PDA

View Full Version : Exp Penalty Shunning

garfo
09-23-2019, 11:20 PM
Do yall really think that people will actively not invite someone to join a group due to exp penalties? That seems to be a big "given" around here when discussing the pros and cons of each class, but in my experience on p99 none of the playerbase is picky at all when it comes to group formation. Granted, this is on blue where exp penalties are long gone and just about everyone is on the 7th alt, but still -- i can't imagine someone a group not letting someone in because they're a paladin instead of a warrior, or not taking a bard, etc?

Nagoya
09-24-2019, 12:24 AM
used to play on p99 when xp penalty was still a thing.

1) people definitely know about it. and hate it. and talk about it. and make you feel bad about it.
2) most people still do invite you to groups. respect their lists. shut up once you start fighting.
3) sometimes you might lose a spot in a list. or not be invited into a group. it will happen. a few times. you will hate it.
4) sometimes you have to explain for a thousandth time how xp sharing works, and that you're only slowing down the xp by about 2% cause you're a lvl 18 paladin in a full group of lvl 21 incl. some troll shaman, a monk and a wizard and everyone is sucking XP anyway. and that mean that everyone is gonna ding in 2h03 instead of 2h00 and nobody should care.

in the end this is not gonna ruin your character. you can still group. most people are cool about it.

but yes it is a thing, and yes it will have an impact on your grouping capacities. a tiny bit. brace yourself /o/

Jibartik
09-24-2019, 12:50 AM
I will silently think to myself "this is wrong" when the alpha player of my group convinces us to turn on the poor innocent player lfg and we continue to get a bunch of xp as I slump into my shoulders trying not to be noticed by morality.

Or you know, on the forums I'll say that I will be a hero, and of course I will always invite all people LFG!

aaezil
09-24-2019, 12:54 AM
Just dont be higher lvl than the group ur trying to xp leech off of and you should be good

Good luck explaining to people that xp is split based on xp totals only though

Wurl
09-24-2019, 07:26 AM
used to play on p99 when xp penalty was still a thing.

1) people definitely know about it. and hate it. and talk about it. and make you feel bad about it.
2) most people still do invite you to groups. respect their lists. shut up once you start fighting.
3) sometimes you might lose a spot in a list. or not be invited into a group. it will happen. a few times. you will hate it.
4) sometimes you have to explain for a thousandth time how xp sharing works, and that you're only slowing down the xp by about 2% cause you're a lvl 18 paladin in a full group of lvl 21 incl. some troll shaman, a monk and a wizard and everyone is sucking XP anyway. and that mean that everyone is gonna ding in 2h03 instead of 2h00 and nobody should care.

in the end this is not gonna ruin your character. you can still group. most people are cool about it.

but yes it is a thing, and yes it will have an impact on your grouping capacities. a tiny bit. brace yourself /o/
Good and accurate post

YendorLootmonkey
09-24-2019, 07:45 AM
People are going to expect you to pull your weight. Don't be a hybrid that goes AFK a lot, or your group will quickly decide you are not worth your XP penalty.

Also, a significant subset of players will be trying to min-max their XP gain to access content and legacy item camps before they get crowded, so they will probably avoid hybrids while there are plenty of warriors, monks, rogues, and clerics LFG.

soronil
09-24-2019, 08:27 AM
Just dont be higher lvl than the group ur trying to xp leech off of and you should be good

Good luck explaining to people that xp is split based on xp totals only though

That's interesting though because as q hybrid tank, 2 more levels you are probably more valuable relative to the extra exp. 10 more points in def and offense and weapon skill, you will do a lot more damage and take a lot less damage. I personally would pick a slightly higher level tank.

Baa
09-24-2019, 08:34 AM
My first char in 2010 was a SK, had no issues getting groups - I imagine it will not be as forgiving as Green will have more people to compete with, but if you are alright at what you play and make yourself useful you will always find a group.

Used to drag people to CT and have much fun getting all the exp.

Hoppkins_Wytchfinder
09-24-2019, 08:48 AM
The problem there is unless you already know the people they have no way to know you will pull your weight other than letting you in the group.

In which case the whole subject is moot (which was people will avoid your class in favour of others)

Without visually seeing a group is full you dont really have a way to vet if the group was full or if they blew you off for someone else.

I had no idea of these xp penalties when Kunark was first out, granted i played cleric so it didnt matter anyway. However i would of taken anyone anyway.

Like you point out a crappy pure class character will probably slow a group down in comparison to an excellent hybrid player with a penalty modifier.

I wish i could say everyone will be so open. I expect some will read 1 sentance about this whole subject and black list hybrids.

zaneosak
09-24-2019, 10:54 AM
Not sure if anybody has the time to explain but I had an understanding (at least I thought) that XP penalties were a penalty to the characters total XP needed to earn a level. I have been using the XP google sheet on the wiki game mechanics page for years now and have done alot of testing with it and it's like 95% accurate. I am expanding it for classic era so the class mods and race mods are working correctly and was working on a group calculator as well just for fun but after reading this post I am a little confused. How does the XP Penalty effect anybody except the person with the penalty? Can anybody elaborate?

For example though -- I used the chart to figure out how many bloodgills my iksar necro had to kill last year from lvl 40 to 44 and every level was within 5 bloodgills accurate based on the Iksar penalty and the Lake of Ill Omen ZEM (which made me believe in the wiki ZEM values even more) Obviously the formula is simple with soloing mobs.

Edit: I think I figured it out after thinking through it for a second. Since a 20 SK has so much more total XP needed to earn than another lvl 20 (For example Druid) that when they duo together the SK gets a shit ton more of the cut of XP to compensate for the penalty?

aaezil
09-24-2019, 10:55 AM
That's interesting though because as q hybrid tank, 2 more levels you are probably more valuable relative to the extra exp. 10 more points in def and offense and weapon skill, you will do a lot more damage and take a lot less damage. I personally would pick a slightly higher level tank.

Depends entirely on the lvl of the mobs in question vs tanks lvl. . i.e. if you play a tank dont go looking for group in an area where the mob lvl is too close to your clvl or you will be super inefficient

Wurl
09-24-2019, 11:20 AM
Edit: I think I figured it out after thinking through it for a second. Since a 20 SK has so much more total XP needed to earn than another lvl 20 (For example Druid) that when they duo together the SK gets a shit ton more of the cut of XP to compensate for the penalty?
Yeah, being grouped with a same-level hybrid is like being grouped with a higher level guy: https://wiki.project1999.com/Game_Mechanics#How_Experience_Works

It's funny, no one would bat an eye at grouping with a warrior 2 levels higher than them, but take a same level SK and the same people are like "ugh my experience gain is going to be ruined!"

Erati
09-24-2019, 11:45 AM
It happens - alot

Hybrids need to form their own groups.