PDA

View Full Version : Feasible longterm strategy?

oqrelord
09-22-2019, 10:25 PM
One thing I'd like to try on green's timeline is starting a shaman or enchanter, binding at torches when kunark first opens, and then taking advantage of the squad ring quest.

Whenever you need health just gate back to torches, go to rivervale and heal up. Then gate back to nearest camp. If you had a manastone it makes it even better.

Thoughts on feasibility?

Videri
09-23-2019, 02:25 AM
Suggestion: don't bind IN the firepot room. Bind on top of one of the spires above it. That way, you will have access not only to the firepots, but also to Timorous Deep itself. Great for Faydedar raids, cleric epic turn-ins/MQs, certain exp spots, several other quests, etc.

I have never used this squad ring. Is it a free recharge ring with 1 charge of Healing? Which heals for 100hp? Seems ok I guess.

Legidias
09-23-2019, 08:33 AM
Squad ring will be easier with ench since (IIRC) you lose faction upon turn in.

BlackBellamy
09-23-2019, 09:57 AM
This is one thing I hope they don't allow. In the original timeline, they patched it out 4 days after launch because they never intended it and not a lot of people got to take advantage. Here, every single toon on the server is going to be sitting outside the firepot room the day after Kunark launches. I guarantee you I'm going to have my main and all 7 alts there. This shit is going to make binding and travel trivial.

oqrelord
09-23-2019, 11:47 AM
Great idea on binding above the spires.

I think usability will be interesting in cases where lets say you want to kill guards in a certain town. You can gate back to heal/med up and then quickly come back.

Not game-breaking but neat.

Deathrydar
09-23-2019, 11:49 AM
What is the fire pot room?

Benanov
09-23-2019, 11:51 AM
What is the fire pot room?

A very convenient way to get from one of the more inaccessible zones in the game to pretty much any old-world city you want (and West Cabilis)

garfo
09-23-2019, 12:07 PM
Can non-casters bind in the fp room?

Deathrydar
09-23-2019, 12:08 PM
A very convenient way to get from one of the more inaccessible zones in the game to pretty much any old-world city you want (and West Cabilis)

So it's like a mini PoK?

Chortles Snort|eS
09-23-2019, 12:13 PM
https://wiki.project1999.com/images/Map_timdeep.jpg

oqrelord
09-23-2019, 12:13 PM
So it's like a mini PoK?

Pretty much. Mostly accessible for classes that can bind/gate. Not sure if melee can be bound there without a locket? If someone else can confirm. But even if a melee was bound there would only be marginally useful since they can't gate sustainably.

Deathrydar
09-23-2019, 12:14 PM
Pretty much. Mostly accessible for classes that can bind/gate. Not sure if melee can be bound there without a locket? If someone else can confirm. But even if a melee was bound there would only be marginally useful since they can't gate sustainably.

Why would that be in the game? It pretty much defeats what is really "classic" about EQ, no?

oqrelord
09-23-2019, 12:19 PM
Why would that be in the game? It pretty much defeats what is really "classic" about EQ, no?

That's why they nerfed it, but there was a small window of time where you could do it. Not many knew during live, so wasn't that big of a deal - but since we're victory lapping this game, these little nuances are now widely known.

Deathrydar
09-23-2019, 12:20 PM
That's why they nerfed it, but there was a small window of time where you could do it. Not many knew during live, so wasn't that big of a deal - but since we're victory lapping this game, these little nuances are now widely known.

So they (P99 devs) may make it so it cannot be used?

Chortles Snort|eS
09-23-2019, 12:22 PM
As an elF whO bounD deR in BluE AND red

U BaReLy sEe anYonE PermA bOunD theRe as elf World liFe go ON

oqrelord
09-23-2019, 12:22 PM

They may follow the original timeline faithfully and nerf few days after kunark. Or they may just nerf it outright.

Either way it will be nerfed. But there will be a small window where everyone and their 20 alts will race to timorous deep for a bind :D if they follow timeline.

dwarf_cleric420
09-23-2019, 12:29 PM
You'll be able to bind there for a few days just like it was on blue

Videri
09-23-2019, 12:35 PM

What do you mean, "what is really classic about EQ"?

The original devs made a cool secret room with one-way teleporters. I'm sure it hardly seemed game-breaking. And they didn't think "I'd better prohibit binding in this whole zone, because people are going to do that and have easier access to Norrath than intended." Then they nerfed it.

Back in 1999, there was no "classic" EverQuest. There was only EverQuest. The original devs didn't know how their content would be abused or how it would shake out long-term.

As for Project 1999, we can justify it as classic. It's the way it was when Kunark came out; it was nerfed shortly thereafter; so shall it be here.

Now that's classic.

Plus, if you take it away or pre-nerf it, people will complain it's not classic. If you leave in manastones and Guise of the Deceiver, it's hard to justify taking out Firepot binding.

I'm guessing what you're saying is that part of the classic feel of EQ is the world being so large, causing us all to travel long distances (yummy immersion!) or interact with other people playing druids or wizards and employ their services to teleport across the world (community!). That is what the Nexus and later the Plane of Knowledge eroded, destroying the illusion of Norrath's vastness.

The Firepot Room does not shrink the world anywhere near as much. Only casters or characters with a Ring of the Dead or Locket of Escape can bind there; and only for a short while. Afterward, some who bind there will quit EQ or get busy IRL or create a new main character. So the world gets smaller only for a certain percentage of characters.

The extent to which this bind point will be used remains to be seen. Perhaps some old players can chime in on how it was on early Blue and Red. I knew people on Red who were still bound at the firepots. Some kept their bind there forever; some rebound in Plane of Knowledge once that came out.

Deathrydar
09-23-2019, 12:38 PM
What do you mean, "what is really classic about EQ"?

The original devs made a cool secret room with one-way teleporters. I'm sure it hardly seemed game-breaking. And they didn't think "I'd better prohibit binding in this whole zone, because people are going to do that and have easier access to Norrath than intended." Then they nerfed it.

Back in 1999, there was no "classic" EverQuest. There was only EverQuest. The original devs didn't know how their content would be abused or how it would shake out long-term.

As for Project 1999, we can justify it as classic. It's the way it was when Kunark came out; it was nerfed shortly thereafter; so shall it be here.

Now that's classic.

Plus, if you take it away or pre-nerf it, people will complain it's not classic. If you leave in manastones and Guise of the Deceiver, it's hard to justify taking out Firepot binding.

I'm guessing what you're saying is that part of the classic feel of EQ is the world being so large, causing us all to travel long distances (yummy immersion!) or interact with other people playing druids or wizards and employ their services to teleport across the world (community!). That is what the Nexus and later the Plane of Knowledge eroded, destroying the illusion of Norrath's vastness.

The Firepot Room does not shrink the world anywhere near as much. Only casters or characters with a Ring of the Dead or Locket of Escape can bind there; and only for a short while. Afterward, some who bind there will quit EQ or get busy IRL or create a new main character. So the world gets smaller only for a certain percentage of characters.

The extent to which this bind point will be used remains to be seen. Perhaps some old players can chime in on how it was on early Blue and Red. I knew people on Red who were still bound at the firepots. Some kept their bind there forever; some rebound in Plane of Knowledge once that came out.

Fair enough. You're right!

Videri
09-23-2019, 12:41 PM
Fair enough. You're right!

What does that ^ mean? I've never seen someone say that on the Internet. pls advise

Deathrydar
09-23-2019, 12:42 PM
What does that ^ mean? I've never seen someone say that on the Internet. pls advise

It means that you have made a valid point and I agree with you. If it was there during the real classic of 1999, it should be here for that amount of time as well. The only downside is more people know about it and will take advantage of it, but it is what it is. I just hope it isn't active for too long.

Jadian
09-23-2019, 01:20 PM
As an elF whO bounD deR in BluE AND red

U BaReLy sEe anYonE PermA bOunD theRe as elf World liFe go ON

Daliant17447
09-23-2019, 01:28 PM
Early kunark the room was packed, and throughout kunark there were usually players afk there and people coming and going. These days I almost never see anyone there. Most of those players don't play anymore and a lot rebound at ToV. Firepots is a nice utility for old world travel and getting to kunark if u can't find a port. Hardly game breaking.

Dolalin
09-23-2019, 01:40 PM
To be fair, purist servers tend to be empty servers.

All things in life that involve large numbers of people also involve compromise.

Wenai
09-23-2019, 03:45 PM
Suggestion: don't bind IN the firepot room. Bind on top of one of the spires above it. That way, you will have access not only to the firepots, but also to Timorous Deep itself. Great for Faydedar raids, cleric epic turn-ins/MQs, certain exp spots, several other quests, etc.

I have never used this squad ring. Is it a free recharge ring with 1 charge of Healing? Which heals for 100hp? Seems ok I guess.
I made this mistake. When Kunark first opened I ran my: Shaman, Cleric, Druid, and Magician to the TD Fire Pot room. I bound ALL of them inside the room. Not really realizing my mistake until the first time I needed to do something IN Timorous Deep. I won't be making that mistake this time around.
It will be bindable for a very short period. Maybe like a week? I don't remember the exact amount of time on Blue.
Early kunark the room was packed, and throughout kunark there were usually players afk there and people coming and going. These days I almost never see anyone there. Most of those players don't play anymore and a lot rebound at ToV. Firepots is a nice utility for old world travel and getting to kunark if u can't find a port. Hardly game breaking.
Honestly it is still my primary method of travel. Between OT Hammer, and Fire pot room I have pretty strong access to all of the Kunark areas. Using all of the old world pots, I obviously have great access to the old world. And then when Velious comes out you have access to Thurg Potion. You actually become very self-reliant.