PDA

View Full Version : Will you play a monk or necro to start?

Tr4c3r
09-25-2019, 07:43 PM
I am wondering for the people who love to play Monk and Necro on blue if will you start green as one? Or will you play something different until you can create an iksar?

Bardp1999
09-25-2019, 08:04 PM
Cant go wrong with either. If I play it will be necro

bwe
09-25-2019, 08:04 PM
Iksar should be nerfed

Vexenu
09-25-2019, 08:39 PM
The Iksar racials really are completely silly for these two classes. I still think Iksar Monks should never have been a thing at all. They should have made them Rogues instead. Fits the lore better and doesn't result in such a huge power discrepancy vs. Human Monks (that they really increased naked Iksar fist delay by 1 and somehow thought this remotely balanced out regen, AC bonus, forage, infravision and +FR boggles my mind).

And they should have capped Iksars at 200 INT if they let them be Necros at all. Something, anything to balance out that regen. The overwhelming supremacy of Iksar Necros and Monks has always been a black eye on the game, in my opinion.

Deathrydar
09-25-2019, 08:50 PM
Maybe Necro, maybe magician.

BlackBellamy
09-25-2019, 08:59 PM
Iksar should be nerfed

If I give you six backpacks of Red Wine, will you love me then?

tsuchang
09-25-2019, 10:55 PM
Yup, one or both of those, An Iki shaman is a good choice too.
Some folks like warriors, but not me. That was my first class choice when I first rolled a character on EQ. A human warrior in Freeport. I deleted him and made a monk.

Sonark
09-25-2019, 11:02 PM
The Iksar racials really are completely silly for these two classes. I still think Iksar Monks should never have been a thing at all. They should have made them Rogues instead. Fits the lore better and doesn't result in such a huge power discrepancy vs. Human Monks (that they really increased naked Iksar fist delay by 1 and somehow thought this remotely balanced out regen, AC bonus, forage, infravision and +FR boggles my mind).

And they should have capped Iksars at 200 INT if they let them be Necros at all. Something, anything to balance out that regen. The overwhelming supremacy of Iksar Necros and Monks has always been a black eye on the game, in my opinion.Genuine question, then:

Should Ogres not be allowed to be Warriors, and should Trolls not be allowed to be Shaman?

Gustoo
09-26-2019, 12:45 AM
Ogre shaman is a billion times better than troll.

But iksar Necro and monk make players not roll those classes in classic because iksar so much better.

So kinda sad. Theyre just way way better.

Obviously nothing is going to change here but I liked original balance better as well. It's not a black eye but it makes classic timeline necros and monks who don't wait for iksars a real hard choice since we know they're coming

On non pvp it's easy to justify. Be a good race and enjoy the game more. For pve the iksar superiority doesn't matter.

But for red it's a toon youd wanna delete when kunark launches

DMN
09-26-2019, 02:42 AM
Ogre shaman is a billion times better than troll.

Certainly not true in vanilla EQ.

But iksar Necro and monk make players not roll those classes in classic because iksar so much better.

I think it's a much bigger deal for monks. At least a necro can go gnome for wall hacks and they already have all their life drain spells and what not and the regen isn't that great until you are 50+ post kunark. You could argue the exp penalty would make up nearly as much if not more than the hp regen difference between 50-60. Iksar are certainly better overall but it's really not that big of a deal, especially since necros post kunark tend to be not terribly relevant in end game raiding anyway. Could even put all your points in STR too to carry more loot for the hell of it. Not going to make much difference.

GnomeCaptain
09-26-2019, 02:47 AM
EQ designers succumbed to temptation to make a new race OP in order to boost expansion sales.

Sillyturtle
09-26-2019, 05:12 AM
I don’t even know if I’m going to play now with how bad some of these changes are but if I do it won’t be a mana class. Fuck staring at a book until whatever patch implements level 35 bookless meditate.

Sonark
09-26-2019, 05:28 AM
EQ designers succumbed to temptation to make a new race OP in order to boost expansion sales.Iksar Monks aren't going to be doing content a human monk with the same gear, game knowledge and play skill can't do.

Same goes for Necromancers.

Vexenu
09-26-2019, 07:15 AM
Genuine question, then:

Should Ogres not be allowed to be Warriors, and should Trolls not be allowed to be Shaman?
The size is a real drawback for the large races. So while they are unquestionably the min max choice statistically, they do have actual gameplay weaknesses to consider. Iksar Monks and Necros have no such drawbacks. They are a pure upgrade with zero downside, save the XP penalty and faction issues (the latter which doesn't really matter for Monks and Necros anyway).

soronil
09-26-2019, 08:18 AM
I don’t even know if I’m going to play now with how bad some of these changes are but if I do it won’t be a mana class. Fuck staring at a book until whatever patch implements level 35 bookless meditate.

Keep up. The original post was mostly trolling. The screen will not go black (I assume he used a /viewport macro to do that). You'll have the spell book up but it only takes up a small part of the screen.

Jibartik
09-26-2019, 09:40 AM
The size is a real drawback for the large races. So while they are unquestionably the min max choice statistically, they do have actual gameplay weaknesses to consider. Iksar Monks and Necros have no such drawbacks. They are a pure upgrade with zero downside, save the XP penalty and faction issues (the latter which doesn't really matter for Monks and Necros anyway).

Well I bet the dumb designers didn't know that you could bank while FD so they probubly thought Iksar would only be able to bank and merchant on Kunark. I bet that would actually be pretty annoying if it was not faction fixable etc and was like, 99.9999 merchants were KOS to your Iksar.

ScottBerta
09-26-2019, 10:50 AM
All classses that can be Ogre should be Ogre

Tyronius of Midnight
09-26-2019, 11:05 AM
The Necromancer is the only path. Total destruction to the Elves of Faydwer is what I choose to do.

Danth
09-26-2019, 11:34 AM
Ignoring the min/max debate, there's a practical consideration here: Kunark lasts for barely more than 7 months. A moderate-rate player (some hours a day, most but not all days) will easily take the majority of that 7 months to do 50 to 60 even if he stays solely on one character. If he plays alts as well, it'll take all of it or he might not make 60 prior to Velious opening. If that same moderate player is starting from level 1, forget doing any high-level content in Kunark until after Velious is out.

Point being: If you want to experience the max-level game during Kunark and aren't a high-hours player, don't wait for Iksar.

Danth

tsuchang
09-26-2019, 07:49 PM
I had a friend who often complained how classes and races kept being nerfed to "make it more fair".
I agree with his sentiment of "If you don't like an Iksar shaman being more powerful than you, roll one and be powerful too. Or learn to play your character well enough to beat em."

Sonark
09-26-2019, 08:31 PM
It's more "powerful" with a very heavy emphasis on the quotation.

It's not A LOT more powerful.

It's not noticeably more powerful.

It's not a head and shoulders difference, or just a half head difference.

It's "we need the parse to figure this out oh look Iksar perform a bit better sort of. If you squint."