PDA

View Full Version : Naming Policy Compromise

Wurl
09-22-2019, 12:24 PM
So we have the original problem to solve:

1. Everyone should be able to get the names that they've been using on Blue for years, without having someone else snipe those names on Green.

The current plan to make it so you have to have a character with that name on Blue to create a character with that same name on Green. Unfortunately this creates a new problem:

2. There are thousands of characters with desirable names that haven't been played in years and won't ever be played again, and many people would like some amount of name recycling.

I think the best way to solve both of these problems, is to have the proposed must-own-the-name-on-blue requirement in place for only the first month of Green's life. After that, make names a free-for-all. That way, everyone that wants to claim their Blue names on Green has ample time to do that.

soronil
09-22-2019, 01:06 PM
Actually a really good idea.

But, when the servers merge, what then? Hundreds of people with x appdended to their names, having to petition volunteer GM's to change their name. Now how do you find your friends? Kind of a mess

It's not that hard to come up with a name now. After the unused level 1 character purge that is coming, it should help a lot.

Wurl
09-22-2019, 01:09 PM
But, when the servers merge, what then? Hundreds of people with x appdended to their names, having to petition volunteer GM's to change their name. Now how do you find your friends?
Yeah, this will already happen with the currently proposed system, for everyone that plans to reuse their blue names :). I think they can set a flag to enable /rename for every character that they merge. I don't think they've revealed how this will work currently, or if they've even decided for sure themselves! Either way, the merging process is going to be a big event with lots of questions to be answered.

El-Hefe
09-22-2019, 01:13 PM
I like it.

Drayc
09-23-2019, 01:52 PM
IMO: It should be something like if the character hasnt been logged in recently 30 days, 90 days, 1 year? Then the name is free game.

Wenai
09-23-2019, 03:52 PM
I actually side with their current implementation of naming policy given the dilemma they will be facing: currently, at launch, and at merge.

Currently they need to make sure that people's names and identities are protected. People would not want copycats scooping up their name. Can you imagine Riot players trying to scoop up Aftermath leaderships names etc? It would be a mess, and there would be a ton of CSR requests to have this manually corrected.

Launch time they would be potentially dealing with people wanting to use their same character names they have been using for 20 years. There is the potential for CSR support to manually provide names for people, or re-name existing Blue characters to free up names for green etc.

Merging green into blue will potentially become a big mess. There have been talks of appending random characters to the end of the name String. I think this is a problem they have not 100% solved because it just isn't relevant at this point.

I know for the EQ Client it will only display Aa-Zz characters with a few specialty characters, in the names on screen and in text. So for example, a lot of times the actual names of NPC's will be like: a_decaying_skeleton003. Part of me wonders if there was a way to leverage hidden characters somehow for merged names, but I feel like it is probably more trouble than it is worth.

Wurl
09-23-2019, 04:06 PM
I actually side with their current implementation of naming policy given the dilemma they will be facing: currently, at launch, and at merge.
Sure, but name recycling needs to be solved as well.

loramin
09-23-2019, 04:56 PM
IMO: It should be something like if the character hasnt been logged in recently 30 days, 90 days, 1 year? Then the name is free game.

For the record, the classic requirement was only 30 days:

Character Purge

Time has come to do some cleanup on character data across the servers. On August 23rd (Pacific), we will be doing a system-wide cleanup of level 1 characters. All level 1 characters that have that have not been played within 30 days from the date of the purge will be deleted. As GMs will not be able to restore any characters that are deleted, please be certain to log in any level 1 characters that you wish to keep prior to the purge.

http://wiki.project1999.com/Patch_Notes#August_9.2C_2000

Daud
09-23-2019, 06:15 PM
30 day warning for a rename via adding an "x" to level one characters with no experience, coin, items (save noob stuff), that are on login accounts that have no been logged in during the last year.

Kornaki
09-23-2019, 06:43 PM
For the record, the classic requirement was only 30 days:

http://wiki.project1999.com/Patch_Notes#August_9.2C_2000

That's only for level one characters dude.

Wurl
09-23-2019, 06:46 PM
30 day warning for a rename via adding an "x" to level one characters with no experience, coin, items (save noob stuff), that are on login accounts that have no been logged in during the last year.
TBH I like my idea a lot better than level 1 character wipes.

1. I think it would be easier to implement (because it has presumably already been done and would just have to be disabled after a month).
2. It would more aggressively let us recycle names that otherwise may never be recycled. I imagine there are level 2 "Drizzt" and "Gandalf"s out there somewhere :). Maybe this more aggressive name recycling doesn't matter for Green1, but maybe it does for Green2, or Green3.

loramin
09-23-2019, 06:51 PM
That's only for level one characters dude.

I haven't heard anyone talk about anything other than level 1 wipes here.

I think there would be VASTLY more opposition to wiping higher level characters ... which is why I think everyone talking about wipes is purely talking about getting rid of (or renaming) unused level 1 toons.

Daud
09-23-2019, 06:51 PM
TBH I like my idea a lot better than level 1 character wipes.

1. I think it would be easier to implement (because it has presumably already been done and would just have to be disabled after a month).
2. It would more aggressively let us recycle names that otherwise may never be recycled. I imagine there are level 2 "Drizzt" and "Gandalf"s out there somewhere :). Maybe this more aggressive name recycling doesn't matter for Green1, but maybe it does for Green2, or Green3.

Lifting the blue name filter on green at any time for a server that plans to merge to blue is just going to be a complete cluster fuck of renaming thousands, tens of thousands of names of high level, active characters

Hard pass, you're never gonna get the blue filter lifted as long as there is a blue merge, and the blue merge isn't not gonna happen so you might as well forget it.

Wurl
09-23-2019, 07:02 PM
Lifting the blue name filter on green at any time for a server that plans to merge to blue is just going to be a complete cluster fuck of renaming thousands, tens of thousands of names of high level, active characters

Hard pass, you're never gonna get the blue filter lifted as long as there is a blue merge, and the blue merge isn't not gonna happen so you might as well forget it.
You know it's going to happen currently, right? You're going to have to rename any characters that you make with the same name as blue characters.

Nilstoniakrath
09-23-2019, 07:05 PM
You know it's going to happen currently, right? You're going to have to rename any characters that you make with the same name as blue characters.

They haven't said what exactly they are going to do with duplicate named characters. Best guess is add an -x to the end of one, but there could be a total rename option too. It's all speculation at this point

Wurl
09-23-2019, 07:10 PM
They haven't said what exactly they are going to do with duplicate named characters. Best guess is add an -x to the end of one, but there could be a total rename option too. It's all speculation at this point
Yup, my guess is they do something like that and give each merged character the ability to /rename.

The point is though, this would work equally well if the blue name filter was permanent or if the blue filter is removed after a month.

Daud
09-23-2019, 07:28 PM

You know that is a conscious decision if it's your own character and you can decide for yourself if you want the character renamed, where as in contrast, if they remove the name filter at any point there's no way to know if you're making an original name or not and are going to either have to get renamed or rename the blue character, right?

I'd be pretty pissed if I thought I was making an original name on Green, only to get renamed on the merge.

I'd be pissed if my 3 year old level 60 got renamed because some dickhead made a level 5 mage on Green with my name.

These are the situations that have to happen if you take away the blue name filter on green depending who you decide to rename on the merge.

Wurl
09-23-2019, 07:40 PM
I'd be pretty pissed if I thought I was making an original name on Green, only to get renamed on the merge.
I'd be fine if this happened to me, personally. I find this scenario more desirable than names never being recycled on Green servers.

Daud
09-23-2019, 08:33 PM
I'd be fine if this happened to me, personally. I find this scenario more desirable than names never being recycled on Green servers.

Super coolio for you man, but there's a lot of people who aren't even cool with any kind of rename/delete, so I've got no doubts not everyone is going to be hunky dory with just randomly getting an "x" added to their name with no way to know it, and should have at least the option to decide if they want to go that route ahead of time instead of making names a complete crapshoot. We're supposed to be talking about compromise, right? You know, taking into account how more than just you feel about something?

Yup, my guess is they do something like that and give each merged character the ability to /rename.

There's about a 0% chance of getting full character name changes. Lets forget that's way, way, beyond what they did in classic. There's no way I see they're gonna let people run around like giant douche nozzles, just short of getting banned, for Green or Blue and then just hand them a full name change on the merge just because they made the character on blue first. Ain't. gonna. happen.

Wurl
09-23-2019, 08:43 PM
Super coolio for you man
You are being super aggressive, mate. Did you feel personally attacked when I said I thought a level 1 character purge wouldn't be enough? Do you have other ideas? Attacking me isn't really being helpful, and you're not coming off well here.

Daud
09-23-2019, 08:50 PM
You are being super aggressive, mate. Did you feel personally attacked when I said I thought a level 1 character purge wouldn't be enough? Do you have other ideas? Attacking me isn't really being helpful, and you're not coming off well here.

If I wanted to get aggressive, I'd start calling calling you and your ideas stupid, I wouldn't offer any kind of reasoning why I disagreed with you, I'd call you names and get this moved to RNF where I could really start shitting on you since that's how things actually work around here.

I'm not calling you names, being glib or maybe snotty? Sure. If "super coolio" legitimately hurt your feelings, then I sincerely apologize.

Wurl
09-23-2019, 09:00 PM
We're supposed to be talking about compromise, right? You know, taking into account how more than just you feel about something?
Yeah dude, you spoke for yourself, then I spoke for myself. I don't really feel comfortable speaking for the entire server like you do I guess.

I sincerely apologize.
Apology accepted, thank you.

loramin
09-23-2019, 09:02 PM
If "super coolio" legitimately hurt your feelings, then I sincerely apologize.

Apology accepted, thank you.

I've seen a lot of flame wars on this forum, but someone being offended by "super coolio" has got to be a server first :)

Wurl
09-23-2019, 09:23 PM
One situation that I haven't heard addressed is, will names on Green preclude new characters from being made on Blue with those same names? We've only heard that names on Blue will stop characters on Green from being made with those names.

Nilstoniakrath
09-23-2019, 09:27 PM
One situation that I haven't heard addressed is, will names on Green preclude new characters from being made on Blue with those same names? We've only heard that names on Blue will stop characters on Green from being made with those names.

And here is another unaddressed scenario: I think the "-x at the end" option is highly likely for duplicate names created on Green matching Blue, but what if the Blue name that was copied is 15 characters (the max length)? LOL, the possibilities are endless

Daud
09-23-2019, 09:37 PM
Yeah dude, you spoke for yourself, then I spoke for myself. I don't really feel comfortable speaking for the entire server like you do I guess.

Pointing out that there's a difference in opinions on how to handle the situation and that those ideas should be considered in a compromise isn't "speaking for the server", come on. I don't even think there should be a rename/character wipe, but I'm still willing to consider the possibility of it and how it should be done if the powers that be deem it necessary. I absolutely threw out an idea earlier in the thread, I'm not just harping on you for the fun of it.

Lots of people have suggested just tossing the name filter entirely or doing whole renames like you have, and really I just don't see it happening for the reasons I stated as long as the plan is to merge into blue. Those are real big problems that need to be addressed if you want your idea to have any chance at reality, or at least, in my opinion.

Wurl
09-23-2019, 10:01 PM
And here is another unaddressed scenario: I think the "-x at the end" option is highly likely for duplicate names created on Green matching Blue, but what if the Blue name that was copied is 15 characters (the max length)? LOL, the possibilities are endless
Good point! Yeah, there will be a lot of problems to be solved.