lot of arrows, so use the cheapest long-range recipe you can handle. So, it certainly helps being somewhat close to an archery supply vendor.

But yeah, Rangers have SoW, snare, root, harmony, etc. It is a pretty solid solo class if you are patient and plan.

Gustoo
09-30-2019, 01:41 PM
As a ranger on live, I used to arrow kite with snare all over the karanas

Then velious came out and I fear kited cougars.

Still a bad soloer compared to some, but better than others.

Tyronius of Midnight
09-30-2019, 01:45 PM
Hello - please consider the Erudian Brotherhood. We will supply you with the knowledge you need to lead your own path.

I hope you find us safely.

kschuder02
10-04-2019, 08:22 PM

Shaman, I think, will be in huge demand. There will be no twinks with almost maxed out stats, so buffs will be in huge demand. Buffs will affect downtime and will increase xp/hour significantly. The less damage the tank takes and the less mana required to heal that tank is much less downtime.

On Green, you will see a group dynamic that you're not used to, in EQ, if your only experience with EQ is P99 Blue. Groups won't be steamrollers on Green.

Vizax_Xaziv
10-04-2019, 08:58 PM
Have you considered Druid at all? Damage Shields are gonna be absolutely HUGE on early-Green in regards to their damage:mana ratio!

Polycaster
10-07-2019, 05:23 PM
I would say that SK and rangers can not solo well enough to consider doing it. People are thinking about blue server when they say this, where everyone had cheap velious weapons and gear. Vanilla weapons do not really allow for melee classes to solo except for maybe greens with alot of downtime even then.

People also think enchanters are a soloing God, but again with bad gear your soloing is even less reliable. You log in, you gotta find something appropriate to charm, and you're going to die a lot due to charm breaks/resists. Not the best way to exp reliably.

Not saying these are bad classes, but solo ability is different when you take away gear. Especially if we are talking "worthwhile solo for exp" instead of " I need to kill 1 mob for a quest". You basically have to think "who can solo naked?"

Druid, necro, bard, wizard. Then mage and maybe monk. Enchanters have the tools but it's scary. Shamans are alright (with their vanilla gear).

SK don't need much gear to solo, just snare/fear. Against undead like specs they can even use 10 mana undead fear. It's slow, especially w/ the xp penalty, but it's reliable. SK + some other melee makes it go a lot faster, and dilutes the xp penalty.

Dru/wiz solo well because of quad-kiting mostly, which will be problematic on a new server. Bard soloed well due to infini-kiting, which will be nerfed to 4 mobs on green. Killing 4 mobs in the time it takes 1 person to solo 10 mobs isn't an efficient leveling plan.

Shm get progressively worse as they lvl, up until 34. Look up the dmg spells they have at 33, it's ridiculous. I remember on live thinking I was pimped out in my early 30s with full banded + Lockjaw staff, and I could barely solo a single low blue (again, look at the dmg on the spells, and then the mana pool of a shm in banded.) Almost every spell lvl from 34-60 gives them some god-like upgrade though, so the uphill climb to 34 has a long and steep downhill coast to torpor.

Cen
10-07-2019, 06:08 PM
I always sort of wanted a DE sk, and I'm such a fan of the race and im not a huge power min maxer, but DE is such a bad race for it with the bad stats, and the racial hife and vision being overwritten by the abilities the class gets anyway. Its such a damn shame.

Aaramis
10-07-2019, 06:19 PM
As a ranger on live, I used to arrow kite with snare all over the karanas

Then velious came out and I fear kited cougars.

Still a bad soloer compared to some, but better than others.

Yep, it's not completely horrible.
And, if you know what you're doing, you can kill HGs at 35+ just like the rest of them - with some luck ;)