PDA

View Full Version : Mages in classic

oqrelord
09-23-2019, 05:50 PM
Are mages easy mode in classic? What are some of the advantages they will have at the onset that will get nerfed when green starts?

I'm debating between a mage and enchanter, but wonder if it's worth it to experience the mage brokenness i've heard about.

loramin
09-23-2019, 07:09 PM
First off, if you heard anything about Mage's getting 100% XP by doing 1% damage, that is (apparently) not a classic thing. That was some kind of bug Blue had early on, and Green will not have that bug, so (AFAIK) you'll still have to do at least 50% damage on Green to get full XP.

Now I have heard that Mage pets are a lot more powerful in classic, and that pet tanking worked vastly differently (up until Kunark pets could tank like a boss; there was no "mobs hit PCs over NPCs" rule). However, I don't think Blue ever had pets work that way, which implies Green won't either (but who knows).

So that just leaves more powerful pets as the only difference (I know of) between classic Mages and Blue ones. And I'm not even sure that difference will be on Green, so (as with many Green things) ... we'll just have to wait and see.

aaezil
09-23-2019, 07:24 PM
Its not that mages are better its just that rogues and most dps classes suck in classic

Jadian
09-23-2019, 07:43 PM
Are mages easy mode in classic? What are some of the advantages they will have at the onset that will get nerfed when green starts?

I'm debating between a mage and enchanter, but wonder if it's worth it to experience the mage brokenness i've heard about.

Easy mode? Yes. Mages are easier, enchanters can do more but require more work.

Vexenu
09-23-2019, 07:54 PM
90% of the Mage class is the pet, and the pet is basically the same whether you are naked or decked out in the best twink gear possible (even the Sol Ro quest focus items just add +HP to the pets, they don't increase their level or make them do more damage). And Mage pets are very strong even on the current Blue server. On a fresh Green server where there is zero twinking, Mage pets are unbelievably good when compared to ungeared melee toons. Even at the end of classic when melees are geared Mage pets are crazy good. A focused level 49 pet with Burnout III will easily keep pace with or even out-damage level 50 Monks and Rogues, without even factoring in the Mage nukes and damage shield.

Nagoya
09-23-2019, 08:03 PM
Side benefits: all your summons are now genuine BiS items for a bit :)
All the Melee toons will be so happy to use a summoned Spear of Warding (http://wiki.project1999.com/Summoned:_Spear_of_Warding) or something.

However, easy mode or not, I know I can't stand the Mage gameplay.
Don't pick the class just cause it's easy, pick the class if you like it! (or not, i'm not your father)

Deathrydar
09-23-2019, 08:13 PM
Side benefits: all your summons are now genuine BiS items for a bit :)
All the Melee toons will be so happy to use a summoned Spear of Warding (http://wiki.project1999.com/Summoned:_Spear_of_Warding) or something.

However, easy mode or not, I know I can't stand the Mage gameplay.
Don't pick the class just cause it's easy, pick the class if you like it! (or not, i'm not your father)
What is wrong with their gameplay? I am considering playing one at launch and want to know what I am getting myself into. I have never played a clothie/caster class in this game, and I have played it for a pretty long time.

Jadian
09-23-2019, 08:19 PM
Mage game play is basically:

/pet attack

/sit

Nuke once in a while (But not too often!)

Then dying when your pet paths randomly through a wall.

Deathrydar
09-23-2019, 08:20 PM

/pet attack

/sit

Sounds.....wonderful...

loramin
09-23-2019, 08:22 PM

/pet attack

/sit

Don't y'all kill and recast pets in there somewhere, for the XP?

oqrelord
09-23-2019, 08:35 PM
Ahh, that's dispelled any assumptions I had about classic mage... enchanter it is!

Jadian
09-23-2019, 08:36 PM
Don't y'all kill and recast pets in there somewhere, for the XP?

Might be a bigger part of the strat these days or when killing bigger mobs. I don't think pet chaining was part of my moves until after I got the phinny staff. I didn't keep up all that much with pet exp changes but I think that was still when you got 90% or something, I haven't played my mage in years (something you're likely to hear from a lot of early mage mains)

Snagglepuss
09-23-2019, 08:48 PM
Mages are incredibly OP in vanilla relative to other classes. Once focused, the pet is a beast. Low mob hp coupled with low ac makes mages (and necros) very strong. Fire pet just wrecks. In Kunark, mob hp and ac scaled up and mages were in a sense nerfed. Post 49 pets didn't really hold up as well either (until epic).

As others have mentioned, melee classes have poor itemization whereas mages aren't as gear dependent. A few mages could seriously rush some early content.

Deathrydar
09-23-2019, 08:50 PM
Mages are incredibly OP in vanilla relative to other classes. Once focused, the pet is a beast. Low mob hp coupled with low ac makes mages (and necros) very strong. Fire pet just wrecks. In Kunark, mob hp and ac scaled up and mages were in a sense nerfed. Post 49 pets didn't really hold up as well either (until epic).

As others have mentioned, melee classes have poor itemization whereas mages aren't as gear dependent. A few mages could seriously rush some early content.

I am getting that they aren't as powerful after vanilla, but are they still wanted in groups and can they still solo in Kun and Vel?

Videri
09-23-2019, 08:57 PM
What is wrong with their gameplay?

In my opinion, the toughest thing about mage gameplay is that they don't have built-in splitting techniques. If you are at a camp with two mobs close to each other, and you can kill one mob but not two at the same time, you can't do the camp.

There are strategies to get around this. One that might work is nuking one mob dead asap then zoning off the other mob, waiting for it to leave, zoning back in and returning to the camp, medding up, resummoning pet, then killing the other mob before the first mob respawns.

If a tactic like that is not possible for whatever reason, you'd need help to break certain camps.

I am getting that they aren't as powerful after vanilla, but are they still wanted in groups and can they still solo in Kun and Vel?

They are always wanted in groups as they contribute great sustained damage through their pet, nukes, and damage shield.

Furthermore, mages are always valuable once they get Call of the Hero at 55. Even if you never play your mage again, you can still get value from it if you park it in a location your guild would want to COTH to. For instance, a guild may park a mage at Poop Mountain in Sebilis, right around the corner from Trakanon. Then, once a group is formed that includes the mage on Poop Mountain and someone at entrance, you can summon a whole raid (one at a time) from entrance to the mage so the guild can kill Trakanon without having to fight all the way down through Sebilis for like an hour.

Vexenu
09-23-2019, 08:59 PM
Even in Kunark and Velious Mages will out-damage all but the best geared Monks and Rogues in all groupable and light-raid content. Even without the Epic pet, a focused 60 water pet is quite beastly. Then add in the DS, nukes and clickie nukes. It's a ton of sustained damage. And Mages are also quite capable soloers and plat farmers, certainly far better than Monks and Rogues at both.

Jadian
09-23-2019, 09:07 PM
In my opinion, the toughest thing about mage gameplay is that they don't have built-in splitting techniques. If you are at a camp with two mobs close to each other, and you can kill one mob but not two at the same time, you can't do the camp.

There are strategies to get around this. One that might work is nuking one mob dead asap then zoning off the other mob, waiting for it to leave, zoning back in and returning to the camp, medding up, resummoning pet, then killing the other mob before the first mob respawns.

If a tactic like that is not possible for whatever reason, you'd need help to break certain camps.

They are always wanted in groups as they contribute great sustained damage through their pet, nukes, and damage shield.

Furthermore, mages are always valuable once they get Call of the Hero at 55. Even if you never play your mage again, you can still get value from it if you park it in a location your guild would want to COTH to. For instance, a guild may park a mage at Poop Mountain in Sebilis, right around the corner from Trakanon. Then, once a group is formed that includes the mage on Poop Mountain and someone at entrance, you can summon a whole raid (one at a time) from entrance to the mage so the guild can kill Trakanon without having to fight all the way down through Sebilis for like an hour.

All truth

loramin
09-23-2019, 09:08 PM

If a tactic like that is not possible for whatever reason, you'd need help to break certain camps

You forgot option #3: root nets (http://wiki.project1999.com/Wooly_Spider_Silk_Net)! Those things are like essential equipment for mages (and boy is that ice goblin going to be camped on Green ...)

Videri
09-23-2019, 09:15 PM
You forgot option #3: root nets (http://wiki.project1999.com/Wooly_Spider_Silk_Net)! Those things are like essential equipment for mages (and boy is that ice goblin going to be camped on Green ...)

:eek: ohhhhhhhhh I didn't think of that! Rechargeable and not lore, too.

And on that note, actually, it might be possible to use an Earth pet and back it off after it roots one mob. But one wonders how much damage it would have taken, yada yada...might work sometimes.

Jadian
09-23-2019, 09:29 PM

And on that note, actually, it might be possible to use an Earth pet and back it off after it roots one mob. But one wonders how much damage it would have taken, yada yada...might work sometimes.

Root nets are pretty key, or globs of goo later. I did the earth pet dance many times, it works in a pinch but you soooo don't want to rely on it :D

Jimjam
09-23-2019, 09:39 PM

I remember using this technique on live (way post classic), but the earth pet doesn't seem quite so rooty here on p1999.

Vexenu
09-23-2019, 10:40 PM
Smart Mages aren't going to be soloing on Green anyway. They're going to be duoing with another Mage, a Cleric or a Druid. All super easy and powerful duos that require zero gear to hit 50.

The lack of CC on Mages is really overblown, especially while leveling. Can you make one friend who can root? Even some lowly Wizard? There, problem solved. Or better yet find any Priest (who can heal AND root) and you cover all the important group necessities by yourselves (tank, DPS, heals, adequate CC).

I swore I wasn't going to go the cheese route and roll a Mage on Green, but I'm talking myself into it, damnit.

Nagoya
09-24-2019, 12:17 AM
Hey I didn't want to start some Mage bashing.
I only said I didn't like the gameplay, not that their gameplay was bad ;)
Let's just say that the killing method is pretty linear and they don't have much variety in their spellbook. You almost have access to all your tools by level 16.
DD, DS, Pets...
For me the fun part was summoning stuff, like bandages etc.
But in the end you're mostly managing a pet, and not so much summoning stuff ^^;
My best friend absolutely loved his mage on p99 tho, and is always bragging about how powerful and fun she was to level up, so YMMV!

+1 to the poster above who said that Mages shine in duo/trio - super important point. Mages are not a solo class, they're a small group class.

Videri
09-24-2019, 01:37 AM
Good insights about mages, folks.

Also, people are often worried about whether they can solo due to their RL constraints.

On Green, whether we can solo won't be our problem. XD

Deathrydar
09-24-2019, 06:43 AM
Good insights about mages, folks.

Also, people are often worried about whether they can solo due to their RL constraints.

On Green, whether we can solo won't be our problem. XD

What will be your problem then?

Fammaden
09-24-2019, 07:09 AM
What will be your problem then?

I assume he means finding mobs to kill will be the real struggle. I'd expect that to settle down and the population spread out within a week though.

Deathrydar
09-24-2019, 07:24 AM
I assume he means finding mobs to kill will be the real struggle. I'd expect that to settle down and the population spread out within a week though.

I just went thru the World of Warcraft Classic launch. This will be nowhere near as bad. If I survived that, I can survive this! :)

soronil
09-24-2019, 08:41 AM
I just went thru the World of Warcraft Classic launch. This will be nowhere near as bad. If I survived that, I can survive this! :)

Oh, you survived a game with dynamic mob respawn, and on-demand and automatic instancing of all zones?
Edit: not to mention they can bring up as many new servers as they need without worried about underpop, since they also have the tech to have multiple servers run 1 instance of a zone later. Their population balancing techs are all really good.

Yeah if you think that was "surviving", you are in for a world of hurt, man.

Deathrydar
09-24-2019, 08:50 AM
Oh, you survived a game with dynamic mob respawn, and on-demand and automatic instancing of all zones?
Edit: not to mention they can bring up as many new servers as they need without worried about underpop, since they also have the tech to have multiple servers run 1 instance of a zone later. Their population balancing techs are all really good.

Yeah if you think that was "surviving", you are in for a world of hurt, man.

I have nothing to say towards your ignorance of my post. <3

zodias
09-24-2019, 10:00 AM
A smart group of people will pull something like 5 mages and a cleric and rush 50. It's insane how powerful that can be.

Aaramis
09-24-2019, 10:28 AM
The temptation to level a mage first to farm / twink a melee class is pretty real.

aaezil
09-24-2019, 10:33 AM
Even in Kunark and Velious Mages will out-damage all but the best geared Monks and Rogues in all groupable and light-raid content. Even without the Epic pet, a focused 60 water pet is quite beastly. Then add in the DS, nukes and clickie nukes. It's a ton of sustained damage. And Mages are also quite capable soloers and plat farmers, certainly far better than Monks and Rogues at both.

Ok this is just not true - a 60 velious rogue with just average gear will highly outparse a focused 60 water pet.

Blingy
09-24-2019, 10:35 AM
A smart group of people will pull something like 5 mages and a cleric and rush 50. It's insane how powerful that can be.

I was in a static group back on Saryrn for awhile. Four mages, one chanter and one druid. That was a disgusting group. It was comical a few times when we decided to go farm gnoll hide lariats. Four air pets with dex buffs and eight lariats.......oh that was disgusting.

Maker_Mayhem
09-24-2019, 10:38 AM
I was on also on Saryrn for a good while! Nice to see another from there.

Vexenu
09-24-2019, 12:05 PM
Ok this is just not true - a 60 velious rogue with just average gear will highly outparse a focused 60 water pet.
The focused 60 water pet quads for 70, procs for 100 something and backstabs for over 200. With Burnout IV, a muzzle and Shaman buffs it is crazy DPS. Then factor in the damage from the Mage DS and nukes. And consider the Mage clickie nukes like Velk boots (35 DPS) and burnt wood staff (25 DPS).

Mages are DPS monsters.

kjs86z
09-24-2019, 12:16 PM
If you don't want to be bored, go enchanter.

Albane
09-24-2019, 12:47 PM
Leveling as a Mage on Classic. Grind to level 4, get an earth pet. Get level 5 and 6 easily with an OP pet.. Slow grind to 8 as your pet keeps dying. Repeat this pattern every 4 levels.

Jimjam
09-24-2019, 01:02 PM
The focused 60 water pet quads for 70, procs for 100 something and backstabs for over 200. With Burnout IV, a muzzle and Shaman buffs it is crazy DPS. Then factor in the damage from the Mage DS and nukes. And consider the Mage clickie nukes like Velk boots (35 DPS) and burnt wood staff (25 DPS).

Mages are DPS monsters.

You can /tgb on pets too now. Cast cotp and son on your pet for massive +attack. And get that shaman to avatar your pet not the dumb ranger while your at it. If that ranger wants avatar he can go sock ST!

This advice is of course most relevent to late green, and assuming (what i believe to be) the bug allowing pets to be TGBd doesn't get resolved.

Deathrydar
09-24-2019, 01:06 PM
You can /tgb on pets too now. Cast cotp and son on your pet for massive +attack. And get that shaman to avatar your pet not the dumb ranger while your at it. If that ranger wants avatar he can go sock ST!

This advice is of course most relevent to late green, and assuming (what i believe to be) the bug allowing pets to be TGBd doesn't get resolved.

I wish I understood a word you just typed.

What's TGB?
What's COTP?
What does it mean to "sock ST"?

Videri
09-24-2019, 01:38 PM
What's TGB? Target Group Buff. Until recently, if you cast a group buff, it applied only to your group. Now, you can do /tgb on (right?) and then you can cast a group buff on another group (assuming they're high enough level to receive it). This apparently includes pets, which I didn't think about. Clever.

What's COTP? Call of the Predator, a group ATK buff cast by Rangers. ATK ("Attack" stat) is determined usually by strength, weapon skill, level, and perhaps some other factors. Once you hit 255 strength, max your weapon skills, and hit level 60, direct attack buffs are one of the only remaining ways to increase damage.

What does it mean to "sock ST"? First, you get a sock. Or some socks. Then, you sit at your computer watching for a mob to spawn in ST (Sleeper's Tomb). But you don't want to leave your computer even for a second because if the mob spawns, someone else will get it first. So you stay at your computer. If you have to poop, don't worry...you have the socks.

Jimjam
09-24-2019, 01:43 PM
Edit: Ninjaed and explained far more eloquently.

Here was my awkward attempt Tgb: target group buff - if you /tgb on you can target someone in a different grouo and cast your group buffs on that group instead of your own. Can also be used on pets to buff that pet.

Cotp: call of the predator - a level 60 ranger group buff that substantially buffs attack.

Sock ST: spend a lot of time in sleepers tomb pretending you aren't actually crying that the sleeper got awoken, greatly reducing access to weapons that proc avatar, and you are instead simply cutting onions to make a lasagne (for 1) while waiting for one of the three three day golems to spawn to scrape a slim chance at having a primal drop.

I feel i just lost a forum fte.

Videri
09-24-2019, 01:49 PM
HAHA FTE! Better luck next time, CASUAL!

Jk, very succinct explanations. I like how we both put some humor in the Sock ST definitions.

indiscriminate_hater
09-24-2019, 02:35 PM
I never understood poop socking. Why not poop tupperwaring? Or poop PVC piping? It just makes more sense

Dolalin
09-24-2019, 02:41 PM
Or poop PVC piping? It just makes more sense

That's basically going in the toilet, you're just skipping the bowl.

Wenai
09-24-2019, 04:19 PM
I didn't understand the obsession with Magician the first time around, and I won't understand it this time around either. Yes, they are easy. It is really easy to summon a Fire pet, cycle it out for full exp and play that way. But at the end of the day you just have a class that lacks versatility. If you compare Magician to Necromancer (the other major pet class):

Pet? Both classes.
Nukes? Both classes.
Gate? Both classes.
Snare? Necromancer only.
Root? Necromancer only.
Mez? Necromancer only.
Fear? Necromancer only.
DA? Necromancer only.
FD? Necromancer only.
Heals? Necromancer only.
Damage Absorb? Necromancer only.
Lifetap? Necromancer only.
Rez? Necromancer only. (Kunark obviously)
Corpse Summon? Necromancer only.

It's like... What does Magician get (thats actually a useful skill) that Necromancers don't?

COTH, Mod Rods, ... I am drawing a blank at that point. Mod Rods and Twitches are pretty comparable restoring a similar amount of mana.

I just don't get the draw of a Magician over a Necromancer when people are looking for something "easy" for a farming character purpose. The sheer amount of utility you get out of a Necromancer in comparison is staggering.

Deathrydar
09-24-2019, 04:23 PM
It's like... What does Magician get (thats actually a useful skill) that Necromancers don't?

They can summon bags....duh

Deathrydar
09-24-2019, 04:24 PM
I just don't get the draw of a Magician over a Necromancer when people are looking for something "easy" for a farming character purpose. The sheer amount of utility you get out of a Necromancer in comparison is staggering.

The first thing that comes to mind is a magician is not hated in most places where necromancers are. Maybe people like being able to run to most locations without issue?

loramin
09-24-2019, 04:30 PM
The first thing that comes to mind is a magician is not hated in most places where necromancers are. Maybe people like being able to run to most locations without issue?

Gnome necros are KOS in very few (if any) good cities ... or so I've heard (never actually played one).

But I think Wenai really hit it on the head. Just as how Verant gave Enchanters too much and Wizards too little (because they could out-DPS Enchanters), and EQ would be a better game if Wizards got Clarity instead (or something) ... likewise Necromancers got almost all of the pet class utility, when really they should have shared some with Mages (but instead Verant over-valued Mage's higher DPS).

(And Shaman should give Torpor to Druids, and ... well, I don't mean to change the thread's topic, but you get the idea :))

soronil
09-24-2019, 04:47 PM

Better and more versatile pets? Better group DPS? Damage shield. Summoned stuff is more useful on a fresh green server than on blue.

Not going to argue with you that Necro is a more versatile class with a better kit. Sure, they are. But I think probably there are some situations in where a mage is better soloing, mostly where you can not fear kite. If you just wanna pick 1 new camp every 5 levels and solo grind exp until you get to 50, sure play a necro.

For me I already played a necro on live, and I play a SK now, so a necro doesn't really appeal to me at all.

putrid_plum
09-24-2019, 04:50 PM
I'm fairly sure mage pets are a lot better than necro pets and the epic pet is pretty damn good. Also necromancer's don't get much DD spells worth a shit unless you mean stuff vs undead.

Nagoya
09-24-2019, 05:36 PM
I never understood poop socking. Why not poop tupperwaring? Or poop PVC piping? It just makes more sense

i am pretty sure it is because it wasn't planned.
you don't always have a tupperware handy.
a sock on the other hand...
first time was a happy accident. then it became culture.

Vexenu
09-24-2019, 06:58 PM

Necros are definitely far more versatile and the more powerful class overall. The Mage is more niche. Honestly the main draw of playing a Mage (at least for me) is how lazy the class is. Think of the Mage as the offensive version of the Cleric. If you don't like a busy playstyle but still want to be very useful in a group and a capable soloer/plat farmer, the Mage is the perfect class.

bwe
09-24-2019, 07:16 PM
Is a mage or necro better if you can only log on for an hour here and there?

Aaramis
09-24-2019, 07:18 PM
Is a mage or necro better if you can only log on for an hour here and there?

Guess it depends if you want to solo or group in that hour.
Necros are far better at solo or getting to random camps due to invis, ITU and FD.

Mages are good if you logged at the camp or simply want to group/duo for a bit

Lojik
09-24-2019, 07:20 PM
Not sure how it will be on green. If pop is really high and there's not many open solo spots it might be easier for mage to get groups. It's definitely easier to pop in and out solo as a nec, considering they have more tools to break camps.

Whoop
09-25-2019, 04:36 AM
Bah I was kinda set on rolling a mage or maybe a monk. I need a soloing class and already have a epiced necro on blue. But after this thread I'm starting to get the urge for a second necro :eek:

Vyal
09-25-2019, 06:19 AM

Mages become even more powerful after Kunark.
However you should understand one thing and that is the odds are very high mages here will end up being castrated at some point much like bards were.
There are many tricks to mages using CoH and if those tricks get used by many mages I would expect them to put time limits on the spell like it can only be used once every 5 minutes or something "for the spirit of the game" :rolleyes:

And the mage epic pet is an absolute monster imagine Vel ain't coming out for years but you got that epic mage pet. You can pretty much camp GEBs and let the pet solo everything but of course there is probably some weird rule that says it ain't "in the spirit of the game" to do that and therefore you won't be able to camp an item over and over again. There's a bunch of lists and once you get the drop you've got to give up the camp for the next guy on the list or something.

As for OP
Mages are beasts during the start if you know all the right spots to level you'll be able to hit 30 in less then a week and be down to sit on the evil eye spawn.

From maybe 20 - 30 you could sit in Qeynos Hills and kill the Millers and with the lists the way they are just as soon as you go into the zone claim the Pyzjn camp and if the GBS drops well it's all yours. :confused:
Then head off to lower guk get your Manastone because LISTS and the rest is incredibly easy you could just kill guards to 50 or so and make tons of plat selling the weapons.
Then you've got your first character done who can do just about anything and is incredibly easy to play and it's time to go make a monk or necro.
Then cleric and then druid.

Don't waste time on a bard that class has been castrated which is probably going to happen to any class that has the ability to level fast :(

Tethler
09-25-2019, 08:00 AM
However you should understand one thing and that is the odds are very high mages here will end up being castrated at some point much like bards were.
There are many tricks to mages using CoH and if those tricks get used by many mages I would expect them to put time limits on the spell like it can only be used once every 5 minutes or something "for the spirit of the game" :rolleyes:

And the mage epic pet is an absolute monster imagine Vel ain't coming out for years but you got that epic mage pet. You can pretty much camp GEBs and let the pet solo everything but of course there is probably some weird rule that says it ain't "in the spirit of the game" to do that and therefore you won't be able to camp an item over and over again. There's a bunch of lists and once you get the drop you've got to give up the camp for the next guy on the list or something.

As for OP
Mages are beasts during the start if you know all the right spots to level you'll be able to hit 30 in less then a week and be down to sit on the evil eye spawn.

From maybe 20 - 30 you could sit in Qeynos Hills and kill the Millers and with the lists the way they are just as soon as you go into the zone claim the Pyzjn camp and if the GBS drops well it's all yours. :confused:
Then head off to lower guk get your Manastone because LISTS and the rest is incredibly easy you could just kill guards to 50 or so and make tons of plat selling the weapons.
Then you've got your first character done who can do just about anything and is incredibly easy to play and it's time to go make a monk or necro.

Don't waste time on a bard that class has been castrated which is probably going to happen to any class that has the ability to level fast :(

The butthurt in your post is palpable.

AoE's weren't nerfed 'just cause', there was evidence that it was accurate for the era, as you well know from your pages long cryfest of a thread. Speculating that anyone that can solo a valuable camp is getting nerfed is childish and unrealistic.

Vyal
09-25-2019, 08:56 AM
The butthurt in your post is palpable.

AoE's weren't nerfed 'just cause', there was evidence that it was accurate for the era, as you well know from your pages long cryfest of a thread. Speculating that anyone that can solo a valuable camp is getting nerfed is childish and unrealistic.

Tch this is what's happening so don't call it unrealistic.

Keep trolling me stupid clown. :cool:

skorge
09-25-2019, 09:29 AM

As for OP

Do you really think there will be a list for Pyzjn? Lol, what makes you think that? The list is only for "limited time items." Maybe you should actually read before you make a post so butthurt I can actually taste the tears.

Izmael
09-25-2019, 09:33 AM
Necro is immensely more powerful than mage as far as soloing goes, it's a whole different weight category, except a handful of places such as the searfuries, for instance.

bwe
09-25-2019, 10:21 AM
Necros seem much more versatile, but other than splitting (which I guess could be overcome with root nets) are they actually able to solo better than mages in classic?

Nexii
09-25-2019, 10:38 AM
Mages are hands down the best DPS in classic. The pet alone does more than any melee for DPS, plus damage shield on top of that. And you can burst nuke to double your damage above that again. In downtime you can mod rod your cleric which in most situations will be a more efficient use of mana than nuking.

Mage has none of the liability of charm. I think that liability is underrated in classic, HP items are few and far between, and cleric HP buffs are quite mediocre until you get to Naltron/Resolution. No click sticks either so the risk/downtime equation of wiping is different. It won't be easy to find a 49 rez cheap.

Mage is always competitive DPS even into Kunark/Velious. They drop off on Velious raid mobs because of the large level difference between the pet and the bosses (and higher mob AC). But even then they are very strong. 30 DPS plus being worth around +1 cleric worth of mana through mod rods (due to the efficient cost/return) is OP. I'd say mages are vastly underrepresented on P99 probably because it's not a very exciting class to play. You just do pet attack, make your rods, and go AFK for 5 minutes.

b11ri11an
10-14-2019, 02:46 AM
so far on green beta mobs target pc's over pets regardless of threat so long as pc is within melee range.

Tenlaar
10-14-2019, 03:59 AM
so far on green beta mobs target pc's over pets regardless of threat so long as pc is within melee range.

Earlier today I was on a bard grouped with an enchanter and at times the enchanter pet was holding agro over the bard in melee range.

Sillyturtle
10-14-2019, 04:12 AM

are you talking about the mage itself or other players?

b11ri11an
10-14-2019, 09:47 AM
are you talking about the mage itself or other players?

just the mage itself at this point.... I have not grouped yet on beta
As soon as you enter melee range you will snap agro from pet without doing a single point of damage or casting any spells

Deathrydar
10-14-2019, 11:06 AM
just the mage itself at this point.... I have not grouped yet on beta
As soon as you enter melee range you will snap agro from pet without doing a single point of damage or casting any spells

Correct. It has been that way on blue since I can remember.

Wenai
10-14-2019, 11:49 AM
Correct. It has been that way on blue since I can remember.

That is how it was on live. You could not have a player in melee range with a pet and ever have the pet taking damage.

Deathrydar
10-14-2019, 11:50 AM
That is how it was on live. You could not have a player in melee range with a pet and ever have the pet taking damage.

No doubts! I just don't like to reference live when I am not 100% certain that I am correct. Being 45 years old, the ole brain doesn't work as well. Thank you!