PDA

View Full Version : Solution to the name controversy.

slowpoke68
09-19-2019, 03:19 PM
Right now the poll on this issue stands at 61 no name reservations to 59 yes name reservations on Green.

Again, it is the Dev's server, they have been the ones to put in all the work, so they can decide whatever they want on this issue. To quote Jeor Mormont, "your roof, your rules".

However, as I understand it, the touchstone for policy in this project has always been whether something is classic or not.

Unless I am wrong on my history, nothing could possibly be less classic than allowing people to keep their names from beta or transfer them from one server to a new server. With that in mind I hope the devs change their mind on names from Blue being reserved on Green. I say no name reservations at all is the only classic thing to do.

If you do go the non-classic route I suggest that you at least do it right. I would suggest that if people want to keep their names from Blue to use on Green, you should charge for it and use the proceeds to help with hardware/maintenance costs.

I think $40.00 US for the privilege of reserving up to eight names on Green would be more than reasonable. Also, I'm sure that people who have been around for ever and who are "famous", have put so many hours into the game that they would be more than happy to make such a donation.

It is really a win/win for everyone.

Anyways, last word from me on the subject. Pretty much anything else I could do would be a better use of my time than engaging in forum pvp over the naming policy on a new server for a 20 year old game. When I find myself arguing on forums I know it is time for me to check my priorities. Taking a break from all things gaming until about 10/15.

Will see you guys back then and I am really looking forward to Green what ever the Devs decide :)

Wurl
09-19-2019, 03:21 PM
nothing could possibly be less classic
Pretty limited imagination, mate.

I love it when people on this forum try to wield "classic" as a weapon, like that guy that wrote 10000 words on why we should be able to train and KS for the first year of launch, because that's how long it took before the PnP was written down.

AegnorP99
09-19-2019, 04:07 PM
I don't mind the name reservations in theory, but I would definitely support some kind of "level 1, no gear, not played in 6+ months" character purge to open up some names. It is pretty tough to find a good name that isn't taken these days.

Vart
09-19-2019, 07:01 PM
A lvl 1 purge is one thing and probably a good idea.

Some players have had their names for a decade , green is set to merge into blue so duplicate names are a 100% avoidable issue and shouldn't be allowed.

These threads about guys wanting to hijack the name another player has had for over 10 years...

....Like some kind of EQ identity theft.. lol

Chortles Snort|eS
09-19-2019, 08:15 PM
ok DeRe blizzArd Dev OP

Nirgon
09-19-2019, 08:16 PM
https://i.imgur.com/Mx9Xbol.jpg

Chortles Snort|eS
09-19-2019, 10:31 PM
dat no Look LIke u WinniNg @ EverQuest

big CrinGe 4 u

Halfcell
09-20-2019, 06:41 AM
Should be any toon under level 20, that has also not been played in 6 months, that name is available on green.

If your toon is under level 20 and hasn't been played in that long no one knows you as that toon, no one is going to miss you, and clearly you dont care about it enough to just log it in to reserve the name.

People could even go back through friend's accounts who quit and just log in all their alts to keep them safe. You could go through all of those toons you reserved names with on blue and never got to making, and keep that name off of green too.

The problem isn't active or past serious players reserving names, the problem is the guy who tried out P99 8 years ago, made a few characters with cool names and never ever played again and hasn't even thought about playing P99 since the last Mayan calendar.

There are thousands of "that guy" in P99's history and robbing active players of good choices for the sake of people who will never play P99 again just sucks.

Octopath
09-20-2019, 06:55 AM
I just wish I could get my lvl 1-10ish chanters name back. I can’t remember the login details from years past

Tethler
09-20-2019, 07:36 AM
Sure, holding names isn't classic, but it totally makes sense when you consider that the staff is small. When the servers merge years down the road, the very small p99 staff would then have to deal with possibly hundreds of conflicting names. This seems like a simple way to preemptively avoid that future situation.

AbstractVision
09-20-2019, 10:41 AM
We could just refer to the rules which should be enforced but nobody follows.

https://www.project1999.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17488

I am pretty tired of seeing stupid non-fantasy names everywhere.

I say limit the naming options even more, add the entire dictionary to the name rejection list. I dont want to see more Furrrry Neckbeard or Quickportss Mcgee names.