PDA

View Full Version : Early magical weapons?

Budder
09-19-2019, 06:22 PM
Any good quests or mobs that drop magical weapons at lower levels? I heard of a quest in surf all glade and a doable mob in unrest, blade fiend or something that drops 2 basic magical( no stats) weapons. I’m sure those will be hot items for everyone early on. Can’t hurt to start planing now!

Maker_Mayhem
09-19-2019, 06:31 PM
Summoned: Snake Fang lol

aaezil
09-19-2019, 06:35 PM
Langseax / Langseax of the wolves

Danth
09-19-2019, 06:49 PM
How early? Most folks who melee will want a magic weapon by the teens for fighting things like wisps or ghouls.

For the Qeynos and associated region, prior to level 10:

Barbarian shaman can do initiate symbol of the tribunal, for summoned hammer of wrath.
Cleric gets hammer of wrath as a spell at level 9.
Jaggedpine Crook is Ranger/Druid usable and questable out of Surefall by level 6-7.
Shining Star of Light for Paladin/Cleric is potentially doable around level 10ish if the player is familiar with the quest and doesn't mind a lot of running around.
Monks can kill the frogloks in qeynos catacombs until mesh gloves drop.
Magicians can summon daggers (1H piercing) right away at level 1 as soon as they can afford the spell.
Clerics and Paladins can probably obtain the Thunder Staff by level 10 or so, and later in the teens the Bonethunder Staff.

By the early/mid teens most anyone should be able to afford Combine weapons. They're sold at the various Gypsy camps throughout the world and have ratios equivalent to fine steel weapons but count as magic. I'm most familiar with the quests/etc out of the Qeynos area (most my characters tend to start from there) but Combine weapons are available to all, so those are an option if nothing else seems available.

Danth

Budder
09-19-2019, 06:53 PM
How early? Most folks who melee will want a magic weapon by the teens for fighting things like wisps or ghouls.

For the Qeynos and associated region, prior to level 10:

Barbarian shaman can do initiate symbol of the tribunal, for summoned hammer of wrath.
Cleric gets hammer of wrath as a spell at level 9.
Jaggedpine Crook is Ranger/Druid usable and questable out of Surefall by level 6-7.
Shining Star of Light for Paladin/Cleric is potentially doable around level 10ish if the player is familiar with the quest and doesn't mind a lot of running around.
Monks can kill the frogloks in qeynos catacombs until mesh gloves drop.
Magicians can summon daggers (1H piercing) right away at level 1 as soon as they can afford the spell.
Clerics and Paladins can probably obtain the Thunder Staff by level 10 or so, and later in the teens the Bonethunder Staff.

By the early/mid teens most anyone should be able to afford Combine weapons. They're sold at the various Gypsy camps throughout the world and have ratios equivalent to fine steel weapons but count as magic. I'm most familiar with the quests/etc out of the Qeynos area (most my characters tend to start from there) but Combine weapons are available to all, so those are an option if nothing else seems available.

Danth

Nice info, I totally forgot about the combine weapons. Guess if I make a warrior that’ll be the way to go. Also the PGT is a doable drop.
Cheers!

Aaramis
09-19-2019, 07:37 PM
For Faydwer, you're probably looking at Dragoon Dirk, Screaming Mace, Gladius and Pugius.

Jibartik
09-19-2019, 07:58 PM
Here is some of the items I know, they go from easily obtainable to more difficult sans Crookstinger or boner spear is just going to be blind luck if you get one of those.

5+
Trumpy Heads Quest
We Harvester
Jaggad Pine Crook
Shining Star of Light
Screaming Mace
Pugius
Gladius

15+
Polished Granite Tomahawk
Runed Totem Staff
Thunder Staff
Riptide Spear
Bone Spear
Mystical Claws of Jojo
Crookstinger

20+
Langseax/Langseax of the Wolves
Bone Bladed Claymore
Blackened Iron Bastard Sword
Shiny Brass Halberd
Barbed Leather Whip
Grobb Cleaver

Basically everything else will require 25+

BBIII
09-19-2019, 08:30 PM
How do Monk fists work in this regard?

Jibartik
09-19-2019, 08:35 PM

Level 30

Budder
09-20-2019, 05:47 AM
Here is some of the items I know, they go from easily obtainable to more difficult sans Crookstinger or boner spear is just going to be blind luck if you get one of those.

5+
Trumpy Heads Quest
We Harvester
Jaggad Pine Crook
Shining Star of Light
Screaming Mace
Pugius
Gladius

15+
Runed Totem Staff
Thunder Staff
Riptide Spear
Bone Spear
Mystical Claws of Jojo
Crookstinger

20+
Bone Bladed Claymore
Shiny Brass Halberd
Barbed Leather Whip
Grobb Cleaver

Most excellent, thank you!

Tethler
09-20-2019, 06:40 AM
Dragoon dirks should also be attainable around level 15 from Dorn at the big derv camp in Nro if you need a poker.

Legidias
09-20-2019, 09:00 AM
Can't wait to see dorn and dvinn just merking people again

soronil
09-20-2019, 09:33 AM
Level 30

I thought I read that monk could use magic hands/feet to hit stuff. Netted/Mesh armor from frogloks is magical, that was my plan....

Tr4c3r
09-20-2019, 09:44 AM
I thought I read that monk could use magic hands/feet to hit stuff. Netted/Mesh armor from frogloks is magical, that was my plan....

Yes magic hands make your fists magic

Jibartik
09-20-2019, 10:04 AM
I actually just picked up a dirk off dorn randomly like a month ago, took me only 20 years.

Jibartik
09-20-2019, 10:05 AM

Oh yeah, there is something like that, I think it drops a lot in the swamp FYI

Jimjam
09-20-2019, 10:11 AM
If you can get a mage summoned staff it only takes like 3 Greater Light Stone hand ins to get your toes onto the combine weapon ladder.

The bone chips box quest in Erudin is a good source of armour / plat (chips-> raw hide-> plat).

Patches of gnoll fur can be tailored by the 4 into gnoll fur patches, which are then tailored by the 4 into gnoll fur quarters, which are then tailored by the 4 into gnoll fur cloak. This can then be turned into a fang of the wolf, a barbarian earring worn by shaman, rogue and warriors, but also usable as a piercing weapon.

Netted gloves level 1 baby

Jibartik
09-20-2019, 10:16 AM
If you can get a mage summoned staff it only takes like 3 Greater Light Stone hand ins to get your toes onto the combine weapon ladder

There is a chance there will be no GLS quests for 3-4 months :eek: :D

https://www.project1999.com/forums/showpost.php?p=481957&postcount=10

AegnorP99
09-20-2019, 10:33 AM
There is a chance there will be no GLS quests for 3-4 months :eek: :D

https://www.project1999.com/forums/showpost.php?p=481957&postcount=10

Oh god... My plans have been foiled!

Dolalin
09-20-2019, 10:59 AM
This guy paths in front of Najena, rare spawn (ph must be one of the wanderers in front), but he drops a magical spear and shield every time. Level 14.

https://wiki.project1999.com/A_warbone_spearman

Hnerrir
09-20-2019, 03:10 PM
How much do the Combine weapons run?

Giving more and more thought towards rolling Ogre SK, so also interested in an early magic option that's not going to require the early faction work of the good city quested weapons...

Vidar
09-20-2019, 04:29 PM

Can get these hands from frogloks in qeynos Aqueducts

Kayso2
09-20-2019, 04:40 PM
Can get these hands from frogloks in qeynos Aqueducts

Yep, down by Qbert. Not a rare drop and a great exp spot for an ungeared duo-trio

Vidar
09-20-2019, 04:54 PM

5+
Trumpy Heads Quest
We Harvester
Jaggad Pine Crook
Shining Star of Light
Screaming Mace
Pugius
Gladius

15+
Runed Totem Staff
Thunder Staff
Riptide Spear
Bone Spear
Mystical Claws of Jojo
Crookstinger

20+
Bone Bladed Claymore
Shiny Brass Halberd
Barbed Leather Whip
Grobb Cleaver

What is the 'we harvester'?

Jibartik
09-20-2019, 05:00 PM
wee harvester? Its a 2h blunt weapon for druid (https://wiki.project1999.com/Wee_Harvester) but maybe only druid idk, its an easy quest, also could reward you with a very good starter belt for halflings too!

Starts in misty 8)

It was low key as popular as a stein of moggok for basically every druid that was good first few months of live classic!

Its a very historic and powerful weapon.

I mean you saw someone holding a shovel back then and it was like WOWY WOW WOW, then you tell them there is a rare one with GOOD stats for low levels? And its lee33t. 8)

HedleyKow
09-20-2019, 05:11 PM

You can use magic gloves to make a Monk's unarmed fists magic. Mesh gloves from upper guk is an easy to obtain option.

Also, as someone else already pointed out, at level 30 their fists are innately magical.

Tethler
09-20-2019, 09:56 PM
This guy paths in front of Najena, rare spawn (ph must be one of the wanderers in front), but he drops a magical spear and shield every time. Level 14.

https://wiki.project1999.com/A_warbone_spearman

Neat! 6/29 is a pretty damn good ratio to get at level 15 in classic too!

Jibartik
09-20-2019, 09:57 PM

In my eternal struggle to relax and just decide to play a bertox necro I have now decided I am going to play a Innoruk necro, and so Im gonna try to get this guy to pop if you want to join me I will be in front of the broken door levels 10-17 :cool: Imagine spawning a named skelleton with a shield and a spear. That'd look so cool shambling about in the rocky lavastorm. That screenshot looks like a harryhausen movie still.

https://wiki.project1999.com/images/Npc_a_warbone_spearman.png

Coridan
09-21-2019, 11:47 AM
Tentacle Whip too

Danth
09-21-2019, 11:53 AM

It's level appropriate. That's marginally worse than a combine longsword (6/28) and equivalent to a vendor-bought nonmagic longsword. Bull Smasher at 6/20 has a very strong ratio for something obtainable in the early/mid-teens, but it's not magical. The players who were using tarnished weapons/etc well into the teens were hamstringing themselves unnecessarily. Paladins could obtain a Deepwater Harpoon at ridiculously low level if they knew about the quest, but the method of doing so does not presently work on P99 and probably never will.

Gladius and Pugius are Unrest drops so they're not practically obtainable until more like the mid/upper teens. Lesser Blade Fiend is also rather rare, although seemingly more common on P99 (where he's merely rare) than he was in the original game (where he was virtually a myth).

Danth

Vladere
11-15-2019, 01:53 PM
Is the Grobb cleaver available?

Benanov
11-15-2019, 02:01 PM
Paladins could obtain a Deepwater Harpoon at ridiculously low level if they knew about the quest, but the method of doing so does not presently work on P99 and probably never will.

Are you sure? We've low-level guildmates with DW Harpoon. It is a wonderful weapon.

Danth
11-15-2019, 02:35 PM
The folks I know of who obtained the Harpoon on Green/Teal used slightly different methods than were typically used in the original game, which was the same I as noticed when I did the quest years ago on P1999. I wasn't implying that the quest doesn't work on P1999, only that it doesn't behave exactly the same as it did in the original game. It's a nice low-mid level weapon, but it's long in the tooth by the mid 30's. Few players will want to push all the way to 50 wielding one, although it could be done.

Danth

Gatorsmash
11-15-2019, 02:46 PM
Is the Grobb cleaver available?

Yes. Did it last night at lvl 9. Paid an extremely helpful Halfling druid 15 plat (all I had) to kill the troll. I'll edit to add his name, guy road the paddle boat across the zone to help. And the grobb cleaver is awesome if you are wondering