PDA

View Full Version : raid rotations?

pogs4ever
09-21-2019, 03:19 PM
many servers had rotations in classic.

/list fear

blue can be for all your hardcore needs.

Wenai
09-21-2019, 03:39 PM
many servers had rotations in classic.

/list fear

blue can be for all your hardcore needs.

There was a temporary raid rotation system implemented during Blue due to players unable to behave in a civil manner with one another. The players weren't a big fan of it, the GMs weren't a big fan of it, and it also introduces a problem where new up-and-coming guilds don't ever get a chance at any of the raid targets.

I would be surprised if the raid rules were any different current Blue's raid rules.

I actually have the opposite opinion of yours with regards to Blue. I would rather Green become the competitive environment, and Blue be turned the casual Oasis. Blue has been running for 10 years. 5 years or so post-Velious. What is the draw to competition there at this point? Everyone is so over-geared for the era.

Jibartik
09-21-2019, 03:46 PM
Season 1!

Yay sports!

pogs4ever
09-21-2019, 03:52 PM
There was a temporary raid rotation system implemented during Blue due to players unable to behave in a civil manner with one another. The players weren't a big fan of it, the GMs weren't a big fan of it, and it also introduces a problem where new up-and-coming guilds don't ever get a chance at any of the raid targets.

I would be surprised if the raid rules were any different current Blue's raid rules.

I actually have the opposite opinion of yours with regards to Blue. I would rather Green become the competitive environment, and Blue be turned the casual Oasis. Blue has been running for 10 years. 5 years or so post-Velious. What is the draw to competition there at this point? Everyone is so over-geared for the era.

that actually makes a ton more sense. i just cant imagine csr wanting double the petition quest.

loramin
09-21-2019, 03:56 PM

This has been discussed ad nauseum here (google past threads). There may have been one brief universal rotation system, but for the most part it varied heavily on which server you were on.

Some classic GMs instituted rotations and some didn't. They tended to be only for "2nd tier" raiding content: you didn't see Veeshan's Peak or Sleeper's Tomb rotated in classic times, but you did you see Vox and Naggy on some servers (and then on a lot more shortly thereafter in Luclin; my server Bristlebane was one of those).

But again, on many servers there were never any rotations at all: it's one of those things where each nerd has their own memory, and everyone loves to argue that everyone else's memory is wrong. Again, see past threads ;)

loramin
09-21-2019, 03:59 PM
But all that aside, I 100% agree that rotations would make more sense on Blue, because Green already has classic mechanisms built-in to encourage classic raiding.

Blue has an insanely top-heavy population with at least 2x more raiding players than Live ever had on one server during classic. It's also had a vastly unclassic amount of time (10 years in Kunark and Velious, but remember: some live servers were rotating Vox and Naggy after less than 2 years).

Let Green be the place were real classic players compete in a real classic environment to raid classically. Let Blue be the place where anyone capable of killing a dragon and willing to wait for a turn to do so has a chance to get to see Vox (or whoever).

Wenai
09-21-2019, 04:01 PM
This has been discussed ad nauseum here (google past threads). There may have been one brief universal rotation system, but for the most part it varied heavily on which server you were on.

Some classic Blue GMs instituted rotations and some didn't. They tended to be only for "2nd tier" raiding content: you didn't see Veeshan's Peak or Sleeper's Tomb rotated in classic times, but you did you see Vox and Naggy on some servers.

But again, on many servers there were never any rotations at all: it's one of those things where each nerd has their own memory, and everyone loves to argue that everyone else's memory is wrong. Again, see past threads ;)

I meant Project 1999 Blue :P
Here was the original rotation announcement: https://www.project1999.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1469

Essentially raiding was a nightmare at the start of P1999 Blue. There was very few targets, and nobody wanted to share or come up with any player designed solutions.

The system in place was basically whoever was there first got claim to the creature. So people were literally poopsocking for 7 days straight to ensure they would get next week's dragon. IB was tired of it and were planning on KSing the next Nagafen kill, so someone informed the GM team that the planned KS was coming. We had to step in and put in a temporary Raid Rotation to keep the peace.

Over time we have come to the raid rules we have current on the server. Not perfect, but at least keep the spirit of competition and put people on at least a decent playing field.

loramin
09-21-2019, 04:14 PM
I meant Project 1999 Blue :P

Oh, heh, misunderstood.

Here was the original rotation announcement: https://www.project1999.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1469

Essentially raiding was a nightmare at the start of P1999 Blue. There was very few targets, and nobody wanted to share or come up with any player designed solutions.

The system in place was basically whoever was there first got claim to the creature. So people were literally poopsocking for 7 days straight to ensure they would get next week's dragon. IB was tired of it and were planning on KSing the next Nagafen kill, so someone informed the GM team that the planned KS was coming. We had to step in and put in a temporary Raid Rotation to keep the peace.

Over time we have come to the raid rules we have current on the server. Not perfect, but at least keep the spirit of competition and put people on at least a decent playing field.

You seem like someone who might be able to help (if you're interested, and I only ask because that quote makes me think you might be) with a little wiki project I started: http://wiki.project1999.com/Raid_History

The idea is to create an abbreviated, neutral history of the server's eras of raiding. It's not meant to include every bit of (or even most) raid drama, but rather just to have a few sentences on the major events (like what you just described).

Basically I was just hoping to create a page newer foks could go to understand what the heck people are talking about when they refer to "Class C" (or some other bit of raiding history) ... but personally I'm too ignorant of that history to flesh out the page properly ... especially when it comes to the early stuff.

If you ever feel bored, feel free to add to it :)