PDA

View Full Version : Are You Here More for a "Fresh Start" or for "Classic"?

Wurl
09-24-2019, 08:17 PM
Every time I think about getting a fresh start on Green99 I get excited! I didn't hear about P99 until Kunark had been in place for several years, so the server was really stale already. It will be a lot of fun to start over on a clean P99 server with a fresh economy and with everyone on an even playing field.

Then while I'm excited, I read a post that sounds moaning and zombie-like: "unnnggghhhh, claaaasssiiiccc". "nooooo hotkeeeyysss, noooo graaaphhiccss while meddiiinnggg, nooo pet windoowww, cliiiiick meeediiitaaattee". After that I always get a little bummed out, and it's slightly harder to be excited.

Don't get me wrong, I'm still hyped to play. I just assume most people feel like me, and don't really care about the "historical accuracy" of the server, as long as it feels about as classic as blue does currently. Maybe I'm wrong though!

Fammaden
09-24-2019, 08:23 PM
Where's the option for both?

Wurl
09-24-2019, 08:24 PM
Where's the option for both?
Which are you MORE excited for :)

GhostCow
09-24-2019, 08:41 PM
Fresh start. The early days of p99 were the most fun. Plenty of people to group with at every level and all kinds of fun loot that either won't exist later (bugged DE mask) or will be much harder to get later (jboots)

zaneosak
09-24-2019, 08:46 PM
Needs to be a "both"
I quit p99 because my necro could not find a place to solo regularly when I was able to play (I work alot and when I have a few hours, if howling stone was camped, I was kind of screwed)
I also wish I would have been around p99 when it first came out -- I didn't come until Kunark was already released and quit again until Velious came out.
So I am happy to start fresh again without everybody being a twink and also excited to try the game in it's original form as close as possible!

Vizax_Xaziv
09-24-2019, 08:49 PM
Agree w/ the above. I choose "C) Both"

In fact I'd say the two choices are largely one and the same insofar as EVERYONE "starting fresh" (the lack of twinkage, high level buffs, easy rezzes etc) inherently makes the game feel more "Classic"

soronil
09-24-2019, 09:03 PM
I don't think you'll find many people that would say "I'm playing green because there are only 6 hotbar buttons." But, the efforts to recreate classic involve hundreds of such changes, and all together do create a more classic feel. Some changes are less popular than others, but where to draw the line? I think " as classic as possible" is a good goal.

doldiboldi
09-24-2019, 09:05 PM
Fresh start with a population for me.

I know people may spit on me but my main ended up being a beastlord and really wish I could play that. At my age I wouldn't mind dulling some of the most painful points.

With that said how many cuts do you allow before it becomes a hot mess?

Fammaden
09-24-2019, 09:16 PM
I don't think you'll find many people that would say "I'm playing green because there are only 6 hotbar buttons." But, the efforts to recreate classic involve hundreds of such changes, and all together do create a more classic feel. Some changes are less popular than others, but where to draw the line? I think " as classic as possible" is a good goal.

At my age I wouldn't mind dulling some of the most painful points.

With that said how many cuts do you allow before it becomes a hot mess?

You have to draw the line somewhere and maintain the concept of what P99 is trying to do, which has always been to mimic...1999, not 2003 or later. The magic of this flawed and antiquated game has an intangible quality that's greater than the sum of its parts. You start modifying too many things and you screw up the recipe.

This has been by far the most successful attempt to recreate Everquest in every way so far. I'm giving them the benefit of the doubt to make the right decisions, even if removing some stuff we became accustomed to is an inconvenience or annoyance.

Wurl
09-24-2019, 09:25 PM
You have to draw the line somewhere and maintain the concept of what P99 is trying to do, which has always been to mimic...1999, not 2003 or later.
Personally, I would draw the line at "fun".

El-Hefe
09-24-2019, 09:32 PM
Personally, I would draw the line at "fun".

Which is exactly what Daybreak has been trying to do for Twenty years. Turns out when you make too many things “fun” the game starts to “suck balls”.

Wurl
09-24-2019, 09:34 PM
Turns out when you make too many things “fun” the game starts to “suck balls”.
Nice, this is hilarious, funny post!

brandon0515
09-24-2019, 09:37 PM
Classic experience... never got the chance to play when it was current and new to everybody.

Nollen

Snagglepuss
09-24-2019, 09:43 PM
I'm just confused as to why so many people play on a classic everquest server who don't actually like classic everquest.

GhostCow
09-24-2019, 09:45 PM
Most of us like Velious era Everquest. There's a reason it was the pinnacle. There were really no bad changes by that point that I can think of off the top of my head and all of the worst mistakes had been corrected. Velious mechanics with classic content and progression would be sweet

Wurl
09-24-2019, 09:51 PM
I'm just confused as to why so many people play on a classic everquest server who don't actually like classic everquest.
Oh I can answer that! It's the population, stability, and single-boxing.

doldiboldi
09-24-2019, 10:01 PM
People and community was always made the early MMOS great. The game was built to require it.

Vizax_Xaziv
09-24-2019, 10:09 PM
Which is exactly what Daybreak has been trying to do for Twenty years. Turns out when you make too many things “fun” the game starts to “suck balls”.

The DayBreak TLP servers are a TOTALLY different game and they're not even trying and/or pretending to provide a "classic experience."

They don't even use the the old-style zones. Removing things like blind-book-medding and the Hybrid Class penalties wouldn't hurt the server. At MOST you'd see a buncha more Pally, SK and Ranger players - which is perfectly fine by me.

Nagoya
09-24-2019, 10:57 PM
80% fresh start
20% classic

i'm hyped to play through the early days of a new server with high population, a stable server, etc.

i wouldn't be hyped at all if this was a EQ Live server, or even a Daybreak TLP server, so that fresh hype can only work if it is classic.

however i do agree that some of the proposed fix are a bummer a little bit.
but... it's necessary, and any concessions they do is a dangerous line to cross and -as was pointed out- exactly what EQ live went through IRL 20 years ago.

on one hand i'd do some of the things differently if i was in charge.
on the other hand, it's a free country and i could be in charge if i woke up earlier in the morning.

their project their rules.
we have the option to participate or not, and to voice our opinion.
they have the option to listen to us or not, and to state their opinion.
i like it this way.

Nilstoniakrath
09-24-2019, 11:41 PM
Classic. As in, no books, spires, bazaar, AA's, inflated gear, ridiculous ZEM zones, stupid lore like the Vah Shir; restoring original spell icons, spell book medding, original xp rates, mob locations and pathing and spawning, etc; all in favor of

The stuff that means nothing to actual gameplay, like old pseudo-UI's, pet window banning, bad lighting, no Luclin avatar option, that stuff gets no love. If something has zero or negligible impact on other players' game experience, imo, spend your efforts on other more material issues

Seriously, I have said this before, if your gonna do "classic" make earthquakes a real 6-18 hour server downtime like the patches were back in 1999 2000 and 2001, not an instant repop of all Norrath mobs. That would have a real impact on guild behavior, and mob availabilty, despite the obvious pain of the server downtime

At the end of the day, this is the devs' thing, whatever gets them through the day, more power to them, and thank you for your efforts

El-Hefe
09-25-2019, 02:52 AM
Classic. As in, no books, spires, bazaar, AA's, inflated gear, ridiculous ZEM zones, stupid lore like the Vah Shir; restoring original spell icons, spell book medding, original xp rates, mob locations and pathing and spawning, etc; all in favor of

The stuff that means nothing to actual gameplay, like old pseudo-UI's, pet window banning, bad lighting, no Luclin avatar option, that stuff gets no love. If something has zero or negligible impact on other players' game experience, imo, spend your efforts on other more material issues

Seriously, I have said this before, if your gonna do "classic" make earthquakes a real 6-18 hour server downtime like the patches were back in 1999 2000 and 2001, not an instant repop of all Norrath mobs. That would have a real impact on guild behavior, and mob availabilty, despite the obvious pain of the server downtime

At the end of the day, this is the devs' thing, whatever gets them through the day, more power to them, and thank you for your efforts

I thought you were making some okay points until you mentioned Luclin models, which are known to be the leading cause of clinical depression and cancerous tumors in America. They’re awful and shouldn’t even be an option to people on Live, let alone P99.

AbstractVision
09-25-2019, 04:21 AM
Mostly here for true classic, fresh start is bonus material.

Izmael
09-25-2019, 05:01 AM
I'm totally in for the fresh start.

On live, I started in 2000, maybe a couple months before Velious dropped.

Here, I started in 2014, also during Kunark. So I never experienced a fresh server (except Agnarr, but that was very, very far from classic EQ).

Deathrydar
09-25-2019, 06:48 AM
I guess I am for "fresh start", but I am also here for the classic experience. I played back when the blue server launched back in October of 2009 and there were a lot of differences now from then. I logged on for the first time in years last night, and I see the old skeleton models, the boats are working correctly, it is extremely exciting!

Now I am on blue running a few classes thru as much as I can to see what I want to play on green. I have never even dabbled with a INT caster, so I started a Magician and I will be trying a Necromancer as well. I was always a hybrid type player or a priest type of player.

So yeah....fresh start it is! But a fresh start in the classic experience!

Jethrayne
09-25-2019, 09:58 AM
I'll be here for the fresh start. I prefer a mostly classic experience, but there are some things about classic that I could live without.

Soothsayer
09-25-2019, 10:24 AM
Definitely a fresh start. I couldn't care less about the forced UI and what not, but I definitely want to experience some of the old zones. I started playing during the Velious cycle on Blue, so the server was already kind of old and tired by then with twinks everywhere and me feeling like I was miles behind everyone else. Nonsense like fungi tunics are detrimental to the spirit of the game IMHO, so I'm really looking forward to experiencing the game without fatcat twinks running around everywhere.

Getting a fresh start on an even playing field is something I will NOT miss.

Barantor
09-25-2019, 10:40 AM
Both in reality but the fresh start is driving it to be here so I went with that. I wasn't around for the truly classic experience though the friend that introduced me to the game was and talked about it a lot, as did my guild members.

I want to see what the hubbub is about and also play some more EQ, it's a good chance to see that and possibly get back into MMOs again after years of not finding any that really fit me as well as EQ/Lotro/Vanguard.