PDA

View Full Version : Green auction tracker?

Budder
09-27-2019, 06:54 AM
Will there be an auction tracker for the green server? I for one use the blue one for buying and selling and it’s a great tool. I’m sure the economy will be way different on green since the most mundane weapons and armor on blue will be more valuable and harder to get on green.

Fammaden
09-27-2019, 06:59 AM
Semi related: hopefully they disable item linking on green for an awesome classic appropriate change.

BlackBellamy
09-27-2019, 08:25 AM
Semi related: hopefully they disable item linking on green for an awesome classic appropriate change.

That would be classic, but in the end I'm just typing that text into the wiki window right next to my EQ window, so it's just more typing and clicking to get the same info. That wouldn't be a classic change like the med book, that would just give me more carpal tunnel.

Natewest1987
09-27-2019, 08:59 AM
That would be classic, but in the end I'm just typing that text into the wiki window right next to my EQ window, so it's just more typing and clicking to get the same info. That wouldn't be a classic change like the med book, that would just give me more carpal tunnel.

Carpal tunnel is classic AF

Hoppkins_Wytchfinder
09-27-2019, 09:00 AM
Will there be an auction tracker for the green server? I for one use the blue one for buying and selling and it’s a great tool. I’m sure the economy will be way different on green since the most mundane weapons and armor on blue will be more valuable and harder to get on green.

It will be chaos :)

The most mundane things will be valuable but most people wont have hardly any plat.

I forsee actual trading (E.g. for goods) as well as money. Exciting.

BlackBellamy
09-27-2019, 10:11 AM
It will be chaos :)

The most mundane things will be valuable but most people wont have hardly any plat.

I forsee actual trading (E.g. for goods) as well as money. Exciting.

I have about a dozen locs in Nek where walker skels pop. I will be the Cracked Staff Queen of Nektulos!

Jibartik
09-27-2019, 10:17 AM
Set it up in Kelethin!

If you build it, they will come.

:p

loramin
09-27-2019, 11:05 AM
I don't think the staff has said, but I suspect item linking will be on Green despite being unclassic. Very few things trump classic here, but one of them is "making a server the staff can actually support with its all volunteer team."

My understanding was that item links helped cut back on a large amount of player fraud, so it seems logical that the staff would keep them, not because they're unclassic, but because they save the staff time to deal with other player issues (eg. "he took my gnoll!" ;))

As for an auction tracker, I see three possibilities:

Ravhin (the creator of the original wiki auction tracker) could rise from his grave and add a Green version (the "rise from his grave" part is only half-joking: he did stop playing for awhile, but he came back and posted a couple weeks ago, so while I haven't heard from him since, and he never committed to doing this in any way ... it could still happen)
Someone else can make one. We've had (at least) two external auction trackers that I know of, AHungry's (Greengrocer's) and the P99 Tunnel. If Ravhin doesn't give us one, I suspect someone will step up.
No one will step up, and we'll have no Green auction tracker. Live didn't have one, and it's not the end of the world.

There's also very small possibility of #4, which is sort of a cross of #1 and #2: someone who knows PHP could build an entirely new auction tracker for the wiki. But that's pretty unlikely.

Even if #3 happens, I don't think it will go on forever. Just based on this server's history, someone will wind up building something.

(It just won't be me, because I detest PHP, and keep myself busy enough with wiki projects that I don't need to build an entire separate auction site.)

Danth
09-27-2019, 11:11 AM

GM and admin staff members have posted in numerous threads over the years that they regard item linking as of critical importance in reducing scamming and hence keeping their own workload down. Unless they have a change of heart it'll remain in place. While not a 100% certainty, this is a case where it's best to assume it'll be on "green" until proven otherwise.

Danth

Fammaden
09-27-2019, 11:26 AM
GM and admin staff members have posted in numerous threads over the years that they regard item linking as of critical importance in reducing scamming and hence keeping their own workload down. Unless they have a change of heart it'll remain in place. While not a 100% certainty, this is a case where it's best to assume it'll be on "green" until proven otherwise.

Danth

Good to know, thanks.

Soothsayer
09-27-2019, 01:40 PM
An auction tracker specifically for green would be a godsend! As an aside, I'm very curious as to what the green economy will look like for the first couple of months.

brussel
09-27-2019, 04:16 PM
What is the blue auction tracker? There have been a couple of iterations that eventually got killed by various scumbags, I never knew another took over?

loramin
09-27-2019, 04:38 PM
What is the blue auction tracker? There have been a couple of iterations that eventually got killed by various scumbags, I never knew another took over?

The wiki has the longest-running one. It's a custom PHP extension written by Ravhin (like a mini-program that runs inside the wiki itself).

As for the other two, http://www.p99tunnel.com/ is clearly gone. http://ahungry.com/eqauctions is still around, but I think it lacks a lot of newer (ie. Velious) stuff.

BTW, our action tracker is missing some stuff too. Some of it is just because not enough people have submitted WTS logs for that item, but some are because the wiki has a list of all the items that the auction tracker uses, and it's got gaps.

I added a bunch awhile back, but I guess I missed some, so someone needs to figure out the set that is missing and go get them from Allakhazam, or wherever it was they came from originally. If anyone cares about this enough to put some time into it, let me know and I can explain where to get started on finding the fix.