PDA

View Full Version : Starting erud wiz. Talk me out of it.

Erratic Hippo
09-27-2019, 10:21 PM
I am on the edge of the building here guys. Someone talk me down safely.

loramin
09-27-2019, 10:28 PM
Your character will become less powerful and useful over time.

That's all I got: play what makes you happy. And if that's a wizard, I don't think there's a better time in the classic EQ timeline to do so than in the original (vanilla) classic era.

Vexenu
09-27-2019, 10:29 PM
Probably the best time to be a Wiz. INT gear is plentiful in classic, melee DPS is low, Hate and Sky are the best raiding zones in the game until Kunark release (Nov. 2020). Now or never, I'd say.

DMN
09-27-2019, 10:43 PM
Well, there is no better time to be a wizard but i'd suggest a dark elf so you can generally safely go AFK while meditating back all your mana.

Canelek
09-27-2019, 10:47 PM
Well, there is no better time to be a wizard but i'd suggest a dark elf so you can generally safely go AFK while meditating back all your mana.

This, and solid cash generation via translocate ports.

Never underestimate Hide! Just make sure to con indifferent vs a mob first!

Tethler
09-27-2019, 11:13 PM
The tall-ass hood looks dumb

Jibartik
09-27-2019, 11:24 PM
You are at the edge of a building... facing its doorway on the ground floor, ready to start your first day at the most successful company in all of norrath get on in there what are you waiting for! Your corner office is waiting!

Madbad
09-27-2019, 11:40 PM
lets be real wizards ain't a corner office, more like they put your desk in the bathroom

ScottBerta
09-27-2019, 11:50 PM
If that’s what you want go for it. You will be saying what if the entire time if you don’t.

Halfcell
09-28-2019, 12:32 AM
You will never, ever get the chance to fully realize your character's potential, and will spend the rest of your EQ time wishing you would get that opportunity. Wizards become the best DPS in the game by a substantial margin, and easily the most fun class.... in Luclin, which your toon will never see.

It's like rolling a toon who is Justin Timberlake, but is trapped as a Mouskateer forever.

It's like rolling a toon who is Tom Cruise, forever trapped in Cocktail.

It's like rolling a toon who is Donald Trump, stuck forever in a commercial for Trump Steaks.

You will never ever be what you could be.

Cen
09-28-2019, 01:13 AM
Dark elves are the best Wizard race, and Wizards are also the best Dark Elf class.

Unlike other Dark Elf classes, the stats or skills given aren't superfluous or detrimental to the class. You can worship Solusek Ro as a Dark Elf wizard, which gives better faction across the board than being Agnostic (higher KoT and PoM and Temple of Ro factions, everything else is the same as Agnostic). Hide is powerful for the class who sits and meds a lot and doesn't end up killing a pet companion like Necro/Mage.

Only enchanter is a close comparison, but that can battle with high elf for supremacy.

So im not talking you out of Wizard, just talking you into a DE :)

huehue

Chortles Snort|eS
09-28-2019, 06:37 AM
I played a wiz on live and have NEVER had the desire to roll one EVER again throughout my 8 year emu career here.

Palemoon
09-28-2019, 08:23 AM
Wizard is something I've never played past level 20 or so and I too am strongly considering it for a change.

Will wizards get random xp groups? And I mean without a second thought/pity invite.

Fammaden
09-28-2019, 01:26 PM
For some reason after starting and stopping a couple classes I stuck with wizard back in era. It was rough. I'm with the troll dude, despite being a major alt addict on P99 I won't do a wizard again, ever.

Yes, during Luclin and PoP I became a god, but meh, I'd have rather enjoyed being relevant during the golden age. Porting is fun to be able to do but you can just play a druid and have 100 times the utility. The biggest draw would be novelty in not as many people playing wizards.

Cen
09-28-2019, 01:32 PM
Wizard is something I've never played past level 20 or so and I too am strongly considering it for a change.

Will wizards get random xp groups? And I mean without a second thought/pity invite.

You only need to group until level 34 for efficiency, but you never really have to group. After 34 you shouldn't waste time with groups they will only slow you down ;D

Its easy to get groups in Highkeep from 24-34 for the double experience there, but maybe green might be overcrowded so if you mean green, youll have to check it and port away to solo periodically ;D

Jibartik
09-28-2019, 01:39 PM
I predict the select few that start in Odus will have a very grand and memorable adventure on gree99 month 1

Go for it!

Chortles Snort|eS
09-28-2019, 01:42 PM
Porting is fun to be able to do but you can just play a druid and have 100 times the utility.

turbosilk
09-28-2019, 01:42 PM
This is the best time to play a wizard through Kunark. The erudite have a big leg up with the extra int.

Lojik
09-28-2019, 01:43 PM
I'll go against the grain here. Do it. If you have any interest in raiding wiz will be great on green, eru is min max choice too. Guilds will need a lot of numbers to take down classic stuff, wiz will be best DPS v. Dragons since pets are useless with dragon roar. Melee will be gimped until kunark, and even then it will take a while for all melee to gear up. Kunark is peak wizard power v. Raid targets with 32k HP or less, and only a handful of rogues will get epics before velious. Even part way through velious wizards will be strong raid DPS, by the time melee start to be well geared you can quest for giant and dragon bane.

In groups you won't be awful. Some dungeons evac might come in handy, stuns are helpful and burst DPS might be needed. It's not much of an issue now on blue since melee are geared to the teeth stuff dies fast anyway. You might even be able to get Seb groups as most people won't have much time to gear up all their melee toons. I really think people don't realize how much 8 years of kunark has tilted the scales in favor melee.

Baler
09-28-2019, 01:46 PM
Velious is a great reason not to make a wizard. Arguably wizard is the weakest class in velious.

Jimjam
09-28-2019, 02:06 PM
As well as having best int erud has best mr.

Isey
09-28-2019, 03:37 PM
It's like rolling a toon who is Tom Cruise, forever trapped in Cocktail.

You will never ever be what you could be.

Blasphemy. His second best movie after Top Gun!

Vizax_Xaziv
09-28-2019, 04:05 PM
Raiding Wizards will be in high demand throughout the life of Green. During Classic they're quite strong due to the low-HP of mobs. One Wizzy nuke is a solid 70% off a mobs healthbar. This will be quite useful in groups w the ability to burn mobs down quickly on bad pulls etc. They can also play a backup-CC role w their large number of Roots and Stuns.

Kunark is quite a bit tougher where your nukes start to only deal 25-30% of a mobs HP while consuming the same % of your Mana - making them less-than-ideal in groups. Again though, with the lack of available melee gear, I could see Wizzies getting groups in places like Seb alot more frequently than you see on Green.
Kunark raiding on the other hand Wizards really shine against the 32k dragons.

Quadding is VERY fast XP (especially if you keep C/C2 on yourself) and you can make alot of plat doing so, but it also tends to get quite boring.

The demand for ports to Hate and Sky will likely be higher than the supply of Wizards making them potentially quite lucrative for money-making (even on modern-day Blue I've had people offer my Wizard several hundred plat PER GROUP for ports to Hate)