PDA

View Full Version : Fine Plate in at launch?

dekova
09-25-2019, 04:19 PM
I'm poked around the P99 patch notes to see if there's a mention of when fine plate was added (and thus would be added to green) but either it's not there or I'm missing it. Do one of you guys have some insight into when we should see it in game on green?

Wenai
09-25-2019, 04:26 PM
I'm poked around the P99 patch notes to see if there's a mention of when fine plate was added (and thus would be added to green) but either it's not there or I'm missing it. Do one of you guys have some insight into when we should see it in game on green?

Danth made a post recently saying he thought it came in with a trade skill update during Kunark. That is really the only info I have.

loramin
09-25-2019, 04:33 PM
I'm pretty certain (... based entirely on memory ... and we know how reliable that is) that Fine Plate dye was added significantly later on. I can't remember if Fine Plate and the dye were both added at once though, or if Fine Plate already existed prior.

Danth
09-25-2019, 04:57 PM
Danth made a post recently saying he thought it came in with a trade skill update during Kunark. That is really the only info I have.

I don't have a whole lot more than that myself, going mainly off memory.

Did a quick scour of archived/old websites and it strongly suggests fine plate (as well as dye for it) was added in the big tradeskill patch in september 2000. I notice no mention on various sites of anything better than banded prior to then and one post from EQ-traders in mid 2000 of smiths "soon" being able to make plate, with the recipes added to that site by October 2000.

Personally I'd love to be wrong. Bubbles made the wife and I sets of fine plate on P99 in 2009 and being able to skip Rubicite and its associated drama would be a nice convenience.

Danth

Sunderfury
09-25-2019, 05:19 PM
This is a newsgroup post previewing upcoming changes (posted 09/07/00) (https://groups.google.com/forum/#!searchin/alt.games.everquest/%22Fine$20plate%22|sort:date/alt.games.everquest/-rTvY0DnnW4/dxMYRFnVOE0J) (seems same time as cultural is introduced... interesting that other basic weapon / shield recipes seem to be added in as well):
Posted by Yakatizma, moderator of "Coalition of Tradesfolk" on EQ
messageboards (09/07/00)
It is known when these changes may be implemented but that smithing changes
(and other trade skill changes) are coming is no longer in doubt.

There are a lot of threads being posted on the topic of the cultural forges,
racial armors, and magical armors that are currently on the test server. The
new blacksmithing content is still being added to and altered on a daily
basis, thus certain aspects of it will not be commented on until it goes
live. I will however address some of the concerns that have been posted.
I. General Blacksmithing
Many new tools and materials are being introduced that will be used within
the blacksmithing trade.
Many of the new general blacksmithing products are materials that will be in
demand for other trade skills such as arrowheads for fletching, tools for
tinkers, etc.

II. Chain Classes and Smithing Upgrades
Chainmail wearing classes are receiving upgrades as well as the plate
wearing classes, including cultural chainmails and magical chainmails.
Banded Armor is the standard blacksmithed chain class armor. The materials
for banded are readily available and it has a broad market since it can be
produced cheaply by all races and in sizes for all races.

III. Plate Classes and Smithing Upgrades
Plate wearing classes are finally receiving craftable plate, which can be
produced in a variety of colors. In addition there will be craftable
cultural plate armors. Fine Plate is the standard blacksmithed plate class
armor. The materials are readily available, requiring only a little
traveling and currency, and it has a broad market since any smith can
produce it in a variety of colors and sizes for all races.

IV. Weapons and Smithing Upgrades
A wider variety of weapons will be capable of being smithed and cultural
weapons will be introduced. Forged Weapons are the standard blacksmithed
weapons. The materials are readily available and the weapons have a broad
market since they can be produced cheaply by any smith for any race.

V. Shields and Smithing Upgrades
Forged Shields will be capable of being produced by blacksmiths. Cultural
Shields will also be introduced. Forged Shields are the standard
blacksmithed shields. The materials are readily available and the shields
have a broad market since they can be produced cheaply by any smith in sizes
for any race.

VI. Cultural Armors, Weapons, and Shields!
Rumors of these items have been causing quite a stir here on the Coalition
of Tradesfolk board. The Cultural items are not profit making items for a
smith. The materials are rare and expensive and the chance of failure to
successfully craft a cultural item is high. In addition, the market for
these items is very small being restricted to only a few races per culture.
Obtaining your class specific quest armor is a cakewalk in comparison to
obtaining smithed cultural armor. The primary purpose of the cultural
smithing is to provide more cultural distinction to Everquest and enhance
the role-playing environment.

Q: Are all races capable of wearing at least one of the cultural
blacksmithed armors?
A: Yes

Are all races capable of forging at least one cultural blacksmithed armor?
A: No

Q: Why Not?
A: Several reasons, most of which have been brought up by players on the
Coalition of Tradesfolk board. The main reason is why I call it Cultural
Smithing instead of Racial Smithing. I'll use dwarves as an example. Kaladim
is a mining city and the best dwarven blacksmiths are revered as heroes.
They are heroes because of their "unique" blacksmithing techniques and
secrets that allows them to forge armor that no one else can, like the
Bloodforge Armor that the dwarven npc's produce. Sharing those smithing
secrets and techniques would greatly diminish their importance. Dwarven
players who have a love of blacksmithing are simply now given the means to
reach for and achieve that status "within" their culture, but crafting that
ultimate suit of magical imbued dwarven brellium platemail is harder than
any other quest that dwarven player can attempt.

Q: What races have their own Cultural Forges and who can wear the Armor they
produce?
A: Dwarves can craft Brellium armor that can also be worn by Gnomes and
Halflings.
High Elves can craft Mithril armor that can also be worn by Wood Elves and
Half Elves.
Dark Elves can craft Adamantite armor that can also be worn by Half Elves.
Ogres can craft Adamantite armor that can also be worn by Trolls.
Humans can craft High Quality Ore armors that can also be worn by
Barbarians, Erudites, and Half Elves.
Iksar can craft Skyiron armor that can only be worn by Iksars.
Barbarians culturally do not prefer plate armors but do have a chain class
armor in addition to their line of weapons.
Gnomes have a forge that will be used in conjunction with tinkering to
produce some gnome only cultural suits of armor.

Q: Will other races have cultural products produced by trade skills?
A: Yes. Erudite craftsmen are known for producing some of the finest robes
and silks. Halflings are travelers and collectors; thus have a cultural
demand for comfortable leathers and lightweight bags. Wood elves admire
intricate leatherworking and Kelethin is home to Norraths finest fletchers.
Iksars have an abundance of rich clay at their disposal and have a long
history of crafting fine pottery, plus their claws are great for intricate
etching. Trolls...well, trolls eat a lot.

Q: What about Half Elves?
A: Half Elves are a unique case. They have no culture of their own. The Half
Elf advantage is that they can use more of the cultural items than any other
race. Their disadvantage is that they have no cultural items of their own.

dekova
09-25-2019, 05:42 PM
So it seems that it was added post launch on live, but we don't really know if it's date-locked on P99.

So I guess we just check to see if vendors are stocking plate molds once we're live.

Jibartik
09-25-2019, 05:46 PM
All I know is in classic, the only people wearing plate armor were people wearing shin greeves or bronze.

kaev
09-25-2019, 06:13 PM
All I know is in classic, the only people wearing plate armor were people wearing shin greeves or bronze.

Almost true!
There were a very few who bought the ridiculously expensive plate from vendors.

Although fine plate and cultural were announced together they were not released together. My half elf paladin smith (lol) on Tunare server made a fair bit of coin selling fine plate during the months before cultural came out, at which point I (temporarily) ragequit because no cutural could be made by half elfs.

Soothsayer
09-25-2019, 10:55 PM
Personally I'd love to be wrong. Bubbles made the wife and I sets of fine plate on P99 in 2009 and being able to skip Rubicite and its associated drama would be a nice convenience.

Danth

What drama? I've never played pre-60 EQ, so I'm not familiar with CT or anything, but it looks like Rubicite drops off of various named mobs in camps like Throne Room, et cetera. If the player in the group needs the armor, what drama is there in rolling for it? :confused:

I was hoping to get a set myself for my warrior since it doesn't look too terribly difficult to obtain.

soronil
09-26-2019, 08:13 AM
What drama? I've never played pre-60 EQ, so I'm not familiar with CT or anything, but it looks like Rubicite drops off of various named mobs in camps like Throne Room, et cetera. If the player in the group needs the armor, what drama is there in rolling for it? :confused:

I was hoping to get a set myself for my warrior since it doesn't look too terribly difficult to obtain.

Look at the p99 wiki for the prices rubicite sells for today. Now consider that on green it will also be the best armor pre planes (on blue it is fashion quest only)

I would not be surprised if the chest was on the list system.

Soothsayer
09-26-2019, 09:37 AM
Look at the p99 wiki for the prices rubicite sells for today. Now consider that on green it will also be the best armor pre planes (on blue it is fashion quest only)

I would not be surprised if the chest was on the list system.

That just sounds totally ridiculous to me, lol.

Why should someone have the right to roll for an item that they'll simply store in their banks for years until they can eventually sell it on the musty, old, stale blue server? I want to get as far away from blue as possible, and I don't want to have to deal with greedy jerks playing some weirdo long game at my tank's expense.

soronil
09-26-2019, 12:15 PM

Why should someone have the right to roll for an item that they'll simply store in their banks for years until they can eventually sell it on the musty, old, stale blue server? I want to get as far away from blue as possible, and I don't want to have to deal with greedy jerks playing some weirdo long game at my tank's expense.

But who's to say how the game should be played? You want the item to make your character better, someone else wants the item to look cool, someone else wants a lot of platinum.

It is unfortunate that the best pre-planar armor also happens to be so unique looking and so limited, but you'll have to take that up with whoever made these decisions 20 years ago!

Aaramis
09-26-2019, 01:06 PM
Almost true!
There were a very few who bought the ridiculously expensive plate from vendors.

Although fine plate and cultural were announced together they were not released together. My half elf paladin smith (lol) on Tunare server made a fair bit of coin selling fine plate during the months before cultural came out, at which point I (temporarily) ragequit because no cutural could be made by half elfs.

I remember this distinctly too. Seeing someone in full purchased plate in the EC tunnel back in classic EQ was crazy, not just for fashion but also knowing how much money was sunk into that purchase.
IIRC it was a DE SK too, which made it just look damn cool.

Wenai
09-26-2019, 07:26 PM

At Blue launch, everyone passed the Rubicite to the tanks. If you wanted it for collection reasons, you went after you were 50 and soloed camps for the pieces. I doubt that will happen on Green however.

Nagoya
09-26-2019, 07:32 PM
But who's to say how the game should be played? You want the item to make your character better, someone else wants the item to look cool, someone else wants a lot of platinum.

It is unfortunate that the best pre-planar armor also happens to be so unique looking and so limited, but you'll have to take that up with whoever made these decisions 20 years ago!

for what it's worth, some people might wanna loot it and just hit the destroy button, why not?

Cyph
09-26-2019, 07:34 PM
Rubi BP will be definitely sort after, for stats (regen) and looks.

Wenai
09-26-2019, 07:36 PM
Rubi BP will be definitely sort after, for stats (regen) and looks.

Yes. This was a very popular solo camp for 50 shamans looking to squeeze out some more Regeneration. :)

Seungkyu
09-27-2019, 07:44 AM
I remember this distinctly too. Seeing someone in full purchased plate in the EC tunnel back in classic EQ was crazy, not just for fashion but also knowing how much money was sunk into that purchase.
IIRC it was a DE SK too, which made it just look damn cool.

Wait, I was a DE SK in full plate. Maybe I wasn't the only guy, what server were you on?

People used to run from me thinking I was a dragoon npc.

Vivix
10-01-2019, 01:56 AM
So I am guessing that means no cultural armor for a while. Does anyone know what the best crafted plate armor will be on green launch?

soronil
10-01-2019, 04:38 PM
So I am guessing that means no cultural armor for a while. Does anyone know what the best crafted plate armor will be on green launch?

There is no crafted plate armor on green launch. Just banded.
The progression is
banded > bronze > rubicite > planar
With mixed dungeon pieces thrown in

Temple of solusek Ro opens up after 6 or 7 months and has mid level class armor for most classes.

Vendors offer plate armor, but it will set you back thousands...

kaev
10-01-2019, 04:49 PM
There is no crafted plate armor on green launch. Just banded.
The progression is
banded > bronze > rubicite > planar
With mixed dungeon pieces thrown in

Temple of solusek Ro opens up after 6 or 7 months and has mid level class armor for most classes.

Vendors offer plate armor, but it will set you back thousands...

"Crafted" (the warrior mid-level quest set) came out prior to the other mid-level class armors. (Crafted's popularity supposedly led to the introduction of the others but no doubt they were already under development.)

Similarly, in Kunark, Fiery Avenger came out and the quest was completed before the other epics were put in to the game (including Fiery Defender when high-end raiding paladins of the time were vocally unimpressed with FA.)

Aaramis
10-01-2019, 05:05 PM
Wait, I was a DE SK in full plate. Maybe I wasn't the only guy, what server were you on?

Lanys T'Vyl.

soronil
10-01-2019, 05:59 PM
"Crafted" (the warrior mid-level quest set) came out prior to the other mid-level class armors. (Crafted's popularity supposedly led to the introduction of the others but no doubt they were already under development.)

Similarly, in Kunark, Fiery Avenger came out and the quest was completed before the other epics were put in to the game (including Fiery Defender when high-end raiding paladins of the time were vocally unimpressed with FA.)

Yes warriors can quest "Crafted" armor.

The post i quoted (and was responding too) was asking about "player crafted" armor (context clues being mentioning cultural and then asking what "the best crafted" implying he wans't talking about "Crafted")

kaev
10-01-2019, 06:32 PM
Yes warriors can quest "Crafted" armor.

The post i quoted (and was responding too) was asking about "player crafted" armor (context clues being mentioning cultural and then asking what "the best crafted" implying he wans't talking about "Crafted")

Yep, you mentioned the mid-level armor so I thought I'd add that the warrior set came out before Temple of Sol Ro. Verant did that with a few things, run one class version up the flagpole to see who'd salute, then roll out the rest. I suppose I could've quoted just the one line of your post to make it clear that I was expanding on something you'd said, rather than countering your post.